Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay buys Prince's "Yellow Cloud" guitar for $137,500

CF4L

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16516846/jim-irsay-indianaplis-colts-owner-buys-prince-yellow-cloud-guitar-137500-auction-beverly-hills

Colts owner Jim Irsay buys Prince's 'Yellow Cloud' guitar for $137,500

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has purchased the "Yellow Cloud" electric guitar that Prince used in numerous concerts until the mid-1990s.

Irsay, a collector of musical instruments, paid $137,500 for the guitar at an auction in Beverly Hills on Saturday.

Heritage Auctions, which conducted the auction, says the solid-body guitar was a favorite of the late musician from the late 1980s to the mid-1990s.

Prince died on April 21 at his Paisley Park home in Minnesota of an accidental overdose of fentanyl.

Irsay also has instruments once owned by musicians Jerry Garcia of Grateful Dead, John Lennon and Ringo Starr of The Beatles and singer-songwriter Bob Dylan.

The auction also featured other Prince-related memorabilia.

I think this is a good use for Irsay's play money.     His hobbies are likely not like yours and mine....    he can indulge himself in ways you and I can't even imagine.

So,  he buys a Prince guitar...    to go along with ones from Jerry Garcia and John Lennon and Bob Dylan and a drum set from Ringo.       Good for Irsay....     I love that famous picture of him in a white tuxedo laying at midfield of LOS surrounded by his guitar collection.....    I'd like to think that captures some of what makes Irsay tick.

Good for him.....    rare,  special and unique are always worth investing in.....

16 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Shame such an amazing piece of musical history is going into a rich billionaire's closet as a toy to satisfy his ego, rather than going in a museum where it belongs for fans to enjoy. 

You seem to obviously not like Irsay. Lol

He cares greatly about his musical instruments. It's not a toy to him im sure. He enjoys collecting those one of a kind pieces and he takes great care of them. I think it's awesome that he was able to get it!

48 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Shame such an amazing piece of musical history is going into a rich billionaire's closet as a toy to satisfy his ego, rather than going in a museum where it belongs for fans to enjoy. 

He displays his collections and also loans them to different places to be put on display. You might have a collection you like but does that mean you feed your ego or do you just like to collect something? Jim may not be a great guitar player but he does play the guitar. He has since he was a kid. Your off base comment about his ego just shows your jealousy.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He displays his collections and also loans them to different places to be put on display. You might have a collection you like but does that mean you feed your ego or do you just like to collect something? Jim may not be a great guitar player but he does play the guitar. He has since he was a kid. Your off base comment about his ego just shows your jealousy.

I don't think Bogie is jealous. After chatting with him in recent months I know his favorite musician is Prince so I get his point. Having said that it's not Irsay's fault that it was auctioned off and he just happened to have the jack to buy it + he collects famous guitar's, it is a hobby of his. It could have been any Joe Blow that could have bought it but it was Irsay so it will make Colts news. I would blame the people that auctioned it off as they could've just put the guitar in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame for display. If Irsay wouldn't have bought it, someone else would've.

@crazy, I see your point as well as Irsay collects guitar's and I see nothing wrong with him buying it if it is being auctioned off.  

6 hours ago, Bogie said:

Good lord man, lose the hate.  The vast, vast majority of the "fans" would get just as much enjoyment from seeing a picture.  Irsay will actually play the guitar, oh, and by the way, he is known to lend pieces of his collection out for fans to enjoy. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think Bogie is jealous. After chatting with him in recent months I know his favorite musician is Prince so I get his point. Having said that it's not Irsay's fault that it was auctioned off and he just happened to have the jack to buy it + he collects famous guitar's, it is a hobby of his. It could have been any Joe Blow that could have bought it but it was Irsay so it will make Colts news. I would blame the people that auctioned it off as they could've just put the guitar in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame for display. If Irsay wouldn't have bought it, someone else would've.

@crazy, I see your point as well as Irsay collects guitar's and I see nothing wrong with him buying it if it is being auctioned off.  

Maybe jealous is the wrong word to use? Could be but I bet if Bogie had the jack he would have bought it. He does get his digs in at Irsay when he can.

8 hours ago, Robert Johnson said:

I'd like to have a look at his whole collection.

A little over a year ago I had the opportunity to visit the Colts at the practice facility.  They have a museum room that has a lot of the excess memorabilia not in the main museum.  You wouldn't believe the collection.

Besides all of the football related collections, which included Baltimore Colts stuff, there were dozens of other prizes.  Like a letter from Charles Manson, original movie script from Jerry McGuire, and drawers and cabinets full of treasures.  It was what you'd expect in a billionaires closet.

If anyone is interested, I could post a few pictures.

8 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

You seem to obviously not like Irsay. Lol

He cares greatly about his musical instruments. It's not a toy to him im sure. He enjoys collecting those one of a kind pieces and he takes great care of them. I think it's awesome that he was able to get it!

they do spend a lot of time here for someone thats not even a fan of the team.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

A little over a year ago I had the opportunity to visit the Colts at the practice facility.  They have a museum room that has a lot of the excess memorabilia not in the main museum.  You wouldn't believe the collection.

Besides all of the football related collections, which included Baltimore Colts stuff, there were dozens of other prizes.  Like a letter from Charles Manson, original movie script from Jerry McGuire, and drawers and cabinets full of treasures.  It was what you'd expect in a billionaires closet.

Please do.

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You should post pictures

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

they do spend a lot of time here for someone thats not even a fan of the team.

Well, the mods (and the forum rules, I believe) encourage participation by other fans.

As for the topic itself, that is an awesome guitar and I am sure Mr. Irsay will cherish it. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Here's a couple pics from the practice facility museum.  I've got a few more but I'm not sure how much space we're allowed.  I compressed the pics, I hope they're viewable.

Colts Practice Facility 1.jpg

Colts Practice Facility 2.jpg

Colts Practice Facility 3.jpg

Colts Practice Facility 4.jpg

Thanks for posting, that's pretty cool for sure.

On 6/26/2016 at 1:27 AM, Bogie said:

Clueless again

On 6/26/2016 at 0:27 AM, Bogie said:

If the fans wanted to enjoy it they should have pooled their money together and bought it.

10 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Appropriate that Irsay would add one of Prince's guitars to his collection, since Prince will always be linked to the Colts...

Absolutely.  How can one remember our SB win without remembering Prince singing purple rain? 

On June 26, 2016 at 3:08 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

CBE.....

Is that what you meant to write....?       I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd ask.....

For what it's worth,  the people who did the auction CAN'T just put the guitar in the RnR HoF.     It's not their property to do that with.       The Prince Estate owns it.     If the guitar doesn't sell for a certain price,  then the estate takes the guitar back to do with it whatever they want.      Likely hold on to it longer until it's worth more and sell it then.     But the auctioneers don't own it.     They're just the middle men with specific orders.

Hope that clarifies....

Prince died without a will and I believe that there is some contention between siblings/family so, I'm not surprised to see them auction this guitar.  Maybe they'll liquidate everything. Seems a shame.  If Prince had a will he could have specified what he wanted done.  He loved Minneapolis and it seems like they should have some kind of memorial to him.  Sad

I believe the Jim Irsay also has some other historical things that are unrelated to guitars. 

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

CBE.....

Is that what you meant to write....?       I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd ask.....

For what it's worth,  the people who did the auction CAN'T just put the guitar in the RnR HoF.     It's not their property to do that with.       The Prince Estate owns it.     If the guitar doesn't sell for a certain price,  then the estate takes the guitar back to do with it whatever they want.      Likely hold on to it longer until it's worth more and sell it then.     But the auctioneers don't own it.     They're just the middle men with specific orders.

Hope that clarifies....

Thanks, I did not know that. I learn something new everyday. I guess I was wrong with that thought.

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks, I did not know that. I learn something new everyday. I guess I was wrong with that thought.

One more example of why people should do just the tiniest bit of research before throwing blame around at the wrong people. :P 

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

One more example of why people should do just the tiniest bit of research before throwing blame around at the wrong people. :P 

I already said I was wrong what else more do you want?? (sarcasm) I am just messing with you. Hey I am wrong sometimes it happens. I don't always Google everything and Post on the spur of the moment at times. I did pick Denver to win the SuperBowl though before the season even started so hey I have that haha 

I even tried to break it down to the New England fans that were in here that Brock was going out and Peyton was coming back in for the Playoffs. I even guaranteed that the Broncos would beat the Patriots just to save them the trouble from coming in here at our Colts Site :-) Once the Broncos beat the Patriots I knew the SB would be a piece of cake. One time I wish I would've been in Vegas.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NewColts between that and saying no way the Warriors would lose Game 7 at home I have been wrong twice in the last week haha Maybe I should stick to predicting Football? Actually thanks for that info though because I had no idea it worked like that.

Hey,   I didn't think GS would lose game 7 either!     

Lose game 7,  on their home court?     And lose the final 3 games in a row?     Two of the three on the Warriors home court?         To quote from The Princess Brde:      INCONCEIVABLE!!

Otherwise,   no worries.....   we're good.     No harm,  no foul!     :thmup:

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey,   I didn't think GS would lose game 7 either!     

Lose game 7,  on their home court?     And lose the final 3 games in a row?     Two of the three on the Warriors home court?         To quote from The Princess Brde:      INCONCEIVABLE!!

Otherwise,   no worries.....   we're good.     No harm,  no foul!     :thmup:

Who is Wallace Shawn?  AmIright?  Wait?  Is this Jeopardy?

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Ooohh, we were looking for Vizinni.  Vizinni.  But you're still in the lead.  

I would like to challenge.  The answer was worded ambiguously.  It wasn't clear if you wanted the character name or the actor name.  GIVE ME MY MONEY!

lol

Forgive the thread drift.....

But the Princess Bride is one of the most beloved and oft quoted movies in cinematic history!

It never gets old!       Your kids and your grand kids will be watching and quoting from it for years and years to come!

As you wish.......

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Forgive the thread drift.....

But the Princess Bride is one of the most beloved and oft quoted movies in cinematic history!

It never gets old!       Your kids and your grand kids will be watching and quoting from it for years and years to come!

As you wish.......

It was one of the few movies that followed along very well with the book.  The book was better though because you learned more of the back story of Montoya, Fezzik and Vizzini.

It was a struggle to get through the beginning of the book as Buttercup worked here way up to be one of the most beautiful woman in the world.  But after that it really took off.

On 6/25/2016 at 11:27 PM, Bogie said:

He lent his Jerry Garcia guitar to Jon Mayer to use on the Dead & Company Summer Tour this year, so fans ARE getting to enjoy it, and in a far better way than staring at it through plexiglass.

http://www.jambase.com/article/colts-owner-jim-irsay-shares-tiger-guitar-dead-company

On June 27, 2016 at 10:42 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Irsay's next purchases: 

A Little Red Corvette, and a Raspberry Beret :)

All joking aside, that guitar is so bada$$!! 

Favorite post of this page Lollygager. :thmup: 

Uh huh. A great new addition to Jimmy's collection. 

I have to ask this question. I apologize in advance if it's a dumb question, but can Jimmy play guitar well or does he merely accumulate them for display purposes only? I don't care either way. 

I always wanna know how talented music enthusiasts really are. I applaud Jimmy whatever his level of artistic expertise truly is.