Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Reportedly Will Interview Mike Zimmer For Hc Vacancy

Restored

Now that Spags has agreed to become DC of the Saints, I hope we hire Zimmer has our HC so we have a talented defensive mind on board and then we hire someone like Tom Clements as our OC from the Packers. He has developed both Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn and could do great things with Luck and the offense.

As for DC, we could hire another young creative minded coach who believes in an aggressive style defense.

Zimmer is who i want. I think he would be a great hire.

Zimmer might not be a bad pick. Definitely a step up for him to come here from Cincy. Not denegrating the Bengals, but they are pretty notorious for being frugal. Even if Zimmer winds up being the guy, I hope Grigson at least interviews Marty Schottenheimer for the job. Schottenheimer's experience could be a firm anchor for the team during this transition period and get us headed in the right direction. I always admired Schottenheimer and would love to see him get one last shot at a SB title with a team that he helped set on a new course.

I think you can opposite and make a very reasonable argument that Manning may impede some coaches wanting to come here. It is an albatross to deal with the situation and his contract could cause delays in the ability to rebuild quickly. The other thing that I think would be appealing to potential coaches is the chance to start their career with a franchise QB who may be around for the next 15 years.

I am not advocating either here - just saying that the opposite of each of your suggestions has a perfectly reasonable alternative.

Even if Peyton is healthy, we would still be drafting Luck.

Any coach will feel comfortable with that. Not sure about franchise QB ( Luck could be bad )

Zimmer might not be a bad pick. Definitely a step up for him to come here from Cincy. Not denegrating the Bengals, but they are pretty notorious for being frugal. Even if Zimmer winds up being the guy, I hope Grigson at least interviews Marty Schottenheimer for the job. Schottenheimer's experience could be a firm anchor for the team during this transition period and get us headed in the right direction. I always admired Schottenheimer and would love to see him get one last shot at a SB title with a team that he helped set on a new course.

Why on earth would the Colts hire a 70 yr. old head coach? That would be a gigantic mistake and one that most certainly will not happen.

I think if the Colts hire Zimmer, the idea is to keep Manning, regardless if they draft Luck, or trade the pick. There isn't a quality DC that is going to come here and be the DC, when their is a vacancy at HC. Zimmer needs to be signed already. I could however see a scenario where Del Rio is brought in as the DC if they go with an offensive minded guy. But mark my words, if Zimmer is brough in, chances are Manning (when healthy come March 8th) will be retained. If they go with an offensive minded guy, I can see Manning elsewhere for the rest of his career.

Before anyone starts throwing d coordinator and special teams names into the fire, we first need the head guy! Get Zimmer please! Let him fix and make the defense dominant and allow Peyton/Luck to continue to run the offense.

Zimmer for HC, Tom Clements from the Packers as OC, then maybe Del Rio for DC.

Hire Zimmer as HC, Del Rio as DC and then start searching for a good OC (maybe bring in Billick for OC if he wants to) and ST coach.

I doubt Brian Billick has interest in being an OC. I think he's another one of those guys who is happy with his media gig and genearlly if a guy gets one of those the only way you can bring them back is with a lot of money and a head coaching job.

Also Christensen is one of the few coaches who hasn't been fired yet. Clearly that could change or it could be the Colts are going to keep him. A few people inside the NFL seem to think he is one of the better young coaches in football. Keep in mind he did find away to make us think Curtis Painter was a valid option at QB for about three weeks. That has to count for something! (the last part was a joke.)

I doubt Brian Billick has interest in being an OC. I think he's another one of those guys who is happy with his media gig and genearlly if a guy gets one of those the only way you can bring them back is with a lot of money and a head coaching job.

Also Christensen is one of the few coaches who hasn't been fired yet

. Clearly that could change or it could be the Colts are going to keep him. A few people inside the NFL seem to think he is one of the better young coaches in football. Keep in mind he did find away to make us think Curtis Painter was a valid option at QB for about three weeks. That has to count for something! (the last part was a joke.)

Is it that he hasn't been fired yet ( that alone is an accompishment ) or has he been "retained" with the intention that he will be our OC next year? I seem to be hearing both.

I don't know Mike Zimmer would be the best choice for us, however he is the biggest name among possible candidates. IMO he would be defensive-minded, but this team with Manning and/or Luck would require an offensive minded HC supported by a really good DC.

I'm a little disturbed, because after Irsay fired Polians, there were some names of candidates... Now we are just guessing abbout possible candidates (okay, Mike Zimmer and Carmichael will be interviewed for sure).

I hope this story ends good too. There are too many assistants to replace...

http://www.stampedeb...oaching-vacancy

If this is true, I hope we don't waste a whole lot of time in bringing him in. He's already interviewed in Miami and Tampa Bay and I think the way he leads that defense in Cinnci would be perfect for our team. Irsay and Grigson have talked about finding that "leader of men" and Zimmer fits that description perfectly. The Bengals players rave about him and he has consistently had that defense up there in the top ten, even this year with a rookie QB. Lets get him.

Sorry but I have to ask when did rookie QBs start playing a role in defensive ranking? LOL.

Sorry but I have to ask when did rookie QBs start playing a role in defensive ranking? LOL.

A rookie QB tends to not be able to keep drives going and makes a lot of mistakes which leand to turnovers. This puts more pressure on the defense and tends to put them in bad position against the opposing defense.

Painter was not a rookie, but you saw how poor QB play would hinder our defense. His inability to extend drives put our defense out there way to much which caused them to wear down as the game went out. His mistakes tended to put the defense out on the field with the opposing offense all ready in the redzone.

Poor QB play can really hinder the defense. Now with that said Dalton was not that bad compared to some of the other rookies and QBs out there.

I love Zimmer and think he is a great coach and was one of my favorites as a replacement for Caldwell. Something struck me this morning. He is 55 years old. You figure he might have 5-7 years with Luck and then be replaced with someone else. So I do wonder if they want a younger guy who likely can be there the whole time.

http://www.stampedeb...oaching-vacancy

If this is true, I hope we don't waste a whole lot of time in bringing him in. He's already interviewed in Miami and Tampa Bay and I think the way he leads that defense in Cinnci would be perfect for our team. Irsay and Grigson have talked about finding that "leader of men" and Zimmer fits that description perfectly. The Bengals players rave about him and he has consistently had that defense up there in the top ten, even this year with a rookie QB. Lets get him.

One thing, and this is likely just me, but...

the source on this story is ESPN. You cite BBS as well but all that clown is doing is repeating the same ESPN info that you are. It drives me nuts when he gets credit for anything.

End of personal rant...

I love Zimmer and think he is a great coach and was one of my favorites as a replacement for Caldwell. Something struck me this morning. He is 55 years old. You figure he might have 5-7 years with Luck and then be replaced with someone else. So I do wonder if they want a younger guy who likely can be there the whole time.

I would love for them to go younger with the coach. To me it seems to fit the profile of the entire organization getting younger.

One thing, and this is likely just me, but...

the source on this story is ESPN. You cite BBS as well but all that clown is doing is repeating the same ESPN info that you are. It drives me nuts when he gets credit for anything.

End of personal rant...

I agree with you. That guy is off his rocker. I wonder what he has to talk about anymore since he talked about Bill Polian 99% of the time!

Because rookie QB's don't stay on the field and then your defense is therefore on the field more. We saw it this year with us. You struggle at the QB position, your team goes 3 and out and your defense is put out there for a insane amount of minutes.

Also, I didn't mean to cite BBS as a crediable source, I just threw it out there incase someone was like "ESPN DOESNT KNO ANYTHIN BOUT THE COLTS!!111"

Huh? 55 year old coach is old huh? I'm guessing Tom Coughlin (65) will be dead in a few years then, eh?

A coach is not a player. So long as they do their job, and stay current with the trends and keep their team competitive, they'll be fine. No reason to start projecting the replacement for a new coach. He'l be replaced if he is a failure, or if he retires. Could be 2 years, could be 20. We don't know. No sense really even suggesting it.

Moving from one 2-14 coach to another? No thanks...as DC yes, but no as HC.

As for Zimmer, I've been on his bandwagon for a while. Have watched a lot of Bengals over the last few seasons (yeah, lucky me), and Zimmer looks to me like he has "it." He is a leader of men for sure (look at all the poor character players on that team he has kept in line and helped succeed), but can also scheme, adjust, evaluate talent, and put players in the best situations to play at a high level. Very solid candidate who eats, breaths, and sleeps football.

2-14 might not be too bad if you have 0-16 talent.