Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Reportedly Will Interview Mike Zimmer For Hc Vacancy

Restored

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/1/19/2718947/colts-reportedly-will-interview-mike-zimmer-for-head-coaching-vacancy

If this is true, I hope we don't waste a whole lot of time in bringing him in. He's already interviewed in Miami and Tampa Bay and I think the way he leads that defense in Cinnci would be perfect for our team. Irsay and Grigson have talked about finding that "leader of men" and Zimmer fits that description perfectly. The Bengals players rave about him and he has consistently had that defense up there in the top ten, even this year with a rookie QB. Lets get him.

I dont think there's any hurry until after the Super Bowl..right..

We can interview a half dozen people...and most pro football big shots are headed to Indy in 2 weeks anyway.

I want to know yesterday but management should take its time and get exactly who they want..

Spagnola might come back if we offered the HC job...past Philly ties with Grigson?

We can interview a half dozen people...and most pro football big shots are headed to Indy in 2 weeks anyway.

I want to know yesterday but management should take its time and get exactly who they want..

Spagnola might come back if we offered the HC job...past Philly ties with Grigson?

Moving from one 2-14 coach to another? No thanks...as DC yes, but no as HC.

As for Zimmer, I've been on his bandwagon for a while. Have watched a lot of Bengals over the last few seasons (yeah, lucky me), and Zimmer looks to me like he has "it." He is a leader of men for sure (look at all the poor character players on that team he has kept in line and helped succeed), but can also scheme, adjust, evaluate talent, and put players in the best situations to play at a high level. Very solid candidate who eats, breaths, and sleeps football.

My only concern about Mike Zimmer is that he seems like he has Todd Haley potential. He's really emotional, and that can be a good thing, but it can also be a bad thing.

This is a good point, but as I understood it, Haley had more of a Polian attitude (my way or the highway and caused major rifts in the front office and with ownership), where Zimmer seems to me to be a genuinely nice guy who relates to people on a human level and gets fired up when it comes to football.

This is a good point, but as I understood it, Haley had more of a Polian attitude (my way or the highway and caused major rifts in the front office and with ownership), where Zimmer seems to me to be a genuinely nice guy who relates to people on a human level and gets fired up when it comes to football.

yes I remember when his wife passed away and the Bengals all rallied behind him

I think we are just in the interview phase right now, and we've likely told every candidate (and will continue to do so) that it's a long process, and we'll call them when we've made our decision. A lot of these guys aren't even planning on making decisions themselves until they have had a few weeks off anyway.

As the last two days have shown us, there are a lot of good candidates out there. We aren't going to "miss out" by not making and rash, snap-decisions.

Im down for Zimmer.

Any up and coming guy from the Ravens (defensive side), 9ers (preferrably defensive side), Packers (offensive side), Steelers (defensive side) or Saints (offensive side).

We need to stay away from anyone on the Broncos staff.

I wouldn't mind Zimmer. But def not Spaggs as HC. I would really like Del Rio as DC. Not sure if we should keep Cyde around or not. I did not like the play calling very much this year but that could be because of all the changes we had at QB. I wouldn't mind seeing all new HC, DC and OC. That way they could all start out on the same page and there aren't any hard feelings about someone getting his buddy's job or whatnot.

I would really like Del Rio as DC.

I actually this is the best way to quickly retool this defense. Del Rio is a 4-3 guy and could probably use alot of the current players on the roster.

I actually think he wasnt even a horrible HC either. Not elite for sure, but certainly not horrible.

Seems like people are just looking for the opposite of Caldwell, and I think that's dangerous. I like Zimmer, and I like the way his players talk about him, and I like his temperament ... as a coordinator. I think it's good for the head coach to have his composure on the sidelines, not screaming and running all over the place. Not to say that's how Zimmer is or would be. I certainly understand why he's a top candidate around the league. It's just ... something about the way he comes across that makes me wonder how good he'd be in the big office.

I think Colts want to interview Raven D coach next week, then should b either him, Zimmer or Carmichael; that should be the short list-Can't see going wrong with any of those 3 .

i think it is funny you are deciding what the short list should be.

I like Zimmer as HC and Spags as DC. I'm not sure that Spags wants to be an HC again yet. This combo would help Indy develop a great D without having to switch to the 3-4, which to many, seems to be the only way the Colts can have a great D.

Not sure who I'd want for OC.

With Teerlinck et. al. gone it seems that they are totally cleaning house; I hope it's effective.

I would disagree with this. I think there is a hurry to some extent so you can get the man you want and the top assistants who will be in the running at other places as well.

And Spags as HC - why? The just got rid of one 2-14 coach.

If Peyton is healthy and returning, this hiring coaches becomes way too easy.

Most of them are hesitant and dont want to start all over.

I think you can opposite and make a very reasonable argument that Manning may impede some coaches wanting to come here. It is an albatross to deal with the situation and his contract could cause delays in the ability to rebuild quickly. The other thing that I think would be appealing to potential coaches is the chance to start their career with a franchise QB who may be around for the next 15 years.

I am not advocating either here - just saying that the opposite of each of your suggestions has a perfectly reasonable alternative.

Seems like people are just looking for the opposite of Caldwell, and I think that's dangerous. I like Zimmer, and I like the way his players talk about him, and I like his temperament ... as a coordinator. I think it's good for the head coach to have his composure on the sidelines, not screaming and running all over the place. Not to say that's how Zimmer is or would be. I certainly understand why he's a top candidate around the league. It's just ... something about the way he comes across that makes me wonder how good he'd be in the big office.

I hear ya. Personally, I never had an issue with Caldwell's demeanor on the field, nor do I have an issue with Rex Ryan's on field demeanor. What I think is important is that calm, passion, and leadership are shown in the locker room, during practice, meetings, etc. In other words, regardless of public perception, how a coach acts in the privacy of his own team is more important. Rex obviously acts the same in both situations; that's why I would not want him to coach my team. From talking to Bengals fans/watching the franchise operate/watching games, I get the feeling that Zimmer is no nonsense and fiery in public, but is more calm in private. I think the bottom line is that he is a really intense dude, and he very well could be better suited to be a coordinator, but I do find him to be an intriguing option. The Colts are rolling the dice with any of the current candidates.