Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I can't be the only one who thinks this

I think Floyd is worth taking but if someone wanted to debate that we should take an O.Lineman at #18 I wouldn't argue it. I would be ok with Stanley or Kelly at 18. Stanley will probably go Top 10 though. I don't see it but if Elliott is there at 18 and we take Elliott at 18, the people that Post here will be calling for Grigson to get the boot with pure bashing. A lot here already are haha. Out of curiosity who would you take at 18?

19 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

None of the pass rushers in this class do anything for me. Sure, there's one that I really like (Calhoun) but I wouldn't lose any sleep if we didn't draft any.

I understand the need but I would rather spend picks on impact players.

Look at my mock draft, I didn't draft any pass rushers. Completely agree with you.

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Stanley might go top 3 pending what the Chargers do.

I think Stanley at 3 is a stretch.      I think it's possible,  but not likely.

As to rushers,    there just aren't many in this class.   

But scouts see players differently than fans do.      A fan sees what a player IS.      A scout tries to see what a player CAN BE.        That's why sometimes a pick doesn't pan out.     Because the player doesn't turn into what the scout hoped he would.     There are all sorts of reasons for that.     But scouts can make or break a team's draft by their ability to correctly or incorrectly forecast what a player can be......

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Stanley at 3 is a stretch.      I think it's possible,  but not likely.

As to rushers,    there just aren't many in this class.   

But scouts see players differently than fans do.      A fan sees what a player IS.      A scout tries to see what a player CAN BE.        That's why sometimes a pick doesn't pan out.     Because the player doesn't turn into what the scout hoped he would.     There are all sorts of reasons for that.     But scouts can make or break a team's draft by their ability to correctly or incorrectly forecast what a player can be......

Chargers are taking Bosa Buckner Ramsey or Stanley

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Parry was decent but he relies a lot on Anderson beside him.

Billings gives the Colts a DOMINANT NT

I think we have more pressing needs though that need to be addressed--by the time we get to #18 I don't think there will be an edge guy worth a 1st rd pick.  If we don't go O-line (Conklin or Kelly) at #18 we need to look at the secondary--Apple and Alexander being the best options

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

None of the pass rushers in this class do anything for me. Sure, there's one that I really like (Calhoun) but I wouldn't lose any sleep if we didn't draft any.

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think that's the absolute mindset of the Colts. I believe they've acquired the impact coaching positions already. I firmly attest that the draft & correct FAs will mirror the directive of their chosen paths, fits, & schemes. We're going to find out soon what "impact players", if any, that will be. To me, impact players are the ones that come into this league & contribute right away and/or their first 2 seasons.

The term "impact" contains many sided definitions as to how well, quick, and a long lasting adjustment to excellent play they can achieve.  However, given all the changes that have happened since the last play of 2015, I think that's exactly what the franchise has demonstrated and pointed to.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

OL is the number one need followed by CB.  Class is deep enough at NT to wait until a later round.  Kelly, Whitehair or Conklin.  But if Elliot is somehow there at 18 I would turn in the card for him immediately!

its a stretch to  call NT a need.  i dont think thats even a top 5 need

its a pretty deep class for CBs too

19 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Parry was decent but he relies a lot on Anderson beside him.

Billings gives the Colts a DOMINANT NT

I've liked Ragland at #18. An "impact player" IMO right away. A nucleus for the defense. This guy has the wherewithal play/intelligence/attitude to form a very good defense that this franchise has sorely lacked for a very, very long time.

This to me is a very weak draft for olb and WR. But luckily it's a decent draft for O-line, cb and decent for ilb. I would much rather pick up Alexander, Jackson III, or apple in that order. I think a lower round G/C can step in easier than a CB

14 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

I've liked Ragland at #18. An "impact player" IMO right away. A nucleus for the defense. This guy has the wherewithal play/intelligence/attitude to form a very good defense that this franchise has sorely lacked for a very, very long time.

concerned about coverage skills

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

well the simple fact of the matter is if we dont have a pass rush which we were one of the worst in the league, we wont have a good defense again this year especially without a #2 corner. Soo whether or not you feel there is no standouts im 95% sure we will be drafting pass rush. I truly think we will regret passing on Spence if that happens

A lot of people are saying this. But there's a handful of guys I really like, and I think can be very good pass rushers.

Leonard Floyd

Noah Spence

Kamalei Correa

Shilique Calhoun

Emmanuel Ogbah

I think Shaq Lawson will be a solid starting OLB/DE. But I don't see him as being a dominant pass rusher. I see him as a guy who'll put up 6-8 sacks a year. I'm not sure what to think about Dodd. But I believe those 5 guys I listed above all have the potential to be double digit sack guys. Correa is way better than a lot of people think. He's the kind of guy I could see going in the 1st to many people's surprise, and coming in and balling out. I wouldn't mind trading down and taking him in the mid-late 20's. But I'm not saying all these guys are going to be stars, before anyone misinterprets my post, but I think they all have the potential to be.

I agree with the OP on this topic.  

When Polian drafted Jerry Hughes, he said he had been trying to find a 3rd pass rusher for a while and thought he finally found the right guy.   It's hard to find a really good one and when you're coach comes out and says there are no Von Millers in this draft, that tells me everything I need to know.

22 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I agree with the OP on this topic.  

When Polian drafted Jerry Hughes, he said he had been trying to find a 3rd pass rusher for a while and thought he finally found the right guy.   It's hard to find a really good one and when you're coach comes out and says there are no Von Millers in this draft, that tells me everything I need to know.

Do you know if Chuckie pulled to draft Werner? Hmmm!

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

its a stretch to  call NT a need.  i dont think thats even a top 5 need

its a pretty deep class for CBs too

It is a deep class for CBs so my first choice would be OL.  With Anderson and Jones both coming back from serious injuries and Perry not being a true starter, I see him as more of a rotational player, than I would make NT a need.  Chuck and Ryan have always preached run the ball and stop the run.  With this class of DL we might be able to find a real starter at the position.  I have to admit I was hoping we might sign "Pot Roast" in FA for a couple of years.  He stops the run. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Floyd has the most potential IMO. But I like guys like Jenkins and Fackrell. I agree about Calhoun though. He'll be special.

I forgot about Fackrell. I like him too. He's long and more athletic than you'd think. But I wouldn't take him in the 1st or anything. NFL.Com's draft tracker has him compared to Connor Barwin. That's a good comp IMO. I would put him right under Floyd, Spence, Correa, Calhoun, and Ogbah.

Floyd will be a double digit sack guy with a little development I have no doubt....And before anyone says anything about taking a developmental player in the first remember most prospects that are drafted are developing players to varying degrees no matter the round...Not finished prospects. We see this time and time again, Prospects while they have the physical talent to fulfill there expectations still most of the time have to get used to the mental speed of the game. Even #1 draft picks are not finished products and often take a year or so to develop. All of our favorite prospects have some developing to do in an area or multiple areas but I think Floyd has the work ethic, Flexibility, speed off the edge, agility and play recognition to go at 18 and possibly be All Pro. He also has a nice swim and spin move

No, you're not the only one.  I said basically the same thing in another thread.

The defense needs plenty of impact players and the oline can use an upgrade at at least one position.  There is no reason to sacrifice getting a very good player at a position needing an upgrade just to be wishful about the talent of an edge rusher.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Chargers are picking THIRD.

You listed FOUR possible names.

I'm not sure how unbelievable UNINTENTIONALLY funny that is.       Goodness gracious.         :facepalm:

Not to mention there has already been several threads citing twice as many articles that say the same thing.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

I forgot about Fackrell. I like him too. He's long and more athletic than you'd think. But I wouldn't take him in the 1st or anything. NFL.Com's draft tracker has him compared to Connor Barwin. That's a good comp IMO. I would put him right under Floyd, Spence, Correa, Calhoun, and Ogbah.

I think you're assuming that Grigson and other 3-4 teams view Calhoun and Ogbah as good candidates for a 3-4.

I'm very skeptical that teams view those guys that way.     I think it's just as likely if not more likely that they are viewed as more 4-3 DE's and not a good fit as 3-4 OLB's.       I hope I'm wrong,  but I'd be highly skeptical on those two based only on what I've read....

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Where were you guys when Grigson drafted a receiver in the first round last year? I don't understand all this talk about needs-based drafting.

Agreed. IMO, if Ragland is BPA at #18, then it would be a very good pick for Indy to form a stellar defense around this guy. Several have suggested that he lacks coverage skills via some of the NFL scouts & mock jocks. Got to see this kid play many times. He's very good, intelligent, & has the proven leadership qualities about him to become a force in this league. If he's there with the 18th pick and BPA is satisfied, I wouldn't be disappointed in the least by having the Colts grab him. Again, JMO.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you're assuming that Grigson and other 3-4 teams view Calhoun and Ogbah as good candidates for a 3-4.

I'm very skeptical that teams view those guys that way.     I think it's just as likely if not more likely that they are viewed as more 4-3 DE's and not a good fit as 3-4 OLB's.       I hope I'm wrong,  but I'd be highly skeptical on those two based only on what I've read....

Yeah I've been wondering about that since you mentioned it the other day. And like I said. I'm not real sure about Calhoun. I do think Ogbah could, but we need Superman or Dustin's opinion on this.

5 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Agreed. IMO, if Ragland is BPA at #18, then it would be a very good pick for Indy to form a stellar defense around this guy. Several have suggested that he lacks coverage skills via some of the NFL scouts & mock jocks. Got to see this kid play many times. He's very good, intelligent, & has the proven leadership qualities about him to become a force in this league. If he's there with the 18th pick and BPA is satisfied, I wouldn't be disappointed in the least by having the Colts grab him. Again, JMO.

Not speaking about Ragland specifically, but intelligence and being able to diagnose a play can make up for a lack of pure speed.  It can help in getting to the right spot half-a-step quicker than the player with more athleticism.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Chargers are picking THIRD.

You listed FOUR possible names.

I'm not sure how unbelievable UNINTENTIONALLY funny that is.       Goodness gracious.         :facepalm:

I fail to see how the original comment is unbelievable.  I would think that the Chargers have quite a few guys on their list as possibles.

8 minutes ago, crestmount said:

I fail to see how the original comment is unbelievable.  I would think that the Chargers have quite a few guys on their list as possibles.

Yes....   quite a few.....    and our young friend has narrowed it down to 4,  one of which might get picked 2nd, or not....

Our young friend is like a number of very young posters here....   they've VERY quick to pull the trigger on decisions....       they think things are easy and obvious.....

I'm not saying he's wrong -- the pick could come from one of those four.    But it might not and he's already completely ruled that out.

The only pass rusher for a first round grade that intrigues me is Floyd but I think he goes to CHI. I think we should go BPA minus a WR and QB. If that BPA on Grigs board is a wuss rush great but we have so many holes on offense and defense that there's a ton of option that make sense.