Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock 1-17 based on team needs - Colts are now on the clock. Who are we taking?

Teams do not usually pick for biggest need, especially in the top 15, but let's imagine all the teams drafted best player available of a top 3 need. The draft would go something like this:

1 Tennessee Titans Laremy Tunsil OL Mississippi
2 Cleveland Browns Carson Wentz QB North Dakota St.
3 San Diego Chargers Ronnie Stanley OL Notre Dame
4 Dallas Cowboys Jalen Ramsey S Florida St.
5 Jacksonville Jaguars Myles Jack LB UCLA
6 Baltimore Ravens Joey Bosa DL Ohio St.
7 San Francisco 49ers Jared Goff QB California
8 Philadelphia Eagles Paxton Lynch QB Memphis
9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Vernon Hargreaves DB Florida
10 New York Giants DeForest Buckner DL Oregon
11 Chicago Bears Jack Conklin OL Michigan St.
12 New Orleans Saints Shaq Lawson DL Clemson
13 Miami Dolphins Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio St.
14 Oakland Raiders Reggie Ragland LB Alabama
15 Los Angeles Rams Laquon Treadwell WR Mississippi
16 Detroit Lions

Taylor Decker    

OL Ohio St. 
17 Atlanta Falcons Darron Lee LB Ohio St.

Colts are on the clock.

Who do you think we are taking?

A'Shawn Robinson DL Alabama
Jarran Reed DL Alabama
Sheldon Rankins DL Louisville
Josh Doctson WR TCU
Andrew Billings DL Baylor
Eli Apple DB Ohio St.
Jaylon Smith LB Notre Dame
Leonard Floyd LB Georgia
Will Fuller WR Notre Dame
Taylor Decker OL Ohio St.
Mackensie Alexander DB Clemson
Kevin Dodd DL Clemson
Corey Coleman WR Baylor
Vernon Butler DL Louisiana Tech
Hunter Henry TE Arkansas
Vonn Bell S Ohio St.
Kenny Clark DL UCLA
Derrick Henry RB Alabama
Emmanuel Ogbah DL Oklahoma St.
Ryan Kelly OL Alabama
Chris Jones DL Mississippi St.
Germain Ifedi OL Texas A&M
William Jackson III DB Houston

Kamalei Correa

DL

Boise St.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Noah Spence. And boom!!!!! We got our premier pass rusher we need so badly.

Even after a permanent ban from the Big Ten?

I could not risk my job and take a guy with his baggage at #18. More often than not, these types of risk players turn out to be bad bets.

I would leaning toward trading back in this scenario though.

A few players left on the board would be a good fit for us, and I would keep moving back until I had to take one.

9 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Leonard Floyd

If I had to take one then it would be him.

We might find ourselves in a great situation to move back. We could pick up extra picks and still get a good player. We could probably move back 8-10 spots and still get Ryan Kelly or William Jackson. 

If we moved back to 25-28 then we can pick up an extra third round pick. 

There are several players I think are worthy of the pick, and address a team need: 

Reed, Rankins, Billings, Apple, Alexander. There are another five that I think are worthy of a pick between 25-30, so if I could, I would trade back and try to get an extra third or early fourth. 

If I had to make a pick there, I think I'd take Reed.

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

There are several players I think are worthy of the pick, and address a team need: 

Reed, Rankins, Billings, Apple, Alexander. There are another five that I think are worthy of a pick between 25-30, so if I could, I would trade back and try to get an extra third or early fourth. 

Do you like Reed on the nose,  or do you see him moving up and down the line?

The only thing I don't like about taking O-Line in the first round is I don't like the idea of paying a guard or center 10+million a year after his rookie contract if he ends up being first round talent. And GOD love a duck if he doesn't pan out as first round talent.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

You're really looking at this situation wrong. 

I am not near as smart when it comes to college ball as a lot of you guys are, regarding the Draft, etc. but as of now I like Floyd a lot and we need a Pass Rusher. I have watched a lot of video of Floyd and he can fly and has length. If we go O.Line I would be ok with Kelly or Stanley if they are there. JMO's. I like Ogbah as well but hardly anyone in here even talks about him.

If it were me I think I'd go Billings but Floyd and Spence are tempting. If we can trade back before GB I think we could still get Billings and an extra third maybe. I think there are some guys at OLB, CB, and OL the can be had with our 2nd, 2 3rds, and 4th that can contribute or start.  CB Burns in the second, OLB Fackrell and OC Jack Allen in the 3rd, and OG Westerman in the 4th would be amazing but more likely Tretola or Spencer Drango in the 4th. If Yannick Ngokue is available in the 5th that would be amazing. 2 olbs to develop behind Mathis would really help our team. Of course every guy that I just mentioned might be gone before our picks. But that's the fun of this time of year. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not near as smart when it comes to college ball as a lot of you guys are, regarding the Draft, etc. but as of now I like Floyd a lot and we need a Pass Rusher. I have watched a lot of video of Floyd and he can fly and has length. If we go O.Line I would be ok with Kelly or Stanley if they are there. JMO's. I like Ogbah as well but hardly anyone in here even talks about him.

I agree. My point to the other poster was that the draft isn't about getting a player at a position that we desperately need. That's a reach and an easy way to draft a bust.

What we desperately need at 18 isn't an edge rusher, an OT, a CB, or ILB. What we desperately need are good players except at QB, WR, and TE. That's why none of the names you put would be bad choices.

9 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

If I had to take one then it would be him.

We might find ourselves in a great situation to move back. We could pick up extra picks and still get a good player. We could probably move back 8-10 spots and still get Ryan Kelly or William Jackson. 

If we moved back to 25-28 then we can pick up an extra third round pick. 

Yeah I think those two players in particular could fit well with our team and make an impact as rookies. If the guys who our front office likes a lot are gone, I won't be disappointed if we do a trade back like this.

5 hours ago, crestmount said:

Ryan Kelly--our greatest need is the O-line, and we desperately need a high quality Center--There is no way Kelly will still be available when we pick in the 2nd rd, so we have take the plunge now

I agree that our O-line is our greatest need (people forget the effect that a running game can have on improving a defense in terms of field position and time of possession) but a center at 18 might be early unless the staff is absolutely enamored with him. If we traded back a few spots and get an extra pick it becomes more realistic to me.

Edited by Track Guy

11 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Even after a permanent ban from the Big Ten?

I could not risk my job and take a guy with his baggage at #18. More often than not, these types of risk players turn out to be bad bets.

I would leaning toward trading back in this scenario though.

A few players left on the board would be a good fit for us, and I would keep moving back until I had to take one.

He's been clean and straightened his life out. Hasn't had any drug issues since the problems at OSU. 1 DUI, but I don't consider that anything major. I'm a big believer in people being able to change and turn their life around. Everyone wants to judge Spence on what other players have done, and I don't think that's fair to the kid. You know, he made some dumb mistakes like a lot of kids do, and he seems to have learned from them and moved on. I think he's fine.

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

He's been clean and straightened his life out. Hasn't had any drug issues since the problems at OSU. 1 DUI, but I don't consider that anything major. I'm a big believer in people being able to change and turn their life around. Everyone wants to judge Spence on what other players have done, and I don't think that's fair to the kid. You know, he made some dumb mistakes like a lot of kids do, and he seems to have learned from them and moved on. I think he's fine.

I always hope I am wrong about straying away from these types of players. 

More often than not, the risk does not outweigh the reward. 

I am okay with taking a risk like this in the second round. He could be there too, because players with this type of history usually drop far. I would not take the risk at #18 though. Way too important of a pick for this administration. Grigs cannot afford to fall on his face with this first round pick. 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

@Superman, what is your opinion on Sheldon Rankins?  He's one of my favorites, but I haven't noticed much talk about him on the forum so far.

Just heard GM Les Snead of the Rams say on NFL network that with his pick currently at 15 he is taking BPA regardless of need.  We did that last year taking Dorsett over DT Malcom Brown who went to the Patriots.  We have quite a few positions of need so BPA would probably address one of them by default.  The only caveat is the overall concensus from Irsay and our GM and coach is that fixing the interior of the OL is a top priority.  With no OL additions so far I think that speaks loudly to which position group will be addressed first. Of course that could change with a signing or a trade. 

24 minutes ago, Traines said:

@Superman, what is your opinion on Sheldon Rankins?  He's one of my favorites, but I haven't noticed much talk about him on the forum so far.

You don't see him often because he usually is associated as a 4-3 DT and not a 3-4 DE. I like Rankins initial burst better than Billings. Billings I believe can be a 3-4 NT or DE depending on how the DC wants to utilize him. Billings I think is going to be a special playmaking NT and Rankins will be a nice DE. Rankins initial burst put a ton of college o-line out of place and can be a disruptive. I truthfully would be ecstatic for either and you gotta love that Billings will only be 21 at the start of the season. Rankins initial burst on Billings would be insane. Tons of room to grow with either.

52 minutes ago, Traines said:

I like Rankins too, he's a mover and a gap shooter. I think he's a top 40 player, but not a good value at #18.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I believe Spence is a top 10 talent, therefore IMO, he would be the BPA. If that's what you meant.

I think you want Spence more because he's an edge rusher than a top 10 talent. I really don't think he's all that good. He seems like a Newsome clone. Same school, same situation, same skill set except Spence is a hair better I don't think he's as good as everyone makes him out to be. 

Plus we both know that despite meeting with him, the Colts have no intention of drafting him at 18.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think you want Spence more because he's an edge rusher than a top 10 talent. I really don't think he's all that good. He seems like a Newsome clone. Same school, same situation, same skill set except Spence is a hair better I don't think he's as good as everyone makes him out to be. 

Plus we both know that despite meeting with him, the Colts have no intention of drafting him at 18.

I think Spence is a lot better than Newsome.     Don't let the similarities in their story fool you.

Find a scouting service that doesn't think Spence is very good.      Newsroom didn't get drafted until the 5th round.      Who thinks Spence will fall that far?     No one.      4th round?     No one.

He's not getting past the 3rd and likely higher.     Spence didn't test well,  but look at his tape....   he plays fast.   He has a suddenness to his game that is really compelling.    Jumps off the tape, it's hard not to notice.

Spence has my attention.     Now, can he hold it?   Can he no screw things up?

We'll see........