Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Armchair speculation

Crunked

The following is my dot connecting, yours may differ, please feel free to agree, disagree or preferably share your opinions:

I think the Colts are feeling confident with Clayton Geathers to start opposite of Adams and may look to add a developmental safety /special teams guy in later rounds.

I think the Colts were ok with not being aggressive in keeping Freeman with Irving and Moore having a red shirt year behind him.

I think there is basically nothing of note rush linebacker wise in the draft from their current draft position which is a problem, and I hope we don't reach.

I think we need to add a RB to be a tandem for Gore, I am not screaming for Elliot with the 18th.....but if it happened I could accept it.

I think offensive line "COULD" be filled from rounds 2-4 and if we sign a first round G, C....that it will be a 4 year fix, as I cant see giving an Alex Mack sized contract after that if they pan out.

I think the Colts are content with D'joun Mustard starting opposite Davis......I am not sure I share that viewpoint and think they might add a DB in the first 3 rounds...

1 hour ago, crunked said:

The following is my dot connecting, yours may differ, please feel free to agree, disagree or preferably share your opinions:

I think the Colts are feeling confident with Clayton Geathers to start opposite of Adams and may look to add a developmental safety /special teams guy in later rounds.

I think the Colts were ok with not being aggressive in keeping Freeman with Irving and Moore having a red shirt year behind him.

I think there is basically nothing of note rush linebacker wise in the draft from their current draft position which is a problem, and I hope we don't reach.

I think we need to add a RB to be a tandem for Gore, I am not screaming for Elliot with the 18th.....but if it happened I could accept it.

I think offensive line "COULD" be filled from rounds 2-4 and if we sign a first round G, C....that it will be a 4 year fix, as I cant see giving an Alex Mack sized contract after that if they pan out.

I think the Colts are content with D'joun Mustard starting opposite Davis......I am not sure I share that viewpoint and think they might add a DB in the first 3 rounds...

Lol @ "D'Joun Mustard".....I agree with most of what you wrote but don't want Elliot in the 1st and you aren't advocating it, just saying you could accept it.

My hope is that they go CB in the 1st as long as it isn't a reach at 18. Then you have a number 2 CB that has two years to play opposite of Vontae...who has two years remaining on his current contract. Hopefully by then he would be able to take over VD's #1 spot with 3 years remaining on his rookie deal? JMO, which isn't worth much...lol.

17 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Lol @ "D'Joun Mustard".....I agree with most of what you wrote but don't want Elliot in the 1st and you aren't advocating it, just saying you could accept it.

My hope is that they go CB in the 1st as long as it isn't a reach at 18. Then you have a number 2 CB that has two years to play opposite of Vontae...who has two years remaining on his current contract. Hopefully by then he would be able to take over VD's #1 spot with 3 years remaining on his rookie deal? JMO, which isn't worth much...lol.

I think the OP has connected the dots fairly well.  But I'm not sure if what the Colts 'think' will actually come to pass.  Obviously, it's best case scenarios. 

I think the Colts scouts and coaches know a lot more about players than I do - but history has shown us that not addressing the line can be very costly.  

As far as Zeke, I'm a homer, true enough.  But if he's available at 18 and we don't take him, then I know Grigson is desperate.  There's no doubt, he'd be the BPA and in spite of popular opinion, RB is a long term need.  To keep filling it with late round draft picks and old FA's is not the answer.

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think the OP has connected the dots fairly well.  But I'm not sure if what the Colts 'think' will actually come to pass.  Obviously, it's best case scenarios. 

I think the Colts scouts and coaches know a lot more about players than I do - but history has shown us that not addressing the line can be very costly.  

As far as Zeke, I'm a homer, true enough.  But if he's available at 18 and we don't take him, then I know Grigson is desperate.  There's no doubt, he'd be the BPA and in spite of popular opinion, RB is a long term need.  To keep filling it with late round draft picks and old FA's is not the answer.

I appreciate your "homer" comment, lol we all can be one from time to time haha.

My thoughts are on the value of the 1st round pick as it pertains to the current FA market. To me a CB/LB/OT hold more value to Indy as they are a need and are positions that are costly in Free Agency. Plus their shelf lives tend to be longer than running backs. Again, jmo which certainly doesn't make it correct?

1 hour ago, crunked said:

Looks good to me, although I'd rather address another need in the first, I could live with Elliot. I think you've hit the LBer situation dead on. I'm not too concerned about the position with having Moore and Irving. I think we address a safety in the 3rd or 4th.

Yeah, Elliot at 18 would be a steal.   It won't happen though.   He'll be gone long before that.

I hope we fill a couple holes with a couple free agent signings.   Then they can concentrate on who they want/need in the draft.

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Elliot will be long gone before pick 18 unfortunately. I kind of wish he was there to see if Grigs would pull the trigger. Although I`m not in favor after drafting RB`s in round 1, I think he is the ONE player in this draft, that would make the biggest impact for the Colts. 

4 hours ago, crunked said:

I agree to  point.  My only concern is really the OL, beef the OL up, and then a mid tier RB can have their way.  

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Elliot will be long gone before pick 18 unfortunately. I kind of wish he was there to see if Grigs would pull the trigger. Although I`m not in favor after drafting RB`s in round 1, I think he is the ONE player in this draft, that would make the biggest impact for the Colts. 

I hope he is gone, I dont want a RB, even Elliot, we have bigger issues than RB

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I agree to  point.  My only concern is really the OL, beef the OL up, and then a mid tier RB can have their way.  

I hope he is gone, I dont want a RB, even Elliot, we have bigger issues than RB

He will be gone and I`m in agreement. However, the offense would be possibly flat out sick with a franchise legit 3 down back.

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He will be gone and I`m in agreement. However, the offense would be possibly flat out sick with a franchise legit 3 down back.

No offense, but that's been said about pretty much all the top ranked RBs coming into the draft in the past 4-5 years. I just think we have far too many holes right now to whiff on a RB in the 1st.  Now, if they want to grab an RB in the 2nd or even the 3rd ,hey why not, but first priority needs to be CB,OL,LB in some fashion

I'm all in with Zeke in the 1st if there.  But, I agree he will be long gone by then. If we don't sign an OL in FA then our 1st will be OL maybe 2nd. too. Two instant starters a C and RG,  Irsay made it crystal clear to protect Andrew.  They don't want to look at him every day without addressing the line.  If they do address the OL in FA or trade then the picture changes. OL is our biggest need and this year we can find long term solutions.  

5 hours ago, crunked said:

I think your dot connecting with regards to Geathers and Irving / Moore is spot on.  

I don't know about the rush linebacker and where they have guys rated but I think another dot to connect is that they kept Cole because of the knucklehead that Newsome became.  Plus I am sure they will address the position in the draft as well.  

Agree on Elliot as well.  If that is who the have rated highest when their turns comes, they should absolutely make the pick - or trade back.  Otherwise why invest all the man-hours in scouting players to create the board in the way that you feel your information dictates only to ignore it when the 18th pick rolls around.

Not sure on the CB situation.  I watched Smith in practice last year and he was shockingly bad.  I fully recognize that a year under his belt and better health could make a huge difference for him but I would be completely surprised if they don't take a corner in the draft as well.

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

He could be our next Edge? I hope he is there too just for the fun of it meaning I wonder if he would pull trigger instead of taking a Pass Rusher or O.Lineman.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Not sure on the CB situation.  I watched Smith in practice last year and he was shockingly bad.  I fully recognize that a year under his belt and better health could make a huge difference for him but I would be completely surprised if they don't take a corner in the draft as well.

I meant to comment on Smith, so I'm glad you did.  I'm HOPING that he was bad because he was injured all of last year?  According to all the scouts, he had the goods coming out of college.

If the OP is right in that they're counting on him (as well as a bunch of other unproven players) it could be a long year.  And we may be going through the 'new coach, new GM' drama all over again.

5 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

The only two corners I really want at 18 are Alexander and VH3 if he falls (which I highly doubt). Otherwise, I like Lawson and Billings a lot at 18. If none of those guys are there, I'd probably trade back and either get a different EDGE guy, or take a C/G like Kelly or Whitehair.

Good points.  I dont think the team is completely sold on Irving or Jackson for that matter and this may upgraded in the draft or free agency. We do need an upgrade there and hopefully Irving can provide

Smith may have the confidence of the coaches but I feel there is a CB arriving soon so he can learn some more

Geathers will be a beast so I am very sorry to see Lowery leave but I see big things from Geathers

Center and Right Guard/Tackle are key points of emphasis. I sure hope the new coaches are a better to evaluate of talent than just Grigson

5 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I also think a big part of his bad play last year came down to scheme. He came in as a really good cover two cb. We don't really play cover two, much more man on man. It's a tough transition that even good NFL CBs have trouble with. That was my main concern about us drafting him. Tons of potential,  but a tough transition that he may never master. I'm hopeful that he either comes out this year with a better grasp on it or we grab another cb if we think he's not ready yet. 

34 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I also think a big part of his bad play last year came down to scheme. He came in as a really good cover two cb. We don't really play cover two, much more man on man. It's a tough transition that even good NFL CBs have trouble with. That was my main concern about us drafting him. Tons of potential,  but a tough transition that he may never master. I'm hopeful that he either comes out this year with a better grasp on it or we grab another cb if we think he's not ready yet. 

Given his size,  I really think indy drafted Smith to come in and challenge Butler for slot.  The Colts seem to like tall,  physical corners on the outside.  

The fact that they haven't signed a cb2 makes me think we go that way round 1. I think they have someone in mind that they like.  

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Elliot to the Colts at 18 COULD have happened a month ago.

Then the Combine happened and the chances were near zero.

And now his Pro Day has happened and the chances ARE zero.   

I'd be surprised if he gets out of the top-10/12.

Thank god.  Let some other dinosaur take him in the 1st.

When Irsay said we needed to get "younger", I take that to mean he isn't expecting us to win the Super Bowl this year.   Last year and offseason kind of takes the pressure off of us this year.  So, I think we have too many holes to fill, not enough FA money to get young great players, so I think we will truly get BPA all through the draft.  If Elliot is there, you have to take him.  I also don't want to fill a depth hole just because there's a need.  If Grigson can find a 7th round gem like Good, then every drafted player counts.  

2 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Given his size,  I really think indy drafted Smith to come in and challenge Butler for slot.  The Colts seem to like tall,  physical corners on the outside.  

The fact that they haven't signed a cb2 makes me think we go that way round 1. I think they have someone in mind that they like.  

Which CB prospect rated in our range would you say has size though? Alexander is 5'10, Apple doesn't exactly have size.

2 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

I would be pumped if that was the case. I'm all for a CB in round 1.

Yeah Geathers will definitely be starting opposite Mad Mike Adams. And I believe Sio Moore will start next to DQ. Irving has a shot too, but I think Sio will surprise some people if he's the starter. As for Elliott. Just no. Look man, he's going to be a really good RB. He's not Todd Gurley but he should be a top 10 RB for several years. But with that said. We can get a back like Dixon, Perkins, Collins, Prosise, or Williams in the 3rd/4th. I think one or two of those guys will be there in the 4th. We have too many other holes to fill besides RB. Our first rounder needs to be an EDGE rusher, a Corner, or a DT. Or Cody Whitehair. Unless we wanted to draft Conklin to come in and play RG. Yes I do think we can get 2 day 1 starting O-Lineman in the 2nd and 3rd too btw. As for D'Joun Smith, we don't really know how he'll look. He has the talent to start opposite Vontae, but who knows if he'll realize that potential or not. My hope is he comes in and at least beats our Butler and becomes a top of the line nickel. But it would be pretty irresponsible to go into the season with him as the starter next to Vontae before he proves himself. If we hit big in the draft we could come out with 3-4 instant impact players. Hopefully an EDGE rusher, G, C, and a RB like Dixon in the 4th. Or a CB like Rashard Robinson if he's there.