Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do most of you want to see Peyton get another ring?

Tsarquise

Just now, ColtRider said:

Why do I want Peyton to get another ring?

1. Epitome of class on every level

2. Teammate on every level

3. Leader on every level

4. Champion on every level

5. Respected on every level

A guy like this that served as our QB for 14 years & gave all of us the thrill of winning every single one of those seasons? It's a no-brainer. If he gets another ring from SB 50? 

How could not anyone, let alone ColtFans, be cheering for an accomplishment like that?

Well stated :thmup:

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, General_Hux said:

I come down mostly on the side of the OP, but its something I struggle with.  If he wins this Super Bowl, his legacy will be as a Bronco.  A narrative has been and will be crafted about the team that callously cast aside an all time great player who went on to multiple Super Bowls with his new team in a very short period of time, and Colts fans are not going to enjoy being on the negative end of that story. 

He's gone forever.  People's reluctance to let go of him gives me concern about the loyalties of this fan base. 

Mannings legacy will not be a Bronco. When he goes into the HOF it will be as a Colt.

3 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Yeah, it's all good; I just wanted to see if there were other Colts fan who shared my opinion because I saw none expressing the same sentiments, and I kind of wanted to spread awareness of what narratives might be  tossed around if he does win one with the Broncos... 

Just surprised more people aren't thinking about that as opposed to his "legacy" compared to Tom Brady's. 

I'm from NY. Aside from the Yankees my fandom between the Knicks, Rangers, and Colts are the KINGS of "almosts". Peyton, Henrik, and Ewing all deserved more than what they got but all just ran into better teams their entire careers (Patriots, Blackhawks/Kings lately, Bulls). I love them for what they did when playing for my team so if they don't finish their career with my team I wish them the best as long as they didn't blast us on the way out.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Mannings legacy will not be a Bronco. When he goes into the HOF it will be as a Colt.

How many times does it have to be said...no one goes into the HOF as a member of any team.  That's not how the NFL HOF works.  His bust will just be of him, and his case will include both Colt and Bronco stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Cool, yah the Rangers and the Bruins have been rivals, nice to see fans of rivals cheer for all time greats.

Yea I actually like some Bruins (except Marchand). It's the Pens, Isles, and Caps I despise solely bc of the metro division. Devils I have a soft spot for bc of my brother but most of the time in any sport I'll root for the team who hasn't won in a while (Avs and esp Bourque) vs. the one who always seems to be there (Devils at the time).

Edit: Also funny how we each have one Hayes brother.

Well, I hope the Panthers embarrass the Broncos, just like the Seahawks did. Then his only Super Bowl win will be during his time with the Colts! Then i hope he retires, and the Broncos will go back to irrelevancy.... Oh yeah!

Besides, the Panthers have NEVER won a Super Bowl and they have played great this season. They deserve it!

Go Panthers!

24 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Yea I actually like some Bruins (except Marchand). It's the Pens, Isles, and Caps I despise solely bc of the metro division. Devils I have a soft spot for bc of my brother but most of the time in any sport I'll root for the team who hasn't won in a while (Avs and esp Bourque) vs. the one who always seems to be there (Devils at the time).

Edit: Also funny how we each have one Hayes brother.

I can see how one would hate Marchand, he can get on my nerves. 

And I agree with you that if I do not have a dog in the fight I root for the team with less wins or rings.   So are you going to be rooting for Carolina :).?

1 minute ago, Yehoodi said:

I can see how one would hate Marchand, he can get on my nerves. 

And I agree with you that if I do not have a dog in the fight I root for the team with less wins or rings.   So are you going to be rooting for Carolina :).?

I mentioned before about the guys in my sports life I thought deserved better than what they got (Peyton, Henrik, Ewing) and if they were on another team and didn't trash us on the way out then I'd still root for them. If it was Carolina vs. any other AFC team minus the Colts, Broncos, and Jets, I'd root for them. I still wouldn't be mad if they won because I like a lot of their guys but I just like Peyton better lol

7 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I mentioned before about the guys in my sports life I thought deserved better than what they got (Peyton, Henrik, Ewing) and if they were on another team and didn't trash us on the way out then I'd still root for them. If it was Carolina vs. any other AFC team minus the Colts, Broncos, and Jets, I'd root for them. I still wouldn't be mad if they won because I like a lot of their guys but I just like Peyton better lol

I hear yah and agree.

Also, its fun sometimes to watch a game where you do not mind if the opponent beats your team or player.  Kind of makes for a no loose situation,  one is really happy if your favorite wins but not too disappointed if the other team wins.

1 minute ago, Yehoodi said:

I hear yah and agree.

Also, its fun sometimes to watch a game where you do not mind if the opponent beats your team or player.  Kind of makes for a no loose situation,  one is really happy if your favorite wins but not too disappointed if the other team wins.

No lose is always the best. My most relaxing SBs to watch are the ones where I don't have any skin in the game (no Colts and no Peyton or Brady). The Harbaugh Bowl (or Harbowl) was nice to just sit back and watch and eat tons of food lol

13 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Would you still root for Peyton if he played for the Patriots?

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Would you still root for Peyton if he played for the Patriots?

I wouldn't, for obvious reasons :)

Feelings about the Broncos were lukewarm before Peyton became a Bronco. Unless you were a long time Colts fan that dated back to when Elway was drafted, animosity towards Elway for dissing the Colts is not as near and dear to you. Besides, they never threatened the Colts during the regular season or the playoffs, it still is the case when we run into them :).

So the antipathy towards the Broncos is less when compared to a franchise like the Steelers or Patriots or even Chargers that have had the Colts number lately. That made it easier to root for Peyton as a Bronco as well for most Colts fans. 

Just now, bababooey said:

Yes, does that matter to you who I root for? I said this summer if the Pats win I'll be happy for Reggie because he didn't get to go out on his own terms.

Yes, it does. Your opinion means everything to me. Now excuse me, everyone, while I go kill myself because bababooey would root for Manning if had joined the Pats?

In all seriousness... Lighten up dude... I was just making conversation. And I was interested in your opinion and that's your prerogative... I will not question you again... My apologies... 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wouldn't, for obvious reasons :)

Feelings about the Broncos were lukewarm before Peyton became a Bronco. Unless you were a long time Colts fan that dated back to when Elway was drafted, animosity towards Elway for dissing the Colts is not as near and dear to you. Besides, they never threatened the Colts during the regular season or the playoffs, it still is the case when we run into them :).

So the antipathy towards the Broncos is less when compared to a franchise like the Steelers or Patriots or even Chargers that have had the Colts number lately. That made it easier to root for Peyton as a Bronco as well for most Colts fans. 

Yeah, I understand that, completely. 

I guess I'm just butthurt to see Manning with any team... 

But to see Broncos fans make comments like I posted in a previous post, makes me want to root against them. 

And once again, thank god the Colts have gotten the better of the Broncos since Manning has left. 

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

Yeah, it's all good; I just wanted to see if there were other Colts fan who shared my opinion because I saw none expressing the same sentiments, and I kind of wanted to spread awareness of what narratives might be  tossed around if he does win one with the Broncos... 

Just surprised more people aren't thinking about that as opposed to his "legacy" compared to Tom Brady's. 

This comment is for Peyton if he was with the Patriots......HELL TO THE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Computer on the site today...playin' games with me. :)

7 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Yes, it does. Your opinion means everything to me. Now excuse me, everyone, while I go kill myself because bababooey would root for Manning if had joined the Pats?

In all seriousness... Lighten up dude... I was just making conversation. And I was interested in your opinion and that's your prerogative... I will not question you again... My apologies... 

I'm sorry for being a jerk, I just felt I was being targeted for wanting to root for my guys when it a lot of people think I shouldn't. I wouldn't expressly root for a rival team but if they had my guy on it I'd be happy. Like last year's Blackhawks had Brad Richards, as well as last year's Lightning had Brian Boyle and Anton Stralman, all three who were on the Rangers Eastern Conference Champion team the year earlier. Happy Richards won but can't say I was happy rooting for either the team who won 2 already or the other who just eliminated us in 7 games a round earlier.

8 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I'm sorry for being a jerk, I just felt I was being targeted for wanting to root for my guys when it a lot of people think I shouldn't. I wouldn't expressly root for a rival team but if they had my guy on it I'd be happy. Like last year's Blackhawks had Brad Richards, as well as last year's Lightning had Brian Boyle and Anton Stralman, all three who were on the Rangers Eastern Conference Champion team the year earlier. Happy Richards won but can't say I was happy rooting for either the team who won 2 already or the other who just eliminated us in 7 games a round earlier.

It's all good. I wasn't targeting you. You were just one of the people I had conversed with in this thread.

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Because I like him.

Indeed...not much else to say. The guy has worked his butt off day in and day out recovering from a devastating surgery that should have ended his career...because I'm almost exactly the same age and I like to think that my best years aren't behind me lol...but yes...mostly just because like Supes said....I like him. I respect him and what he has done and want to see hard work and dedication go rewarded. Plus its a long shot...and I root for the underdog.

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

But by saying what you said about him being "gone forever", you don't realize he will be in the ROH in Indy and we can do the goodbye thing the right way right? He's allowed to be in the ROH in Denver but he's not the greatest player to ever play there nor did he play there for very long. It's wild how much people forget this.

But he is the best player to ever play there Peyton is the best NFL player of all time he would be the best player on any team IMO he just didn't play there that long but he's still the greatest player they ever had on the team 

11 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

That ring is for the Broncos and John Elway (the smug guy who snubbed the Colts) not the Colts. His legacy as a Colt is over. He doesn't need another ring to be considered as one of the goat.

It makes the Colts look bad if, in only four years, Manning accomplishes with the Broncos (2 SB appearances and and 1 win), what took him 14 years to accomplish with the Colts.

Broncos fans don't even appreciate Manning and didn't have to sit through all of his growing pains. I remember seeing people wanting Osweiler start for the season on their message board.

Although he will be rembered as both, I want his best times remembered as a member of the Indianapolis Colts; the place where his NFL career was born and raised!

I know my opinion is unpopular, but I would like to know, as Colts fans, why exactly do you want him to win the Super Bowl as a member of the Broncos?

...too keep Brady from winning a ring

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

But he is the best player to ever play there Peyton is the best NFL player of all time he would be the best player on any team IMO he just didn't play there that long but he's still the greatest player they ever had on the team 

In terms of what he has done for the franchise. Elway has done more for the franchise as a player is what I meant. If Peyton went to the Jets and won the SB then you'd have the best player ever for each franchise (Peyton>Namath) but that's not the case with Peyton on Denver and Indy.

4 hours ago, General_Hux said:

I come down mostly on the side of the OP, but its something I struggle with.  If he wins this Super Bowl, his legacy will be as a Bronco.  A narrative has been and will be crafted about the team that callously cast aside an all time great player who went on to multiple Super Bowls with his new team in a very short period of time, and Colts fans are not going to enjoy being on the negative end of that story. 

He's gone forever.  People's reluctance to let go of him gives me concern about the loyalties of this fan base. 

That won't be the narrative.  

The narrative will be that a team who's QB was injured and in his mid 30's at the time had the #1 pick and the best QB prospect in the draft in about 15 years decided to go with long term success instead of short term success and that QB that was released went on to spend the remainder of his career which was only 4 years playing for a team that could give him surrounding talent in the immediate future and that surrounding talent helped carry him to a SB at 39 years old.  

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

In terms of what he has done for the franchise. Elway has done more for the franchise as a player is what I meant. If Peyton went to the Jets and won the SB then you'd have the best player ever for each franchise (Peyton>Namath) but that's not the case with Peyton on Denver and Indy.

Elway was a lot like Brady surrounded with the right players and staff on both sides of the line.

Well, I hope the Panthers embarrass the Broncos, just like the Seahawks did. Then his only Super Bowl win will be during his time with the Colts! Then i hope he retires, and the Broncos will go back to irrelevancy.... Oh yeah!

Besides, the Panthers have NEVER won a Super Bowl and they have played great this season. They deserve it!

Go Panthers!

You know who deserves it?  The team at the end of the game with the most points.  If Denver wins, it will most certainly be deserved.

Peyton is going to always be OURS...no matter if he had won two SBs the Bronco fans don't claim him. Elway is their beloved and for good reason. Nothing will change that. Denver gave him what we couldn't...a legit 4 years of SB caliber football. He wouldn't have had that here. Do I still wish he had stayed...well...kinda (so I could have watched him in person for 4 more years) but it honestly has worked out as well as we could hope. Hopefully 15 yrs or so of Luck and I still watch Peyton on Sunday afternoons after our game. Denver has never stopped us and Peyton still has made it to 2 more SBs. Win/win.

3 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

This is a comment that a Broncos fan made:

"Well, not to rain on your parade, but your classless organization forced him out... Indy never gave him a great defense to work with... And, now your team has been so embarrassing that you put up AFC Finalist banners to make yourselves feel better after a loss... "

So essentially people think Manning hasn't won more Super Bowls because the Colts, as an organization, is inept. People forget that Manning had MANY top defenses in his time here.... 

This one of the reasons why I do not want the Broncos to win... They don't deserve it... 

1) You using one comment from one Broncos fan and extending that to mean what all or most Denver fans think is mind-numbing.

2) Saying the Broncos don't deserve it should they win is pure bovine excrement.  In a string of dumb things said, that is high on the list.

12 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Yeah Elway was there longer and did more but Peyton is still a greater player is all I'm saying there isn't a player past or present that is better then Peyton 

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

1) You using one comment from one Broncos fan and extending that to mean what all or most Denver fans think is mind-numbing.

2) Saying the Broncos don't deserve it should they win is pure bovine excrement.  In a string of dumb things said, that is high on the list.

The comments sound like they are coming from someone who's team lost in the playoffs to ours last year.

I don't understand the thinking of, if Peyton wins a SB with Denver he will be remembered as a Bronco. That is completely false. He played 13 seasons here and got most of his stats here and also won a SB here, got 4 of his MVP's here. He is more of a Colt no matter what happens. He hasn't played long enough in Denver to be remembered as a Bronco. He will be remembered as a QB they picked up that helped them win 1. Here he will always be remembered as our best player. To the original OP, it's your hate for Elway IMO is why you feel like you do. Peyton winning in no way makes the Colts look bad. Peyton was released, he didn't leave because he wanted too.

Go Panthers!

No problem, T! You want the Panthers to take SB 50? That's cool. However, dissing Peyton for the sake of it, doesn't make sense to most ColtsFans. I get the mindset of Carolina losing but one game/never winning a SB and stating they "deserve it". Only if they take down the Broncos & Manning will they "deserve it".