Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do most of you want to see Peyton get another ring?

Tsarquise

1 hour ago, Live and let live said:

My reason is the pure joy he has brought to me since 1998. He is a class act, he is a great player and I have watched and cheered him through good times and bad. The Colts made themselves look bad in this situation and they shot themselves in the foot. I remain a fan although not like I used to be. I don't have any sympathy for management and I do not get the same pleasure watching Andrew Luck that I did from watching Peyton. Yes, things change but sometimes things do not change for the better and the one can just not get as emotionally involved with the present Colts as the Peyton led Colts.

So you're more of a Peyton fan, right? Which is understandable if true...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

This is a comment that a Broncos fan made:

"Well, not to rain on your parade, but your classless organization forced him out... Indy never gave him a great defense to work with... And, now your team has been so embarrassing that you put up AFC Finalist banners to make yourselves feel better after a loss... "

So essentially people think Manning hasn't won more Super Bowls because the Colts, as an organization, is inept. People forget that Manning had MANY top defenses in his time here.... 

This one of the reasons why I do not want the Broncos to win... They don't deserve it... 

That's one person 

10 minutes ago, bababooey said:

But by saying what you said about him being "gone forever", you don't realize he will be in the ROH in Indy and we can do the goodbye thing the right way right? He's allowed to be in the ROH in Denver but he's not the greatest player to ever play there nor did he play there for very long. It's wild how much people forget this.

Ring of Honor is fine and dandy, but if he wins this Super Bowl we'll be known as the team that tossed a champion into the dustbin.  That Ring of Honor ceremony will be awkward.  Looking at it long-term, Luck will probably need to win at least three Super Bowls here before anyone ever considers him Peyton's equal, and that's not fair. 

I have admitted that I'm favoring the Panthers. It would be OK with me if Manning gets another ring because I like him; he has already established his legacy.

However, I don't care about the Broncos team, and don't like Elway. Besides, Manning has gotten a ring before and had two other chances . It's time for a new team to win. Although Carolina has been in the Superbowl before, it was with different players. Newton hasn't had that chance yet, and, with the kind of year he's had, I would like to see go out on top.

Either way, I'm hoping the Superbowl isn't a blowout.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

He's my favorite player of all time and he didn't ask to be released. Why would I root against him if we aren't playing him?

You would root against him because he is on the Broncos and Broncos fans and other people have the perception that the Colts held Manning back... Football is a team sport and the Broncos, outside of Manning, IMO, are pretty unlikable.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

That's one person 

True, but I'm sure he isn't the only one who has this opinion.... 

People talk about Manning's legacy compared to Tom Brady; this, IMO, is something far more annoying to have to defend against... 

This whole mercurial relationship with the Broncos fan and Peyton is annoying... He struggles, they want him gone, now they want to win one for "Ol Peyton"... As if they have been there for the ride for 18 seasons to witness all of his highs and lows...

People act like he has never won a Super Bowl before....

5 minutes ago, General_Hux said:

Ring of Honor is fine and dandy, but if he wins this Super Bowl we'll be known as the team that tossed a champion into the dustbin.  That Ring of Honor ceremony will be awkward.  Looking at it long-term, Luck will probably need to win at least three Super Bowls here before anyone ever considers him Peyton's equal, and that's not fair. 

Exactly!

5 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

I have admitted that I'm favoring the Panthers. It would be OK with me if Manning gets another ring because I like him; he has already established his legacy.

However, I don't care about the Broncos team, and don't like Elway. Besides, Manning has gotten a ring before and had two other chances . It's time for a new team to win. Although Carolina has been in the Superbowl before, it was with different players. Newton hasn't had that chance yet, and, with the kind of year he's had, I would like to see go out on top.

Either way, I'm hoping the Superbowl isn't a blowout.

I feel similar but I want it to be a blowout...

If the Broncos do win, at least I can take solace in the fact that we ended their season last year and ended their winning streak this year...

13 minutes ago, General_Hux said:

http://reactiongifs.me/who-gives-a-%/

16 minutes ago, General_Hux said:

Do you live in indy?   The love for Peyton goes far beyond the playing field here

28 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

You would root against him because he is on the Broncos and Broncos fans and other people have the perception that the Colts held Manning back... Football is a team sport and the Broncos, outside of Manning, IMO, are pretty unlikable.

True, but I'm sure he isn't the only one who has this opinion.... 

People talk about Manning's legacy compared to Tom Brady; this, IMO, is something far more annoying to have to defend against... 

This whole mercurial relationship with the Broncos fan and Peyton is annoying... He struggles, they want him gone, now they want to win one for "Ol Peyton"... As if they have been there for the ride for 18 seasons to witness all of his highs and lows...

People act like he has never won a Super Bowl before....

This is the only year he's had a good defense with the Broncos so that guy is ignorant.  He's probably just mad that we keep whipping them and he can't explain it.  Second of all Broncos fans have been dogging out Peyton as well.  They've called him a choker plenty of times along with preferring that Osweiler be the starter over him. The Broncos and their fanbase have very little room to talk. 

Peyton had some pretty good defenses on more than one occasion in Indy. Nothing like the 2015 Broncos, but certainly something you can get to the Super Bowl with.  We had a pretty good D the year we lost in the playoffs to the Steelers, but Peyton and the offensive line choked.  The year we won the Super Bowl that was also a good defense. It wasn't in the regular season, but they played like a playoff caliber defense throughout the playoffs and that's all that matters.  

Honestly I thought we had a pretty good D the year we lost to San Diego in the first round on the road.  Peyton sort of choked in that one along with the defense allowing San Diego  and Darren Sproles to come back and beat us.  Also we had a more than serviceable defense the year Jim Caldwell took us to the Super Bowl.  When I look at things closely we gave Manning enough on defense to do it depending on the season.  He just choked on some occasions.  Others were more team based chokes.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Do you live in indy?   The love for Peyton goes far beyond the playing field here

All my life, long enough to remember the bad old days and Duke Tumatoe songs playing on Q95 nearly every Monday morning.  The casual fans still love the guy, and I have a ton of respect for him and what he did here.  But the minute he was gone, I was done with him and was eager to support the next guy.  . 

1 hour ago, General_Hux said:

I come down mostly on the side of the OP, but its something I struggle with.  If he wins this Super Bowl, his legacy will be as a Bronco.  A narrative has been and will be crafted about the team that callously cast aside an all time great player who went on to multiple Super Bowls with his new team in a very short period of time, and Colts fans are not going to enjoy being on the negative end of that story. 

He's gone forever.  People's reluctance to let go of him gives me concern about the loyalties of this fan base. 

First and foremost, you really should stop letting the reactions of a few let you make decisions of an entire fan base.  Second, who cares about what narratives are crafted?  His legacy will be as both a Colt and a Bronco.

9 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

That ring is for the Broncos and John Elway (the smug guy who snubbed the Colts) not the Colts. His legacy as a Colt is over. He doesn't need another ring to be considered as one of the goat.

It makes the Colts look bad if, in only four years, Manning accomplishes with the Broncos (2 SB appearances and and 1 win), what took him 14 years to accomplish with the Colts. 

Broncos fans don't even appreciate Manning and didn't have to sit through all of his growing pains. I remember seeing people wanting Osweiler start for the season on their message board. 

Although he will be rembered as both, I want his best times remembered as a member of the Indianapolis Colts; the place where his NFL career was born and raised! 

I know my opinion is unpopular, but I would like to know, as Colts fans, why exactly do you want him to win the Super Bowl as a member of the Broncos? 

I can't speak for everyone but for me it's because I am a football.  The Colts are the team I follow most closely because for a long time they were my home town team and I became a Colts fan.  But I enjoy watching football games that are not Colts games just as much (if not a bit more because often I don't care who wins or loses)  And Manning is just one of those players that if fun to watch.  Add to that, he is funny, personable and has accomplished all that he has accomplished without his team being fined and losing draft picks for things that are considered cheating by the vast majority of football fans.

43 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

This is a comment that a Broncos fan made:

"Well, not to rain on your parade, but your classless organization forced him out... Indy never gave him a great defense to work with... And, now your team has been so embarrassing that you put up AFC Finalist banners to make yourselves feel better after a loss... "

So essentially people think Manning hasn't won more Super Bowls because the Colts, as an organization, is inept. People forget that Manning had MANY top defenses in his time here.... 

This one of the reasons why I do not want the Broncos to win... They don't deserve it... 

Was that posted here by a Broncos fan..??   

I remember seeing similar statements made by another poster, who by the way, was not a Broncos fan. :scratch:

Like @jvan1973  said, that is one person's opinion.

btw... just for the record,  you have your reasons for not wanting to see the Broncos win, and I "get" that.   There is no reason or need to explain yourself, just like there is no reason or need for those of us wanting to see it happen to have to explain ourselves either.

3 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I remember seeing similar statements made by another poster, who by the way, was not a Broncos fan. :scratch:

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the opinion of Broncos fans anyway...some of the most boorish, schizophrenic and insufferable fans in the NFL.  Just another reason while I always want the Broncos to lose, no matter who their quarterback is. 

9 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

That ring is for the Broncos and John Elway (the smug guy who snubbed the Colts) not the Colts. His legacy as a Colt is over. He doesn't need another ring to be considered as one of the goat.

It makes the Colts look bad if, in only four years, Manning accomplishes with the Broncos (2 SB appearances and and 1 win), what took him 14 years to accomplish with the Colts. 

Broncos fans don't even appreciate Manning and didn't have to sit through all of his growing pains. I remember seeing people wanting Osweiler start for the season on their message board. 

Although he will be rembered as both, I want his best times remembered as a member of the Indianapolis Colts; the place where his NFL career was born and raised! 

I know my opinion is unpopular, but I would like to know, as Colts fans, why exactly do you want him to win the Super Bowl as a member of the Broncos? 

1) If one of my favorite players went to another team I would route for him if my team was out of the playoffs.  I do not have a problem if fans route for a player when he is wearing another jersey.  Many Boston Bruins fans cheered for Ray Bourque when he won the cup with Colorado in 2001, after not being able to win it in Boston over a 20 year period.

2) As for the Luck/Manning issue, the transition from one player to another is not always perfect.  And what makes matter worse is the fact that you had a 1st overall pick that was waiting to play year one, as opposed to a low 1st rounder or 2nd or 3rd rounder.   Sometimes you have to let someone go a year to two early for the long term benefit.

3) Denver is a solid team and Elway has done well.  Heck they were 8-8 with Tebow and 4-2 with Osweller not including the last game.  So it is understandable that they would be a contender with Manning.  And some of their key additions have panned out for the team.

4) As for "deserving it" I understand on one level where you are coming from, then from another I think we need to remember that the Pats and Colts have been blessed with franchise QBs for the last 16-18 years with the colts having one presently in only his 4th year.   If another franchise is blessed with having a franchise QB for the last years of his career, after that franchise was really not a contender for some 18 years, I think that fan base has earned the right to be in contention again. 

1 minute ago, Yehoodi said:

1) If one of my favorite players went to another team I would route for him if my team was out of the playoffs.  I do not have a problem if fans route for a player when he is wearing another jersey.  Many Boston Bruins fans cheered for Ray Bourque when he won the cup with Colorado in 2001, after not being able to win it in Boston over a 20 year period.

2) As for the Luck/Manning issue, the transition from one player to another is not always perfect.  And what makes matter worse is the fact that you had a 1st overall pick that was waiting to play year one, as opposed to a low 1st rounder or 2nd or 3rd rounder.   Sometimes you have to let someone go a year to two early for the long term benefit.

3) Denver is a solid team and Elway has done well.  Heck they were 8-8 with Tebow and 4-2 with Osweller not including the last game.  So it is understandable that they would be a contender with Manning.  And some of their key additions have panned out for the team.

4) As for "deserving it" I understand on one level where you are coming from, then from another I think we need to remember that the Pats and Colts have been blessed with franchise QBs for the last 16-18 years with the colts having one presently in only his 4th year.   If another franchise is blessed with having a franchise QB for the last years of his career, after that franchise was really not a contender for some 18 years, I think that fan base has earned the right to be in contention again. 

Interestingly enough, I recall a lot of Pacer fans approaching Reggie Miller's last year with a very similar viewpoint regarding not being able to win a championship here.  After the "Malice in the Palace", a lot of Pacer fans voiced the opinion that if he wanted to go to the Celtics and try to win a championship before retiring, that he should go for it.  The franchise had completely let down one of it's all time greatest players right when they were finally looking prepared to win that elusive championship.  It was quite a different situation here with Peyton. 

5 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

As a Rangers fan, I cheered for this as well.

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

If tour right IMO it comes down to fan loyalty . 

I think a lot of folks around here think that after he's done in Denver he'll come back to Indy to sign a 1 day contract and "retire as a Colt."  I think those folks will be very let down when that doesn't happen.  But as far as Canton goes, he'll just go in as Peyton Manning with no association to any team, just as everyone else has done. 

Just now, General_Hux said:

I think a lot of folks around here think that after he's done in Denver he'll come back to Indy to sign a 1 day contract and "retire as a Colt."  I think those folks will be very let down when that doesn't happen.  But as far as Canton goes, he'll just go in as Peyton Manning with no association to any team, just as everyone else has done. 

Not me.

Just now, General_Hux said:

By the way don't think hes a big Elway fan.

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

This is the only year he's had a good defense with the Broncos so that guy is ignorant.  He's probably just mad that we keep whipping them and he can't explain it.  Second of all Broncos fans have been dogging out Peyton as well.  They've called him a choker plenty of times along with preferring that Osweiler be the starter over him. The Broncos and their fanbase have very little room to talk. 

Peyton had some pretty good defenses on more than one occasion in Indy. Nothing like the 2015 Broncos, but certainly something you can get to the Super Bowl with.  We had a pretty good D the year we lost in the playoffs to the Steelers, but Peyton and the offensive line choked.  The year we won the Super Bowl that was also a good defense. It wasn't in the regular season, but they played like a playoff caliber defense throughout the playoffs and that's all that matters.  

Honestly I thought we had a pretty good D the year we lost to San Diego in the first round on the road.  Peyton sort of choked in that one along with the defense allowing San Diego  and Darren Sproles to come back and beat us.  Also we had a more than serviceable defense the year Jim Caldwell took us to the Super Bowl.  When I look at things closely we gave Manning enough on defense to do it depending on the season.  He just choked on some occasions.  Others were more team based chokes.

Agreed, we had a good defense in 2007 too.

Everyone has their own selfish reason as to why they want Peyton to win or to not win.

To me, I just want him to stop playing after this SB, win or lose so that all fans do not have that ex to still have a crush on :) , you know what I am saying. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Everyone has their own selfish reason as to why they want Peyton to win or to not win.

To me, I just want him to stop playing after this SB, win or lose so that all fans do not have that ex to still have a crush on :), you know what I am saying. 

I think a lot of folks are kinda hung over from the Manning/Brady era in general and are ready to move on.  Don't get me wrong, it's been a joy to watch, but I'm ready for something new. 

27 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Like @jvan1973  said, that is one person's opinion.

btw... just for the record,  you have your reasons for not wanting to see the Broncos win, and I "get" that.   There is no reason or need to explain yourself, just like there is no reason or need for those of us wanting to see it happen to have to explain ourselves either.

Lol No it wasn't posted here; it was posted by a broncos fan on youtube, underneath a video of their divisional round highlights last year when the Colts killed their season.

Yeah, and I get why people want Manning to win... Heck he is probably my favorite Colt of all time; I grew up watching him play; he's a large reason why I'm a Colts fan. That's probably why it's so annoying seeing him play these last years on the Broncos and the way their fans act like he's been a Bronco his whole career.

"Win won for Ol Peyton" lol Annoying...

I'm not going to lie, I often find myself asking that question too. If Peyton wins one, then that obviously means the Broncos gonna win one too. And their fans and Elway both hate the Colts. So for a minute it was hard for me to cheer for him to win another one just cause I don't wanna see Elway win one. But to me, it's much bigger the the Bronco's.  Peyton deserves it. Regardless on how he feels about this organization now.

5 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

"Win won for Ol Peyton" lol Annoying...

If anything, they should try to win one for their owner Pat Bowlen suffering from Alzheimer's. This might be the last time he may be able to recollect the fact that they win a SB. :(

29 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

By the way don't think hes a big Elway fan.

I think Manning felt pretty annoyed that when he was cleared to play he was not the starter.

Yesterday...today....tomorrow.....Osweiler will not play even close to the Manning standards.  If healthy, Peyton will forever be my Quarterback.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

You're allowed to think one thing, others are allowed to think other things. That's what makes this beautiful world so great. You don't have to root for him, I will. Simple as that.

Yeah, it's all good; I just wanted to see if there were other Colts fan who shared my opinion because I saw none expressing the same sentiments, and I kind of wanted to spread awareness of what narratives might be  tossed around if he does win one with the Broncos... 

Just surprised more people aren't thinking about that as opposed to his "legacy" compared to Tom Brady's. 

2 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I think Manning felt pretty annoyed that when he was cleared to play he was not the starter.

Yesterday...today....tomorrow.....Osweiler will not play even close to the Manning standards.  If healthy, Peyton will forever be my Quarterback.

And, if he wins with the Broncos, he'll be a classic Bronco QB along with yours... lol

11 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

1 QB  in his caliber if not for short career would be Burt Jones , loved the guy.Even his stats are not near Peytons

Why do I want Peyton to get another ring?

1. Epitome of class on every level

2. Teammate on every level

3. Leader on every level

4. Champion on every level

5. Respected on every level

A guy like this that served as our QB for 14 years & gave all of us the thrill of winning every single one of those seasons? It's a no-brainer. If he gets another ring from SB 50? 

How could not anyone, let alone ColtFans, be cheering for an accomplishment like that?