Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we can get Joe Thomas, would Costanzo play RT?

YourNextGM

15 minutes ago, YourNextGM said:

I would rather Thomas over paying Mack @ C.  It has to be a collegiate C that can come in and start.  It has to be.

Personally, I think Costanzo is a better fit at RT, but he`s being paid LT money. So, I don`t see it happening.

53 minutes ago, YourNextGM said:

I would rather Thomas over paying Mack @ C.  It has to be a collegiate C that can come in and start.  It has to be.  

The problem with the Colts line is not edge  pressure, it's pressure up the middle. Thomas is a great  LT , that's not a need on the Colts line or team considering all the other areas of need.

3 hours ago, SevaColt said:

The problem with the Colts line is not edge  pressure, it's pressure up the middle. Thomas is a great  LT , that's not a need on the Colts line or team considering all the other areas of need.

I tend to disagree.  I think Castonzo is a good LT and Reitz is a serviceable RT.

I would much rather see Reitz as a back-up.  Denzelle Goode showed promises, but I'm not comfortable with him as anything more than a back-up for at least another season or 2. 

Anyway, outside of Castonzo and Mewhort, I think we can/should afford to fix the rest of the OL.  While the most sacks we gave up may have come from the interior, I think a big part of the reason we saw our TE production down (aside from the QB situation) this season was because they (especially Allen) were forced to help block on the edge.  Upgrading the RT position, IMO, is critical to allow our TEs to become threats in the passing game again (should Chud choose to utilize TEs).

That said, I don't think we need to break the bank of Joe Thomas.  Castonzo is just fine as an LT, IMO, and we would be better upgrading our RT for cheaper than what Thomas will demand -- allowing for us to extend Luck and get help at other positions...

6 hours ago, YourNextGM said:

He's not being paid Joe Thomas money. 

So True, well...
 Canstanya will make $300,000 MORE than Thomas next season, and that goes up to $2.8M more than 1st Team All-Pro Thomas in 2017. LMAO.

AC was pretty decent, for once, his contract year, not so much this season.

Thomas has no dead cap $ left on his contract, and is owed $9.5M for 2016.
Mack also has no dead cap $ left on his contract, and is owed $8M for 2016.
 As Cleveland was rumoured to be considering trading Thomas/Mack http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2585537-nfl-trade-rumors-buzz-on-joe-thomas-jason-mccourty-and-more , perhaps that is something that will be considered again.???
 WIll we do this, of course not on Thomas.

Our 3rd pick for Mack?? Crazier things have happened.
 Mewhort is Cheap for 3 more years. Good/Reitz is cheap for a couple years. If you can draft a Guard/Thornton, that is cheap for ???

So picking up a quality center at $8M per is not unreasonable.
  Lord and us Colts fans KNOW this O-Line Garbage that has been going on under Grigson/Irsay must End! Hopefully not Cherilusesque!! Go Colts!

I'm ok with Castonzo at LT because he performs his main duty at a high level, plus Luck is comfortable with him.

I'm not too keen on giving up a high pick for the right to pay Mack's salary.  I don't have a problem with his salary either, but at some point we need to cherish our draft picks.  Studies on compensatory picks proves the very best teams have more picks, not less.

Grigson is responsible for the o-line so he needs to start getting this little detail right.  He's particularly dreadful in free agency.  

I think we should draft RT in the 1st round.  There are I believe 3-4 that are projected in the 1st, so we can definitely get a decent one.  Thomas will be too expensive.  I would rather pay a good pass rusher that money in FA.  We can move Reitz back to G and take care of that problem as well.  We would still need to draft a C by round 3 but that's very doable as well!  IMO this is the easiest most cost efficient way of handling our 2 weakest links (and perhaps the effective)!