Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chip Kelly fired

12isthenew18

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This didn't surprise me at all. What did surprise me was letting him go before the season was done. Chip tried to bring his college style into the pros. It worked at first but after the defensive coordinators had tape figured out how to defend it. Not only that Chip let a lot of well liked players go and then the team played worse.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Why is that bad? Dude has 2 10 win seasons in 3 years.

I don't want him because he runs a gimmick system and alienates good players and staff. No question he can put together an effective offense, but his personnel decisions and overall team management is bad.

Not surprising at all, He made a bit of a mess of the roster and refused to alter his scheme enough to suit the strengths of Demarco Murray to the point of demoting him and Murray only playing in 456 snaps this year and only getting 181 carries out of that

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

This didn't surprise me at all. What did surprise me was letting him go before the season was done. Chip tried to bring his college style into the pros. It worked at first but after the defensive coordinators had tape figured out how to defend it. Not only that Chip let a lot of well liked players go and then the team played worse.

Say what you will about him as a GM, but the offense sucked because he didn't have good WRs, O line or QB.

1 minute ago, wig said:

Say what you will about him as a GM, but the offense sucked because he didn't have good WRs, O line or QB.

I think he had all three. The offensive line was very good his first two seasons. He released one of his best receivers, but it's not like they had no one; Mathews and Maclin had very good years last year. And the issue with his QB is more of a 'he doesn't fit my offense' kind of thing than a 'he's just not very good' kind of thing. And in all those instances, it's impossible to separate Chip Kelly the GM from Chip Kelly the HC.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't want him because he runs a gimmick system and alienates good players and staff. No question he can put together an effective offense, but his personnel decisions and overall team management is bad.

Dude had 2 top 5 offenses and 2 double digit win teams in 3 years with trash at QB. I don't really care who he supposedly alienates if he can give us that.

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Dude had 2 top 5 offenses and 2 double digit win teams in 3 years with trash at QB. I don't really care who he supposedly alienates if he can give us that.

Right but he destroyed that top tier team because no one got along with him...  so are you OK with him having a year or 2 of top offense and then rebuild because they all leave...

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

Right but he destroyed that top tier team because no one got along with him...  so are you OK with him having a year or 2 of top offense and then rebuild because they all leave...

I didn't say give him control of personal.  And btw Chip did the right thing trading away McCoy.

Just now, Dustin said:

How can you not care who he alienates? He intentionally pushed out several of his best players, the players he relied on for his teams to get to 10 wins to begin with -- McCoy, Jackson, Mathis, etc. Remaining players have described him as a tyrant. He's not giving anyone top 5 offenses and double digit wins if his best players are being shipped out and/or hate him.

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

I didn't say give him control of personal.  And btw Chip did the right thing trading away McCoy.

Yup. Turned around and undermined that decision by giving Murray $40m, though. 

Even if I liked him as a coaching candidate -- and I really don't -- I wouldn't want him anywhere near my personnel department. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

How can you not care who he alienates? He intentionally pushed out several of his best players, the players he relied on for his teams to get to 10 wins to begin with -- McCoy, Jackson, Mathis, etc. Remaining players have described him as a tyrant. He's not giving anyone top 5 offenses and double digit wins if his best players are being shipped out and/or hate him.

He shipped out known problem/distraction/overpriced players in McCoy and Jackson, and immediately turned around and replaced Jackson's production with Jordan Matthews for far less than what Jackson cost. Murray was a bad decision, but I don't think anyone expected him to be as bad as he was. Mathis was going to hold out and it's hilarious you even bring him up because I believe you were one of the people who didn't even want us to sign him (unless I'm wrong) so I don't see why we're calling out Kelly for cutting a 34 year old guard who was holding out.

Please link me these tyrant comments. 

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

How in the world is McCoy the one player you even think of bringing up?  Jackson, Mathis, and Foles center pieces to his previous success were the ones I'm referring to.  His system doesn't need an all star RB and yet he still undermines his very decision to scrap McCoy a much more superior back to Murray for 40 MILLION... and then lets him ride the bench? lol...

Like I said, a coach who is supposedly a brilliant mind doesn't run off the players that make him successful as if he is the most important piece and not players he is molding together.  You can't just win games in the NFL because of a system.  In the NFL everyone is talented or they wouldn't be here.  Thus you must be adaptive and be willing to change.  If you think your "system" is good enough to overcome that, then you are severely misguided.  And I do think Kelly is misguided. 

Just now, Surge89 said:

How in the world is McCoy the one player you even think of bringing up?  Jackson, Mathis, and Foles center pieces to his previous success were the ones I'm referring to.  His system doesn't need an all star RB and yet he still undermines his very decision to scrap McCoy a much more superior back to Murray for 40 MILLION... and then lets him ride the bench? lol...

Like I said, a coach who is supposedly a brilliant mind doesn't run off the players that make him successful as if he is the most important piece and not players he is molding together.  You can't just win games in the NFL because of a system.  In the NFL everyone is talented or they wouldn't be here.  Thus you must be adaptive and be willing to change.  If you think your "system" is good enough to overcome that, then you are severely misguided.  And I do think Kelly is misguided. 

Foles? The guy who's thrown 7 TDs this season and only had 3 games of 200+ yards? Weird guy to cape for.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think he had all three. The offensive line was very good his first two seasons. He released one of his best receivers, but it's not like they had no one; Mathews and Maclin had very good years last year. And the issue with his QB is more of a 'he doesn't fit my offense' kind of thing than a 'he's just not very good' kind of thing. And in all those instances, it's impossible to separate Chip Kelly the GM from Chip Kelly the HC.

That was in response to someone saying his offense had been figured out. Top 5 two years in a row and then middle of the pack without enough talent.

DCs haven't simply figured out how to shut his offense down, he didn't have the players this year. 

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

He shipped out known problem/distraction/overpriced players in McCoy and Jackson, and immediately turned around and replaced Jackson's production with Jordan Matthews for far less than what Jackson cost. Murray was a bad decision, but I don't think anyone expected him to be as bad as he was. Mathis was going to hold out and it's hilarious you even bring him up because I believe you were one of the people who didn't even want us to sign him (unless I'm wrong) so I don't see why we're calling out Kelly for cutting a 34 year old guard who was holding out.

Please link me these tyrant comments. 

"Tyrant" is the headline, not the quote. My bad. The quote isn't much better, but anonymous. http://deadspin.com/eagles-players-chip-kellys-not-racist-just-a-tyrant-1723174348?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

“Chip is not a racist. The notion he is isn’t fair. The thing with Chip is he just doesn’t see you as a person. He sees you as a commodity. The more players get that, the better off they’ll be.”

The player added: “Chip’s attitude towards players doesn’t bother me. I actually like it. I know where I stand with him. You understand that he doesn’t want to be challenged so don’t f—king challenge him. It’s pretty simple. I get it. Some guys don’t.”

A second African-American Eagles player said: “He sets the agenda. You don’t follow it, you’re dead to him. That’s not racial. Some guys handle it well, some guys don’t.”

I didn't want Mathis because he wasn't a good scheme fit. And it wasn't even so much I didn't want him, just that I didn't think he would have come and solved our line problems.

And the Evan Mathis saga in Philly started a year ago with a contract impasse. 

Even then, it's not one individual decision that led to Kelly having the reputation he has. It's multiple decisions and the way those decisions were made that have left Kelly with the reputation of being a 'my way or the highway' kind of guy that doesn't endear himself to his players. He wrestled away control of the football operation and installed his own yes man, and that was just enough rope for him to hang himself. 

He runs a gimmicky offense that won't work for long in the NFL, he's not remotely a good manager of people and personalities, and he won't put up with any opinion that isn't in lockstep with his way of seeing/doing things. That's not a good guy to put in charge of your football team, IMO.

Just now, Superman said:

"Tyrant" is the headline, not the quote. My bad. The quote isn't much better, but anonymous. http://deadspin.com/eagles-players-chip-kellys-not-racist-just-a-tyrant-1723174348?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I didn't want Mathis because he wasn't a good scheme fit. And it wasn't even so much I didn't want him, just that I didn't think he would have come and solved our line problems.

And the Evan Mathis saga in Philly started a year ago with a contract impasse. 

Even then, it's not one individual decision that led to Kelly having the reputation he has. It's multiple decisions and the way those decisions were made that have left Kelly with the reputation of being a 'my way or the highway' kind of guy that doesn't endear himself to his players. He wrestled away control of the football operation and installed his own yes man, and that was just enough rope for him to hang himself. 

He runs a gimmicky offense that won't work for long in the NFL, he's not remotely a good manager of people and personalities, and he won't put up with any opinion that isn't in lockstep with his way of seeing/doing things. That's not a good guy to put in charge of your football team, IMO.

This literally sounds like something I would read about Belichick. The dude who cuts people on Christmas and the week of the Super Bowl. The only difference is that BB has won enough to not face criticism.

8 minutes ago, wig said:

That was in response to someone saying his offense had been figured out. Top 5 two years in a row and then middle of the pack without enough talent.

DCs haven't simply figured out how to shut his offense down, he didn't have the players this year. 

His receivers are fine this year. Bradford is the best QB he's had, he just doesn't fit the offense very well. And in that instance, that's Kelly's fault, as he traded for Bradford to begin with.