Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chip Kelly fired

12isthenew18

7 minutes ago, amfootball said:

To the bold - Say what?

To the second sentence - Bill has only had ONE losing season in NE - his first with Grier and Carroll's mess of a roster that he remolded in 2001 and won the SB with a 6th round pick at QB.

Belichick was hated by a lot of the Browns roster. This was a guy who running a team like a dictator and famously waived Bernie Kosar in the middle of the season and was notorious for not liking coaches who stood up to him. 

I don;t really care about the second part because it seems you completely misses my point. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Belichick was hated by a lot of the Browns roster. This was a guy who running a team like a dictator and famously waived Bernie Kosar in the middle of the season and was notorious for not liking coaches who stood up to him. 

I don;t really care about the second part because it seems you completely misses my point. 

Belichick and Kelly are night and day comparisons. Belichick was there for six seasons with a losing record and only one playoff appearance and the Browns were moving. And every coach makes unpopular personnel decisions. None of his players ever made comments as Kelly have calling him a racist, saying he ran the locker room like a college environment, etc.

3 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Belichick and Kelly are night and day comparisons. Belichick was there for six seasons with a losing record and only one playoff appearance and the Browns were moving. And every coach makes unpopular personnel decisions. None of his players ever made comments as Kelly have calling him a racist, saying he ran the locker room like a college environment, etc.

I doubt Belichick has ever coached someone as stupid as Lesean McCoy. 

1 hour ago, amfootball said:

Why on earth would Philly give him all that power and then turn around and fire him?

t the time, I blew the report off.  now I see it might have some legs.  The Release of Tom Gamble sparked stories of Chip Kelly maybe wanting to get out of Philly because of the way gamble was fired.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/1/4/7490173/chip-kelly-didnt-save-tom-gamble-fired-howie-roseman

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/157099/tom-gamble-firing-continues-eagles-turmoil

In any event, Chips 5 year 32.5 million contract was fully guaranteed, so he gets full pay for the next two seasons (13 million), whether he coaches again or not.

200_s.gif

I said this a long time ago that with the way he was cutting and trading away popular players, if this team didn't win right away he was gone.  

And he's gone.

He could have had this season and still be HC of the Eagles of McCoy, Mathis, and Maclin are still on that team.  

3 hours ago, amfootball said:

Your first sentence is spot on. He gave up picks for Bradford so the expectation was that he would be much better than Foles. This is where Kelly made a poor decision. I am all for trying to upgrade but when you run his type of offensive system, you have to have the right guy. Still, I think he should have gotten another season or two with a new QB of his choosing.

I still maintain that the trade for Bradford and his cap hit was to position Philly for a trade up to get Mariota, not because Chip wanted Bradford as his QB.  Philly could've negotiated the contract and absorb the cap hit for one year since he dealt Jackson and McCoy.  Separating Bradford from his cap hit made him attractive to other teams wanting a QB.

TN foiled that plan when they figured out Mariota could actually play like a real NFL QB and didn't want to trade him.  That's my thinking, but I guess Kelly could've just wanted Bradford over Foles anyway...and then sign a quasi-starter like Sanchez as a backup since he knew Bradford would get hurt (doesn't make sense really).

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I still maintain that the trade for Bradford and his cap hit was to position Philly for a trade up to get Mariota, not because Chip wanted Bradford as his QB.  Philly could've negotiated the contract and absorb the cap hit for one year since he dealt Jackson and McCoy.  Separating Bradford from his cap hit made him attractive to other teams wanting a QB.

TN foiled that plan when they figured out Mariota could actually play like a real NFL QB and didn't want to trade him.  That's my thinking, but I guess Kelly could've just wanted Bradford over Foles anyway...and then sign a quasi-starter like Sanchez as a backup since he knew Bradford would get hurt (doesn't make sense really).

If that's the case then his speculative incompetence alone should have seen him fired.  

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If that's the case then his speculative incompetence alone should have seen him fired.  

Agreed.  I know that Kelly traded away good players, but Bradford stunk this year, and was a poor fit.  How can Bradford successfully run a read option when he provides zero threat of running?  Mariota or not, Bradford had to be a short term solution to the QB situation...just had to be.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

t the time, I blew the report off.  now I see it might have some legs.  The Release of Tom Gamble sparked stories of Chip Kelly maybe wanting to get out of Philly because of the way gamble was fired.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/1/4/7490173/chip-kelly-didnt-save-tom-gamble-fired-howie-roseman

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/157099/tom-gamble-firing-continues-eagles-turmoil

In any event, Chips 5 year 32.5 million contract was fully guaranteed, so he gets full pay for the next two seasons (13 million), whether he coaches again or not.

His contract is offset by whatever he makes at his next stop. The Eagles only have to pay whatever shortage there might be.

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

His contract is offset by whatever he makes at his next stop. The Eagles only have to pay whatever shortage there might be.

I think it would be funny if he went back to coach college ball. What do they make?- 2-6 million per year and the Eagles had to pay part of the bill on that to make up the 13 million. Even better yet go some place and work basically pro bono and let the Eagles pay that. 

I think he is not equipped to deal with pro players and should go back to college ball where he was very good.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

True, most NFL coach contracts are both fully guaranteed, and also contain offset language.  Either way, he get the remainder of his existing contract, from either the previous team or from the new team; with a possible combination of both pitching in to achieve it a reality.

Do you know if Kelly has offset language for certain, and if so does it include college offers to prevent him from 'double dipping'?

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

True, most NFL coach contracts are both fully guaranteed, and also contain offset language.  Either way, he get the remainder of his existing contract, from either the previous team or from the new team; with a possible combination of both pitching in to achieve it a reality.

Do you know if Kelly has offset language for certain, and if so does it include college offers to prevent him from 'double dipping'?

No idea. And I'm assuming Kelly's contract has offset language, since it's pretty much SOP in coaching contracts. It's become a common insistence for teams hiring college coaches to include offset language specific to college jobs, to prevent them from running back to college if they have a bad time (like Nick Saban). 

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's become a common insistence for teams hiring college coaches to include offset language specific to college jobs, to prevent them from running back to college if they have a bad time (like Nick Saban).

How does that prevent them from running back to college?

On 12/30/2015 at 9:21 PM, DougDew said:

I think Kelly has said that his system allows it to be successful with non-superstar personnel on offense, but he admits that he needs studs on defense, which is where he wanted to spend his money and draft picks.

I also don't think he has had the QB he wanted or needs and it would be interesting to see the offense with all of the pieces in place.

You may get that chance if the titans hire him.

21 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Good coach,    terrible gm

I am not sure about the good coach part. He is an innovative guy for sure but he seemed unable to game plan well for specific opponents and knowing when to take the foot off the pedal to give his D a rest. And his play calling at times was very suspect.