Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You can't lose on purpose ....

Rally5

I've seen some "lose on purpose" dialogue, which is actually an impossible notion.  Here's just a few reasons why:

1. Players have incentives in their contracts to hit miles stone events.  They don't tank when they can hit a six/seven figure bonuses.

2. You don't put "tank" performances on tape whether you're a first stringer or back-up it will haunt you as an FA.

3. The current players don't care about next years draft or bringing in someone really good to take their job.

4. Imagine having a team meeting that declares, "we're tanking this one boys" it will never happen in the NFL, it's not the culture of the league and reputations would be damaged for coaches and players alike.

5. Like it or not, we are still alive for the playoffs and that means money in many forms and fashion.

6. Have you ever gone to work and purposefully failed your job so you might put your own job at risk in the future?

7. There's no guarantee in future drafts picks, to think you know how that might turn out is laughable unless you have the #1 pick and even then it's unknown.

8. Season ticket holders have paid good money to see players compete each every game, who would pay to see a "tank" game?  It sets a horrific precedent.

9. I never want my team associated with the team that quit on purpose to move up a few spots in the draft. Heck, I'm still trying to get over the fake/not-a-fake punt play.

10. Players quitting on a Coach is viewed by Coaches as the ultimate failure, that's how tanking would be perceived by the media and outside world.

That's all folks!

I dont know who said tank the season, I just saw people discussing draft options if we lost both games. The real key is here is if we play Luck if he is healthy in the final game against Tennessee and with the severity of his injuries this season it makes not sense to play him in week 17 if he is not 100%

55 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I've seen some "lose on purpose" dialogue, which is actually an impossible notion.  Here's just a few reasons why:

1. Players have incentives in their contracts to hit miles stone events.  They don't tank when they can hit a six/seven figure bonuses.

2. You don't put "tank" performances on tape whether you're a first stringer or back-up it will haunt you as an FA.

3. The current players don't care about next years draft or bringing in someone really good to take their job.

4. Imagine having a team meeting that declares, "we're tanking this one boys" it will never happen in the NFL, it's not the culture of the league and reputations would be damaged for coaches and players alike.

5. Like it or not, we are still alive for the playoffs and that means money in many forms and fashion.

6. Have you ever gone to work and purposefully failed your job so you might put your own job at risk in the future?

7. There's no guarantee in future drafts picks, to think you know how that might turn out is laughable unless you have the #1 pick and even then it's unknown.

8. Season ticket holders have paid good money to see players compete each every game, who would pay to see a "tank" game?  It sets a horrific precedent.

9. I never want my team associated with the team that quit on purpose to move up a few spots in the draft. Heck, I'm still trying to get over the fake/not-a-fake punt play.

10. Players quitting on a Coach is viewed by Coaches as the ultimate failure, that's how tanking would be perceived by the media and outside world.

That's all folks!

Great post.    I agree on all counts.

37 minutes ago, colts_mp said:

The suck for Luck was going around by mid season that year.  Was it a coincidence/luck that we ended up landing him?

Didn't they win a couple games near the end of the season that could have cost them the first pick.    That busts that theory.

10 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I don't want to lose on purpose, I think we can lose the final 2 just by our own play. I would like to see the Colts win but if we lost both ahhh we get a better draft position, & won't be heart broken!

I'm with you here.    I'll be rooting for them to win both games.

But in my head, I know that missing the playoffs is the best option for them at this point.   They'd get embarrassed in the playoffs and their pick would go from a decent pick to a so so pick.  

Who is suggesting that the team intentially lay down? Neither Hasselbeck nor Luck is healthy enough to be forced into action Sunday and arguably the remainder of the season. I give Whitehurst a 10% chance of winning 1 (ONE) game over the next couple weeks. If the offensive line can't protect Luck, how are they going to fare protecting a third string scrub? I have next to no confidence in the defensive unit either at this time. They can't rush the passer, the linebackers are aging and largely incompetent, and the secondary is woeful and lacking playmakers. Couple that with the fact that many of them are well aware they are about to be replaced here at the end of the season, and does anyone really have confidence that we are going to get their best effort?

Again, I don't wish for the team to lay down. I am being realistic. I understand the circumstances and I want what's best for the future of this team. I believe we have an insanely good quarterback and pieces we can rebuild around on both sides of the ball. Let's look to the draft and hopefully find an "Impact" player. This team doesn't need any more average players eating large salaries, they need playmakers...

49 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I dont know who said tank the season, I just saw people discussing draft options if we lost both games. The real key is here is if we play Luck if he is healthy in the final game against Tennessee and with the severity of his injuries this season it makes not sense to play him in week 17 if he is not 100%

If He's healthy he will play...bank it.

11 minutes ago, ThaCaliColt said:

Who is suggesting that the team intentially lay down? Neither Hasselbeck nor Luck is healthy enough to be forced into action Sunday and arguably the remainder of the season. I give Whitehurst a 10% chance of winning 1 (ONE) game over the next couple weeks. If the offensive line can't protect Luck, how are they going to fare protecting a third string scrub? I have next to no confidence in the defensive unit either at this time. They can't rush the passer, the linebackers are aging and largely incompetent, and the secondary is woeful and lacking playmakers. Couple that with the fact that many of them are well aware they are about to be replaced here at the end of the season, and does anyone really have confidence that we are going to get their best effort?

Again, I don't wish for the team to lay down. I am being realistic. I understand the circumstances and I want what's best for the future of this team. I believe we have an insanely good quarterback and pieces we can rebuild around on both sides of the ball. Let's look to the draft and hopefully find an "Impact" player. This team doesn't need any more average players eating large salaries, they need playmakers...

There have been more than a few people suggest we should tank the balance of the season to improve the team next year via draft staus....that's not the same as playing poorly.

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm with you here.    I'll be rooting for them to win both games.

But in my head, I know that missing the playoffs is the best option for them at this point.   They'd get embarrassed in the playoffs and their pick would go from a decent pick to a so so pick.  

This is different than suggesting we lose "on purpose".  I have no issue with your point.

On 12/22/2015 at 2:46 PM, LuckIsAwesome said:

Unfortunately its not.

On 12/22/2015 at 0:38 PM, Rally5 said:

That's all folks!

Welp, looks like we need another re-post.

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

miami moved up 5 spots in the draft today

they looked like they kind of cared about winning until the end.  then its whoops, miscommunication on the snap count, which could have easily been done on purpose

I'm sure that was the play call, I can see it clearly, an interim coach working for his job says "ok guys, here's the deal, embarrass ourselves so we move up a few picks in the draft for the next head coach...ready, break!"  I can assure you there's not a Coach in the league that cares about picking 12th or 17th or whatever the number.  The only time this matters is if you have a Manning or Luck coming up at a #1 and you're in the hunt.  Otherwise this is beyond silly.

Just now, Rally5 said:

I'm sure that was the play call, I can see it clearly, an interim coach working for his job says "ok guys, here's the deal, embarrass ourselves so we move up a few picks in the draft for the next head coach...ready, break!"  I can assure you there's not a Coach in the league that cares about picking 12th or 17th or whatever the number.  The only time this matters is if you have a Manning or Luck coming up at a #1 and you're in the hunt.  Otherwise this is beyond silly.

the coach is gone regardless, there was no saving him.