Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton manning OUT vs Bears (update)

jvan1973

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Denver's Peyton Manning has torn plantar fascia in right foot, league sources tell ESPN. Manning was battling plantar fasciitis; worsened.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14143938/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-torn-plantar-fascia-right-foot

Edit: Out vs Bears http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14146889/denver-broncos-start-brock-osweiler-ailing-peyton-manning

Edited by Superman

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 16, 2015, 9:27 AM EST

The nightmare season for Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is getting worse.

Manning has a torn plantar fascia in his right foot, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. According to Schefter, Manning had already been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, but the condition has now worsened.

There’s no immediate word on how long a torn plantar fascia will cause Manning to be out. The NBA’s Pau Gasol missed about six weeks with a torn plantar fascia in 2013; if Manning misses that much time he’d be out for the regular season but back for the playoffs.

Of course, if Brock Osweiler plays well in Manning’s absence, the Broncos might not put Manning back on the field for the playoffs. And if Osweiler plays poorly, the Broncos could still miss the playoffs.

Which means it’s possible that Manning’s season, and career, ended yesterday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/16/report-peyton-manning-has-torn-plantar-fascia/

For people who have not had plantar fasciitis, it is EXTREMELY painful, I had it when I was younger, and I couldn't even place my foot lightly on the ground, i only felt little to no pain while my foot was suspended, and it took over a month to heal, going to a torn plantar fascia I would expect him to be shut down for the season.

Man thats terrible.  I'd hate for him to go out that way.  I was watching highlights of that game  yesterday and it made me real sad, kind of like when Vince Carter missed a wide open dunk a few weeks ago.  Age is finally catching up to alot of these old time legends.  Peyton is and always will be one of my favorites.  I doubt he ever has anything to do with the Colts after retirement, but if he did I would love to have him back.  It wouldn't matter if it was a coach, GM, radio guy or scout, pretty much anything.

Peyton is probably done for the season. They might make the playoffs, but the offense needs to get something going. If Kansas City goes on a winning streak, things could change in that division. I hate to see Peyton go through all this and really hope that he retires after this season. He's already  headed for the HOF and now needs to focus on getting healthy.

I had this condition for several YEARS - it's pure anguish when you're doing activity that affects it and then you don't even feel it at other times.  Waking up in the morning and putting your feet on the ground was sheer torture.

Footwork is everything as a QB.  I don't know how Peyton is going to recover and do anything meaningful.  

Yep. I'm afraid you're right, dw49. If Peyton is truly done, I would hope the Broncos & Elway figure a way to send him out on a note that mirrors his career.

I hear you but I can't see any ending other than Denver just letting Osweiler finish the season out. If he's absolutely terrible , maybe something else happens ?

One problem is that denver has to be thinking that they are in line to play a cold weather game either in Cinn or NE. IMO , there is no way anyone with a good football mind can think Manning can handle a bad weather January playoff game. 

Reports are saying Manning will practice this week. Denver fans must be going out of their minds ...

I think if Manning gets the start , it's as much lack of confidence in Osweiler than belief that Manning still has it. Also these football people ( GM's .. head coaches) often seem very reluctant to admit they have made a personal mistake.

I hear you but I can't see any ending other than Denver just letting Osweiler finish the season out. If he's absolutely terrible , maybe something else happens ?

One problem is that denver has to be thinking that they are in line to play a cold weather game either in Cinn or NE. IMO , there is no way anyone with a good football mind can think Manning can handle a bad weather January playoff game.

Yeah. I can't think of any way, either. It's a shame if he's done and goes out this way. Darn it all.

I think if Manning gets the start , it's as much lack of confidence in Osweiler than belief that Manning still has it. Also these football people ( GM's .. head coaches) often seem very reluctant to admit they have made a personal mistake.

I agree. I am not sure if Elway truly ever believed Manning could run this offense. Maybe he hoped he could but I do think he wanted Manning to get the record too. So there is that to consider as well. But if Brock really is that bad then shame on Elway for not having a more suitable back up with an aging vet QB as his starter trying to learn a new offense. It is almost doubly bad that they are started out 7-0 because the fanbase sees the QB position as the issue on a team that could otherwise contend for the SB with its defense.

I had this condition for several YEARS - it's pure anguish when you're doing activity that affects it and then you don't even feel it at other times.  Waking up in the morning and putting your feet on the ground was sheer torture.

Footwork is everything as a QB.  I don't know how Peyton is going to recover and do anything meaningful.  

Had this crop up after having 2 consecutive occurences of gout, back to back to back.  Gout started in the left foot (wasn't sure what it was as I'd never had it and dealt with it for a few weeks before docs figured out what it was).  Finally got over it, a few days later, gout cropped up in the right foot.  Went away in a couple days with meds.  And I guess with all the weight shifted while walking to alleviate pressure of the affected area from the gout, I developed plantar fasciitis for another week or two.  Mornings and evenings were the absolute worst periods of the day.  I've never been in that much pain before and completely helpless at that.

He couldn't even run for the 5 yards for the first down against us in the playoffs last year, just threw a ball out of bounds despite half the field open in front of him and he could have ran out on the sideline. I can only imagine what he'd look like trying to slide.

Where did you see that? MileHigh is reporting Brock is starting this week.

I heard it on the radio but if MileHigh is saying it will be Brock then perhaps the earlier reports were incorrect. We will probably have to wait until Wed to see if Manning is out there or if Brock is getting the reps.

I agree. I am not sure if Elway truly ever believed Manning could run this offense. Maybe he hoped he could but I do think he wanted Manning to get the record too. So there is that to consider as well. But if Brock really is that bad then shame on Elway for not having a more suitable back up with an aging vet QB as his starter trying to learn a new offense. It is almost doubly bad that they are started out 7-0 because the fanbase sees the QB position as the issue on a team that could otherwise contend for the SB with its defense.

Elway is just a year too late in assembling the team he envisioned around Peyton.

What team in Indy do you feel was better? I know he won the SB in 2006 but that team was not good until the playoffs when the defense caught fire.

The 2005 team that went 1-and-done vs the Steelers was better than his Indy 2006 and Bronco 2012 team, IMO.

Freeney and Mathis were healthy, the middle was healthy with Corey Simon, we were stopping the run and the pass. Everything was rolling till the 1 month hiatus and Dungy's son's death and it showed in more than a half of rusty play for a playoff game against a hot Steelers team that pretty much steam rolled everyone in their way except the Colts that they squeaked by.

The 2005 team that went 1-and-done vs the Steelers was better than his Indy 2006 and Bronco 2012 team, IMO.

Freeney and Mathis were healthy, the middle was healthy with Corey Simon, we were stopping the run and the pass. Everything was rolling till the 1 month hiatus and Dungy's son's death.

Ah, yes. That team did have a top notch defense. Lousy Steelers. I really hate them. :)

I disagree. He had the ideal team around Peyton in 2012 with an explosive offense, a top 5 run game and a top 5 defense. That was the best team of Peyton's career IMO.

That offense wasn't as explosive half of the season and the running game was actually ranked 16th so I'm not sure where you got top 5 from. The defense was tremendous statistically but decided to give up 28 points in a playoff game at home. Peyton's best team was undoubtedly the 2005 team here in Indy where they started 13-0. That was a team that virtually had no weaknesses.

I heard it on the radio but if MileHigh is saying it will be Brock then perhaps the earlier reports were incorrect. We will probably have to wait until Wed to see if Manning is out there or if Brock is getting the reps.

I watched the last 3 quarters of that game. Unless there is reason to believe that performance was due to a bad foot that will be much better this week , there is no way he starts vs the Bears. That was crazy horrible... I'll stick by my earlier post and say there is no way they do anything but give Osweiler a try this week.

I watched the last 3 quarters of that game. Unless there is reason to believe that performance was due to a bad foot that will be much better this week , there is no way he starts vs the Bears. That was crazy horrible... I'll stick by my earlier post and say there is no way they do anything but give Osweiler a try this week.

Yep. This just in.

It's official: Broncos QB Brock Osweiler will start Sunday vs Bears.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 16, 2015

Yep. This just in.

It's official: Broncos QB Brock Osweiler will start Sunday vs Bears.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 16, 2015

I'll feel bad if he doesn't get another start and get a chance for that 1 win. They could start him in game vs a weak opponent and just pull him ?

That would be pretty crummy in all fairness to Favre I think. I guess it really doesn't matter a whole lot as Bray is a lock to pass them both.

I'll feel bad if he doesn't get another start and get a chance for that 1 win. They could start him in game vs a weak opponent and just pull him ?

That would be pretty crummy in all fairness to Favre I think. I guess it really doesn't matter a whole lot as Bray is a lock to pass them both.

If they do intend to use him for the playoffs, I would think they would have Peyton start for at least a game or two prior to the playoffs, maybe for the divisional stretch at the end of the year??? 3 games vs the Chargers and Raiders still remain and if they take care of those, they can get to 10 games that should at least get them a #6 seeding, IMO.

Their division will come down to that last game, IMO, with the Chiefs possibly at 10 games and the Broncos knocking on 10 then.