Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton manning OUT vs Bears (update)

jvan1973

Manning's well being is paramount he takes care of himself. The Bears game is finally Osweillers time to start a regular season game, and has spent so much time waiting on the sidelines because Peyton is a seasoned veteran and very talented. Will Osweiler be the next Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck, or bump up the roster from a current veteran like Colin Kaepernick and Tom Brady did to Alex Smith and Drew Bledsoe? This is your chance to shine as a starter, and show to your Broncos teammates and fans what you got and can do on the field, Mr. Osweiler.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for my SB pick. The most important thing is to get Peyton healthy and if he is 100% going into the Playoffs maybe Denver still has a shot. All roads will lead through Foxboro and Cincy for sure now. Looks like the Broncos will be locked into the 3rd Seed, Colts in the 4th spot at this point. Hopefully both teams are 100% healthy going into the Playoffs. I have never seen so many QB's get injured in 1 season but father time is finally catching up with #18.

Manning's health is paramount for the Broncos to win the Super Bowl. Despite his play, average at best most of the time, he still has moments of greatness. And resting him is what he needs.

The Broncos will make the playoffs. They only need 3 more wins I believe for a wild card spot. Osweiler can hold it down in less important games, like the Bears.

Also don't think Manning won't be playing against New England.

The 2005 team that went 1-and-done vs the Steelers was better than his Indy 2006 and Bronco 2012 team, IMO.

Freeney and Mathis were healthy, the middle was healthy with Corey Simon, we were stopping the run and the pass. Everything was rolling till the 1 month hiatus and Dungy's son's death and it showed in more than a half of rusty play for a playoff game against a hot Steelers team that pretty much steam rolled everyone in their way except the Colts that they squeaked by.

They were a really amazing unit to watch that year. After steelers no one else could have stopped us. Sigh.

The Broncos are a 1 and done team. told you all this last year.

They are worse now, cause Gary Kubiak is the coach. BB and New England are going to coach circles around him in a few weeks regardless who is QB. 

There is no way that team is winning jack crap with or without Manning. They have a good defense, and that defense has helped them barely beat some horrible teams lie Baltimore, Cleveland, KC the first time, etc. 

I think you're all forgetting...this Broncos offense looked bad last year in the second half of the season and has looked awful all year long. Stop going for injury excuses. Favre never got these excuses, and half this forum still hates his guts, so why is Manning getting all the excuses?

Even when Manning is 100%, it don't matter. He's regressed and hasn't looked the same in recent years. The man is simply past his prime. If that was Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, this forum would go nuts to remind me and Patriots fans how they've regressed and how they only look good due to the rules of today's NFL. I don't know why Manning gets special treatment and treated like a God, when he hasn't looked the same now the past two years. 

The Broncos are an overrated team just like they were last year and they'll go straight into the first round of the playoffs and get blown out, then Manning will have TEN first round playoff exits as one and done. 

Shut him down and see if he has a last hurrah for the playoffs. I am assuming that is what the Broncos may be thinking.

You can get special shoes and play with that foot injury.

Joakim Noah of the Bulls played with that for a season and Peyton doenst run the floor.

. He needs to get his shoulder and ribs right.

I think he may be back against New England

Manning's health is paramount for the Broncos to win the Super Bowl. Despite his play, average at best most of the time, he still has moments of greatness. And resting him is what he needs.

The Broncos will make the playoffs. They only need 3 more wins I believe for a wild card spot. Osweiler can hold it down in less important games, like the Bears.

Also don't think Manning won't be playing against New England.

I would love Peyton to play against NE this year . He is statistically the worst QB in the NFL.

I would love Peyton to play against NE this year . He is statistically the worst QB in the NFL.

With a week off, he played very well vs. Green Bay. I obviously don't know how much his foot is hurting but

I would bet that unless Brock just smokes the Bears, Peyton is back to battle "Dollar Bill' Belichik

What a weird season for the Pats. No Romo when we played Dallas. Most likely Sanchez when we play the Eagles and now potentially no Brady/Manning #17.  It is like an alternate universe this year and yet we are undefeated. You can't make this stuff up.

I do not think manning is injured.  I think he cannot play more than one or two games a month.  He was very good after the bye and faded with each game thereafter.  They are resting him so he will be ready for the Pats.  This matchup may be the Superbowl of his career -- one last chance to prevail over TB12 before calling it quits.  Should be fun.

I do not think manning is injured. I think he cannot play more than one or two games a month. He was very good after the bye and faded with each game thereafter. They are resting him so he will be ready for the Pats. This matchup may be the Superbowl of his career -- one last chance to prevail over TB12 before calling it quits. Should be fun.

He wouldn't be benched if he wasn't injured

Did he look injured to you?  He just looked spent to me.  I don't think he would have played at all if he was injured.  I think he was benched because he was throwing as many INTs as completions.  Saying he was injured was just a way to let him save face.  He'll rest this week, play against the pats, then rest until the playoffs.

Did he look injured to you? He just looked spent to me. I don't think he would have played at all if he was injured. I think he was benched because he was throwing as many INTs as completions. Saying he was injured was just a way to let him save face. He'll rest this week, play against the pats, then rest until the playoffs.

Yes he looked hurt. He couldn't step into his passes

Did he look injured to you?  He just looked spent to me.  I don't think he would have played at all if he was injured.  I think he was benched because he was throwing as many INTs as completions.  Saying he was injured was just a way to let him save face.  He'll rest this week, play against the pats, then rest until the playoffs.

Manning's foot and shoulder injuries has been known for a couple weeks now. The only new one were his ribs. And no one is saving face. Manning said he sucked, injured or not.

What a weird season for the Pats. No Romo when we played Dallas. Most likely Sanchez when we play the Eagles and now potentially no Brady/Manning #17.  It is like an alternate universe this year and yet we are undefeated. You can't make this stuff up.

My guess is Peyton will play vs New England unless he's in a wheel chair haha @Viri becareful what you wish for. You never know, it's been a weird season.

Also again as I stated before, the tear is in his left foot. His right foot, his push off foot, is fine. This week of rest is something Manning needs. Elway missed games in his last two years also.

I would not be surprised if he misses the Chargers game after the Patriots game, and the Bengals game.

I do not think manning is injured.  I think he cannot play more than one or two games a month.  He was very good after the bye and faded with each game thereafter.  They are resting him so he will be ready for the Pats.  This matchup may be the Superbowl of his career -- one last chance to prevail over TB12 before calling it quits.  Should be fun.

"I do not think Manning is injured" My response = LOL

Injured or not all of Manning's struggles date back to a game vs St Louis last year where Elway decided that Peyton can no longer be the "offensive coordinator on the field" as he wanted a physical tough running team. I agree that Kubiak is also showing that he is not that good of a coach, nor play caller but at the same time is struggling due to a disgrace of an offensive line. They also sign Vernon Davis then played the slowest TE in the NFL all game vs KC. I can't blame them for going with Brock because they have set Manning up to fail so why not try him out?

Injured or not all of Manning's struggles date back to a game vs St Louis last year where Elway decided that Peyton can no longer be the "offensive coordinator on the field" as he wanted a physical tough running team. I agree that Kubiak is also showing that he is not that good of a coach, nor play caller but at the same time is struggling due to a disgrace of an offensive line. They also sign Vernon Davis then played the slowest TE in the NFL all game vs KC. I can't blame them for going with Brock because they have set Manning up to fail so why not try him out?

It rarely works out when you hire your buddy to be the HC of your team.

Looking at Denver's remaining 7 games I see them missing playoffs or creeping into a wildcard spot. With or without Manning. They're worse off with him right now. Who knows if he'll have anymore "Green Bay Performances" left even if he comes back. Can see Denver going 2-5.

They are worse now, cause Gary Kubiak is the coach. BB and New England are going to coach circles around him in a few weeks regardless who is QB. 

There is no way that team is winning jack crap with or without Manning. They have a good defense, and that defense has helped them barely beat some horrible teams lie Baltimore, Cleveland, KC the first time, etc. 

I think you're all forgetting...this Broncos offense looked bad last year in the second half of the season and has looked awful all year long. Stop going for injury excuses. Favre never got these excuses, and half this forum still hates his guts, so why is Manning getting all the excuses?

Even when Manning is 100%, it don't matter. He's regressed and hasn't looked the same in recent years. The man is simply past his prime. If that was Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, this forum would go nuts to remind me and Patriots fans how they've regressed and how they only look good due to the rules of today's NFL. I don't know why Manning gets special treatment and treated like a God, when he hasn't looked the same now the past two years. 

The Broncos are an overrated team just like they were last year and they'll go straight into the first round of the playoffs and get blown out, then Manning will have TEN first round playoff exits as one and done. 

In recent years? He was an MVP that set all of kinds of records just two seasons ago and was still at that level until about the midpoint of last year. Manning has been past his prime for awhile now but it doesn't mean he still can't play. I get you are a Manning hater and want so desperately to see Brees be considered on the same level of Brady and Manning but he's not and never will be. Accept the facts and move forward.

Mike Ditka said he has the same injury twice and he said you can't play with that injury so I will say Manning's ego got in his way.

Eli had the same injury a few years ago...and he played through it. 

Yes I think Peyton is beat up, but he's been * poor this season and this smells like a 'benching cover up' to me.

Looking at Denver's remaining 7 games I see them missing playoffs or creeping into a wildcard spot. With or without Manning. They're worse off with him right now. Who knows if he'll have anymore "Green Bay Performances" left even if he comes back. Can see Denver going 2-5.

We change our minds every Monday morning...

Eli had the same injury a few years ago...and he played through it.

Yes I think Peyton is beat up, but he's been * poor this season and this smells like a 'benching cover up' to me.

Eli had a complete tear which is less painful. If you watched the game you could see he couldn't step into his throws

Probably because he is a competitor and thought he could play through much like any hall of fame player would do

You're prolly right there. Good point. Sadly, for Broncos fans, that was a deplorably bad decision. But congrats to 18 on his statistical record. Hell of regular season accomplishment. HOFer for sure.

Um... You might want to look at your address bar. It says forums.COLTS.com. 

Of course Manning is going to get some special treatment here. He was a Colt and many on this forum (me included) still like the guy! Just like how Brady would get special treatment on a Patriots forum. That's how fandom works here in the states, we're all deluded and in denial! I'm not saying it's justified or right or wrong. But that's just how it is... 

Barnwell on Manning's demise

"Peyton Manning gets benched for Brock Osweiler

Panic? YES

Even in what is almost surely going to be his final season of professional football, Manning probably couldn't have envisioned a performance quite as bad as the one he put on Sunday against Kansas City. He might have set the league's passing yardage record during the first half, but he also threw three picks before halftime for just the fourth time in his career. He added a fourth interception before coach Gary Kubiak mercifully brought in Osweiler. It was the first time Manning was benched since September 30, 2001, when he was with the Colts and then-coach Jim Mora took him out for Mark Rypien during a 44-13 loss to the Patriots. That game is famous for another reason: It was Tom Brady's first career start.

Kubiak tried to take the blame afterward for Manning's subpar start, suggesting he should have sat him after he suffered a rib injury during the week, but it's hardly as if this were a one-off performance. (ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Monday morning that Manning was also playing through a partially torn plantar fascia in his left foot.) It might have been Manning's first four-interception game of 2015, but he didn't look appreciably different from the struggling passer he has portrayed all season. This isn't like 2007, when Manning threw four picks in the first half of the season before a flukish six-interception disaster of a start against the Chargers. This has been a bad season at the office.

Manning has now thrown picks in nine consecutive games. That places him in dismal company. The list of quarterbacks who threw picks in nine consecutive games since 2000 isn't a pretty one. The names aren't the ones you associate with greatness. John Skelton. Ryan Leaf. Donovan McNabb's sojourn in Washington makes an appearance (you never want to be on a list with Donovan McNabb's year in D.C.). There are a couple of appearances by Philip Rivers and Drew Brees, but this is mostly a list of quarterbacks who were about to expire. The previous time Manning threw picks in even as many as six consecutive games was in 2001.

And while I'm sure Manning was affected by the rib and foot injuries, the issues Sunday against the Chiefs are the same ones he has had throughout this season. As much as his struggles are chalked up to his diminished arm strength, that's just part of the problem.

It's not as if he's deadly accurate on short passes and just can't throw a 16-yard out anymore. Manning has lost a great deal of his touch and labors into and out of his throwing motion. He overthrows his receivers seemingly as frequently as he one-hops passes in their direction. The amount of torque he needs to generate with his body to get zip on his passes forces him to commit to his throws earlier, making it far easier for defenders to hijack previously clear throwing lanes. His lack of arm strength is at the heart of some of Manning's issues, but somebody like Chad Pennington was able to succeed without an NFL-caliber arm toward the end of his career while simultaneously posting solid interception rates.

Manning is a mess -- and sadly for Broncos fans, there's just not much of a reason to think things will get better. The arguments earlier in the season were that the Broncos needed to return to a more Manning-friendly scheme and get their offensive line right, and neither solution appears to be in the cards. Each of Manning's 20 pass attempts Sunday came in the shotgun or pistol, and he posted a 0.1 QBR on those throws. Further injuries to the offensive line have prevented the unit from jelling, and the running game that carried Denver over the regular-season finish line last year hasn't shown up since the Nov. 1 win over Green Bay. Denver still has a great defense, but when the opposition's average starting field position is 52 yards away from the end zone, as it was for the Chiefs on Sunday, even a dominant defense can do only so much. The Broncos may have already banked enough victories to claim the West, but with Manning this altered, it's hard to see them doing much in January."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...-rocky-week-10

"It hard to see them doing much'....a prediction ...kinda like Cincy over Houstron by 10...or GB over Detroit by 7?

So many do 'First Take' and write the story for the entire season after ever week.

Against Green bay, Peyton threw for 340

against Indy... 281...

against KC....4 interceptions..

...In Green Bay this week (I can hear ESPN Wiscosnin up here) it seems they wonder if Aaron Rodgers has a bad arm.

Has he lost his confidence?

Are his line and his receivers letting him down?. Is he arrogant and unwilling to check down?.

Sound familiar.?

When Peyton comes back, things will be like they were against KC (or like they were against GB)

To those saying the Manning injury is a cover up, Adam Schefter reported that Manning was getting treatment outside of the Broncos for it throughout the season. It sounds like after it flared up vs the Colts that he could not hide it any longer. I thought he played pretty well vs us. He had his highest PFF rating of the year. He also was pretty good vs GB. Clearly, the injury led to the meltdown vs KC and sadly he may have lost his job for good. 

"It hard to see them doing much'....a prediction ...kinda like Cincy over Houstron by 10...or GB over Detroit by 7?

So many do 'First Take' and write the story for the entire season after ever week.

Against Green bay, Peyton threw for 340

against Indy... 281...

against KC....4 interceptions..

...In Green Bay this week (I can hear ESPN Wiscosnin up here) it seems they wonder if Aaron Rodgers has a bad arm.

Has he lost his confidence?

Are his line and his receivers letting him down?. Is he arrogant and unwilling to check down?.

Sound familiar.?

When Peyton comes back, things will be like they were against KC (or like they were against GB)

Not to derail but I think something is up with Rodgers. I think he may be injured as his accuracy has been way off and I also think there may be something going on between him and McCarthy. They have seemed testy on the sidelines.