Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Pep Hamilton coddling Andrew Luck?

SilentHill

I was reading some banter about the upcoming game, and someone made a comment that jarred my memory.

I remember in 2012, Luck would make a dumb play, whether it be a pick, or missing a receiver, or what not and going back to the sidelines, Arians would be pretty vocal with Andrew, even yelling at him at times and telling him to dust it off, and what not.

Since then, I can't remember Pep ever doing something like that with Luck, you would always see Pep with a "Caldwell" type look on his face after Luck had a blunder, and they would sit down on the bench like it was Sunday afternoon tea and review the play, and when Luck has gotten angry after a dumb mistake, I noticed pep stayed clear and didn't even approach Luck. This even happened last Monday night.

So was Pep just too nice? Too "Caldwell"? I think it will be verrrrrrrry interesting to see how Chud approaches Luck during the game on Sunday.

For those who don't remember:

1526807_10151799679486008_471152345_n-45

Oh boy.....

Here we go.....

Does anyone here know what goes on behind closed doors?

No.

Then you just don't know the answer to that question.

But coddling?      Does that even remotely sound like Andrew Luck?

Does anyone here stop to think before they post here?

Just because you're not seeing it happen on the sidelines,  doesn't mean it isn't happening behind closed doors.

Goodness...........               :facepalm:

Oh boy.....

Here we go.....

No.

But coddling? Does that even remotely sound like Andrew Luck?

Just because you're not seeing it happen on the sidelines, doesn't mean it isn't happening behind closed doors.

Goodness........... :facepalm:

Exactly!

Oh boy.....

Here we go.....

No.

But coddling?      Does that even remotely sound like Andrew Luck?

Just because you're not seeing it happen on the sidelines,  doesn't mean it isn't happening behind closed doors.

Goodness...........               :facepalm:

I was specifically talking about the sideline, which you know.... we can see because it's televised. Do you stop and think before you post or do you just read the headline?

He was. Pagano is the same way. Except he just claps and says "it'll be okay"

Every team needs that in your face coach. Tell it like it is coach. You mess up, you hear about it

Like in HS when you dropped an INT you did pushups

My coach was brutal. I sprained my ankle so bad I couldn't walk. He told me to get in there or go back to the locker room lol

Luck shouldn't even play Sunday against the Broncos. Why test the new situation out against an undefeated team with the added bonus of having the extra distraction of Peyton manning returning? Let Luck stay on the sidelines and watch the new offensive coordinator, talk to him the whole game to find out why he makes certain decisions and how he deals with different in game situations. Then they have two weeks (bye) to practice it. the Falcons will be test enough.

I don't recall Arians ever yelling at Luck. I also don't recall Tom Moore ever yelling at Peyton Manning.

Cause you don't yell at a coach..... duh lol

Peyton was always the coach. The "coaches" just had that title and paycheck.

Remember when he yelled at Donald Brown? I bet he was the only one who yelled at Donald. Peyton is the coach. Remember that

My coach was brutal. I sprained my ankle so bad I couldn't walk. He told me to get in there or go back to the locker room lol

Same here. We got blownout? Spent the next practice doing bear crawls & 100 yard sprints

We only suffered 2 blowout loses and after those 2, no one blew us out anymore. We couldn't take another one of those types of practices

Misses INT: Pushups

Missed QB Sack: Sprints & Bear crawls

We really mightve been the most disciplined group of 16 year Olds you ever saw haha

Cause you don't yell at a coach..... duh lol

Peyton was always the coach. The "coaches" just had that title and paycheck.

Remember when he yelled at Donald Brown? I bet he was the only one who yelled at Donald. Peyton is the coach. Remember that

Yeah, I'm sure he never learned a thing from Tom in those early years.....

He was. Pagano is the same way. Except he just claps and says "it'll be okay"

Every team needs that in your face coach. Tell it like it is coach. You mess up, you hear about it

Like in HS when you dropped an INT you did pushups

Which is why I want this guy:

3dcc1_jon_gruden.jpg

I don't know who he is, but he looks mad. No, wait, I like this guy better:

Jim-Harbaugh-Angry.jpg

Thank god you're not the coach.

Sereiously?

Your male ego is so wounded because you can't actually see someone scolding Andrew Luck on the sidelines that you think the coaches are soft on Luck and soft on the rest of the players.

How pitiful is that?!?

All you need to know is that the team plays hard.     And most of the time,  the team plays smart.

And, as a result,  the team YOU THINK is soft and coddled has won 11 games,  12 games and 13 games over the last 3 years.

But now they're having a bad year and you desperately search for answers and you come up with...........?

They're coddled.

Pitiful.     Nonsense.     And fan boy.

If you can't see it,  you don't believe it.    

Wow,  you really have suffered.    It must suck to be you.......              :facepalm:

Sereiously?

Your male ego is so wounded because you can't actually see someone scolding Andrew Luck on the sidelines that you think the coaches are soft on Luck and soft on the rest of the players.

How pitiful is that?!?

All you need to know is that the team plays hard.     And most of the time,  the team plays smart.

And, as a result,  the team YOU THINK is soft and coddled has won 11 games,  12 games and 13 games over the last 3 years.

But now they're having a bad year and you desperately search for answers and you come up with...........?

They're coddled.

Wow,  you really have suffered.    It must suck to be you.......              :facepalm:

I'm sorry I didn't know I was stroking my ego and sulking in how I've "suffered" and how it must "suck to be me" by opening a legitimate topic for discussion. Get over yourself.

Each coach has their own ways of handling things. Because a coach don't yell does not mean he is not a good coach. Dungy very rarely spoke loud enough to hear him. Luck is hard on himself so letting him vent by himself might be what Pagano is doing. John Harbaugh is pretty laid back considering his brother is Jim. Do you see Mike McCarthy getting bent out of shape on the sidelines? Sometimes a calming effect works better than being in your face.

Each coach has their own ways of handling things. Because a coach don't yell does not mean he is not a good coach. Dungy very rarely spoke loud enough to hear him. Luck is hard on himself so letting him vent by himself might be what Pagano is doing. John Harbaugh is pretty laid back considering his brother is Jim. Do you see Mike McCarthy getting bent out of shape on the sidelines? Sometimes a calming effect works better than being in your face.

Oh yea, I agree, there are a billion different ways to handle yourself on the sidelines, but that still doesn't mean Luck wasn't being coddled. Also sometimes a "in your face" effect works better than a calming one. I guess it just depends on the situation and demeanor at the time, me personally I'd rather have someone fired up, than someone mellow coming at me when I needed a lift up.

He was visibly PO'd during that playoff gm vs the Chiefs.

Every qb is coddled tho. If Andrew wants to, he'd have everyone member of the coaching staff fired. Even playing like crap, he has a tremendous amount of power. So no coach is just going to chew him out. I've noticed Pagano has beem coddling him ever since that gm where it sounded like he was blaming Amdrew. His been careful w/ his criticisms.

Why go so personal? You might not agree, but this?

I disagree with OP, but that's my PERSONAL opinion, as I view Andrew Luck as his own biggest critic, and if he's made mistakes, he's the first to put that on himself. No need for a yelling coach.

I'm sorry I didn't know I was stroking my ego and sulking in how I've "suffered" and how it must "suck to be me" by opening a legitimate topic for discussion. Get over yourself.

You don't have to be a psychology major to figure out what's going on here...

You and a large number of other posters want a coaching staff that would publicly yell and berate a player on national television?

Why?      Because when the player screws up you're at home yelling and screaming at the TV.    And now you want someone in a position of authority to do what you can't due.       The idea that you want it to make the players better is the same mentality that people who are abused by their parents turn right around above their own kids.

The system has worked.     The players play hard for Pagano and his staff because he has their back.    He and his staff have gone the most out of a roster that is not all that talented (until this year.)     The discipline is kept in-houes, behind closed doors.     But that's not enough for you because you can't see it.    And you don't believe it even happens.      Because you can't see it.

And the idea that Luck is a coddled athlete is one of the most embarrassing ideas ever put forth on this website.     I'd be embarrassed to have my name attached to that idea.

I remain in the camp that the team deserves a better fan base than the large number of spoiled people who hang out here and post such ridiculous ideas........

Sereiously?

How pitiful is that?!?

They're coddled.

Your writing

is atrocious why 

do you type like

this

Sereiously?

How pitiful is that?!?

They're coddled.

You don't have to be a psychology major to figure out what's going on here...

You and a large number of other posters want a coaching staff that would publicly yell and berate a player on national television?

Why?      Because when the player screws up you're at home yelling and screaming at the TV.    And now you want someone in a position of authority to do what you can't due.       The idea that you want it to make the players better is the same mentality that people who are abused by their parents turn right around above their own kids.

The system has worked.     The players play hard for Pagano and his staff because he has their back.    He and his staff have gone the most out of a roster that is not all that talented (until this year.)     The discipline is kept in-houes, behind closed doors.     But that's not enough for you because you can't see it.    And you don't believe it even happens.      Because you can't see it.

And the idea that Luck is a coddled athlete is one of the most embarrassing ideas ever put forth on this website.     I'd be embarrassed to have my name attached to that idea.

I remain in the camp that the team deserves a better fan base than the large number of spoiled people who hang out here and post such ridiculous ideas........

Whoa......dude relax. Did he run over your dog or something?

I don't necessarily agree with the premise of this thread either but I do get the intent and believe me, it's not that bad.

In 2012 Arians appeared to have a more aggressive in your face approach to many fans watching during games. I actually do remember him playfully hitting Luck on the helmet when he came off the field that year in NE after an interception. With Pep it was more like a Stanford reunion picnic. Thats all......thats all I think the intent was in a way.

:edit:

Your reference is to "playful"....   SH's reference is to "yelling" and "telling Luck to dust it off"....

Not exactly the same meaning.

You think you may be taking this a tad too seriously? Lighten up a bit. All right I'm done, but really chill a bit. It's just a message forum for football. Have a little fun at times.

Edited by Nadine

Deep introspects into the psychology of posters aside...

For those lovingly reminiscing about being yelled at by coaches, I respectfully remind you at what level you were playing at. I think it's been shown now that the hard butt approach doesn't cut it like it used to at the level of any sport. Players are too rich and too confident, to get to where they are they've by and large been the best of the best for a long time. 

College coaches sure, they're still kids really, they're apt to react better to boot camp tactics. 

This is why I don't think Saban would cut it in the NFL, or why Harbaugh eventually ran out of friends at SF despite his success. God look at Schiano and his brand of tough, how did that work out?

Players in the NFL need a leader not a drover.

I dislike the trend of watching the sidelines with a measuring stick for proper emotion or verbal punishment

Play is on the field

Professionals are hard on themselves.  If not, they should be

I'm fine with letting the play speak for itself and letting management deal with poor play.

Yelling on the sidelines means nothing to me except somebody is out of control.  I get that it has it's place but, generally I don't expect professionals to berate one another and personally find that berating people does not motivate them to do much besides dislike you

Also, people in this thread need to stop berating each other

Well said. How many of the recent Super Bowl-winning head coaches berate their players during games? BB, Carroll, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Payton, McCarthy...none of them yell and scream at their players. Coughlin is the only one known for yelling. I would rather have a head coach who is in control of his emotions.

Deep introspects into the psychology of posters aside...

For those lovingly reminiscing about being yelled at by coaches, I respectfully remind you at what level you were playing at. I think it's been shown now that the hard butt approach doesn't cut it like it used to at the level of any sport. Players are too rich and too confident, to get to where they are they've by and large been the best of the best for a long time. 

College coaches sure, they're still kids really, they're apt to react better to boot camp tactics. 

This is why I don't think Saban would cut it in the NFL, or why Harbaugh eventually ran out of friends at SF despite his success. God look at Schiano and his brand of tough, how did that work out?

Players in the NFL need a leader not a drover.

You might be right about Saban and Schiano, but I wouldn't lump Harbaugh in with those two. He appeared to save his tantrums for the refs.......and maybe the front office lol.