Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic options, Rumors for HC

BProland85

I hate the thought of Chuckie and his Napoleonic complex together with Luck. Luck is already demanding enough of himself. You add an overbearing presence like Gruden to the pressure Luck already puts in himself, and the results could be negative.

Could be positive as well. Tired of Colts adding these "player coaches" and "we'll get em next time" coaches with no fire. There has to be some discipline and accountability.(and confidence dare I say)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be positive as well. Tired of Colts adding these "player coaches" and "we'll get em next time" coaches with no fire. There has to be some discipline and accountability.(and confidence dare I say)

I would love to have Rex. Let him concentrate on the defense and get a decent O coordinator, he'll actually have a good QB for the first time as a head coach. A players coach who knows how to get angry and light a fire.

At this point, the only viable coach that could last long-term would be Sean Payton. His offensive system would do wonders for Luck. Defensively, they would need to get someone well-established on the outside. I doubt they could pry Wade Phillips away from Denver after just one season.

But the main issue here is that even if the Colts got a new coach, the problem still remains of a lack of talent on the offensive line and different parts of the defense. And if rumors are true that Grigson pretty much calls all the shots with draft picks and has a big say on who plays and who is on the coaching staff, then I have a hard time believing that ANY coach is going to want to come in and be a puppet.

Outside of that one Super Bowl and an NFC championship in 2006 what have Sean Peytons Saints teams done in the playoffs outside of fold in the first 2 rounds?  Good coach but is he really bringing that much more to the table?  Let's take a serious look at this because he's had a franchise quarterback since 2006 so up to this point that is 9 years, more like 8 because he was suspended for  the 2012 season.  It's just kind of odd to me that people want to throw Pagano out so bad when he's already won 3 playoff games in 3 years.  Not just 3 playoff games, but a step further every year and I know we'll be there this year.  He must be burned at the steak because it's really Luck that did all of that for him.....  At least that's what some of you guys like to say!

The Saints upon hiring Payton went to the NFC championship in 2006 and didn't even sniff the playoffs again until 2009 which was the Super Bowl.  The records in between those points were 7-9 in 2007 and 8-8 in 2008.  I can't even imagine what Colts fans would be saying with a 7-9 and 8-8 season missing the playoffs 2 years in a row.  If Pagano did that there would be Colt Fans who would find out where he lived in Indy and burn his house down I think!  Since that Super Bowl victory Payton hasn't done much more than Pagano has done as far as the success of the team.  I'd say he's done less and don't forget about what the Saints record was last year in the WORST division in football.  A division full of garbage teams and yet the Saints could only muster a 7-9 record?   And just to back track a little bit I wonder why nobody has taken all of Paytons credit away and given it to Brees like they do Pagano with Luck?

Oh yeah!  People talk about Pagano and Manusky, but Payton and the Saints were dumb enough to hire Rob Ryan who does nothing but field mediocre defenses every year.  That mediocre defense that Gore will be running over on Sunday!

I'll put this point out here again. Payton is already coaching a franchise quarterback so those of you thinking he's going to come over here and sprinkle pixie dust on Andrew should take this into consideration.  I think Payton is a good offensive coach in terms of the passing game,  I don't like that his teams don't usually run the football that much.  Not sure we'd be getting that much better than Pagano in terms of head coaching success.  What I'm really doing with this post is challenging this grass is greener mentality that people are passing around the forum.  I don't hate Payton but are people really analyzing this stuff?  He might even do something with Andrew but will the overall team be better?  I'm not so sure about that. Out of an 8 year coaching tenure under Payton the Saints have been to different levels of the playoffs 5 times.  Pagano is working on his 4th consecutive playoff year in 4 years.  You have got to give me a better excuse than "Oh it's because of Luck"

I just want to point out that a Rob Ryan mediocre defense is still better than any Manusky defense, we have never been ranked far out of the bottom of the NFL in total defense since hes been here.

Personally I really like Matt Patricia. He's done some good things with some marginal talent especially in the secondary. He's had a good couple years learning under Emperor Palpatine. I'd trust him to call plays on D as the HC.

Only thing is id want a GREAT new OC. Someone who I could trust to run the offense with not a lot of help. Pep isn't that. Maybe Chud? Am I the only one who completely forgot about him?

If we go for an offensive minded coach? I like Greg Roman, Buffalo's OC. He wouldn't let us not have a great run game.

Just, sweet baby Jesus, not Sean Payton...

As a matter of principle, I have to say no to any Belichick assistants. 

Why cant we all just enjoy the moment, the 2015 season being that moment? Some people just love drama. Why was there a "super bowl or bust" cliché put on this team before the season even started? Its hard to win any game in this salary cap era of football, every team we play usually gets better each year. Its a competitive sport. Most teams are more than one player away from being good and only one injury away from being bad. IMO, leave this stuff for the offseason and enjoy NFL Colts football while we got it 

If Luck is the focus, then the best coach would be Gruden. All of those bad tendencies Luck has like boneheaded throws, always going for the big play, inaccuracy, not taking sacks, etc...would be alleviated by Gruden, who is a QB whisperer.

He would also bring discipline and eliminate the silly penalties. If you pay attention to what Gruden says whenever Luck is involved, he seems to know exactly what needs to be fixed.

Grigson and Gruden wouldn't work though. You'd need the right GM to make it work. But the best coach for Luck would be Gruden.

If Luck is the focus, then the best coach would be Gruden. All of those bad tendencies Luck has like boneheaded throws, always going for the big play, inaccuracy, not taking sacks, etc...would be alleviated by Gruden, who is a QB whisperer.

He would also bring discipline and eliminate the silly penalties. If you pay attention to what Gruden says whenever Luck is involved, he seems to know exactly what needs to be fixed.

Grigson and Gruden wouldn't work though. You'd need the right GM to make it work. But the best coach for Luck would be Gruden.

I like Gruden too. He would be my 2nd choice if a change is needed. I still think we can win it all this year if we get our act together. We had it figured out the other night and just blew it basically but thankfully it wasn't a Playoff game. Still 10 games to go.

If you look at the top head coaches right now and the longest tenured head coaches in the league, ALL of them were coordinators in the NFL for periods of time. the exception is Tom Coughlin, who coached at Boston College before joining the Jaguars. You can say Chip Kelly but I wouldn't list him as a top coach in the league. Saban went 15-17 then got the heck out as quick as he could after the season ended. I think many Dolphins fans will tell you that his tenure couldn't have gone much worse. Plus he'd be 64 by the time he took over. How long could you really expect him to be here? His style wouldn't work with NFL players for a long period of time anyways.

Well, of course most successful head coaches were coordinators.....that where the vast majority of the hires come from. But what % of those guys go on to be anything more than one contract guys/retreads/mediocre coaches? I'm guessing most.

Saban was almost .500 with a mediocre roster and crap at QB. It could have went a lot worse. Saban's winning % is probably similar to Belichick's without Brady.

I have my eye on Tom Clements, I'd also love to have Tom Moore back as an offensive consultant but don't know how long his contract is with Arizona

Good call on Clements. I would assume Moore could leave if offered an OC position.

Gruden is a good coach, but not sure there is much evidence suggesting he is a QB whisperer. Although I do think he could help Luck.

I would agree. But you have to admit they do have a history of developing good assistant coaches

So long as they're assistants. All of them have failed once they leave the nest, maybe not right away, but within a couple years. Even Pioli didn't last in KC. Coincidentally, he and Dimitroff came from Belichick's staff, and now they've teamed up in Atlanta and look like they're doing a good job; I really liked their draft. 

Don't know if he's interested in returning, but my choice would be Gruden. He knows his football and he would bring an attitude and accountability that's been missing from this franchise for so long. Plus, he would kill for the chance to coach Luck which he has a man crush on. If anyone can lure him out of the broadcast booth it would be Luck. My choice might be Harbaugh if it wasn't for the fact that anybody who thinks he's leaving Michigan at this point is hallucinating. He hasn't even had a chance to bring his own recruits in yet and he already has the team on the verge of a top 10. Not gonna happen.

And here you have it the first Gruden post.....  Pesto...  I will assume you really dont know much about Gruden....  He actually really really sucks as a coach.    He is right where he belongs, talking % and trying to convince people he knows wth he is talking about.

Gruden is a good coach, but not sure there is much evidence suggesting he is a QB whisperer. Although I do think he could help Luck.

He went to an AFC Championship with Rich Gannon, and won the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson (and an incredible defense). If you've ever seen Gruden's QB camp, you can see he knows his X's and O's and how the QB position should be played.

Also when he breaks down film he can tell exactly what the QB saw and thought through an entire play. Maybe I'll post some videos, but anyone who knows Gruden will tell you that if nothing else, he knows his QBs.

He went to an AFC Championship with Rich Gannon, and won the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson (and an incredible defense). If you've ever seen Gruden's QB camp, you can see he knows his X's and O's and how the QB position should be played.

Also when he breaks down film he can tell exactly what the QB saw and thought through an entire play. Maybe I'll post some videos, but anyone who knows Gruden will tell you that if nothing else, he knows his QBs.

I don't know anyone that knows Gruden

you have been to his camp?  Or saw the highlights on TV?   Those are there to boost ratings on MNF jsyk....

He is a horrible coach...HORRIBLE

And here you have it the first Gruden post.....  Pesto...  I will assume you really dont know much about Gruden....  He actually really really sucks as a coach.    He is right where he belongs, talking % and trying to convince people he knows wth he is talking about.

Yeah, not really true.

I don't know anyone that knows Gruden

I meant if you hear comments from players he's coached, other coaches or people like myself who have followed his coaching career (grew up in Tampa when he coached the Bucs). You'll always here too things about him:

1. He's fiery/ hot headed

2. He knows QBs

Anyone who tells you he's a bad coach just probably follows the media driven narrative that he's a hot head who took Dungy's team to the Super Bowl and then ruined the team, which isn't true. Gruden is underrated. Actually, criminally underrated.

Well, of course most successful head coaches were coordinators.....that where the vast majority of the hires come from. But what % of those guys go on to be anything more than one contract guys/retreads/mediocre coaches? I'm guessing most.

Saban was almost .500 with a mediocre roster and crap at QB. It could have went a lot worse. Saban's winning % is probably similar to Belichick's without Brady.

Well yeah, MOST head coaches don't end up being great head coaches, just like most first round draft picks don't become elite players. You're obviously not going to bat 1.000% in any aspect of professional football. Nothing Saban did in his tenure as Dolphins coach suggests he'd be worth the $8 - 10 Million dollar salary he'd likely demand in the NFL. You can do a lot better for half of the money.