Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

David Parry

RockThatBlue

Then he should have his butt benched until he starts caring. He didn't play well enough last season to afford himself the luxury of taking it easy in preseason.

Regardless, I highly doubt that's the case.

Trust me I agree with you. I'm just holding out hope that maybe he just didn't care enough to try, because if he's getting man handled by second string linemen in the regular season its gonna be a long year for the d line

I'll also add that Langford didn't really do much either. At least not that I recall.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I believe I saw Arthur Jones getting worked over by the Eagles 2nd string line as well.

What does that have to do with Parry.

Disagree. Parry played pretty good against Barkley unit. Between 8.24 - 7.36 in the 2nd quarter, when he was in a game, he made 3 good plays against run. Then he was rested and took the field at 3.00. And again, played pretty good, jut look at run stop at 2.20.

Thanks for the time frames, if I get a chance I will go back and look.

I just watched the game again and when it comes to Parry, he deserves the praise. He played against the 2's & 3's and was disruptive inside, any number of times he blew plays up because he slipped gaps and got into the backfield. He also got off blocks and made tackles. He has a low center of gravity, is very quick off the ball and his motor ran until the whistle blew, no matter how far he had to run. He handled his business very well IMHO.

Nothing really. But, it just may show how good their 2nd string line is, or maybe that Arthur Jones still isn't any good.

Their 2nd line was not that good.  I have not thought much of Jones see he came to the team.  And I asked several times last year why people were excited about Jones, I never got a very good answer.  He was one of those guys that many thought he was ready to make that leap to full time starter but I have not seen it yet.

Their 2nd line was not that good. I have not thought much of Jones see he came to the team. And I asked several times last year why people were excited about Jones, I never got a very good answer. He was one of those guys that many thought he was ready to make that leap to full time starter but I have not seen it yet.

I agree, the Jones signing didn't really excite me at the time and he was less than good for us last year.

I agree, the Jones signing didn't really excite me at the time and he was less than good for us last year.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this as well.  The size is all Jones has going for him, but beyond that, he just don't produce that much.  Fortunately, I don't think his deal will be that hard to walk away from next year.

Their 2nd line was not that good.  I have not thought much of Jones see he came to the team.  And I asked several times last year why people were excited about Jones, I never got a very good answer.  He was one of those guys that many thought he was ready to make that leap to full time starter but I have not seen it yet.

The reason you haven't seen it yet is that he got badly hurt (high ankle sprain) in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd game of last season (vs. Philly)       He wasn't anywhere close to 100% last year.     He came back too soon,  re-injured his leg and just wasn't able to show what he could do.

But he's dropped 20 pounds this off-season and should be able to show why the team gave him a 5/33m contract.  

That said,  I was unimpressed with him and the rest of the defense Sunday....

The reason you haven't seen it yet is that he got badly hurt (high ankle sprain) in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd game of last season (vs. Philly)       He wasn't anywhere close to 100% last year.     He came back too soon,  re-injured his leg and just wasn't able to show what he could do.

But he's dropped 20 pounds this off-season and should be able to show why the team gave him a 5/33m contract.  

I agree  

He wasnt impressive, and was handled ........

It is good to see Parry doing well...good motor and tenacity.

I was not happy with this pick, undersized D-lineman for a 3-4 D, but it was only a 5th round pick and looks like he might make the squad.

The common mistake people make... getting to caught up in size and think it makes or breaks a D linemen. It doesnt. It can be an additional advantage if the player know how to use it. But it does not determine whether or not he can be successful. If you have a guy like Parry who is quick of the ball, has a low center of gravity and stays low, also is very strong with decent technique then the lack of 10-15 lbs doesn't mean much. LOW man wins at the line of scrimmage.. plain and simple. And people thought he wouldn't be able to get off blocks cause he has shorter arms... well that's not so much the case either.

The common mistake people make... getting to caught up in size and think it makes or breaks a D linemen. It doesnt. It can be an additional advantage if the player know how to use it. But it does not determine whether or not he can be successful. If you have a guy like Parry who is quick of the ball, has a low center of gravity and stays low, also is very strong with decent technique then the lack of 10-15 lbs doesn't mean much. LOW man wins at the line of scrimmage.. plain and simple. And people thought he wouldn't be able to get off blocks cause he has shorter arms... well that's not so much the case either.

Agreed. If weight is all that mattered than Montori Hughes and Josh Chapman would be two of the most dominant D-linemen in the league.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Bears-Quarterback-Jay-Cutler-On-Colts-Practice-%E2%80%9CThey-Won-The-Day%E2%80%9D/5ce7c205-5f2b-4876-897f-d3b6a25b684c

From the above article:

Fifth-round pick David Parry received several reps with the first-team defense up front. Those reps are deserving after the day Parry had on Sunday in the preseason opener (four tackles). The value of these practices was evident when you got to see Parry hold his own against Bears Pro Bowl offensive guard Kyle Long.

Those could be the reasons.  But even in those first two games I did not see what all the fuss was about.  He was just another guy

Looks like Parry has been impressive enough in the Eagles game that he not only earned some 1st team reps in practice this week, but according to the wrap-up video on Colts.com, he should see 1st team reps in the bears preseason game due to his performance against one of the leagues best centers in practice with Long.  I think that speaks alot considering he is a smaller rookie compared to our larger more experienced NT's.

Maybe its just me but I don't buy the whole "He wasn't 100%" line with any player. It's the NFL, the most physically demanding sport in the world, and with recent concussion studies, had been called the most dangerous professional sport by some.

Outside from Week 1 of the regular season, there is no "100%" when it comes to this league. Even if people don't have actual reported injuries, people are always going to be banged up. Dez Bryant played with broken fingers for a few games last season and still made plays. It's different where you're banged up to the point where you literally can barely play. Bit I don't think there is any excuses if you get cleared by a doctor to play.

I don't after the first 2 games there is any player besides kickers and punters who are 100%. You know who wasn't 100% last year. DeMarco Murray. He got a billion touches and still produced every week. Didn't complain once. I'm not saying injuries aren't serious, but don't tell me a guy didn't perform because he wasn't 100%. Who is truly 100% after awhile anyways? And of you are medically cleared to play than there are no excuses.

He looked decent. I'd like to see him against better talent in the next few games.

Yea, that's when the curve flattens out.. what was the defensive tackle's name from LSU that looked good in pre-season then couldn't even make the 53.  Went to the Chargers.  I have a feeling he is not even on the chargers any longer. I think he had short squatty arms. Just can't remember his name.

Yea, that's when the curve flattens out.. what was the defensive tackle's name from LSU that looked good in pre-season then couldn't even make the 53. Went to the Chargers. I have a feeling he is not even on the chargers any longer. I think he had short squatty arms. Just can't remember his name.

Drake Nevis......the Orc

The D line has a chance to be very solid. Teams will have a rough time running on us I think.

Wow, you seem very optimistic. What is the reason for your optimism? Not that I wouldn't like to be optimistic but the additions made in the offseason seem to be pretty vanilla. We picked up 2 mid round draft picks and signed a Langford who was thought of as a player who has had mixed results over the years. I like what I'm hearing about Parry, I sure hope he can help shore up that interior because that was a big soft area for us in the past.

Looks like Parry has been impressive enough in the Eagles game that he not only earned some 1st team reps in practice this week, but according to the wrap-up video on Colts.com, he should see 1st team reps in the bears preseason game due to his performance against one of the leagues best centers in practice with Long.  I think that speaks alot considering he is a smaller rookie compared to our larger more experienced NT's.

6-01 308. Low center of gravity. Sometimes that extra 20 pounds is just enough to slow you down and make you ineffective. I for one don't get hung up on that weight of a player. I know you cant expect a 270 pound guy to play NT and take on double teams from modern day NFL offensive lines but 308 seems solid and might just give him a quickness edge.

5th-round rookie defensive tackle David Parry continues to get some reps with the first team at nose tackle between Kendall Langford and Art Jones. On one occasion during a red zone period, Parry moved his blocker beautifully, clearing the way for inside linebackers Jerrell Freeman and D’Qwell Jackson to come in and make the stop on the running back. In a 9-on-7 drill with the second team featuring all offensive rushing plays, Parry’s penetration stood out.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Joint-Practice-Thursday-Notebook-3-INTs-for-Colts-D/606fa546-bea2-4bbf-b7b2-bbb40a075be6

Yea, that's when the curve flattens out.. what was the defensive tackle's name from LSU that looked good in pre-season then couldn't even make the 53.  Went to the Chargers.  I have a feeling he is not even on the chargers any longer. I think he had short squatty arms. Just can't remember his name.

Yeah but Nevis wasn't really a 2 gapper.  He got good penetration on passing downs, but he couldn't hold up against the run.  I think that's what got his bags packed.  Parry can do both things effectively, however I do agree that we need to see more of this in other games.  So far though I love what I've seen.

6-01 308. Low center of gravity. Sometimes that extra 20 pounds is just enough to slow you down and make you ineffective. I for one don't get hung up on that weight of a player. I know you cant expect a 270 pound guy to play NT and take on double teams from modern day NFL offensive lines but 308 seems solid and might just give him a quickness edge.

Parry and Anderson were about the same size weight wise -Anderson having height advantage- when they played at Stanford.  Though Parry was listed as NT and Anderson DE, they both switched positions often throughout games to  get better match-ups.   Shows me both these guys work well with each other and can play multiple positions.  also makes me wonder if this past with them could lead them to being able to do this with the colts when they are on the field at the same time.  it's could cause confusion, misreads, and missed assignments for  opposing offenses.

6-01 308. Low center of gravity. Sometimes that extra 20 pounds is just enough to slow you down and make you ineffective. I for one don't get hung up on that weight of a player. I know you cant expect a 270 pound guy to play NT and take on double teams from modern day NFL offensive lines but 308 seems solid and might just give him a quickness edge.

A couple of years ago Jay Ratliff was considered one of the best NTs in the game and was maybe a donut over 300. It's not impossible for smaller guys to dominate at the NT position.

A couple of years ago Jay Ratliff was considered one of the best NTs in the game and was maybe a donut over 300. It's not impossible for smaller guys to dominate at the NT position.

However, Ratliff was playing in Wade Phillips' 1-gap 3-4 scheme in Dallas at the time.  DL personnel are typically smaller and more agile in a 1 gap 3-4 whereas usually stronger and bigger in a 2 gap.  Granted the Colts run a hybrid scheme, but the NT specifically is more often than not playing 2 gaps.

However, Ratliff was playing in Wade Phillips' 1-gap 3-4 scheme in Dallas at the time. DL personnel are typically smaller and more agile in a 1 gap 3-4 whereas usually stronger and bigger in a 2 gap. Granted the Colts run a hybrid scheme, but the NT specifically is more often than not playing 2 gaps.

Good call, I was trying to remember who was the DC of the Cowboys at the time all though Wade was the HC as well. Ratliff pretty much fell off after Wade's tenure was over.

I just can't get over how some of the talking heads are so mesmerized that the Colts didn't draft DL in the first round.  I think that Parry, and Anderson too for that matter, are looking pretty good.  Its early but I for one think Grigson may have more than a room temperature IQ.  Nice picks! 

I just can't get over how some of the talking heads are so mesmerized that the Colts didn't draft DL in the first round.  I think that Parry, and Anderson too for that matter, are looking pretty good.  Its early but I for one think Grigson may have more than a room temperature IQ.  Nice picks! 

I'm kinda curious.......how's Malcom Brown doing in New England so far?

I'm kinda curious.......how's Malcom Brown doing in New England so far?

I do think Brown will be a good player for the Pats and I heard he's done alright/good.  Now I'll say when I watched the Pats vs Packers game I didn't see a whole lot then that left me thinking superstar or anything, but I didn't see stuff that made me think he couldn't be successful.  It was kind of middling

Maybe its just me but I don't buy the whole "He wasn't 100%" line with any player. It's the NFL, the most physically demanding sport in the world, and with recent concussion studies, had been called the most dangerous professional sport by some.

Outside from Week 1 of the regular season, there is no "100%" when it comes to this league. Even if people don't have actual reported injuries, people are always going to be banged up. Dez Bryant played with broken fingers for a few games last season and still made plays. It's different where you're banged up to the point where you literally can barely play. Bit I don't think there is any excuses if you get cleared by a doctor to play.

I don't after the first 2 games there is any player besides kickers and punters who are 100%. You know who wasn't 100% last year. DeMarco Murray. He got a billion touches and still produced every week. Didn't complain once. I'm not saying injuries aren't serious, but don't tell me a guy didn't perform because he wasn't 100%. Who is truly 100% after awhile anyways? And of you are medically cleared to play than there are no excuses.

Just because all players are not 100% that doesn't mean that they're all the same,   that their injuries or soreness is the same.

That's simply not the case.     All injuries or general soreness are NOT created equal.

Plus,  different players perform differently when they're less than 100%.    Everyone is different.

Just because all players are not 100% that doesn't mean that they're all the same,   that their injuries or soreness is the same.

That's simply not the case.     All injuries or general soreness are NOT created equal.

Plus,  different players perform differently when they're less than 100%.    Everyone is different.

I get what you're saying. But my thing is that it seems to often people credit poor play with a person not being 100% healthy. And then because no one is ever really 100% the use it as a crutch to forever lean on.

Perfect example is RGIII his sophomore season. I'm not saying I redirect every player to be Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo, or Big Ben but I think to often people use health as an excuse.

Just a guess but don't be surprised if Parry gets snaps with the first team defense tomorrow night. I think its a legitimate possibility, he got some first team snaps this week in practice and the coaches loved how he played last week. Definitely anxious to see how he will look against a first team offensive line.