Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deflategate merge -- pending appeal results

Bad Morty

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can ONLY mean that they were deliberately deflating balls to gain an advantage, even though they measured the balls and they weren't deflated!!!

I really don't see any other interpretation. If you're so smart, feel free to provide a plausible explanation, don't just dig yourself a bigger whole and come off as a buffoon

... but Kraft's hug it out with Goodell just hours after he told Peter King that he may consider suing or at least not rule anything out raises some red flags. What does that mean ultimately?

What does it mean?  My guess is that Kraft was just grandstanding and never actually had any intension of taking this to court.  Can you imagine McNally under oath in an actual legal setting?   Kraft was just doing all he could to smear and hopefully discredit the Wells report.  It was not even a bluff but just an act to try to give credibility to  the smear campaign against the Wells report.

As HC he would be approving that call in that situation. He also took the blame for it.

He really shouldn't have, play calling wise it wasn't a horrendous call. It's a cover 0 beater. While Butler gets all the plaudits for making a play, it's actually Browner who recognised the play, alerts Butler and, crucially, jammed his guy at the LOS not allowing him to get the pick on Butler.

If they score it no one would say boo about the play call, no "despite a horrendous call" the Seahawks win. That's the problem with 95% of fans, they only look at the end result, never the mechanics of how the result was derived. That or they use hindsight analysis.

Anyway.. Back to talking about how the Tom Brady is going to part the Atlantic Ocean and lead the poor persecuted Pats to Provincetown..

He really shouldn't have, play calling wise it wasn't a horrendous call. It's a cover 0 beater. While Butler gets all the plaudits for making a play, it's actually Browner who recognised the play, alerts Butler and, crucially, jammed his guy at the LOS not allowing him to get the pick on Butler.

If they score it no one would say boo about the play call, no "despite a horrendous call" the Seahawks win. That's the problem with 95% of fans, they only look at the end result, never the mechanics of how the result was derived. That or they use hindsight analysis.

Anyway.. Back to talking about how the Tom Brady is going to part the Atlantic Ocean and lead the poor persecuted Pats to Provincetown..

Just because it's a Cover 0 beater against Cover 0 doesn't mean it's the right call. Situationally, it's the wrong call all the way around. Both teams were at a loss as to how to manage the clock down there. Then they call a pass play with a primary read that a) isn't the strength of their passing offense, and b) challenges the strength of the Pats defense. Any kind of play action with a longer read for Wilson, which could potentially include him scrambling or otherwise testing the containment of the Pats defensive front -- their weak spot -- would have been much more advisable. Even if Wilson has to throw it way or even take a sack, you still have a timeout, and so have at least two more plays to run.

To me, it's not just throwing the ball, and it's not just not giving it to Lynch. Even if you're going to throw it, it's the wrong kind of pass play in that situation, against that team. 

Says the armchair coach/QB...

Just because it's a Cover 0 beater against Cover 0 doesn't mean it's the right call. Situationally, it's the wrong call all the way around. Both teams were at a loss as to how to manage the clock down there. Then they call a pass play with a primary read that a) isn't the strength of their passing offense, and b) challenges the strength of the Pats defense. Any kind of play action with a longer read for Wilson, which could potentially include him scrambling or otherwise testing the containment of the Pats defensive front -- their weak spot -- would have been much more advisable. Even if Wilson has to throw it way or even take a sack, you still have a timeout, and so have at least two more plays to run.

To me, it's not just throwing the ball, and it's not just not giving it to Lynch. Even if you're going to throw it, it's the wrong kind of pass play in that situation, against that team.

Says the armchair coach/QB...

I don't completely disagree, I skipped over the time management part as I was more poking at the people who call it horrendous without even looking into to the ins and outs of the play.

Agree that it wasn't playing to their strengths but I think they got cute thinking the Pats wouldn't expect that play. They read it, and executed the correct D perfectly to counter the play, the rest as they say is history.

Sorry to be clearer, I was saying in that down and distance type scenario it's not an awful play, the Broncos IIRC loved this sort of play design but as you pointed out they have the personel to run it more effectively. Factoring in game situation as well.. Maybe not the best idea. But I stand by I don't think it was a complete off the wall call, just a bit too cute.

I bow to your armchair as ever :P

Yes, it really was. It is not just that it was a pass play but it was the play itself here that was the issue. To go into a spread formation and basically have Wilson drop back and throw to a spot over the middle of the field from the one was just about the worst play call in that situation. If you are going to pass there than either have Wilson play action so he has a longer read or a designed roll out like the niners did with Kaep vs the Ravens in the SB a few years ago.

In addition to all that, the play was designed to go to their third best receiver in Lockette. Not Baldwin, not Kearse. If you are going to do a pick play, why not go with your best or second best receiver?

In terms of your point about the result. How else are we to measure the call? The issue with putting the ball in the air in the first place is that 2 of 3 things that can happen are bad and then you add to that Lynch, the best back in the league and it makes it head scratching all the way around.

Just my two cents ... I believe Butler made a heck of a play but honestly the Pats caught a huge break courtesy of Pete.

Can any pats fan answer this? A few certain posters continue to ignore it when I ask?

Please explain what the different inferences may have realistically been

We are ignoring because it has already been discussed at length. Just search Yee's comments from back in May and you will have your answers as well as the Pats in context report. The fact is texts can have different meanings/intent which is why they are shaking ground at best in a court case and often not admitted as evidence. And in this case, it is all the NFL really has with the science part being debunked in the Wells report.

Yes, it really was. It is not just that it was a pass play but it was the play itself here that was the issue. To go into a spread formation and basically have Wilson drop back and throw to a spot over the middle of the field from the one was just about the worst play call in that situation. If you are going to pass there than either have Wilson play action so he has a longer read or a designed roll out like the niners did with Kaep vs the Ravens in the SB a few years ago.

In addition to all that, the play was designed to go to their third best receiver in Lockette. Not Baldwin, not Kearse. If you are going to do a pick play, why not go with your best or second best receiver?

In terms of your point about the result. How else are we to measure the call? The issue with putting the ball in the air in the first place is that 2 of 3 things that can happen are bad and then you add to that Lynch, the best back in the league and it makes it head scratching all the way around.

Just my two cents ... I believe Butler made a heck of a play but honestly the Pats caught a huge break courtesy of Pete.

How else?! By ignoring the end result and looking at it just from the X and O's that's how.

Repeat, not saying it was the right call or even a good call, just saying if it hadn't ended like that it wouldn't be decried so much.

As above too, the star of the play is Browner actually IMO, he's the one alerting Butler pre snap and jamming the pick receiver.

How else?! By ignoring the end result and looking at it just from the X and O's that's how.

Repeat, not saying it was the right call or even a good call, just saying if it hadn't ended like that it wouldn't be decried so much.

As above too, the star of the play is Browner actually IMO, he's the one alerting Butler pre snap and jamming the pick receiver.

I think the X's and O's though also show how bad of a call it was (see my first paragraph on the play design).

It isn't just the result but how one gets to the result. The play call itself lent itself to a higher probability of interception.

I don't disagree about Browner as it was a tag team effort but Butler is the one that put his foot in the ground, broke on the route, got there before Lockette and made the pick while making contact with Lockette in the process. It was a heck of a play by him. One thing to break it up, quite another to pick it clean.

I really don't see any other interpretation. If you're so smart, feel free to provide a plausible explanation, don't just dig yourself a bigger whole and come off as a buffoon

the plausible explanation is that they measured the footballs at halftime and there's no conclusive science to show that the balls were any more deflated than they should have been given the conditions. So if the balls weren't significantly lower than you'd expect, then the text messages mean nada.

the plausible explanation is that they measured the footballs at halftime and there's no conclusive science to show that the balls were any more deflated than they should have been given the conditions. So if the balls weren't significantly lower than you'd expect, then the text messages mean nada.

Thanks . I finally get it. It's similar to if I go into a bank , point a gun at a teller's head and demand a bag of cash. The teller gives me a bag of deposit slips. I take it run out the door without realizing I had nothing. They catch me but can't prosecute me because I didn't get any money. So do I have it right ? It doesn't matter how much circumstantial evidence there is pointing to what most of us feel happened. If the ball measurements can be explained by weather conditions , nothing happened ? 

We are ignoring because it has already been discussed at length. Just search Yee's comments from back in May and you will have your answers as well as the Pats in context report. The fact is texts can have different meanings/intent which is why they are shaking ground at best in a court case and often not admitted as evidence. And in this case, it is all the NFL really has with the science part being debunked in the Wells report.

There is nothing realistic about Yee's explanation. Get real

Which is something they are perfectly entitled to do, we welcome fans of ALL teams and would expect ALL posters to post within the rules.

There is actually a decent enough discussion going on here underneath all the personal bickering.

Did I say they shouldn't?. What are you trying to say?

We are ignoring because it has already been discussed at length. Just search Yee's comments from back in May and you will have your answers as well as the Pats in context report. The fact is texts can have different meanings/intent which is why they are shaking ground at best in a court case and often not admitted as evidence. And in this case, it is all the NFL really has with the science part being debunked in the Wells report.

I don't go by the Wells report on the science.  I did my own here.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/38957-the-cbf-report-deflate-case-on-appeal/#entry1125750

Why don't you and the other Pats fans debunk that...

That ties in with Brady refusing to provide his cell phone. The known text along with Brady's would have made such a clearer picture. The report concluded that there was enough evidence with the two equipment men text. If your boy would have proved he had nothing to hide all this would be long over. Other than some horse dung story about why he wouldn't turn over his cell phone, why didn't he turn it over?   You guys have come up with all kinds of excuses why Brady refused to cooperate except the one that most think is true. You know, the one that Brady's phone would tie all this together? Has Brady said why he refused to turn over his cell phone? Not that I have heard.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, June 28, 2015 - shot at moderation
Hidden by Nadine, June 28, 2015 - shot at moderation

I was encouraging everyone to post within the rules as respect their fellow posters regardless of their allegiances when it comes to NFL teams.

oh yeah?

Must be a coincidence you happen to select my post then.

Nevertheless, keep up the good work !

You know what I was tired of hearing this nonsense so I did the calculations myself. Now it has been a while since I've taken a chem class so anyone feel free to correct me on my calculations if you have a clue as to what I'm talkin about.

Gaylussacs gas law states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature. It can be expressed as p1/t1=p2/t2. The patriots claim that tom lines his balls right at 12.5 psi, which is the lowest you can legally have them before the gAme so I used that as my initial pressure (giving them the Botd they weren't at 12.6 or something)

So let's plug it in, you have to convert 12.5 psi into ATM (atmospheric pressure) for the equation to work. One ATM equals 14.7 psi therefore 12.5 psi equals .8503 ATMs.

Now you have to convert the temperatures from farenheight to kelvin. I didn't feel like doing the long conversions so I used google to convert 70 farenheight (room temperature) to Celsius then u get kelvin by adding 273 degrees. So room temperature was roughly 294 kelvin, outside kickoff (50 degrees farenheight) comes out to 283.5 kelvin.

Now the fun part, plugging it in. You have if you have been able to keep up through that, .8503/294=x/283.5 . X representing the new pressure that should have resulted from the temperature change. You have to convert this resulting number back to psi from ATMs by multiplying it by 14.7.

Ladies and gentlemen the jury is in, the pats ball should have came in at a whopping 12.05 psi. Their lowest ball weighed in at around 10.5 psi. There was no change in temperature that could account for that.

Do your own research, you're wrong

We are ignoring because it has already been discussed at length. Just search Yee's comments from back in May and you will have your answers as well as the Pats in context report. The fact is texts can have different meanings/intent which is why they are shaking ground at best in a court case and often not admitted as evidence. And in this case, it is all the NFL really has with the science part being debunked in the Wells report.

the science has not been debunked at all, I would love to see the equations because that's simply a bunch of crap

You know what I was tired of hearing this nonsense so I did the calculations myself. Now it has been a while since I've taken a chem class so anyone feel free to correct me on my calculations if you have a clue as to what I'm talkin about.

Gaylussacs gas law states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature. It can be expressed as p1/t1=p2/t2. The patriots claim that tom lines his balls right at 12.5 psi, which is the lowest you can legally have them before the gAme so I used that as my initial pressure (giving them the Botd they weren't at 12.6 or something)

So let's plug it in, you have to convert 12.5 psi into ATM (atmospheric pressure) for the equation to work. One ATM equals 14.7 psi therefore 12.5 psi equals .8503 ATMs.

Now you have to convert the temperatures from farenheight to kelvin. I didn't feel like doing the long conversions so I used google to convert 70 farenheight (room temperature) to Celsius then u get kelvin by adding 273 degrees. So room temperature was roughly 294 kelvin, outside kickoff (50 degrees farenheight) comes out to 283.5 kelvin.

Now the fun part, plugging it in. You have if you have been able to keep up through that, .8503/294=x/283.5 . X representing the new pressure that should have resulted from the temperature change. You have to convert this resulting number back to psi from ATMs by multiplying it by 14.7.

Ladies and gentlemen the jury is in, the pats ball should have came in at a whopping 12.05 psi. Their lowest ball weighed in at around 10.5 psi. There was no change in temperature that could account for that.

I too was tired of hearing it, and did my own work as well.  I made sure not to fall for the mistakes others have made in not using absolute pressure, and the atmospheric pressure game time was 29.75 inHG which is 14.6 ATM.  I assumed 75 F indoor temp and outside is a documented 52 F.  I do the whole report here,.  You and I were on the same page!!

http://forums.colts.com/topic/38957-the-cbf-report-deflate-case-on-appeal/#entry1125750

Nothing has been debunked. Yee's report is not part of the NFL report and won't be. Besides, this will never go to court. I know it and deep down you know it too. Brady is toast and there is nothing any Patriot fans is going to say to change that. I am taking the odds on how long the whines last when this is over. I give it 6 months.

Thanks . I finally get it. It's similar to if I go into a bank , point a gun at a teller's head and demand a bag of cash. The teller gives me a bag of deposit slips. I take it run out the door without realizing I had nothing. They catch me but can't prosecute me because I didn't get any money. So do I have it right ? It doesn't matter how much circumstantial evidence there is pointing to what most of us feel happened. If the ball measurements can be explained by weather conditions , nothing happened ? 

so is your theory then that the intention was to deflate the balls, but he failed? I wonder what happened...maybe he tried putting the wrong end of the pin into the footballs?

so is your theory then that the intention was to deflate the balls, but he failed? I wonder what happened...maybe he tried putting the wrong end of the pin into the footballs?

Between 2 and 7 Patriots balls were deflated beyond the Ideal Gas Law prediction, depending upon gauge used. No Colts balls were.  Period.

PV = nRT science is here-  http://forums.colts.com/topic/38957-the-cbf-report-deflate-science-re-done-independently/#entry1125750

I was going by the Wells report science, which said the balls should have measured at 11.3 if they started at 12.5. So you can reach out to Exponent and give them your ideas, but they concluded that 11.3 was the number. The measurements taken by the logo gauge (which the ref said he used but Wells said "no sorry - we think you have excellent memory of everything...except this...you used the other gauge), were all above 11.3. The measurements by the other gauge...3 were above 11.3, 6 were within 0.2 PSI, and 2 were a bit lower, but still within 0.5 PSI. The whole point of the Wells report science is to try to "explain away" the fact that the measurements don't prove that there was intentional tampering...that's why the measurements of the 4 Colts balls were brought in. Wells is basically saying "OK - if you just look at the measurements of the Pats balls, it doesn't jump out at you that any tampering occurred...but look at the difference between how much the Colts balls deflated versus the Pats balls...the Pats balls dropped WAY more! So that's how they conclude that the tampering happened...except for the small detail that their calculations of the relative pressure drops between the 2 teams was done incorrectly, incompletely, and has been pretty universally debunked. So in conclusion, the actual halftime measurements don't indicate any tampering occurred, and the 'back door' comparison to the Colts balls doesn't work...so the ONLY thing this case is built on is text messages and the fact that the guy took the balls into the bathroom.

Between 2 and 7 Patriots balls were deflated beyond the Ideal Gas Law prediction, depending upon gauge used. No Colts balls were.  Period.

PV = nRT science is here-  http://forums.colts.com/topic/38957-the-cbf-report-deflate-science-re-done-independently/#entry1125750

if there was an actual scheme to deflate balls to gain a competitive advantage, every single ball would have been significantly and unequivocally below where they should have been regardless of which gauge was used. If the best you can tell me is that 6 balls were 0.2 PSI below the ideal gas law on one of the gauges, you really don't have evidence of a plot to cheat.

if there was an actual scheme to deflate balls to gain a competitive advantage, every single ball would have been significantly and unequivocally below where they should have been regardless of which gauge was used. If the best you can tell me is that 6 balls were 0.2 PSI below the ideal gas law on one of the gauges, you really don't have evidence of a plot to cheat.

There is a reason Kraft didn't appeal.

I was going by the Wells report science, which said the balls should have measured at 11.3 if they started at 12.5. So you can reach out to Exponent and give them your ideas, but they concluded that 11.3 was the number. The measurements taken by the logo gauge (which the ref said he used but Wells said "no sorry - we think you have excellent memory of everything...except this...you used the other gauge), were all above 11.3. The measurements by the other gauge...3 were above 11.3, 6 were within 0.2 PSI, and 2 were a bit lower, but still within 0.5 PSI. The whole point of the Wells report science is to try to "explain away" the fact that the measurements don't prove that there was intentional tampering...that's why the measurements of the 4 Colts balls were brought in. Wells is basically saying "OK - if you just look at the measurements of the Pats balls, it doesn't jump out at you that any tampering occurred...but look at the difference between how much the Colts balls deflated versus the Pats balls...the Pats balls dropped WAY more! So that's how they conclude that the tampering happened...except for the small detail that their calculations of the relative pressure drops between the 2 teams was done incorrectly, incompletely, and has been pretty universally debunked. So in conclusion, the actual halftime measurements don't indicate any tampering occurred, and the 'back door' comparison to the Colts balls doesn't work...so the ONLY thing this case is built on is text messages and the fact that the guy took the balls into the bathroom.

Yeah, the most those balls could have dropped was .45 psi. I did the simple math right there for you. You clearly can't argue against it, or just don't have the capacity to understand it to begin with. I don't care what any report says, I used facts and did the calculations for myself and the fact of the matter is the balls did not naturally deflate due to natural conditions.

You make a lot of stuff up or grossly misrepresent and skew things so there is no point in arguing with you anymore. You look quite pathetic honestly. You just went from saying no deflation occurred at all to this. Actually re reading your post I am not sure what direction you are going In at all as it's all over the place and half of it is gibberish and fiction that I can hardly understand

That is just plain ridiculous. 

There is no proof that balls weren't deflated. There is only some saying that the low measurement of the NE balls . you know... the ones that took the trip to the pee room , can be explained by weather and how and when the ball measurements were taken. I'll again try some simpleton stuff on you. Let's say a man is convicted of mudering his wife . The evidence was circumstantial . Girl friends , insurance policies , TEXT MESSAGES .. etc. The cause of her death was drowning while swimming with her husband. According to you , the defense could get the verdict over turned if they can prove she might have drowned on her own... 

Yeah, the most those balls could have dropped was .45 psi. I did the simple math right there for you. You clearly can't argue against it, or just don't have the capacity to understand it to begin with. I don't care what any report says, I used facts and did the calculations for myself and the fact of the matter is the balls did not naturally deflate due to natural conditions.

You make a lot of stuff up or grossly misrepresent and skew things so there is no point in arguing with you anymore. You look quite pathetic honestly. You just went from saying no deflation occurred at all to this. Actually re reading your post I am not sure what direction you are going In at all as it's all over the place and half of it is gibberish and fiction that I can hardly understand

I'll go with both in sentence #3.

There is nothing realistic about Yee's explanation. Get real

No more so than Wells assuming that every text between JJ and McNally was related to deflating footballs below the legal psi after they were checked by the refs. You asked for other explanations and there have been other explanations by JJ and McNally as outlined by Yee and the Pats context report. And really that is all that is necessary to show different inferences and meaning which is why the NFL will have a tough time should this go to court with just text messages as their main ammunition.

No more so than Wells assuming that every text between JJ and McNally was related to deflating footballs below the legal psi after they were checked by the refs. You asked for other explanations and there have been other explanations by JJ and McNally as outlined by Yee and the Pats context report. And really that is all that is necessary to show different inferences and meaning which is why the NFL will have a tough time should this go to court with just text messages as their main ammunition.

All the nonsensical arguments that you have made aside, do you really think the pats and Brady are going to be exonerated from this in any degree?

You keep talking about this "tough time" the NFL is having or is going to have. Never seems to happen. As for the remark that NE just needs to show a different inference , that's another swing and a miss. It has to be believable and when you put them all together , those explanations are laughable.

All the nonsensical arguments that you have made aside, do you really think the pats and Brady are going to be exonerated from this in any degree?

I have no idea. Roger could exonerate Brady, unlikely I think. Or he could go to court or accept a reduced suspension. Much of it is immaterial in my view. I do not believe the AFCCG balls were tampered with at all and I do believe this commish is an incompetent boob which is how I felt about him before deflategate so really nothing has changed.

I have no idea. Roger could exonerate Brady, unlikely I think. Or he could go to court or accept a reduced suspension. Much of it is immaterial in my view. I do not believe the AFCCG balls were tampered with at all and I do believe this commish is an incompetent boob which is how I felt about him before deflategate so really nothing has changed.

So why would someone take 12 footballs in with then to take a leak? Despite the fact that my calculations show that there was tampering and all

Are you referring to  inferring that the texts relating to the deflator are about a weight loss program..??  Yeah, that one is really believable.

You have made me change my opinion. Clearly, a 2 paragraph set of calculations by "some guy from the internet" carries far more weight than the opinion of a research organization whose business is to study and analyze this type of thing.