Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting LB decisions on the horizon

Archer

Looking at the depth chart and thinking about the OLBs and ILBs, the Colts have some interesting decisions to make.

ILBs

Freeman should return to form now that he's healthy and once again become the PB-quality player that noone seems to know about.  I see a long-term deal after the year.  However, D'Qwell actually made the PB last year while being absolutely atrocious in coverage.  Meanwhile, Irving seems like the perfect addition to replace D'Qwell (all the run stopping, with much fewer problems in coverage), except he's not healthy and we're not sure how he'll be at the beginning of the year. Two middling talents are next, but Muamba and Loisseau have some ability and experience in the system.  Finally, Herrera and Sylvestre are the young talent, and both could have bright futures.  Herrera will probably be so smart and prepared that you'll never even notice him if he has to step in, though Sylvestre probably has the upside to be Freeman-like (with a lot of development).  The least risky move would probably be to keep 5 - Freeman, D'Qwell, Irving, either Muamba or Loisseau, and either Herrera or Sylvestre, with the rookie who is cut hopefully passing to the PS.  But part of me wonders how safe D'Qwell is.  A player with a fatal weakness in coverage?  Maybe we make him a surprise cut and let either Muamba or Loisseau start until Irving is ready.  (Sorry, I have a weird feeling that Loisseau has a real shot this year.)  At any rate, I think D'Qwell could easily be a surprise cut as the team postures to keep players that figure more prominently in the future. 

OLBs

I could see a similar situation with Walden.  Mathis and (to a lesser extent) Cole are nearing the end, Newsome is the key future cog in place, and Werner should definitely have two more years in some capacity.  That leaves Walden, Hodges, Cam Johnson, and Adongo competing for one (maybe two) roster spots.  Even though he was by and large the team's best LB last year, Walden could very well be cut to allow for more developing talent that will return once Mathis is gone.  In fact, Walden's departure might be more likely than D'Qwell's, since the team would save more than $3.5 million against the cap by cutting him (while it would be slightly more expensive to cut D'Qwell than keep him).

I've already thought about this too much, because in the end both decisions are probably going to be made for the team.  What are the chances that nobody gets injured in these groups?  But I have a sneaking suspicion that D'Qwell and Walden may be teetering on the edge because they don't figure very far into the future...

If McNarys charges get dropped he will make the roster over Muamba or Loisseau. I dont think DQ is going anywhere this year either.

Yeah, I forgot.  Did y'all notice that McNary is no longer on the roster?  I don't know if he's still technically on some kind of exempt list, but you won't find him anywhere on the team site.  I think he's become damaged goods, and the team may have already found a way to quietly get rid of him.

Looking at the depth chart and thinking about the OLBs and ILBs, the Colts have some interesting decisions to make.

ILBs

Freeman should return to form now that he's healthy and once again become the PB-quality player that noone seems to know about.  I see a long-term deal after the year.  However, D'Qwell actually made the PB last year while being absolutely atrocious in coverage.  Meanwhile, Irving seems like the perfect addition to replace D'Qwell (all the run stopping, with much fewer problems in coverage), except he's not healthy and we're not sure how he'll be at the beginning of the year. Two middling talents are next, but Muamba and Loisseau have some ability and experience in the system.  Finally, Herrera and Sylvestre are the young talent, and both could have bright futures.  Herrera will probably be so smart and prepared that you'll never even notice him if he has to step in, though Sylvestre probably has the upside to be Freeman-like (with a lot of development).  The least risky move would probably be to keep 5 - Freeman, D'Qwell, Irving, either Muamba or Loisseau, and either Herrera or Sylvestre, with the rookie who is cut hopefully passing to the PS.  But part of me wonders how safe D'Qwell is.  A player with a fatal weakness in coverage?  Maybe we make him a surprise cut and let either Muamba or Loisseau start until Irving is ready.  (Sorry, I have a weird feeling that Loisseau has a real shot this year.)  At any rate, I think D'Qwell could easily be a surprise cut as the team postures to keep players that figure more prominently in the future. 

OLBs

I could see a similar situation with Walden.  Mathis and (to a lesser extent) Cole are nearing the end, Newsome is the key future cog in place, and Werner should definitely have two more years in some capacity.  That leaves Walden, Hodges, Cam Johnson, and Adongo competing for one (maybe two) roster spots.  Even though he was by and large the team's best LB last year, Walden could very well be cut to allow for more developing talent that will return once Mathis is gone.  In fact, Walden's departure might be more likely than D'Qwell's, since the team would save more than $3.5 million against the cap by cutting him (while it would be slightly more expensive to cut D'Qwell than keep him).

I've already thought about this too much, because in the end both decisions are probably going to be made for the team.  What are the chances that nobody gets injured in these groups?  But I have a sneaking suspicion that D'Qwell and Walden may be teetering on the edge because they don't figure very far into the future...

I think DQWell is safe for no other reason than his contract is guaranteed (or near fully guaranteed) and the cap hit would be high.     And for what?    He had a solid year.    He should be safe for another year.

And on the outside,  Walden is coming off a very good year and Werner is coming off a year in which he was sat down for the biggest game of the year,   the AFCC game.     Mathis will likely start the year on the PUP,  then it's Cole,  Walden,  Newsome and Werner.....    I would think everyone else is fighting for the 5th and last spot.

The bigger question to me is whether we keep 9 total LBers or 10 on the final 53?    Special teams will have an impact.....   as will how many LBers are kept on the PS.

Werner is in the dog house , if he doesn't bring it he will be searching for it elsewhere .

Why should Bjorn be in the dog house.  He has improved over the last 2 seasons, just not at Rush LBer.  He has played well at SLBer.  He was not the one who decided to pick himself in the 1st round. 

Why should Bjorn be in the dog house.  He has improved over the last 2 seasons, just not at Rush LBer.  He has played well at SLBer.  He was not the one who decided to pick himself in the 1st round. 

At times played well , but inconsistent , he was on the pines late , they are not happy with him.

At times played well , but inconsistent , he was on the pines late , they are not happy with him.

Bjorn played well as a SLBer.  He improved from Rookie year and then again last year.  Again, Bjorn did not make the choice, but has done his best.

I did not like that he was sat during that game.  He had earned the right to have his place in the game.

IMO, the problem comes from the fact that, not all small college DEs can convert to Rush OLB.  Fact of the game and something that needs to be factored in when drafting.

Yeah, I forgot.  Did y'all notice that McNary is no longer on the roster?  I don't know if he's still technically on some kind of exempt list, but you won't find him anywhere on the team site.  I think he's become damaged goods, and the team may have already found a way to quietly get rid of him.

He was a free agent. The team had the right to restrict his free agency, and chose not to, so he became an unrestricted free agent. When he was arrested, he was placed on the commissioner's exempt list, so until his situation gets resolved, he won't be playing for anyone. And he's not very good, so it's not like teams are anxiously waiting to see what happens.

It seems to me that Pagano likes Zach Hodges, so I want to see what happens with him.  Also I'm looking to see what Adongo will show when healthy.  Grigson did say he still has some more practice squad eligibility if need be, so it may be likely that Adongo and Hodges make the practice squad.  I'm interested to see how we will use Sylvestre as I think it will be at ILB contrary to some who have said safety.  I have a feeling he'll make the team as well in some capacity.  I think Herrera will also make the team.

Bjorn played well as a SLBer.  He improved from Rookie year and then again last year.  Again, Bjorn did not make the choice, but has done his best.

I did not like that he was sat during that game.  He had earned the right to have his place in the game.

IMO, the problem comes from the fact that, not all small college DEs can convert to Rush OLB.  Fact of the game and something that needs to be factored in when drafting.

Bjoern Werner went to FSU . . .

Sylvestre looks more like a big safety to me. hes 6 foot 222 pounds. thats way too small to play LB

That's how he's listed, but he weighed 233 at his Pro Day and still ran a 4.53 forty.  He's maxed out on his frame at 233, as we may be rounding up to put him at 6'.  But he's in the right range to be a coverage ILB IMO... 

Hell, Werner is from a large country AND a big time football powerhouse.... :scratch:  :realitycheck:

That's how he's listed, but he weighed 233 at his Pro Day and still ran a 4.53 forty.  He's maxed out on his frame at 233, as we may be rounding up to put him at 6'.  But he's in the right range to be a coverage ILB IMO... 

When you look at the Colts roster they also have Sylvestre listed as an ILB:

44 Sylvestre, Junior ILB 6-0 222 23 R Toledo

There's another guy I'm interested in seeing at ILB also.  We picked up Carlos Fields from Winston Salem State near the end of the season last year.  He's about 6' 1" 238 and runs a 4.4 Forty so he's got some coverage potential as well at ILB.  He probably won't make the team when it's all said and done, but I will get a close look at him during the preseason to see how he's progressed in the defense.

I don't think either of DQ or Walden will be cut. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Irving take his spot at some point during the season. Irving's a pretty good LB. I'm excited about Hererra too. I think we'll carry 5 ILB's too. Free, DQ, Irving, Hererra, and Muamba.

ILB's

1.Freeman

2.Jackson

3.Irving

4.Herrera

OLB's

1.Mathis

2.Cole

3.Werner

4.Walden

5.Newsome

PS

1.Galea

2.Junior Sylvestre

3.Hodges

This is what I expect too.

I think the chances of Werner and/or Walden being cut are slim.

Muamba will be the odd man out. I didn't think he had NFL speed what little I saw of him last year.

Adongo will be interesting to see what happens with him There will be some tough decisions