Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you think our chances are on drafting a running back?

AmberDerrow

Here is Colts.Com writer, Kevin Bowen's, response from this week's Mailbag. What do YOU think? 

Bowen: I think the chances are very good. Now, where to select one is the tougher question to answer in regards to a running back. Ryan Grigson likes what he sees from this running back class and several mock drafts have the Colts taking a ball carrier as high as a second round pick. Grigson did point out that of course with a deeper position group that allows for some great value picks, something the Colts have found at the skill positions before (T.Y. Hiltonicon-article-link.gif-third round, Donte Moncrief-third round and Vick Ballardicon-article-link.gif-fifth round). To get back to your question, I would be surprised if the Colts did not take a running back later this week.

I think the possibility is a good one. I hope in rounds 3-4 is where we select one. Drafting Melvin Gordon or Tevin Coleman with a 1st or 2nd pick would be a killer for me since they are luxury picks in my opinion. Duke Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, or David Cobb in later rounds would be more ideal. :lombardi::coltshelmet:

unless gurley or gordon fall to 29 which I doubt because teams like the chargers, texans, ravens, and cowboys will mostly likely take a RB in the first, we're not going RB number one

Don't think Arian Foster would take too kindly to a RB in the 1st round cause that means foster is the backup. You don't take anyone in the first and have them a backup. They should be day 1 starters

Ryan Grigson made it clear earlier this week that he really likes the running back class in 2015. However, that also means you can get great value in the latter rounds, so maybe the Colts wait a few rounds to add a ball carrier?

Like I said above, Grigson has found impactful skill guys in the latter rounds in Hilton (3rd round), Moncrief (3rd round) and Ballard (5th round).

Don't think Arian Foster would take too kindly to a RB in the 1st round cause that means foster is the backup. You don't take anyone in the first and have them a backup. They should be day 1 starters

foster is gonna be 29 

RBs I'd take by round:

1- Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon

2- Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, Jay Ajayi

3- Ameer Abdullah, Mike Davis, TJ Yeldon

4- David Johnson, Buck Allen, David Cobb, Jeremy Langford

5- Cameron Artis-Payne, Josh Robinson, Zach Zenner, John Crockett, Matt Jones, Karlos Williams

Tons of depth in this draft.

I really like Mississippi State RB Josh Robinson. Reminds me of MJD.

Projected as a 5th-6th round pick.

Same. Same school as Vick Ballard too, which is pretty crazy given the circumstances with him. Robinson is the kind of guy you need when you're playing in December and January though. Will wear a defense down.

I just hope analysts are wrong and Grigson isn't planning on drafting Tevin Coleman in the 2nd

Here is Colts.Com writer, Kevin Bowen's, response from this week's Mailbag. What do YOU think? 

Bowen: I think the chances are very good. Now, where to select one is the tougher question to answer in regards to a running back. Ryan Grigson likes what he sees from this running back class and several mock drafts have the Colts taking a ball carrier as high as a second round pick. Grigson did point out that of course with a deeper position group that allows for some great value picks, something the Colts have found at the skill positions before (T.Y. Hiltonicon-article-link.gif-third round, Donte Moncrief-third round and Vick Ballardicon-article-link.gif-fifth round). To get back to your question, I would be surprised if the Colts did not take a running back later this week.

As others are saying in this thread.....

It's a near certainty that the Colts will take a RB in this draft.

The only questions are who,  and when?

What player in what round?

p.s. --   and welcome to the website....   Hope you enjoy!     :thmup:

Ryan Grigson made it clear earlier this week that he really likes the running back class in 2015. However, that also means you can get great value in the latter rounds, so maybe the Colts wait a few rounds to add a ball carrier?

Like I said above, Grigson has found impactful skill guys in the latter rounds in Hilton (3rd round), Moncrief (3rd round) and Ballard (5th round).

If he goes RB it needs to be late, there remains much bigger needs IMO, we already have a history of drafting 70% offensive players...this year we need some trend correction.  In addition, RB's can come in and play right away, if Gore is our starter why draft a back up early right?

Same. Same school as Vick Ballard too, which is pretty crazy given the circumstances with him. Robinson is the kind of guy you need when you're playing in December and January though. Will wear a defense down.

I just hope analysts are wrong and Grigson isn't planning on drafting Tevin Coleman in the 2nd

Coleman in the second would be very disappointing to me as well. He isn't going to be any every down back in the NFL. He can't carry the ball in his right hand or at least never does. I am not drinking the kool aid there.  I don't think it will happen. Grig's was going on about the depth of the class. He knows he can get quality in the later rounds.

I would love to get Davis in the 4th.  He was not nearly as impressive last year as he was in 2013. This seems to happen to most Gamecocks. I think he could end up being one of the best backs in this draft.

He is a real 3 down back can run, block, and has soft hands out of the backfield. He reminds me a lot of Gore. He could be Gore's mini me for a year get in real shape and be our back of the future. This is a deep draft for RB's but I only see a couple of "cow bells". He is one.  

I like Robinson too. In fact I have the Colts taking him in the 6th in Mr. T's contest. The kid from Northern Iowa Johnson is very interesting as well. He could be had in the later rounds.