Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady Mad at White House...? Thoughts?

Gramz

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I really don't care one way or the other what Brady does, I will just make this comment.

I don't buy his prior commitment story, but I don't have to and it doesn't matter. I think when you are in a leadership role or position, you should lead your team and set examples for others to follow. What if everyone followed his example here and were all no shows? Luckily that didn't happen and the rest of the team viewed this as an honor worth attending.

no I am not, just are just missing the boat.

I'm sure it is a sore subject for Tommy.  I mean, he cheated, and then Ol' Bill unexpectedly threw him under the bus and he was made to look foolish on camera trying to figure out what to say.

Although I really don't care one way or the other what Brady does, I will just make this comment.

I don't buy his prior commitment story, but I don't have to and it doesn't matter. I think when you are in a leadership role or position, you should lead your team and set examples for others to follow. What if everyone followed his example here and were all no shows? Luckily that didn't happen and the rest of the team viewed this as an honor worth attending.

I agree.  But, clearly he doesn't care......

Politics and race and family aside, what kind of irks me about his absence is that the whole team was there. Even former players like Revis and Vereen showed up. And of course the entire FO as well including Kraft and Belichcick. I have never personally liked the idea of the championship teams going to the white house as the tradition has made little sense to me because really what does Washington have to do with sports? BUT this event is purely to congratulate the winning team. There is no politics here whatsoever. Even if you hate the president, how about going to support your teammates and accept congratulations? I do think Brady needed to be more specific as to why he missed. Was it a wedding, funeral, kids bday? With being so vague he opened himself up to ridiculous speculation. I believe he is smarter than this and perhaps wanted the scuttle about him having issues with the press secretary. I don't know and hope he does clarify.

The whole thing reminds me of Tim Thomas which still makes me so angry. Now granted he made it a political issue and then went crazy on FB but really, this should not be something that folks get their panties in a bunch about. Michael Jordan did not go in 1991 and neither did Bird in 1984.

You're completely wrong, and here's why:

Kraft, BB, and his teammates surely know why Tom didn't attend .

And they're the only ones who matter.

I'm sure it is a sore subject for Tommy. I mean, he cheated, and then Ol' Bill unexpectedly threw him under the bus and he was made to look foolish on camera trying to figure out what to say.

What's in YOUR water?

You're not making sense.

BB never threw Brady under the bus.

You're completely wrong, and here's why:

Kraft, BB, and his teammates surely know why Tom didn't attend .

And they're the only ones who matter.

Who said it mattered? It is April. All of it will blow over once the draft rolls around in two days. But from a public stand point, Brady flubbed this one perhaps intentionally. At this point the guy is the best QB walking the earth so he can do whatever he wants but as a huge fan of his I was disappointed in his reason and his absence. The Tim Thomas fiasco still stings and it is rather depressing as a fan to have our two MVPs from the Stanley Cup and the Super Bowl not show up while the rest of their teammates did.

Who said it mattered? It is April. All of it will blow over once the draft rolls around in two days. But from a public stand point, Brady flubbed this one perhaps intentionally. At this point the guy is the best QB walking the earth so he can do whatever he wants but as a huge fan of his I was disappointed in his reason and his absence. The Tim Thomas fiasco still stings and it is rather depressing as a fan to have our two MVPs from the Stanley Cup and the Super Bowl not show up while the rest of their teammates did.

That's odd, you're the only Patriot fan I've heard from that's disappointed.

I could care less. Free country and all that.

Brady has, at times, declined on these things so that his less-celebrated teammates could have a little more exposure/attention/whatever you want to call it. That's part of the reason why he skips Pro Bowls as well -- to give younger players their shot. 

Not saying it's all selfless here, but I honestly don't care that he didn't go to Washington, and don't find myself thinking that it reflects upon his leadership or anything. 

I am sorry GP but that reason is weak. This is not an event where players are celebrated. It is an event of congratulations from the President. If anything, it is about showing up as a team and his absence actually did the exact opposite of what you are saying because all the media did was focus on his reason for missing it instead of celebrating the team accomplishment. 

That's odd, you're the only Patriot fan I've heard from that's disappointed.

I could care less. Free country and all that.

To each his own. I know others that were disappointed. As much as Brady talks about the team and team first, etc., I felt he did the opposite here.

I am sorry GP but that reason is weak. This is not an event where players are celebrated. It is an event of congratulations from the President. If anything, it is about showing up as a team and his absence actually did the exact opposite of what you are saying because all the media did was focus on his reason for missing it instead of celebrating the team accomplishment. 

I understand, I just don't agree. Like Viri said, his teammates and coaches didn't have a problem with it, and if they don't really care, I don't really care. 

I'm sure it is a sore subject for Tommy.  I mean, he cheated, and then Ol' Bill unexpectedly threw him under the bus and he was made to look foolish on camera trying to figure out what to say.

So... not bothering to actually wait for the Wells Report? 

Kudos. Most here wouldn't exhibit that kind of honesty. 

So... not bothering to actually wait for the Wells Report? 

Kudos. Most here wouldn't exhibit that kind of honesty. 

What is up with that report? We are on like day 100 now. And how about the Jets tampering investigation? Any chance we know before the draft?

I understand, I just don't agree. Like Viri said, his teammates and coaches didn't have a problem with it, and if they don't really care, I don't really care.

I don't believe anyone stated that they "didn't care", just that they knew the real reason.

He does not go to the Pro-Bowl because he is a sore loser. He sulks. Don't kid yourself GP!

You, sir, should be grateful. Did you forget that Andrew made the Pro Bowl as an alternate in 2013 and 2014 in part because of Brady's no-shows?  haha

We'll have to wait for the tell-all book I guess. I don't know. Just sharing some of my gleaned wisdom.  :thmup:

To me, the Pro Bowl itself is a complete waste of time. You can't have a "real" all-star game in a sport like football. I can't even tell you the last time I watched any of it. It would not surprise me to find that a lot of NFL players feel the same way. I don't know a lot of hard-core fans who give a tick one way or the other about it.  

Consider also that Brady has been on a playoff team every season of his career except 2002 (when he actually showed up and played in a Pro Bowl) and 2008 (when he blew out his ACL). He's played a lot more games than most players the same age or with the same number of years in the league. And most of the time, when the Pro Bowl rolls around, he's either just coming off a game or he's about to play in a Super Bowl. 

Here are some interesting thoughts on last year's game:

http://www.nepatriotslife.com/2014/01/tom-brady-skips-pro-bowlagain.html

I don't believe anyone stated that they "didn't care", just that they knew the real reason.

Well I think it's pretty clear that whatever the reason was, they accepted it. 

Honestly this is all such a big deal over nothing. People are jumping on it because it's Brady. 

What is up with that report? We are on like day 100 now. And how about the Jets tampering investigation? Any chance we know before the draft?

They must be paying Wells per diem? I don't know, lol... 

I've read a lot of stuff. God only knows what's true at this point. If you want to see the juiciest of the rumors and conjecture there are some great links in the sticky thread on Pats Planet. Just take it all with a big grain of salt! 

Well I think it's pretty clear that whatever the reason was, they accepted it.

Honestly this is all such a big deal over nothing. People are jumping on it because it's Brady.

haha, it happens.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but the part that rubs me the wrong way is that he has come across as being dishonest.

I think it would have been better for him to just say "I am not intetested in going."

Steven A Smith is such a filthy racist. My god, he actually pulled the race card on this issue too. 

ESPN's Steven A. Smith.

"So Tom Brady couldn't attend, huh? So Tom Brady couldn't attend," Smith said on the April 24 edition of First Take. "But was he there in 2001 when George W. Bush was president? Yes. Was he there in 2003 and 2004? I'm not sure about anything, I'm just simply presenting the question because I got a problem with the fact that the franchise quarterback... the face of New England Patriots, the future Hall of Famer and all of this other stuff. Tom Brady can't do anything wrong. He passes gas as perfume, OK. That's how untouchable Tom Brady is but when George W. Bush was president in 2001, 2003, 2004, Tom Brady was there. Tom Brady was there at the White House celebrating."

Really? Seriously? 

He didn't pull the race card.

If anything,  he pulled the politics card.

Honestly,  I don't care why Brady didn't go.    Whatever his reasons were,  they're his reasons.

Personally,  if I'm ever invited,  I'm going.   I don't care who is President.   I go.

haha, it happens.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but the part that rubs me the wrong way is that he has come across as being dishonest.

I think it would have been better for him to just say "I am not intetested in going."

At the same time, if he DID have a "family commitment" (like his parents' wedding anniversary), is he obligated to tell anyone except his teammates and his coaches that he can't attend? 

I don't know what Tom Brady was doing last Thursday... the restraining order sort of took care of that. (I kid.  :thmup:

I always wonder if social media existed back in the 70s and 80s and 90s if we'd have different perceptions of well-known athletes and celebrities. Even going back to the 50s and 60s. Can you imagine what, say, Mickey Mantle might've drummed up on Twitter? LOL... 

Not to get disagreable but I think 99.9% of America would be ok with it. The only one that would get their panties in a bunch would be the White House. This ritual imo is dumb and the White House probably has better things it can be doing. Half the time the Presidents wouldn't even know who won and the names of half these guys so its not like they care. IMO this is a photo op for the White House not the players. I also don't think it much an honor....these guys won a GAME....a childs GAME. If this was something honoring our troops or some type of citizen award I would get it. There is very very little honor in Washington in any form anymore....so I have no desire to meet these men that are running things...parties aside.

I've been so happy to see all offseason Brady enjoying himself and being happy. You could see this one was very special to him and all the work and dedication he has put into his game made this a very special season for him. However he decides to enjoy his offseason he deserves to do so. Beach, rock jumping, apple store whatever....if skipping the White House is part of that good for him. He doesn't have to live his life to satisfy anyone but himself and family. Patriots don't own the guy...its his free time and good for him for choosing what was important to him (family). I truely was hoping Peyton could have had that kind of relief last year but he came up just a little short....Peyton looks like he could use a good vacation lol. Maybe this year. We really spend too much time caring about our athletes if we worry this much about what they do in their free time (legally lol).

Not to get disagreable but I think 99.9% of America would be ok with it. The only one that would get their panties in a bunch would be the White House. This ritual imo is dumb and the White House probably has better things it can be doing. Half the time the Presidents wouldn't even know who won and the names of half these guys so its not like they care. IMO this is a photo op for the White House not the players. I also don't think it much an honor....these guys won a GAME....a childs GAME. If this was something honoring our troops or some type of citizen award I would get it. There is very very little honor in Washington in any form anymore....so I have no desire to meet these men that are running things...parties aside.

I've been so happy to see all offseason Brady enjoying himself and being happy. You could see this one was very special to him and all the work and dedication he has put into his game made this a very special season for him. However he decides to enjoy his offseason he deserves to do so. Beach, rock jumping, apple store whatever....if skipping the White House is part of that good for him. He doesn't have to live his life to satisfy anyone but himself and family. Patriots don't own the guy...its his free time and good for him for choosing what was important to him (family). I truely was hoping Peyton could have had that kind of relief last year but he came up just a little short....Peyton looks like he could use a good vacation lol. Maybe this year. We really spend too much time caring about our athletes if we worry this much about what they do in their free time (legally lol).

To your last paragraph, it was reported that Brady was the first to show up at Gillette for the voluntary work outs. I wonder if getting the taste for the Lombardi again has him hungry for more. It would not surprise me if he wants to put 2014 behind so he can focus on 2015 and getting that trophy in his hands again. He had that number 5 jersey on at the Sox first game and has always talked about how the next ring is his favorite one. I don't know just hypothesizing like everyone else but he does seem to be enjoying himself this off-season.

Politics and race and family aside, what kind of irks me about his absence is that the whole team was there. Even former players like Revis and Vereen showed up.  And of course the entire FO as well including Kraft and Belichcick. I have never personally liked the idea of the championship teams going to the white house as the tradition has made little sense to me because really what does Washington have to do with sports? BUT this event is purely to congratulate the winning team. There is no politics here whatsoever. Even if you hate the president, how about going to support your teammates and accept congratulations? I do think Brady needed to be more specific as to why he missed. Was it a wedding, funeral, kids bday? With being so vague he opened himself up to ridiculous speculation. I believe he is smarter than this and perhaps wanted the scuttle about him having issues with the press secretary. I don't know and hope he does clarify.

The whole thing reminds me of Tim Thomas which still makes me so angry. Now granted he made it a political issue and then went crazy on FB but really, this should not be something that folks get their panties in a bunch about. Michael Jordan did not go in 1991 and neither did Bird in 1984.

Yeah, I was going to mention the Tim Thomas scene until you mentioned it.

Didn't Manny also get lambasted for not going after the Sox won in 07?

I like what Yehoodi said about the novelty of the whole experience wearing off. I agree with Gramz though. You go because of the rare opportunity it is no matter how many times you've been there before.

Hades, I'd go just to see if I can hitch a ride on Air Force One, have the Commander-IN-Chief tell me in his best Harrison Ford voice to "get off my plane! [1997 film line reference], see if I can learn some defensive driving techniques from the secret service, & stroll thru their dept. where the FBI foils money forgers trying to make real money impossible to duplicate. 

Tom Brady can do whatever he wants, but if I were in his shoes, I'd show up to the White House as often as I got formally invited even if I didn't care for the man or woman someday in the Oval Office. 

Not to mention I wanna see what kind of spread the White House has got menu wise man. They have an army of the best culinary chefs in the world under that roof. You know the food is going to be incredible. 

Not to get disagreable but I think 99.9% of America would be ok with it. The only one that would get their panties in a bunch would be the White House. This ritual imo is dumb and the White House probably has better things it can be doing. Half the time the Presidents wouldn't even know who won and the names of half these guys so its not like they care. IMO this is a photo op for the White House not the players. I also don't think it much an honor....these guys won a GAME....a childs GAME. If this was something honoring our troops or some type of citizen award I would get it. There is very very little honor in Washington in any form anymore....so I have no desire to meet these men that are running things...parties aside.

haha not to be disagreeable, ??????

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, this is nothing to get rattled about.

About the "honor" part, The Patriots were being honored, and it's a privilege to be invited to The White House, you may not think so, and that's okay too.

All in all, it's been a pretty good and entertaining thread today, something to pass the time waiting on the draft to start.

I like to see Presidents at relaxed events like this though given the seriousness of matters that typically demand their attention on a daily basis. They deserve to cut loose & have fun too in my estimation once in awhile. 

While it may be true that some elected officials disappoint their constituents every now & then, walking inside our nation's house is always a dignified experience to me & one I would hardly call less than honorable. JMO. 

Not a reflection on you at all dgb & yes I know opinions vary of course. 

The guy literally said NOTHING about race.  Maybe he's saying Brady is a Republican.  Wouldn't that be a scandal in Massachussets?!?!

There is Republicans in Massachusetts. They recently won big in recently elections. The stereotype that the state is nothing but liberals is strictly a myth. 

(Farthest I will go on this topic since political debate is prohibited) 

My take on this situation is, yes, he can do whatever he wants, but that doesn't exempt him from not showing. As the QB, it's about being a good role model to his team and fan-base. If it was any other position on the team, I'd say that person is entitled to stay home, but when you're the Superbowl MVP, you need to be there for your team.

At the very least, he should have pretended he was busy, but instead, he was shopping for an Apple watch? He's not even trying to hide it.

I do have to give kudos to both Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft for showing.

You, sir, should be grateful. Did you forget that Andrew made the Pro Bowl as an alternate in 2013 and 2014 in part because of Brady's no-shows?  haha

We'll have to wait for the tell-all book I guess. I don't know. Just sharing some of my gleaned wisdom.  :thmup:

To me, the Pro Bowl itself is a complete waste of time. You can't have a "real" all-star game in a sport like football. I can't even tell you the last time I watched any of it. It would not surprise me to find that a lot of NFL players feel the same way. I don't know a lot of hard-core fans who give a tick one way or the other about it.  

Consider also that Brady has been on a playoff team every season of his career except 2002 (when he actually showed up and played in a Pro Bowl) and 2008 (when he blew out his ACL). He's played a lot more games than most players the same age or with the same number of years in the league. And most of the time, when the Pro Bowl rolls around, he's either just coming off a game or he's about to play in a Super Bowl. 

Here are some interesting thoughts on last year's game:

http://www.nepatriotslife.com/2014/01/tom-brady-skips-pro-bowlagain.html

You really don't find it strange he has only played in the 2001 and 2004 Pro Bowls?

My take on this situation is, yes, he can do whatever he wants, but that doesn't exempt him from not showing. As the QB, it's about being a good role model to his team and fan-base. If it was any other position on the team, I'd say that person is entitled to stay home, but when you're the Superbowl MVP, you need to be there for your team.

At the very least, he should have pretended he was busy, but instead, he was shopping for an Apple watch? He's not even trying to hide it.

I do have to give kudos to both Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft for showing.

Yeah RMDY, I won't crucify Brady, but that's not a good look, buying a watch with your teammates chilling in DC. It conveys the message that a trivial purchase is more important than meeting the President of the United States. Again, Brady's not evil or self absorbed here just not a wise move. Yes, Tom has every right to decline the invitation I get that, but as the face of that franchise Brady should really be there. 

Even if he runs for office after his football career is over, no one in their right mind would think that being honored by a President from another party will harm Brady's chances of winning a high profile position in Washington because the NE Patriots are being commemorated for what they accomplished collectively as a team not that Tom was at an event with a man in the big chair from a party he does not affiliate himself with on a personal level. 

To each his own. I know others that were disappointed. As much as Brady talks about the team and team first, etc., I felt he did the opposite here.

The point that you continually seem to miss is that his teammates , the ones who matter, don't seem to care. Because I'm sure they know why he didn't come.