Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady Mad at White House...? Thoughts?

Gramz

My take on this situation is, yes, he can do whatever he wants, but that doesn't exempt him from not showing. As the QB, it's about being a good role model to his team and fan-base. If it was any other position on the team, I'd say that person is entitled to stay home, but when you're the Superbowl MVP, you need to be there for your team.

At the very least, he should have pretended he was busy, but instead, he was shopping for an Apple watch? He's not even trying to hide it.

I do have to give kudos to both Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft for showing.

Except his Apple watch shopping was the following day.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah RMDY, I won't crucify Brady, but that's not a good look, buying a watch with your teammates chilling in DC. It conveys the message that a trivial purchase is more important than meeting the President of the United States. Again, Brady's not evil or self absorbed here just not a wise move. Yes, Tom has every right to decline the invitation I get that, but as the face of that franchise Brady should really be there.

Even if he runs for office after his football career is over, no one in their right mind would think that being honored by a President from another party will harm Brady's chances of winning a high profile position in Washington because the NE Patriots are being commemorated for what they accomplished collectively as a team not that Tom was at an event with a man in the big chair from a party he does not affiliate himself with on a personal level.

No, there's no reason that he needed to be there. It was a photo op. That's it. He had a family commitment , and family > a White House photo op every time.

Never mind that it was a literal 15 minute visit .

There is Republicans in Massachusetts. They recently won big in recently elections. The stereotype that the state is nothing but liberals is strictly a myth. 

(Farthest I will go on this topic since political debate is prohibited) 

Mass has a new Republican Governor, Charlie Baker. 

Mass has a new Republican Governor, Charlie Baker. 

Yes, that's what I was referring to as them winning big. I just couldn't remember the guy's name since I don't pay much attention to east coast states like I do the south. Thank you for the name. 

They must be paying Wells per diem? I don't know, lol... 

I know right? Release the darn report already. This whole episode needs to be closed 1 way or another. I haven't forgotten my pledge either: If NE is found not guilty regarding De-Flate Gate, I will apologize on here to all NE fans for jumping the gun & refusing to let the dust/evidence settle &, if you are fined, pay it & the matter is over to me completely with a clean slate. 

I let evidence determine outcomes not innuendo. I don't hold grudges against winning franchises or hate any club except Dallas. LOL! 

I know right? Release the darn report already. This whole episode needs to be closed 1 way or another. I haven't forgotten my pledge either: If NE is found not guilty regarding De-Flate Gate, I will apologize on here to all NE fans for jumping the gun & refusing to let the dust/evidence settle &, if you are fined, pay it & the matter is over to me completely with a clean slate. 

I let evidence determine outcomes not innuendo. I don't hold grudges against winning franchises or hate any club except Dallas. LOL! 

You don't love Americas team ? :funny::sarcasm:

Yes, that's what I was referring to as them winning big. I just couldn't remember the guy's name since I don't pay much attention to east coast states like I do the south. Thank you for the name. 

No worries, not everyone is as well known as Indiana Governor Mike Pence. The entire nation just adores that man. lmao

Okay I am done.....no politics.....sorry mods. 

No, there's no reason that he needed to be there. It was a photo op. That's it. He had a family commitment , and family > a White House photo op every time.

Never mind that it was a literal 15 minute visit .

The duration of the visit is meaningless. As long as my wife, mother, or kids aren't ill, I'm showing up because of the location 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, a cherished moment with my teammates, & how hard is it to ride on a team bus for 1 afternoon? I think Tommy can squeeze the POTUS in myself.  

My take on this situation is, yes, he can do whatever he wants, but that doesn't exempt him from not showing. As the QB, it's about being a good role model to his team and fan-base. If it was any other position on the team, I'd say that person is entitled to stay home, but when you're the Superbowl MVP, you need to be there for your team.

At the very least, he should have pretended he was busy, but instead, he was shopping for an Apple watch? He's not even trying to hide it.

I do have to give kudos to both Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft for showing.

Why does he need to be exempted? When did this become a mandatory thing?

The duration of the visit is meaningless. As long as my wife, mother, or kids aren't ill, I'm showing up because of the location 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, a cherished moment with my teammates, & how hard is it to ride on a team bus for 1 afternoon? I think Tommy can squeeze the POTUS in myself.  

He didn't want to. To me, that's all that needs to be said.

If the queen of england offered to bestow knighthood upon you are you really gonna blow it off to by a new apple watch you can pick up anytime? Translation: Certain people you just don't say no to or dismiss Superman. 

3 other Presidential photo ops Brady was present for is 1 more brief photo session really that grueling? No, not really. Tommy can do it & barring a death or accident in the family. Brady should have been there. 

BTW to stick to the point of the thread, I doubt Brady is "mad" at Obama or the White House. Brady pretty much has it made in life with 4 SB rings, awesome houses and a super model wife worth hundreds of millions.

Yeah I am sure he is REALLY mad at Obama or anything remotely political right now deep down inside.

Except his Apple watch shopping was the following day.

Okay, if that's true VL, the circumstance of being absent is less damaging from a PR front. However, the presidency is an institution not a single individual & you arrive there with your teammates because of the tradition of global recognition at that SB honoring event if nothing else other than to expand Brady's international brand of winning & cement in people's minds that specific rituals of behavior must always be carried out to the letter.

The nature of Brady's position & what he means to that organization dictates he better show up. A death or a severe illness in the family are the only exceptions to this Presidential protocol IMO.  

haha not to be disagreeable, ??????

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, this is nothing to get rattled about.

About the "honor" part, The Patriots were being honored, and it's a privilege to be invited to The White House, you may not think so, and that's okay too.

All in all, it's been a pretty good and entertaining thread today, something to pass the time waiting on the draft to start.

very! It's very interesting how special people think Washington is...guess I don't get it. 

I like to see Presidents at relaxed events like this though given the seriousness of matters that typically demand their attention on a daily basis. They deserve to cut loose & have fun too in my estimation once in awhile. 

While it may be true that some elected officials disappoint their constituents every now & then, walking inside our nation's house is always a dignified experience to me & one I would hardly call less than honorable. JMO. 

Not a reflection on you at all dgb & yes I know opinions vary of course.

yep...differ opinions no harm in that. It's a photo op....and it's mostly for the president than the teams. Notes and lines all written by staffers etc...everything is scripted don't think it isn't. I also seem to see these guys spending plenty of time on the golf course etc so no...I prefer them doing the job they were elected to do.

can't agree enough....nothing I hate more is people telling me what I'm suppose to think and how I'm suppose to feel or what im suppose to do in my free time.....unless it's my wife lol!!

If the queen of england offered to bestow knighthood upon you are you really gonna blow it off to by a new apple watch you can pick up anytime? Translation: Certain people you just don't say no to or dismiss Superman. 

3 other Presidential photo ops Brady was present for is 1 more brief photo session really that grueling? No, not really. Tommy can do it & barring a death or accident in the family. Brady should have been there.

i don't get that...really...I don't want to get political because I would feel the same way no matter which party was in power but these people....telling you there is very very very few good men and women in the capital. Money, power, and more money and they are put there by us. They aren't special...they are servants to their constituents. Unfortunately many prostitutes to their donors and lobiests. Honor would be meeting our soldiers, police, and first responders...but I just don't feel that way about our elected officials. They serve at our bidding and should be honored to meet us. Maybe if they realized that they would do a better job helping our country. Sorry....got off topic. If anything I respect brady even more for not caving into public opinion and living his life his way. He owes the patriots nothing as it's not in his contract and it's not related to on the field performance nor does he owe the president or White House anything..he turned them down...not the first or last..he had better things to do...even if it was just spend time with his beautiful children and wife. Maybe some think it was important that he go but thank God we live in America where we have freedom to live our life and pursue happiness. I'm not going to judge those that went just like he shouldn't be judged for not going. Anyways old news and hopefully next year we can have a discussion about the Colts in the White House lol.

You can say no to whoever you want, for whatever reason you want. It's not an obligation. To say he should have been there is kind of bold. If he didn't want to go, then he didn't have to. He doesn't have to provide any excuse or reason, he doesn't need a doctor's note or an alibi, doesn't matter if ht was grueling or time consuming or even a perceived honor by others. If he wanted to stay at home and watch Adventure Time, that's up to him. 

Edit: Also, if the Queen of England offered to knight me (which is a great deal bigger than shaking the hand of the president, by the way), I might not go if I had already been knighted by the previous queen three times. That might already be enough knighting for me...

I cannot understand why a white house press secretary is issuing a statement on a football players press conference? That's inappropriate.

I can certainly understand it if Brady took exception to that.  However I see him not going as a generational thing.  "I'm not in the mood" I don't feel like it"

For me it lacks dignity and is a sad statement on how things are now.

But I also think it's ridiculous that reporters followed him around, took pictures and wrote and broadcast stories insinuating one thing or another.

And distasteful to me when fans weigh in agreeing with Tom because they like the political statement.

It all lacks dignity and respect

The point that you continually seem to miss is that his teammates , the ones who matter, don't seem to care. Because I'm sure they know why he didn't come.

What you seem to miss is I am not talking about his teammates. And we really don't know how they felt about his absence. And as I have said, it is April. The team is nowhere close to what it will look like come Sept so I don't see this being a team issue at all like it was with Tim Thomas when the visit took place during the season. I do think Brady with his absence took away from a team event to celebrate a very significant achievement. For whatever reason he did not want to state specifically why he missed it and that has resulted in his absence overshadowing the event and his teammates. For a player who I consider to be the embodiment of the word "team," I think he missed the boat on this one. That's it. No more, no less. I am not losing any sleep over it. He is still the best QB walking the planet and appears to be as focused as ever to get ring #5. I am psyched to watch him and this team get after it.

You really don't find it strange he has only played in the 2001 and 2004 Pro Bowls?

If you consider his history of playing through injuries during the regular season and playoffs, no. 

It's a lot of information to look up, and I'm not sure which injuries happened in which years, but he's had a separated shoulder (I think that was 2002), broken ribs, a bad elbow, bad ankle... I'd say conservatively that in better than half of the seasons since 2001, he's finished the year and gone right into rehab.

Like I said earlier too, no QB eligible for the Pro Bowl has been in more playoff games than Brady. In addition to the injuries, he's been in six Super Bowls during a span of 14 years. So you have to sort of eliminate those seasons too for Pro Bowl participation. Even when it was held after the Super Bowl, it wasn't uncommon for participants to skip the Pro Bowl. 

So... factoring in the years he had injuries, and the years the Patriots played deep into January or even February (a situation unique to no other QB, really), it doesn't surprise me. 

Yeah RMDY, I won't crucify Brady, but that's not a good look, buying a watch with your teammates chilling in DC. 

Check the story guys, he wasn't in NYC buying an Apple watch on Thursday. That was Friday.

Thursday he was at Gillette Stadium in the morning, according to the media. But that doesn't preclude the possibility that he had a family thing later in the day, does it? 

Being in NYC the day after the White House visit is irrelevant if you're Tom Brady. C'mon... if he and Giselle fly commercial, even first-class, I'll eat my hat. 

haha

Interesting piece on Brady's drive to win five, http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/04/29/tom-bradys-drive-to-win-super-bowl-50-should-reach-all-time-high/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Writer surmises he might have missed White House to prepare for the run at #5. Also, did not realize that SB 50 will be played near his home town ...

Interesting piece on Brady's drive to win five, http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/04/29/tom-bradys-drive-to-win-super-bowl-50-should-reach-all-time-high/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Writer surmises he might have missed White House to prepare for the run at #5. Also, did not realize that SB 50 will be played near his home town ...

you didn't realize that your god grew up a niners fan and that superbowl 50 will be played at niners stadium? also, "preparing for the run at #5" is such a lame excuse considering how long the offseason is lol just say you didn't want to go no one cares

you didn't realize that your god grew up a niners fan and that superbowl 50 will be played at niners stadium? also, "preparing for the run at #5" is such a lame excuse considering how long the offseason is lol just say you didn't want to go no one cares

lol. I knew about Brady but did not realize the venue for SB 50 was San Fran. I am still reveling in SB 49. :thmup:

In your opinion.

In mine , and many others , family always comes first.

What you seem to miss is I am not talking about his teammates. And we really don't know how they felt about his absence. And as I have said, it is April. The team is nowhere close to what it will look like come Sept so I don't see this being a team issue at all like it was with Tim Thomas when the visit took place during the season. I do think Brady with his absence took away from a team event to celebrate a very significant achievement. For whatever reason he did not want to state specifically why he missed it and that has resulted in his absence overshadowing the event and his teammates. For a player who I consider to be the embodiment of the word "team," I think he missed the boat on this one. That's it. No more, no less. I am not losing any sleep over it. He is still the best QB walking the planet and appears to be as focused as ever to get ring #5. I am psyched to watch him and this team get after it.

They celebrated in February.

End of story.