Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Colts Fans Should Want a Pass Rusher Above All Else

backshoulderfade

So it's starting to officially feel like silly season. The combine is just a few days away and we are all starting to get excited over the prospects who may be drafted and the veterans who may sign. This is an Indy team with a lot of weaknesses, holes and needs and, to be honest, I am still quite undecided on our biggest need. But allow me to play devil's advocate for a while. I feel there are a few solid arguments as to why an edge rusher is our biggest need this offseason.

1. Blitzing

It is common knowledge that this Indy defense was blitz heavy this year. In fact, Indy blitzed more than any other team in the league with 305. This was good for a blitz on 41.4% of dropbacks, 3rd in the league. According to Pro Football Focus' pass rush productivity stats, the Colts were one of the worst teams in the league at getting pressure without the blitz. In fact we were ranked 31st in the league in this regard. That means we aren't just deficient here, we are straight up terrible.

If we can get pressure to the opposite teams QB with 4 men, that means we have more men covering back which could mask some of the deficiencies we have in the middle. Simply put, we are not good enough rushing the four men we have and as such, we need an upgrade at OLB. If someone comes in improving our 4 man rush we can blitz less. If we blitz less not only can we have more men in coverage, but the blitz could become more effective.

2. Robert Mathis

I know some of you are thinking that this isn't such a need with Robert Mathis coming back next season. Well it is. By the start of next season he will be 34. Needless to say, we should expect a sharp decline in production from here on out. 19.5 sacks, 8 forced fumbles was an all-time great season but that production should not be expected on a consistent basis. Also, we can't expect him to play a super high volume of snaps with increased age.

Then he is coming off an achilles injury as well. For much of his career, Robert has been one of the most explosive pass rushers in this league being a true quick twitch player. The nature of his injury is surely cause for concern as it could potentially take a lot of spring out of him which I feel would be a real detriment to his style. He could also be missing for a few games at the start of the season.

hate this last point, but it needs to be said. While I take Robert to his word, if his stellar 2013 season was partially a result of PEDs then he has 2 choices. Stop, or try and hide it better. If he stops we could again see a decrease in production.

3. Rotation

We had a few horrible losses last season. 42-7 at Dallas. 51-34 at Pittsburgh. 42-20 vs New England. One common thread from all these games? We got dominated in time of possession. If teams get lots of long sustained drives our D is going to gas fast. Having multiple pass rushers to rotate in allows them to stay fresh and play at a higher level.

The model for this is a team like the Ravens. Famous for having such depth in the front 7, it has really served them well. There were a few players in Baltimore who had some really nice numbers in 2014. Elvis Dumervil, 17 sacks. Terrell Suggs - 12 sacks. Pernell McPee - 7.5 sacks. According to PFF, they rank 8th in PRP without the blitz.

Having another pass rusher would allow us to have some different looks too. Perhaps we could use a NASCAR front, of sorts. Be more creative when it is time to blitz. Who knows.

I'm just going to finish with a little disclaimer, as there might be an unpopular opinion or two in there. I do not, nor have I ever been in any doubt about Mathis' statement with regards to his suspension. I still believe he will come back and be a beast next season.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. However, IMO its just as important to add a good DT/DE. We don't know how Mathis will look next year. We need to be planning as if Mathis wont be the same. So we absolutely have to bring in a star pass rusher or draft a potential star in the 1st. I wouldn't mind trading up to get Vic Beasley, that'd be one possibility, but I hope Grigs goes after Aldon Smith if those trade rumors are true. I know Smith has been stupid in the past, but I think he gets it now. He's got too much talent to pass on. I mean the dude's good for 12 plus sacks every season. There also may be a few guys that get released (Tambi Hali hopefully). Anyways I agree with the OP, A pure pass rusher is a need that absolutely has to be addressed this offseason.

I agree. However, IMO its just as important to add a good DT/DE. We don't know how Mathis will look next year. We need to be planning as if Mathis wont be the same. So we absolutely have to bring in a star pass rusher or draft a potential star in the 1st. I wouldn't mind trading up to get Vic Beasley, that'd be one possibility, but I hope Grigs goes after Aldon Smith if those trade rumors are true. I know Smith has been stupid in the past, but I think he gets it now. He's got too much talent to pass on. I mean the dude's good for 12 plus sacks every season. There also may be a few guys that get released (Tambi Hali hopefully). Anyways I agree with the OP, A pure pass rusher is a need that absolutely has to be addressed this offseason.

Tamba Hali would be a really nice piece to add to our defense. Aldon Smith seems like a trouble magnet, has had a major issue every season in the league I think. Huge talent though, no doubt.

I'll stick with my opinion on Orakpo too. I know a lot of people on here are down on him and I wouldn't give him a big long term deal by any means, but I'd love to get him on a 1year "prove it" deal. I think he'll end up getting a one year deal too. If he's healthy he's a pure beast. Every year he's been healthy he's produced. He's just had some bad luck with injuries. Just in 2013 he had 10 sacks. So its my opinion if he comes here healthy, he's going to be a beast, and I'd rather take a chance on him instead of taking a huge chance a guy like Brandon Graham. I could also see a guy like Sheard coming here and having his best year and becoming a household name. I've always liked him, and I wouldn't mind signing Sheard at all.

Whatever we do this year, it has to involve stopping those shirt over the middle passes to either the TE's or RB or WR that has killed this team. Just look at the Pats, they have killed teams with 3 step and throw passes. You either need a better scheme or better players. I'm sure it's a bit of both but in not a big fan of the scheme we seem to run. Doesn't matter who is picked at rushing the passer if we don't tighten up those quick passing completions.

Whatever we do this year, it has to involve stopping those shirt over the middle passes to either the TE's or RB or WR that has killed this team. Just look at the Pats, they have killed teams with 3 step and throw passes. You either need a better scheme or better players. I'm sure it's a bit of both but in not a big fan of the scheme we seem to run. Doesn't matter who is picked at rushing the passer if we don't tighten up those quick passing completions.

Yes, it does actually. If we can get a consistent pass rush we can blitz less allowing more players to drop back into coverage.

Yeh, to me it doesn't matter where we get one.

It should though. You have to look at costs. A good veteran pass rusher is obviously going to be more expensive than a rookie. Remember we have a lot of big contracts coming up soon, you have to be careful where you spend your money. Also a rookie will be inexperienced but will give you longevity. You could have Brandon Graham for 3-4 years, or potentially Hauli Kikaha for 5+. Have to weigh the options here.

It should though. You have to look at costs. A good veteran pass rusher is obviously going to be more expensive than a rookie. Remember we have a lot of big contracts coming up soon, you have to be careful where you spend your money. Also a rookie will be inexperienced but will give you longevity. You could have Brandon Graham for 3-4 years, or potentially Hauli Kikaha for 5+. Have to weigh the options here.

Both have their pros and cons. If we get a veteran pass rusher, we takena rookie at a spot where we could have had a pass rusher. Filling needs is priority #1.

With Mathis coming back and the emergence of Newsome, pass rusher should not be as high on our list of needs as several other positions including guard, linebacker, safety, running back, and interior defensive line.

I don't think either of those players will alter a decision to draft a pass rusher should one be there they like.  

I agree that we need a pass rusher.

I don't know why we do this "X is more important" thing every season, as if we can only address one need per offseason. I think we should address all of our needs. We have a ton of cap space and a full complement of draft picks.

Like I said, I was playing devil's advocate in hopes of starting an interesting conversation.

Werner has sucked.

Can we get some lineman or a WR or even Melvin Gordon? Get luck some help

I'm still hoping Werner can turn it around and be a decent rotational player with the return of Mathis. This will be his make or break season. It took guys like Brandon Graham and Jerry Hughes four years to figure it all out.

I agree that we need a pass rusher.

I don't know why we do this "X is more important" thing every season, as if we can only address one need per offseason. I think we should address all of our needs. We have a ton of cap space and a full complement of draft picks.

I'm all for bringing in a pass rusher, but I do believe safety and building the trenches are a bit higher up on the list for me. (But that's just me) I have pass rusher and running back ranked around the same place. We have a lot of holes and this year is our greatest opportunity to fill as many of those holes as we can to hopefully put Luck and the Colts in the SB.

One thing is for sure.. I am excited for this years off-season.

I want to wait a season before going after another pass rusher.

We drafted Werner as a pass rusher in 2013.  I agree he has not been that good as a pass rusher, but I am willing to give him another season to see if he continues to progress and become the pass rusher we drafted him for.

We drafted Newsome in 2014 draft as a pass rusher.  This past season, Newsome progressed well, IMO.  Let's give another season to see how much he progresses and if he can step in for Robert.

I hope we give Robert a chance as a pass rusher, if healed completely.

I want to wait a season before going after another pass rusher.

We drafted Werner as a pass rusher in 2013.  I agree he has not been that good as a pass rusher, but I am willing to give him another season to see if he continues to progress and become the pass rusher we drafted him for.

We drafted Newsome in 2014 draft as a pass rusher.  This past season, Newsome progressed well, IMO.  Let's give another season to see how much he progresses and if he can step in for Robert.

I hope we give Robert a chance as a pass rusher, if healed completely.

I don't understand this.  The Colts need difference makers at virtually all positions except QB.  If there is one who is available at the time of any of their picks and he happens to rush the passer, they will quite correctly choose him.

We need a lot of help. Tackle, OLB (rusher), ILB (that can drop back into coverage well), Safety (to replace our aging Mike Adams), Running Back (to replace our injury prone Bradshaw & Ballard) NT (To stop the run). It's all up in arms on what's more important with what we have currently. I think Newsome will improve next season but it's always nice to draft more help. We really need a very nice running back. Looking at Gordon, Gurley, Abdullah, etc it would be nice to have especially because I think we are getting there with our O-Line (even though it self destructed against NE). Ben Hennan could be very good for us as well. I'm excited to see what Grigson and crew does with the draft but I'm anxious to see them on the field preventing our faults.

Dominate linemen make it easier for everyone to put pressure on the qb. A olb is not nessissarily the answer. A game changing NT or DT would be huge also.

And people clammoring for Luck to get more help. Skill positions are NOT going to help. We need to shore up the lines. Both sides of the ball. I don't want to repeat the Manning era with all the flash and dazzle to get whaloped in the playoffs time and time again.

I don't understand this.  The Colts need difference makers at virtually all positions except QB.  If there is one who is available at the time of any of their picks and he happens to rush the passer, they will quite correctly choose him.

What can't be understood with what I said.  Robert is coming back.  Werner progressed well in his first 2 year.  Newsome, IMO, played well for a rookie.  So lets see what we got before spending another draft pick on a pass rusher.

What can't be understood with what I said. Robert is coming back. Werner progressed well in his first 2 year. Newsome, IMO, played well for a rookie. So lets see what we got before spending another draft pick on a pass rusher.

Except that Robert is coming off an achilles tear. That can be a career ruiner for an athletic player. He is also going to be 34. Bjoern Werner has not progressed as a pass rusher. He was bad. Newsome was good for a rookie, but his sack numbers certainly benefitted from the high amount of blitzes.

2. Robert Mathis

I know some of you are thinking that this isn't such a need with Robert Mathis coming back next season. Well it is. By the start of next season he will be 34. Needless to say, we should expect a sharp decline in production from here on out. 19.5 sacks, 8 forced fumbles was an all-time great season but that production should not be expected on a consistent basis. Also, we can't expect him to play a super high volume of snaps with increased age.

Then he is coming off an achilles injury as well. For much of his career, Robert has been one of the most explosive pass rushers in this league being a true quick twitch player. The nature of his injury is surely cause for concern as it could potentially take a lot of spring out of him which I feel would be a real detriment to his style. He could also be missing for a few games at the start of the season.

hate this last point, but it needs to be said. While I take Robert to his word, if his stellar 2013 season was partially a result of PEDs then he has 2 choices. Stop, or try and hide it better. If he stops we could again see a decrease in production.

I'm just going to finish with a little disclaimer, as there might be an unpopular opinion or two in there. I do not, nor have I ever been in any doubt about Mathis' statement with regards to his suspension. I still believe he will come back and be a beast next season.

I think your comments on RM are justified.  I like Mathis, too, and have given him the benefit of the doubt.  However, it is rare for a player who relies on speed/explosiveness to turn in by far their best season at age 32-33.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because we switched to a new scheme which he excelled in, and because Mathis has been a beast with a strong work ethic throughout his career, so it could be the change of scenery was what sparked his best year yet.  Also, I hope that the fertility issue story was true given his mom's health condition and the fact his wife got pregnant around the same time.

However, RM is coming off an achilles injury which may be very serious given his age.  Not too long ago, it was very rare for athlete's to recover fully from this injury.  With modern surgery technologies these days, it is becoming more and more common to see players (e.g., Demaryius Thomas and Terrell Suggs) recover and come back to play at a high level.  However, these players were in their 20's when they came back.  Mathis is in his mid 30's.  Even if he does come back at full speed, I cannot imagine he'll have more than 2-3 years where he can sustain it.  Newsome showed very good potential as a rusher this year, though I thought his overall game was a bit inconsistent.  Bjoern was inconsistent, and Walden I thought did well in his duty (i.e., setting the edge) but doesn't have what it takes to be a very good pass rusher. 

If we want to beat Brady and the Pats, it is critical for us to be able to rush the passer without blitzing too frequently.  Brady hates getting hit (I think moreso than any starting QB in the league) -- but if you require blitz packages to pressure him, he (and the Pats) are so good at dumping the ball off for short yardage and dinking-and-dunking their way down the field.  Obviously we've got other needs (OL, DL, Safety, RB, WR, etc....) to address as well, but I do think it will be 100% critical to increase our ability to get to the QB without blitz packages for us to get over the hump to beat NE.

Except that Robert is coming off an achilles tear. That can be a career ruiner for an athletic player. He is also going to be 34. Bjoern Werner has not progressed as a pass rusher. He was bad. Newsome was good for a rookie, but his sack numbers certainly benefitted from the high amount of blitzes.

So, as you and a few other have said, we should continue to draft a pass rusher every year.  When do we stop to see what we have and give the young players a chance to show what they can do? 

I would be for it, if we would draft a true OLB/pass rusher.  That will not be the case.  We will draft another undersized DE and will try to turn him into an OLB.

I suggest we wait 1 season, then go from there.