Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Russell is a Game Manager

AndreRison

Russell Wilson is an excellent game manager. He is not an elite Quarterback. I've been saying for a long time, Seattle wins in spite of his deficiencies. That Defense is being wasted.

At one point, he was 2 out of 4 and the game was tied at 7-7. Ask him to bear the burden of that team without a couple of pieces in that secondary or Lynch, and he does not have HFA in the playoffs most of the time. Has still not won a game where his team gave up more than 25 points.

Look, I don't care if Seattle HAD won. If they had run the ball in would that have made Wilson elite? Heck no. Just like winning the Super Bowl without cheating doesn't somehow erase the asterisk that comes from cheating the rest of the playoffs.

Wilson is a good QB. But, everybody who wants to compare him to Luck doesn't know much about football. Winning as a team does not make one player the best.

I don't think anyone in there right mind would call Wilson better then Luck but with that said lets not understate the lack of talent he has to throw to and the inability of his wr;s to get open...Which is the reason for his scrambling around in the pocket the majority of the time, Wlsons a talented QB who CAN be elite with some more talent at wr around him

I have a lot of respect for Wilson. I think he is asked to hold the ball way too long and create enough time for his average receivers to get open. Those receivers get ZERO separation. Luck knows that feeling as well.

Exactly! Doug Baldwin god angry at Deion Sanders because he called them aight....then Deion explained why they were ight, none of those receivers ever get double covered.

Russell Wilson is an excellent game manager. He is not an elite Quarterback. I've been saying for a long time, Seattle wins in spite of his deficiencies. That Defense is being wasted.

I guess you didn't see the game.    If you think Russell Wilson is only an excellent game manager,  then football must be new to you.

Not elite?

Wow.

Seattle wins in spite of his deficiencies?

Holy cow.........

We must watch two different players.....

Granted,  the Seahawks have a great defense and a great running game, but I think you hugely discount Wilson's contributions.

He was making big plays out there from the late 2nd quarter on.....  

Seattle would have won if the coaching staff didn't have a massive brain cramp and over-think the last play.

Wilson was  money all game until the final throw. Each time the Pats inched ahead in the first half, he brought them back. He is a special QB and he does not have much help with his receivers. The guy who had over 100 yards (Matthews?) had not caught a pass all season. That is amazing.

Wilson was  money all game until the final throw. Each time the Pats inched ahead in the first half, he brought them back. He is a special QB and he does not have much help with his receivers. The guy who had over 100 yards (Matthews?) had not caught a pass all season. That is amazing.

Money all game?     Not even close.

I think he didn't have his first complete pass until late in the 2nd quarter.    I think NBC said it may have set a record for the latest first completion in a Super Bowl....   (or pretty close to that...)

Money all game?     Not even close.

I think he didn't have his first complete pass until late in the 2nd quarter.    I think NBC said it may have set a record for the latest first completion in a Super Bowl....   (or pretty close to that...)

Both teams were figuring each other out early. After the Pats went up 14-7, Wilson put up 17 unanswered points. I really thought he played well until the final pass.

Here's how RW compared to the ultimate game manager this year as a passer: Note both QBs rely on short passes, a solid run game, and a stout defense.

Russel Wilson: 285 of 452 for 3,475 yards 63.1% Completion, 7.69 YPA 20 TDs and 7 INTs 95.0 QBR

Alex Smith: 303 of 464 for 3,265 yards 65.3% Completion, 7.04 YPA 18 TDs and 6 INTs 93.4 QBR

Wilson is a game manager because he is not asked to do more, and his receivers are average at best. Losing Tate really hurt thier team. I think Wilson is extremely smart, makes plays due to his feet and head, and does exactly what they ask him to do. I don't think we will truly know how good he is until they upgrade their receivers, and Lynch is gone. Lynch is what makes their offense go, and Wilson has been the beneficiary of his incredible running. I like him, but the jury is out on how good a QB he is going to be, and I don't believe it is his fault. I do believe he is a good leader, and the perfect QB for their team, and it being a team based on defense. Defensive teams need a strong running game, and a QB who can extend plays.

Wilson made one bad throw and it happened to be at the worse moment he could do that. Seattle will be back in the Superbowl next year.

Russell Wilson is trash. Biggest choke in Super bowl history.

He consistently has been bailed out by Lynch and the defense. It's nice to know that the INT will hang above his head for the rest of his career.

If he is Trash for throwing a bad throw when he had the game won, then I'd hate to hear what you think about Peyton Manning.

Seattle will never sniff a Superbowl again if they pay Wilson elite QB money. I think he's pretty good, maybe his ceiling is Philip Rivers caliber. He's not better than Andrew Luck.

I'm willing to take the bet that Seattle will be in the Superbowl again next year.

Wilson is a game manager because he is not asked to do more, and his receivers are average at best. Losing Tate really hurt thier team. I think Wilson is extremely smart, makes plays due to his feet and head, and does exactly what they ask him to do. I don't think we will truly know how good he is until they upgrade their receivers, and Lynch is gone. Lynch is what makes their offense go, and Wilson has been the beneficiary of his incredible running. I like him, but the jury is out on how good a QB he is going to be, and I don't believe it is his fault. I do believe he is a good leader, and the perfect QB for their team, and it being a team based on defense. Defensive teams need a strong running game, and a QB who can extend plays.

Well one part of that will occur next year.  No way Lynch stays.  Theres nothing they can say to him to keep him.  They cant say they need him because they demonstrated to him that they dont in the biggest game of the year.  They told him exactly how they feel, that they think Russell Wilson is their man and they dont need him when it comes down to the big plays.  To bad they were wrong.  Lynch is gone for sure.  If he doesnt leave id be as amazed as i was by the play call on the 1 yard line.

I will also bet Lynch will be back with them. Seattle isn't going to let him go.

Seattle doesnt have say in if he goes or not.  Lynch has already said he wants to play for Oakland.  They have already offered him a contract and he hasnt taken it.  He was probably waiting to see how the SB goes, and since they just completely said they dont need him, i would not understand why he would want to play for them anymore.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466712/article/seahawks-offer-marshawn-lynch-huge-contract-extension

I think Russell Wilson is a champion, and one heck of a Quarterback who plays in a scheme that is based on Running the football and making high percentage throws off play action passing. That is the scheme that is best suited for his skill set. How can you adequately compare him against Luck when the schemes they play in command opposite things?  It bothers me a bit when people try to downplay Wilsonas if he's one of these back up player, Matt Shaub, Mike Vick type of guys who when the running game is shut down they can't function as a traditional drop back passer.  Russell Wilson can clearly throw the football in both situations, he just doesn't have to because he plays on a complete team and his overall skill set is best utilized in a scheme based on running.  

The play calling made sense in that it would have given Seattle 3 shots at a TD as opposed to 2 if they run it twice...

But holy cow, what a play by the rookie.. what a rollercoaster of emotions that whole game was, I can't even describe the level of shock and joy that overcame me when Butler came away with that ball.

Truly unreal, what a special year this has been!

Seattle doesnt have say in if he goes or not.  Lynch has already said he wants to play for Oakland.  They have already offered him a contract and he hasnt taken it.  He was probably waiting to see how the SB goes, and since they just completely said they dont need him, i would not understand why he would want to play for them anymore.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466712/article/seahawks-offer-marshawn-lynch-huge-contract-extension

Who in the hell would WANT to play for Oakland? I'm assuming it's because that's his hometown?

Here's how RW compared to the ultimate game manager this year as a passer: Note both QBs rely on short passes, a solid run game, and a stout defense.

Russel Wilson: 285 of 452 for 3,475 yards 63.1% Completion, 7.69 YPA 20 TDs and 7 INTs 95.0 QBR

Alex Smith: 303 of 464 for 3,265 yards 65.3% Completion, 7.04 YPA 18 TDs and 6 INTs 93.4 QBR

Wow. Stats are nearly identical.

Wilson is a little bit better than Alex Smith, IMO. I personally think Seattle wins because of Marshawn Lynch and their D. Wilson just comes in and does enough to manage the game and not turn the ball over. He's a really good QB. But I'm not ready to say he's elite by any stretch.

Why are you guys continually obsessed with having the best quarterback? I swear, some of you would rather just have the consensus best quarterback than having the best team. Here we are 15 years later, and you still get your panties in a bunch anytime someone has the audacity to give kudos to someone other than 'your' guy.

Peyton or Brady? Wilson or Luck? It must be freaking exhausting having to continually worry about whether or not you have the best quarterback.

Well one part of that will occur next year.  No way Lynch stays.  Theres nothing they can say to him to keep him.  They cant say they need him because they demonstrated to him that they dont in the biggest game of the year.  They told him exactly how they feel, that they think Russell Wilson is their man and they dont need him when it comes down to the big plays.  To bad they were wrong.  Lynch is gone for sure.  If he doesnt leave id be as amazed as i was by the play call on the 1 yard line.

I think Lynch is under contract for this year so he won't be going anywhere. After next year they may let him go since he'll most likely begin to decline but the only way he is not a Seahawk next year is if they cut him which seems highly unlikely given their interest in a contract extension.

Why are you guys continually obsessed with having the best quarterback? I swear, some of you would rather just have the consensus best quarterback than having the best team. Here we are 15 years later, and you still get your panties in a bunch anytime someone has the audacity to give kudos to someone other than 'your' guy.

Peyton or Brady? Wilson or Luck? It must be freaking exhausting having to continually worry about whether or not you have the best quarterback.

lol  enough to give you a headache eh ;)   my opinion is the younger generation is about the players and not the team. Was working in a game store a few years back and asked the kids what their favorite team was (this was baseball) - their answer- they don't follow teams- just the players.