Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

VOTE: If NFL finds Pats cheated, what should their punishment be?

mintor

Posted by me at another fan forum;

[Regarding the idea of a rematch] As I've said numerous times, this isn't about the Colts. It's about NE and what they did. It's about how they've made a relatively benign attempt at skirting the rules much worse by lying to the entire world, in Brady's case, lying very poorly. I don't want a rematch, because they'd embarrass us even worse the 3rd time around. 

What if we played a rematch, but Brady and Belichick were suspended for it?  :D

I'm totally joking about that. 

You're spot-on with this analysis.

What if we played a rematch, but Brady and Belichick were suspended for it?  :D

I'm totally joking about that. 

You're spot-on with this analysis.

I know I didn't cover the rematch aspect, but again, I don't believe we deserve that either. 

I'll say it emphatically; The only thing we deserve is the same thing all other teams deserve. A chance to come back next season bigger, stronger, smarter and more prepared for these big games against powerful opponents. 

What do the Patriots deserve? They deserve to pay for what they've done. They deserve to go into next season humbled and hobbled by their actions. Their fans may believe their lies, but it seems nobody else does. 

I know I didn't cover the rematch aspect, but again, I don't believe we deserve that either. 

I'll say it emphatically; The only thing we deserve is the same thing all other teams deserve. A chance to come back next season bigger, stronger, smarter and more prepared for these big games against powerful opponents. 

What do the Patriots deserve? They deserve to pay for what they've done. They deserve to go into next season humbled and hobbled by their actions. Their fans may believe their lies, but it seems nobody else does. 

Very concise and accurate breakdown.

Edit:

What do you think about the idea I've seen a few sports writers suggest, that the Colts should be given the Patriots' 1st round pick as compensation?

Edit:

What do you think about the idea I've seen a few sports writers suggest, that the Colts should be given the Patriots' 1st round pick as compensation?

As the sports pope Mike Francesa said on his show, "The Patriots just spotted Luck an O lineman."

Edit:

I think it will come out that the Patriots have been doing this for years so any loss of draft choices won't go to the Colts or any other team.

Remove the New England Patriots football team from Superbowl 49 for cheating. Insert the Baltimore Ravens and Indianapolis Colts to play for the AFC Championship game in two weeks for the right to play the Seattle Seahawks for Superbowl 49.

https://www.change.org/p/barack-obama-nfl-remove-the-new-england-patriots-football-team-from-superbowl-49-for-cheating-insert-the-baltimore-ravens-and-indianapolis-colts-to-play-for-the-afc-championship-game-in-two-weeks-for-the-right-to-play-the-seattle-seahawks-for-superbo

look here ,lol.  

Better plan lets just let the colts play in the superbowl luck, ty and some of are other player are already in Arizona.  haha  

Remove the New England Patriots football team from Superbowl 49 for cheating. Insert the Baltimore Ravens and Indianapolis Colts to play for the AFC Championship game in two weeks for the right to play the Seattle Seahawks for Superbowl 49.

https://www.change.org/p/barack-obama-nfl-remove-the-new-england-patriots-football-team-from-superbowl-49-for-cheating-insert-the-baltimore-ravens-and-indianapolis-colts-to-play-for-the-afc-championship-game-in-two-weeks-for-the-right-to-play-the-seattle-seahawks-for-superbo

look here ,lol.  

I checked it this morning and it is down to less than 200 votes :)

Edit:

I will be clear in saying; This has nothing to do with the Colts. This is about the Patriots and their apparently years long penchant for cheating and cutting corners. 

This is made even more-so impactful due to the way we represented ourselves. We don't deserve to benefit from their cheating. They deserve punishment for what they've done. The Colts aren't part of this, aside from the fact that it was us who brought this issue out, the only way we could hurt them. We couldn't do it on the field, but we got 'em in the end. 

If this is a lone incident I would just suspend Brady for the game opener next season. He tried to get an edge knowing it was going to rain and got caught. Man up mr uggs.

However, that chart posted by robinson is troubling.

I say someone needs suspended.  Either Brady or BB imo.  Fining them and taking away draft picks teaches them nothing.  They have billions of dollars and don't necessarily need draft picks.  In that case the good outweights the bad.  The league should go hard on them since this isn't their first offense.

Loss of ALL 2015 draft picks. Not alowed to participate in preseason FA. 1 year suspension for Brady, Bill and Kraft

Lol! Why not keep going, the Pats are forced to cut all of their best players from their roster and have to take a permanent 25% salary cap penalty

Whenever they play a game, the other team should be spotted 21 points at kickoff

The Pats have to give their 1st round for for the next 10 years to the Colts, and every time they're scheduled to play each other the Pats are forced to forfeit the game

Kraft should be forced to sell the franchise for $1 to a Colts fan through a twitter lottery

Whenever the Patriots get a penalty in a game for holding or anything, they automatically forfeit the game for cheating

Whenever the Pats fumble a ball, they by rule are no longer allowed to try and regain possession of it

The Pats forever will now only get 3 downs instead of 4, and they aren't allowed to punt the ball

Field goals are only worth 1 point now to the Pats forever

If the Pats score a touchdown they don't get to attempt an extra point for the next 50 years

Pats no longer allowed to kick an inside kick, ever.

The Pats opponent will be awarded 1 point for every incompletion Brady throws, and 2 points for every reception, forever.

The Pats are no longer allowed to sign any player for more than 1 year

Any injury a Patriot suffers, no matter how minor, must immediately be placed on injured reserve

50% of all the stats the Patriots accumulate in a game are awarded to the other team.

All passing yardage and touchdowns that Brady throws for the rest of his career are awarded to Manning and Luck

All patriot players are banned from Hall of Fame enshrinement for life

All contracts the Pats give out are 100% guaranteed to the player, no exceptions

The Patriots have to use footballs covered in oil and grease for every game, with 20 psi

Patriots players are no longer allowed to wear cleats, they must wear socks in sandals at all times

Pats offense isn't allowed to throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field or its a penalty resulting in an immediate forfiet

Pats are only allowed 3 offensive lineman, forever.

The Pats must submit their playbook for the upcoming game by Friday to the media, who will make it public for everyone to review.

The Pats playbook cannot exceed 10 plays, this includes offense, defense and special teams. Failure to comply results in immediate forfiet

The Pats are not allowed to send men in motion or audible ever again

The Pats have to play cover 2 with the pro bowl rules on defense forever

Pats are not allowed to blitz ever again

Pats defensive lineman must weigh under 200 lbs and count to 5 Mississippi before crossing the line of scrimmage forever.

Did I miss anything? Reading back through my list, it just doesn't seem harsh enough for having an underinflated ball, we need to come up with some more punishments!!! They can't be allowed to get away with this! A message must be sent!

Lol

Lol! Why not keep going, the Pats are forced to cut all of their best players from their roster and have to take a permanent 25% salary cap penalty

Whenever they play a game, the other team should be spotted 21 points at kickoff

The Pats have to give their 1st round for for the next 10 years to the Colts, and every time they're scheduled to play each other the Pats are forced to forfeit the game

Kraft should be forced to sell the franchise for $1 to a Colts fan through a twitter lottery

Whenever the Patriots get a penalty in a game for holding or anything, they automatically forfeit the game for cheating

Whenever the Pats fumble a ball, they by rule are no longer allowed to try and regain possession of it

The Pats forever will now only get 3 downs instead of 4, and they aren't allowed to punt the ball

If the Pats score a touchdown they don't get to attempt an extra point for the next 50 years

The Pats opponent will be awarded 1 point for every incompletion Brady throws, and 2 points for every reception, forever.

Any injury a Patriot suffers, no matter how minor, must immediately be placed on injured reserve

50% of all the stats the Patriots accumulate in a game are awarded to the other team.

All passing yardage and touchdowns that Brady throws for the rest of his career are awarded to Manning and Luck

All contracts the Pats give out are 100% guaranteed to the player, no exceptions

The Patriots have to use footballs covered in oil and grease for every game, with 20 psi

Patriots players are no longer allowed to wear cleats, they must wear socks in sandals at all times

Pats offense isn't allowed to throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field or its a penalty resulting in an immediate forfiet

The Pats must submit their playbook for the upcoming game by Friday to the media, who will make it public for everyone to review.

The Pats playbook cannot exceed 10 plays, this includes offense, defense and special teams. Failure to comply results in immediate forfiet

Pats defensive lineman must weigh under 200 lbs and count to 5 Mississippi before crossing the line of scrimmage forever.

Did I miss anything? Reading back through my list, it just doesn't seem harsh enough for having an underinflated ball, we need to come up with some more punishments!!! They can't be allowed to get away with this! A message must be sent!

Lol

talk about lenient, it needs to be way harsher than this

Goodell can't win. If he comes down hard, he's a tyrant. If he doesn't, he's a wuss.

I heard 1 of the ESPN radio shows yammerimg about how if he actually did order a second AFCCG, that it wouldn't be the first time that it would have happened. Apparently they replayed some championship game in 1 of the prehistory on the NFL.

JerodMayo51, on 23 Jan 2015 - 1:29 PM, said:

Lol

Well cheaters are like cockroaches. If you see one you can bet there is a 1000. If you have been caught cheating once (or twice) you can bet it has happened a 1000 times.

Now it is time for squashing.

Be as sarcastic as you like in defending your team. I don't really care. You are just making yourself look foolish.

If you want to stop cheating in the league you have to make an example of a multiple offender.

Lol

You're soft, Mayooonaisse!!!

I would add acid enemas, tongue removal with jumper cables and genital electrocution.

Lets make a list:

1. They purposely deflated footballs

2. They purposely broke the formation rules on the Solder touchdown.

3. During the Ravens game; they used the fact that there are a limited number of officials to manage the formations during the course of a quick-paced offense.

How about past years:

4. They broke the rules and video taped practices, owning to the knowledge that there is no policing of the bleachers by other teams.

5. They purposely held and grabbed the Colts WRs during the 2003 AFC championship game with the belief that the officials will not slow the game down.

6. Willie McGinest purposely faked an injury during a game to give the Pats defense a breather during a Colts drive, then came in to assist in a 4th down stop one play later.

Its pretty clear that the BelliKraft culture is to purposely look for ways to break the rules, with the analysis placed on the likelihood of getting caught, or what the punishment is. NO, that's not the way other teams do it.

The BelliKraft culture is similar to a person wanting to commit rape, or rob a bank, or steal a kid's stash of candy on Halloween, with the analysis being placed on the likelihood of getting caught, or what the punishment might be.

Since the Pats have have this culture, every win in the last 10 years should be vacated.

And since gambling is legal in Las Vegas, Kraft, Bellichick, and Brady should personally reimburse everyone who lost legal bets against the Patriots over the past ten years.

Belichick's strengths are also his weaknesses.  His great desire to win at all costs, his attention to detail, his knowledge and his locker rooms.  His teams in the dynasty days just flat out had a great defense.  I'll give them that.  I wouldn't have suspected cheating on those teams.  However, since then, his teams have struggled greatly because he hasn't been able to rebuild that defense.  He has tinkered with stockpiling draft picks, grabbing every vet/castoff he could find to see if they would work, focusing on offense to score more points to compensate for the defense, etc....all to no avail.  The Super Bowl rings eluded him.  Then you start to hear things like illegally spying/videotaping opponents, accusations from other teams that the Pats seem to know what plays they are running and when, etc.... it seems like at this point, he had either become desperate or he was just tinkering with whatever means it took to win the Super Bowl. 

Also, their locker room has always been notoriously private.  That characteristc has always been admired by everyone, teams and media alike.  I even admired that.  However, once again his strength is his weakness.  The privacy probably played into his tinkering with spying and the like and he didn't want that to get out. 

BB doesn't give you any info at press conferences.  Why? Because he's so great?  Why?  ONce again going back to privacy.  Keeping everything under wraps.  Secrets.  Heck, Marshawn Lynch gets fined every week for not talking, but BB does it all of the time. 

Not shaking hands after a loss.  Oh, that's just because he is so competitive.  Yeah, like no other coaches are competitive.  Nope, it is just another characteristic of this guy that we see that should be troubling. 

Tom Brady has obviously bought into this lifestyle.  After all, you are promised lots of wins and playoffs ever year with a possible Super Bowl.  Tom Brady was absolutely lying at the podium.  My non sports wife even said that and she was someone who called me silly for getting upset about this deflate gate. 

It is time for the Pats to pay the piper. Suspension for a year for all involved.

Suspension for a year for all involved.

I think that's what the investigation is about, how deep and ongoing has the scheme been. And, trying to find enough evidence and support to punish someone who may be covered by the CBA.

The NFL has enough evidence to punish Kraft, BB, and the Pats organization already, probably in whatever manner they want within reason, IMO.

• The NFL needs to show fans that cheating doesn't pay, no monetary settlement will punish them, taking away draft picks is a joke and suspensions after the fact just show that you can cheat and win. 

What does this teach our youth?

Take away the win and let that be a lesson for all that cheating doesn't pay!

Edited by 21isSuperman

It smacks me as inconceivable that this man, Belichick, known for ultimate control over his realm, has no idea what happened. Somebody tampered with their footballs and he doesn't seem upset about, nobody has been fired, he hasn't spoken about it in a manner that tells me he's trying to get to the bottom of it. 

I absolutely guarantee if something was going on to sabotage his team in this respect, say if somebody poked holes in their footballs to make them go flat, he'd be getting to the bottom of it. He would find out what the hell happened, or at least what he'd be saying would have fire, conviction and anger behind it. 

Sometimes it's not what people say that is alarming, it's what they don't say which causes alarm. It makes no sense, and his words didn't follow the line of logic that would would expect if he had discovery of someone nefariously tampering with their footballs. 

It's ironic that you mention that ruksak because what upsets me the most is the rationalizations that some Patriots fans [Not my well respected Foxboro friends on here] are making to trivialize this whole deflate gate controversy. I recently watched a 3 hour program taped on my DVR called "The Rich Eisen Show" on Direct TV. Rich, most famous for hosting "Total Access" on the NFL Network originally & now Game Day Final highlights on Sundays during the season focused exclusively on under inflated balls, PSi, & fan reactions to this scandal for the bulk of his show yesterday. 

Comments by call in guests included the following statements: 

--New England had a lopsided victory over INDY in the AFC Championship Game who cares it did not change the outcome of the game. 

*1st of all, I concede that the Colts got dominated fair & square & we lost to the superior team that night. The issue is that rules matter & if both teams are well versed in the rules & regulations the final outcome is irrelevant. It's like a speeding violation. The speed limit is clearly posted & if a cop pulls you over he or she doesn't give a crap whether you're going 7 MPH over or 60 MPH over the posted limit. If you're gonna complain the violation is meaningless let's just burn the entire rule book & embrace anarchy & lawlessness across the board shall we. 

--Maybe 1 of the referees altered the air pressure on the footballs. Why are so many people laying the blame squarely at the feet of Brady & Belichick? 

* Are you bleeping kidding me with this nonsense? So, the zebras have a vested interest in manipulating the outcome of an NFL Championship game? Shut the hades up you mental midget. Did you run out of potential scapegoats or are you just ticked off that this story is picking up steam as opposed to slowing down because you are having a mental breakdown. What are you saying? It's a zebra systematic gambling scandal to put a  new addition onto their house or buy a sweet new fishing boat by guaranteeing 1 team wins over another 1 please. 

* If both Brady & Belichick are regarded as brilliant mastermind control freaks, how can they plead ignorance now? Especially after Julian Edelman is reported to have said that the Ravens need to the know the rules regarding eligible vs ineligible players on the field in the AFC Divisional round & that if NE burned Baltimore on a given play too darn bad. 

*How can Brady say with with absolute certainty at a press conference about deflated balls that he's confident no foul play happened but he can't tell you how 11 of 12 balls was deflated? Give me a name not I have no idea how this happened. 

--How many other teams in the league mess with air pressure in footballs but have yet to be caught? I suspect it's a common practice among professional QBs. 

* This foolish argument infuriates me because I don't give a rat's caboose about 30 other teams right now. Focus. INDY had balls tested & passed with flying colors. NE had their balls psi tested & 11 of 12 balls didn't pass the inspection test. Don't change the darn argument & do a bait & switch deflection tactic because your team failed to pass the smell test. When you get caught red handed breaking a well established rule, own it. Do that & I respect you. Play dumb & I'm gonna nail your caboose to the wall very, very hard. 

* If you violate the integrity of the game, my sympathy for you literally evaporates overnight. 

Again, I need to see what evidence Roger Goodell & the league office lays before the NFL masses before I can reach any resounding conclusions here.

Suspend BB for the SB and 2015. Can't Suspend Brady for the SB because that directly affects the outcome and you might as well not play.

Loss of 1st round 2015, 2nd round of 2016, and 3rd round of 2017.

PATRIOTS $2,500,000 FINE

BB $750,000 FINE

Brady $500,000 FINE

2nd violation of the integrity of the game deserves these repercussions to keep other teams from attempting the same.

I'll hold my breathe.

Is anybody going to do anything about this? It's been long enough for the NFL to know exactly what happened and who was involved. My guess is it will just get swept under the rug and forgotten about, the super bowl will go on, fans will lose interest in a game where teams that can cheat the best and not get caught win and those who play by the rules don't stand a chance.

This is to great of a game to let that happen.

If you look at the Saints and "bountygate" and the punishment that the league put on Sean Payton by suspending him for a year, then I would suspect that if/when found guilty the league will do something similar along those lines. The problem that I see is that if they can't prove BB knew of this, then who takes the fall? A ball boy? Certainly won't be Tom Brady, after all, he knew nothing about the balls.  :rollseyes:

I think the pressure is on Goodell to come down hard. Especially after this year in the Scandalous NFL

The problem is, this isn't the Saints...

Highly doubt the league would harshly punish the Pats like they did us for two reasons. #1, one of the two golden boys of the NFL is there...and #2, it's the Patriots. They can cheat all they want. The league made that certain when they let them off the hook with Spygate. 

Brady is a golden boy. Even if the Pats do put the blame on him (which is exactly what it looks like they are doing, he's their fall guy) I doubt the NFL really cares. When Manning and Brady get injured, oh it's a big deal. They made the rules harsher for hitting the QB in the lower legs after Brady got hurt....however, when Carson Palmer got injured, or when Big Ben gets injured, no big deal. 

After reading through this thread, I think a lot of you are going to be very, very disappointed when (if?) the NFL ever wraps up this investigation. For starters, to hold Brady or Belichick personally responsible for any deliberate actions is going to require irrefutable evidence. 

Secondly, even if the Patriots are stripped of a pick, the Colts aren't "awarded" it because they were the opponent for that game. It doesn't work that way and, sorry, but it belies a lack of familiarity with the sport. 

The league made that certain when they let them off the hook with Spygate. 

I'd say losing a first-round pick and getting fined a combined $750K is not really "off the hook." 

If you look at the players taken just after what would have been NE's spot... how would Jordy Nelson look in a Patriots uniform? Maybe Brandon Flowers or Matt Forte? DeSean Jackson? Jamaal Charles? Granted there's a chance they would have traded back too. But I'm just saying, you can't minimize the impact of losing a first-round pick. That could turn into nothing but it could also turn into a Hall of Fame player. 

But I know you're saying this thinking of Payton's one-year suspension for Bountygate. I don't know, I think that had a lot of different elements to it. 

The NFL scandal that's really more similar to any Pats stuff (much more so than Bountygate) is the Broncos' salary cap violations of the late 1990s that allowed them to win two titles. (No one really cares about that one though, lol...) They got fined almost $1 million and had a third-round pick taken away for illegal deferred payments to Elway and Terrell Davis. So compared to that, the Patriots got hit harder for Spygate. 

After reading through this thread, I think a lot of you are going to be very, very disappointed when (if?) the NFL ever wraps up this investigation. For starters, to hold Brady or Belichick personally responsible for any deliberate actions is going to require irrefutable evidence. 

Secondly, even if the Patriots are stripped of a pick, the Colts aren't "awarded" it because they were the opponent for that game. It doesn't work that way and, sorry, but it belies a lack of familiarity with the sport. 

I'd say losing a first-round pick and getting fined a combined $750K is not really "off the hook." 

If you look at the players taken just after what would have been NE's spot... how would Jordy Nelson look in a Patriots uniform? Maybe Brandon Flowers or Matt Forte? DeSean Jackson? Jamaal Charles? Granted there's a chance they would have traded back too. But I'm just saying, you can't minimize the impact of losing a first-round pick. That could turn into nothing but it could also turn into a Hall of Fame player. 

But I know you're saying this thinking of Payton's one-year suspension for Bountygate. I don't know, I think that had a lot of different elements to it. 

The NFL scandal that's really more similar to any Pats stuff (much more so than Bountygate) is the Broncos' salary cap violations of the late 1990s that allowed them to win two titles. (No one really cares about that one though, lol...) They got fined almost $1 million and had a third-round pick taken away for illegal deferred payments to Elway and Terrell Davis. So compared to that, the Patriots got hit harder for Spygate. 

There should have been immediate suspension of all involved in Spygate and forfeiture of the Jet game in addition to the penalties imposed.

Belichek should be out of the NFL for the rest of his life and disqualified from the HOF.  

Trying to re-do games or move the SB back would be chaotic and unrealistic.  Complete the investigation and if Belichek is partially responsible then he should never coach another football game in the NFL again.