Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you change the dynamics of a ball , which is this case I guess the issues would be size and softness , it could really get out of hand ? You might come up with something you can throw with a tighter spiral an extra 10 yards ? The Brad Johnson thing refers to the slickness of a ball. Sometimes they are just put into the games without them being "rubbed up" a bit to take the slipperiness element out of the game. Just like the baseballs are always "rubbed up" before they are used. That would be my opinion of it...

Sure. What I find interesting is Rodgers who is smaller than Brady likes the ball over inflated and Brady likes it under inflated. I can see a small QB like Wilson wanted the flater ball for grip but as Rodgers says it is a preference thing so I don't get a sense that over or under inflated given any big advantages as if it did than Brady and Rodgers would want the ball air the same. Stands to reason, right?

That's the problem with this whole thing. If true, how long was it going on? Did it start after the Chiefs slaughtered them, the first Colts game, the Ravens game ? This kind of thing, if true, undermines the whole integrity of the game.

Could be two games , could be five years. No way of knowing unless someone in the Pat's organization sells them out. BTW... how can it not be true ? 

Sure. What I find interesting is Rodgers who is smaller than Brady likes the ball over inflated and Brady likes it under inflated. I can see a small QB like Wilson wanted the flater ball for grip but as Rodgers says it is a preference thing so I don't get a sense that over or under inflated given any big advantages as if it did than Brady and Rodgers would want the ball air the same. Stands to reason, right?

if you listen to the rodgers interview, and every other qb under inflation is a big advantage to not only the qb but all skill players

I agree that altering equipment can be a big advantage. I believe in baseball if a pitcher is found doctoring a ball he is thrown out.

Now this is the part I don't get with the NFL and the footballs. The teams are allowed to bring their own balls and the QBs are allowed to do whatever they want to do them - scuff them up, rub them, etc. I am assuming they are allowed to do this because the ball is for the offense only vs baseball where the throwing of the ball is to get the other team out. So my question here is why have an air range at all? Why can't Brady have the balls as flat as he wants and why can't Rodgers have then as fat as he wants? And again, why is the penalty for breaking the range limit a measly $25,000? And IF the Colts did say something to the league back in Nov about the Pats deflated balls then why weren't the Pats balls inspected in every game after that? There is much here that is honestly head scratching.

nerf_vortex_mega_howler-orange_giant_7.j

Forget about Rodgers and what he said. You're being ridiculous. You cheated, legacy tarnished, titles tainted, records asterisk'd, get over it.

if you listen to the rodgers interview, and every other qb under inflation is a big advantage to not only the qb but all skill players

Then why does Rodgers like his balls over flated and is mad at refs for letting the air out on him? I would think he would want it right at the lowest point of the range for the advantage.

I just listened to Rodgers and he says his grip pressure makes him prefer a fully inflated ball to a "flat" football. I would have thought it has mostly to do with hand size but I guess other factors in the equation. BTW , Wilson has huge hands for a guy that height and that is one reason he so good for a guy 5'11. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47036/311/exploring-qb-hand-size

According to that, Aaron Rodgers has smaller hands than Russell Wilson. Hand size doesn't correlate to height.

Also, the NFL allows a range for ball inflation, which allows for some preference. If the Pats had been on the low end of the range, or slightly outside of tolerance, this wouldn't be an issue. They were well outside of the range.

Right it is a preference thing. But if there was an inherent advantage of throwing the ball further or better with a deflated ball then I think he would go to the lower range. Why wouldn't every QB?

They only have a 1psi variance that is allowed. Well most teams only have a 1 psi variance.

Exactly right. The New England Patriots will be playing for the Championship*

*denotes 7th Super Bowl appearance in 19 years.

Not too bad, eh?

This is a good sign for the Pats in my opinion.  When they cheat they win the Super Bowl.  So at least you have that. 

The problem is New England's 3 previous championships came by way of Spygate.  Now this one could come by Deflate gate.   Even if they win it all this year the Pats still can't win for cheating.  Fans will always associate the franchise with cheating to get an edge regardless of how good or talented many of those teams actually were.  I just don't get it.  To be so good and still resort to cheating.  Your team didn't even need to cheat to beat the Colts.  Pats clearly were the better team.  So why even do it?  It's just stupid. Now even if they win next week, that franchise still won't own one Super Bowl Lombardi without the stigma of cheating attached.  Brady & Belicheck's legacy is forever tarnished and there is nothing that can be done next week to change that.  

if hes not suspended from the SB and its pushed to next year and he gets to win and gets crowned and a parade then the entire country sees it as "wow you can get away with cheating"

You do realize that the Seahawks have far and away had the most Adderall and steroids suspensions under Pete

You do realize that the Seahawks have far and away had the most Adderall and steroids suspensions under Pete

You do realize I didn't say I liked the Seahawks, I think both coaches are creeps and players on both teams are scum but thanks for trying to justify it again.

No it doesnt. Because there are two parts of these issues.

1. The action itself, which I havent defended once.

2. The advantage gained.

I myself choose to believe that it gave the team a huge advantage. I listen to what other people in the game say about it, former players/coaches etc....and I form an opinion. Other may disagree and that's fine...that's why it's called an opinion. In none of my posts have I said something along the lines of 'hahah look at all our Championships I dont care how we got them we are the best regardless sucks to be you!!!' All I've said is that the Championships will remain in the record books, the banners are not coming down, and I as a lifelong fan won't let anything ruin the way I felt watching the team win those championships.

I don't think that's an unfair perspective, is it?

it's only an inconsistent one. On the one hand, you acknowledge the "huge" advantage - your words - on the other, you take shelter in the comfort you don't gloat that you "dont care how we got them we are the best regardless sucks to be you!!!" Explain how you can acknowledge cheating for advantage and not gloat about it by supporting the benefit received from cheating. To me, you don't care how you win as long as you can win and play dumb afterwards.

Jay Glazer is reporting that the Ravens tipped off the Colts now

The @Ravens tipped off the @colts. @JayGlazer with more about #DeflateGate https://t.co/WtiD1eXQD9

— America's Pregame (@AmericasPregame)

January 21, 2015
@https://twitter.com/AmericasPregame/status/558038864493690880

That is interesting that Glazer said that most of the coaches and owners that he has talked to are sick of the Patriots doing things like this and want the book thrown at them.

As interesting as all the discussion about what the impact on the balls and the game is, the most simple analysis is that it was a rule.

I don't care if that rule is all teams are required to wear pink polka dotted underwear (I'd love to see that, by the way, LOL!)  You agree to a standard, you commit to the rules and you follow them.  If you don't like them there is a process to get them changed.

When you intentionally choose to go around a rule for a perceived benefit it's called "Cheating" and it should be slapped down every time it happens and slapped down hard.  Because this is a protecting the integrity of the sport area, it should be like drug usage, the penalties should grow stiffer with repeated violations ending in banning for life.  

it's only an inconsistent one. On the one hand, you acknowledge the "huge" advantage - your words - on the other, you take shelter in the comfort you don't gloat that you "dont care how we got them we are the best regardless sucks to be you!!!" Explain how you can acknowledge cheating for advantage and not gloat about it by supporting the benefit received from cheating. To me, you don't care how you win as long as you can win and play dumb afterwards.

Yup...total typo!!!! No wonder, I guess that explains some of the responses ;)

I meant to write that I don't believe it gave the team a huge advantage...sorry for the confusion.

amfootball, on 21 Jan 2015 - 6:23 PM, said:snapback.png

Hello my friend,

Question for you - if this offense is so egregious why is the fine only $25,000 in the game op manual? Seems like it should be more. BTW, the ball pressure is only included in this manual and not the rule book which I also find interesting.

The fine is NOT LIMITED to $25,000.

Not only that, she is dead wrong about the rulebook... she needs to go here-

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

Click on the down arrow next to Rules,  then click on Ball.  that leads to here, where the Rule lives in all of it's black and white Glory-

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/5_2013_Ball.pdf

and looks like this-

NFL_Ball_zpsbltv3hw4.png

Sheesh. Have to do their homework for them, as well as crush their strawmen...  :-(

I think I just saw a tumbleweed blow through the Colts side of the forum. Everyone is here. I can see next year everyone wearing deflated football hats in Indy next year for the NE game. When you think of it, a Patriot hat looks a bit like a deflated football.

Barstool Sports NY just came out with a shirt that says "Balls don't lie" with a pic of a deflated ball and "You win because you cheat" underneath it......but it is based out of Boston so they will profit on their own hypocrisy.

This snippet from ProfootballTalk:

Meanwhile, former NFL official Gerry Austin said on ESPN (via Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post) that all 12 of the Colts’ footballs were properly inflated when checked at halftime and that the one out of 12 New England balls that was not two pounds under minimum was still underinflated.

So actually all 12 of the Patriots balls were under-inflated.  No need to fire the Ballboy he did his job :).

Whatever helps you pats fans sleep at night

Thank you...we've been sleeping fine.

I'd be more concerned about some of you guys! Heck, someone even described their reading of this thread as one of the best days of their lives!!!

That's a little intense, no? I'd be more worried about how people like THAT have been sleeping at night!

Now they're saying the league was on to the Patriots and they were gonna inspect the balls at half time, regardless.

Supposedly the Colts notified the league in November. Obviously nothing was done. Swept under the rug and nobody heard a thing. Then the Colts notice it again in the AFCCG. They alert the league. But instead of letting the league sweep it under the rug again, they leak it to Kravitz. Now the league has no choice but to investigate under the scrutiny of the media.