Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning played past month with a torn quad

SilentHill

Manning's still got another year left in him. Keep in mind he had 39 touchdowns this year and had another stellar season. 

He needs to rest up big time, go see Cutcliffe for his tune up and come back next year. However, the Broncos cannot rely on him as much and they need to limit the amount of attempts he has, especially in the earlier part of the season (against weaker teams especially).

The injuries are starting to mount now, but I hope he thinks this one through and comes back. 

We shouldn't be hearing a decision for awhile. Of all people, he's not the one to come and make a rash decision. 

what if he leaves the broncos and comes back to the colts to back up andrew until he retires, and then becomes the OC for the colts

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasselback did, Its hard to say what he will do but my preference would be he comes here (indy)and teaches Luck some of the greatness he has exuded his entire career.With him mentoring Andrew,   Andrew would be a bigger force to deal with then Peyton was in his prime,just my thoughts and wishes  

Hasselback did, Its hard to say what he will do but my preference would be hsele comes here (indy)and teaches Luck some of the greatness he has exuded his entire career.With him mentoring Andrew, Andrew would be a bigger force to deal with then Peyton was in his prime,just my thoughts and wishes

Hasselback isn't a first ballot hall of famer

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 

Specifically: Peyton Manning has a torn rectus femoris, which runs down center of thigh. Bruising was so severe it spread to back of his leg

On one hand, I felt it was a tad selfish on Peyton's part to hide it but then, it also speaks to the confidence they have in Osweiler to let him take the reins for a few games late in the season. But if it was primarily handing the ball over to CJ during those last few games, Oz could have done it just as well, IMO. 

Coaches and doctors botched it, while keeping Peyton injured and playing, IMO.

That had to hurt, especially his right leg which he would use to push off while throwing. That is probably why his deep throws looked bad.

If 18 knew he couldn't throw a deep ball, then why was Brock not inserted sooner? Osweiler is no Manning yes, but if your starting QB's accuracy is awful due to injury, does it really matter? If Peyton's gift is anticipating throws & getting the ball into tight windows & Elway & Fox knew that 18's passes were off why continue to let him play? How does that philosophy lead to winning games down the stretch exactly? 

I remember hearing about Manning's thigh injury during his flu game, but the extent of his leg injury is news to me. How come no other TV broadcasters mentioned the severity of the injury during Broncos games as the season progressed for Denver? 

I watch the Broncos all the time on Direct TV & trust me the extent of this injury was not publicly disclosed. The Broncos front office needs to be heavily fined for this act of omission. 

If Manning knew he didn't provide his team with the best chance to win, he should have willingly sat down on the bench. I don't care who he is or how much his salary is. If you can't throw a ball that gets to it's intended TE or WR,  you are useless to my chances of winning games plain & simple. 

This revelation actually makes me sorry for John Fox now. How can Elway fire him knowing full well that Manning was impaired for a good portion of their critical season run? 

Would any HC in Denver have won under similar circumstances? Hades no. And also, no one forced Manning to play with this injury so don't use it as an excuse to give him a pass Sunday night either. 

If it was really that horrific/painful & Manning explained why he could no longer play this year I would forgive him, but not hiding the injury & still playing. No, Peyton can't get a pass for not thinking of his team first. No, I'm not that darn generous. Sorry. 

I remember hearing about Manning's thigh injury during his flu game, but the extent of his leg injury is news to me. How come no other TV broadcasters mentioned the severity of the injury during Broncos games as the season progressed for Denver?

I watch the Broncos all the time on Direct TV & trust me the extent of this injury was not publicly disclosed. The Broncos front office needs to be heavily fined for this act of omission.

If Manning knew he didn't provide his team with the best chance to win, he should have willingly sat down on the bench. I don't care who he is or how much his salary is. If you can't throw a ball that gets to it's intended TE or WR you are useless to my chances of winning games plain & simple.

Probably because peyton was better than Brock even with the injury. Just a hunch.

Apparently the coaches didn't think so. Manning was bad for his standards, but he still completed 58% of his passes

It's hard to critique accuracy among 2 field generals though when the veteran QB gets the most reps even in practice. Peyton has earned that right yes, but it's not like the backup even gets a third of the reps though. 

But, even I will admit that Brock is no QB savior by any means. So, Fox probably had no choice other than roll the dice with a hobbled Manning. It was probably his only real option. 

It's hard to critique accuracy among 2 field generals though when the veteran QB gets the most reps even in practice. Peyton has earned that right yes, but it's not like the backup even gets a third of the reps though.

But, even I will admit that Brock is no QB savior by any means. So, Fox probably had no choice other than roll the dice with a hobbled Manning. It was probably his only real option.

I dont know I've never been to a practice outside of training camp.

But i would imagine most backups don't get many reps before a playoff game

"Although Manning is pure class and certain Hall of Fame material, it had to be obvious to football eyes as keen as Elway's that long before suffering a thigh strain late in the season, Manning lost the faith in his arm to thread passes outside the numbers and had lost the taste for standing tall as the pocket collapsed. Please note: If Manning was seriously hurt, he would not have returned to the Broncos' huddle with Denver leading Oakland 33-14 midway through the fourth quarter of the final regular-season game."

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_27308220/kiszla-broncos-gm-john-elway-needs-change-blueprint?source=infinite

If 18 knew he couldn't throw a deep ball, then why was Brock not inserted sooner? Osweiler is no Manning yes, but if your starting QB's accuracy is awful due to injury, does it really matter? If Peyton's gift is anticipating throws & getting the ball into tight windows & Elway & Fox knew that 18's passes were off why continue to let him play? How does that philosophy lead to winning games down the stretch exactly?

The only conclusion I can make, assuming the report is true, is that the Bronco's coaching staff felt that a injured Peyton was better than a healthy Brock.

"Although Manning is pure class and certain Hall of Fame material, it had to be obvious to football eyes as keen as Elway's that long before suffering a thigh strain late in the season, Manning lost the faith in his arm to thread passes outside the numbers and had lost the taste for standing tall as the pocket collapsed. Please note: If Manning was seriously hurt, he would not have returned to the Broncos' huddle with Denver leading Oakland 33-14 midway through the fourth quarter of the final regular-season game."

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_27308220/kiszla-broncos-gm-john-elway-needs-change-blueprint?source=infinite

"...Or does Elway instead try to coax old teammate and longtime confidant Gary Kubiak back in the red-hot glare of head coaching?" Oh god no, what is this the aging head coach reboot tour? Big mistake if Elway goes in that direction. 

A good read though. Thanks AMF. 

The only conclusion I can make, assuming the report is true, is that the Bronco's coaching staff felt that a injured Peyton was better than a healthy Brock.

Yeah, I agree. I've seen Brock throw in the Preseason & during Manning's flu game briefly. Brock is very inconsistent with his throws. A few passes look respectable from him & then he throws a who in hades were you aiming for kid up for grabs tosses to anybody on the field of play? 

Yeah, I agree. I've seen Brock throw in the Preseason & during Manning's flu game briefly. Brock is very inconsistent with his throws. A few passes look respectable from him & then he throws a who in hades were you aiming for kid up for grabs tosses to anybody on the field of play? 

"...Or does Elway instead try to coax old teammate and longtime confidant Gary Kubiak back in the red-hot glare of head coaching?" Oh god no, what is this the aging head coach reboot tour? Big mistake if Elway goes in that direction. 

A good read though. Thanks AMF. 

Am I mistaken ? Didn't Kubiak have serious health issues to deal with ?

Yes, he played the past month with a torn quad.    

And Yes, he was on the injury list,  listed as a thigh injury.  

Should he have played...??  This seems to be a big debate here. 

Fact is,  athletes compete and  play injured all the time.   Does Kerri Strug  ring any bells out there...???

I've moved on - not a Manning fan, a Colts fan.  Manning does not play for the Colts, and I'm not much for pining over 2006.

sounds  like  a troll . manning built  children's hospital for kids and built new colts stadium  are colts would left indy. 

So, everything 100% of all comments by everyone after the playoff game are null and void. So he is not old and washed up and did NOT deserved to be booed by the horseheads in mile "HIGH". On the flip side of this saga is the cover up for lack of a better term. Tune in tomorrow at the same Bronco time and the same Bronco channel for further adventures of "Elway Dilemma Show".

So, everything 100% of all comments by everyone after the playoff game are null and void. So he is not old and washed up and did NOT deserved to be booed by the horseheads in mile "HIGH". On the flip side of this saga is the cover up for lack of a better term. Tune in tomorrow at the same Bronco time and the same Bronco channel for further adventures of "Elway Dilemma Show".

.....There';s truth here..we'll try it again next year...

..after Sunday...2 more teams will say the same thing....There's drama in every NFL town

Keep in mind a lot of those TD's and yards were off screens and short passes for large Y.A.C. Also bear in mind Peyton had good protection while Rodgers, quite simply, does not. Peyton also had a better running back with Moreno and, imo, a better receiving group. Thomas/Thomas/Decker and Welker (when not concussed.) Welker really dropped hard this year, though.

Manning had a full on noodle arm last year. Rodgers can sling it wherever he wants with great accuracy. Peyton once could, too, but not anymore.

Stats only tell so much...you have to look at what each QB has to work with. Who they play, what they contribute....not just a stat sheet. That #1 offense got obliterated by Seattle along with the rest of the team and "coaching staff."

Yes they were...but arm strength alone doesn't make a great qb. Peyton doesn't have that....really never did. He has a throwing style which is more over the top to keep passes from being batted down and to deliver an accurate ball. How many guys come into the league with a rocket arm and never make it past their first contract....hundreds maybe thousands by now. Having a rocket arm or being mobile doesn't make you the best qb in the league...its what you do with it. This year by far Rodgers was the best qb in the league....probably would have been last year too if he wouldn't have got hurt....but he did...just like Peyton did this year. Peyton healthy is still a great qb. I seem to remember a Packer team in week 1 that got obliterated by Seattle as well with a defense that wasn't even as good as last years SB team.....so they make every qb look bad. All in all we know Rodgers is the best qb in the league but don't let Mannings noodle arm fool you into thinking he was a great qb this year. Up until his injury he was still playing at a high quality....not 13' quality but certainly better than most qbs. While Rodgers is likely the man for the foreseeble future I think if Peyton is ok with who Denver brings in and he heals fine...he will finish out his contract next year...and likely still put up 40td and a 100 qb rating. Will it be enough to win it all....hard to say...not likely unless the team is healthy and playing well down the stretch...they weren't this year and that was clear. SBs are hard to win....best teams don't often win them either...sometimes its the hot team. Our 06' team wasn't the best that year but we won it. Our 05' team probably was and we lost..just like 07' and NE. I'm pulling for our Colts to put together another cinderella season....hope the clock doesn't run out.

All saying just because two qbs get it done differently doesn't make one lesser than the other. I think last years Peyton was pretty spectacular even though they fell short in the big game....and if Aaron falls short next weekend I will say the same about his season too.

These injuries get masked all the time. We've heard of every team not listing 100% truth on these injuries. Pats, Colts, many other teams. Aaron Rodgers played injured. He was no where near the qb he has been all season but he was better than the alternative this last week. Peyton gave the Broncos the best shot to win. I don't know why they didn't sit him down earlier in the season but clearly they were trying to play for the bye etc to give him rest. In the end it probably would have served them better to sit him the Cincy and Oakland games and he would have had 3 weeks of rest...but hindsight is 20/20. Was Peyton good enoug to beat us even hurt....possibly...if the team would have rallied around him a little more...clearly he couldn't carry his team. I will say though last week or the following it was inevitable for them to lose. No way an unhealthy Peyton goes into foxboro and wins with 1 leg. I think they started to run the ball to take the pressure off him but they should have trusted it more this last week. Peyton missed some passes he normally makes....even passes he has made hurt the last couple weeks. He let them down but I think this team was doomed to begin with when you have your qb hurt going into the playoffs. If you sit him and play Brock...you get what Arizona had...and that wouldn't have left them any better. Their defense had to pitch a shut out and their OL needed to block better. Neither happened and the predictable came true. We all knew something was wrong...now we have the answer. Peytons neck or arm isn't the problem....he was throwing off one leg essentially and not even his plant leg....makes a lot of sense. Sucks that is how the season ends for Peyton but thats life. He got a shot last year....its the NFL...meaning not for long....well he has had a long career full of shots...sadly he may have missed his last one.

what if he leaves the broncos and comes back to the colts to back up andrew until he retires, and then becomes the OC for the colts

Maybe ,we dont know how hurt he really is ,I see him mentoring if he cant play so why not?

Never going to happen.  If Manning comes back to the Colts it will be just long enough to retire a Colt.  I doubt if coaching is in his immediate plans if he retires; and have you ever heard Manning referred to as a great mentor; while I don't think he intentionally alienates potential mentorees, I do not think it is something he aspires to  ... according to every rumor I have seen he is much more interested in being an owner, and is much more likely to make a move to acquire partial ownership of the Titans than to become a backup/"mentor" or a coach IMO.

A healthy Manning still produce, put up some numbers, and gather some wins.  However, he is on a pitch count. He should not get all the reps in Training camp, and he needs to come out in large leads or deficits.  If he gets more than a paper cut, he need s to recover before taking snaps.  Every throw he makes is one throw closer to retirement.  He needs to pace himself and make throws when they actually create some good. Relinquish throws when it is nothing more than 'busy work'.

Hasselback did, Its hard to say what he will do but my preference would be he comes here (indy)and teaches Luck some of the greatness he has exuded his entire career.With him mentoring Andrew,   Andrew would be a bigger force to deal with then Peyton was in his prime,just my thoughts and wishes

He's GONE and NOT COMING back!!!

You have to deal with it,lol.

It's ok caus we have a Elite, Franchise qb for the next dozen years.

A healthy Manning still produce, put up some numbers, and gather some wins.  However, he is on a pitch count. He should not get all the reps in Training camp, and he needs to come out in large leads or deficits.  If he gets more than a paper cut, he need s to recover before taking snaps.  Every throw he makes is one throw closer to retirement.  He needs to pace himself and make throws when they actually create some good. Relinquish throws when it is nothing more than 'busy work'.

If they can play that gameplan they started using toward the end of the year, with Manning throwing the ball less and them running more, then he should be fine. Weeks 9-11, he averaged about 52 attempts/game. The next four weeks, he averaged 27 attempts/game, and they ran for 165 yards/game. They won all four of those games.

So if they can keep him under 30 attempts every week, and sustain production on the ground, it would change things.

If they can play that gameplan they started using toward the end of the year, with Manning throwing the ball less and them running more, then he should be fine. Weeks 9-11, he averaged about 52 attempts/game. The next four weeks, he averaged 27 attempts/game, and they ran for 165 yards/game. They won all four of those games.

So if they can keep him under 30 attempts every week, and sustain production on the ground, it would change things.

I wonder if this scenario is the one that has Manning contemplating retirement. I think he realizes if he does come back he will have to be on a pitch count and morph into a run heavy offense. I wonder if that thought is too much for him given he has been one of the most prolific passers in the game.

I wonder if this scenario is the one that has Manning contemplating retirement. I think he realizes if he does come back he will have to be on a pitch count and morph into a run heavy offense. I wonder if that thought is too much for him given he has been one of the most prolific passers in the game.

It's not run heavy. It's balanced. And it obviously wouldn't be strict, it would just be more of an emphasis on being able to run the ball. 

I also don't think Manning is so ego-centric that he wouldn't want to play if he can't throw the ball 40+ times a game. Some of the most critical games of his career, he yielded to the run, because it was working. 

It's not run heavy. It's balanced. And it obviously wouldn't be strict, it would just be more of an emphasis on being able to run the ball. 

I also don't think Manning is so ego-centric that he wouldn't want to play if he can't throw the ball 40+ times a game. Some of the most critical games of his career, he yielded to the run, because it was working. 

I don't think it is ego thing for Manning as much as the realization that he can't carry the load anymore. I don't care what anyone says, when you are him and you have been the best for so long that reality has to hit you like a ton of bricks. On top of seeing your coaches go ...

I don't think it is ego thing for Manning as much as the realization that he can't carry the load anymore. I don't care what anyone says, when you are him and you have been the best for so long that reality has to hit you like a ton of bricks. On top of seeing your coaches go ...

I think we're going a little beyond here, though. The Broncos won 12 games this year, and were the #2 seed. He got hurt in Week 15. I already posted his stats for the season in this thread. It's not like anyone is telling him that he can't handle the load anymore. 

What I'm saying is that the Broncos can reduce his workload in an effort to keep him fresh for the end of the year. Get their 12-13 wins without him throwing 40 times a game for the first two and a half months of the season.

The guy came back from what many thought would be a career-ending injury, and had his best statistical three year stretch, with an MVP and a trip to the Super Bowl. It's not about what he can and can't do, IMO. It's about what the team needs to do in order to have a better chance in the playoffs. Specific to the running game, it's like Elway conceding ground to Terrell Davis late in his career. TD won an MVP in a year where Elway missed two games and only averaged 27 attempts/game. 

I think we're going a little beyond here, though. The Broncos won 12 games this year, and were the #2 seed. He got hurt in Week 15. I already posted his stats for the season in this thread. It's not like anyone is telling him that he can't handle the load anymore. 

What I'm saying is that the Broncos can reduce his workload in an effort to keep him fresh for the end of the year. Get their 12-13 wins without him throwing 40 times a game for the first two and a half months of the season.

The guy came back from what many thought would be a career-ending injury, and had his best statistical three year stretch, with an MVP and a trip to the Super Bowl. It's not about what he can and can't do, IMO. It's about what the team needs to do in order to have a better chance in the playoffs. Specific to the running game, it's like Elway conceding ground to Terrell Davis late in his career. TD won an MVP in a year where Elway missed two games and only averaged 27 attempts/game. 

His stats dropped drastically from week 8 on. That may be what he is able to produce from now for the full 16 games. If you take his stats from week 8 on and draw them out over 16 games you have a very average QB. I don't know but I would think that thought would weigh heavy on him.

Elway was still healthy though at the end of his career though and younger than Peyton who will be 39 and a half come Sept. I agree with your game plan for the offense but I do wonder if that is what Manning realistically wants to sign up for and if it is then Elway needs to find a great RB. Anderson is not going to cut it.