Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to try and fix this team (opinions may differ)

Team Needs:

Offense: (RG),Backup RT, (Center), Slot/2 Receiver, (RB), Backup Quarterback.

Defense: Defensive End, Strong Safety, Free Safety, Slot/2 Corner, MLB, (LOLB), (NT). 

With logical cuts this is possible

Resgin: Butler, RFA Freeman and Adams

Sign: Jabaal Shread OLB so we have someone who rush the QB and set the edge

Walter Thurmond CB as depth who's real good coming off an injuiry for cheap.

James Carpenter LG Who fits our * poor line and would come and shift mewhort on the line

Eddie Royal will fit nice into our slot with wayne and nicks leave 

Dan Williams NT/DT who would replace a dead average Chapman

Draft:

We trade our first and third for Pats 1st and 2nd

1: Eric Kendricks ILB

Trade our 2nd and 5th and move up a dozen spots and take Lorenzon Mauldin OLB

With the other second rounder we take Karl Joseph FS

We trade our 4th and one of sixth to move to Dolphins 3rd and Take TJ Yeldon RB

We receive a fifth comp pick for Bethea and take Deshazor Everrett CB

In the sixth we take Tyrus Thompson OT

With our final pick we take Justin Cox SS

Clearly it'll cost but if we cut who I believe will be cut and stuff we could leave this with 15m rollover

Team Needs:

New Coaching Staff

@Coltsfanwilson: Chuck Pagano citing continuity as big concern along OL while then not saying who will start at center is the definition of stupid. #Colts

@Coltsfanwilson: Has a lot to do with Pagano, too, not just injuries. "@mchappell51: #cols Pagano: Lack of continuity on O-line. 9 diff units. It hurts you.

Team Needs:

New Coaching Staff

@Coltsfanwilson: Chuck Pagano citing continuity as big concern along OL while then not saying who will start at center is the definition of stupid. #Colts

@Coltsfanwilson: Has a lot to do with Pagano, too, not just injuries. "@mchappell51: #cols Pagano: Lack of continuity on O-line. 9 diff units. It hurts you.

This couldn't be more off topic. Stop.

All just my opinion of course:

1. We will stick with the same coaches, unless they are offered other positions (Pep as a head coach in college, etc...). If we win against the Titans, we will have three straight 11-win seasons and it will be too difficult to fire the coaches after such success. The problem is that with average coaching, Luck can take us to the playoffs and we may not see any changes any time soon.

2. We will make additions to the O-line (unknown free agents who might quit before the season even begins, mid-level second stringers from another team, O-linemen in the 6th or 7th round and say, well we addressed the O-line). Yet, the O-line will continue to be an issue.

3. We will make additions to the D-line (second stringers from other teams and say we've addressed the D-line). It will just be average and will struggle against good teams.

4. We will draft a receiver and he will be amazing. And then we will throw the ball 40+ times a game, because we can't run behind the pathetic O-line.

5. Luck will lead us to the playoffs and then rinse and repeat.

1. We will stick with the same coaches, unless they are offered other positions (Pep as a head coach in college, etc...). If we win against the Titans, we will have three straight 11-win seasons and it will be too difficult to fire the coaches after such success. The problem is that with average coaching, Luck can take us to the playoffs and we may not see any changes any time soon.

2. We will make additions to the O-line (unknown free agents who might quit before the season even begins, mid-level second stringers from another team, O-linemen in the 6th or 7th round and say, well we addressed the O-line). Yet, the O-line will continue to be an issue.

3. We will make additions to the D-line (second stringers from other teams and say we've addressed the D-line). It will just be average and will struggle against good teams.

4. We will draft a receiver and he will be amazing. And then we will throw the ball 40+ times a game, because we can't run behind the pathetic O-line.

this is prolly true :(

Sign Brian Orakpo, Dan Williams, Devin McCourty, Mike Iupati, and Duron Carter in free agency. Draft Denzel Perryman, Dorial Green Beckham, and Tevin Coleman. We could probably get Orakpo on a 1year deal since he's coming off an injury, and Carter wouldn't be very expensive either. So the only major signings would be Iupati, McCourty, and  probably Williams although nothing major, and Redding, Wayne and Landry will be gone so there's a chunck of money off the books. I've said before we can afford a couple solid signings with the cap going up for the next few years and a few contracts coming off the books. We can either be a fringe Super Bowl team with no major upgrades or be one of the favorites with a few.

Sign Brian Orakpo, Dan Williams, Devin McCourty, Mike Iupati, and Duron Carter in free agency. Draft Denzel Perryman, Dorial Green Beckham, and Tevin Coleman. We could probably get Orakpo on a 1year deal since he's coming off an injury, and Carter wouldn't be very expensive either. So the only major signings would be Iupati, McCourty, and  probably Williams although nothing major, and Redding, Wayne and Landry will be gone so there's a chunck of money off the books. I've said before we can afford a couple solid signings with the cap going up for the next few years and a few contracts coming off the books. We can either be a fringe Super Bowl team with no major upgrades or be one of the favorites with a few.

We are a SMALL market team let me translate. We can't sign every stud FA if we want. We won't get any of those huge ones like mccourty or iupati so we have to settle for less

Unfortunately you're probably spot on about every single point. I remember a few years ago some pranksters set up a call between Buddy Nix and Mark Dominik when both were the GM's of the Bills and the Bucs, respectively. One point from that conversation that has stuck with me was when both were talking about their QB situation. Nix was complaining because they had too much money wrapped up in Fitzpatrick and Dominik was talking about the Bucs not knowing what they had with Freeman at that point. Anyways, they both come to the conclusion that Ryan Grigson had the best job in the NFL. (He had just been hired by the Colts) They said that no matter what moves Grigson made he would be "a genius" for the next 15 years because he had a franchise QB. Luck is good enough for us to be above average but not bad enough for anything to ever change. Idk how I feel about that.

They will be in serious danger of losing fans if that continues to happen

They will be in serious danger of losing fans if that continues to happen

In the off season, there were some really good players available in FA. The Broncos and Patriots went after them and got them (Talib, Revis, Ward, etc..). They are #1 and #2 in the playoff seeding. They have Manning and Brady, but we have Luck, who this year is putting up similar numbers. They've focused on putting together a complete team. We have had the same team for the past 3 years. A pass happy, cant run, can't block, bottom of the league defense-- team.

I see it this way:

Positions where a new starter is an immediate need: RG, RB

Positions where an immediately upgrade should be heavily considered: ILB, S, OLB, D-line

Positions where there is an immediate need for depth: CB, OT, WR

Positions where a finding long term starter for the future is needed: OLB, CB, OT

Offense:

Let's finally give Luck some help and get a run game and some better pass protection. Luck has been asked to carry a heavily flawed team from day 1 and he has done an outstanding job doing just that but he's also taken so many hits along the way. Castonzo seems to be playing up to a legitimate long term blind side protector level and he has good chemistry with Mewhort on the left side. The right side of the line has not played well this season, and there has been a lot of inconsistency at C (I would personally like us to roll with Holmes and see what we have in him). Cherilus is having a down year as he's been playing hurt, but I'm thinking he's gonna start at RT again next year and hopefully he produces like he did in 2013.

I would either like us to go in on Iupati (I view this as unlikely) or draft someone who could immediately start and upgrade the RG position. If we spend a 1st round pick on an O-lineman, I say we should target a guy who could start at RG as a rookie, but ultimately pick a guy that plan to move RT as our long term solution there. If we draft a guy in 2nd round, I think a permanent OG has more merit than it does in the 1st.

I think running back should be addressed in the draft as well. I liked Bradshaw but I think he's played his last down as a Colt, can you really trust him or Ballard to stay healthy? I assume we're keeping Richardson and Herron, but I think we can find a guy that will be better than both of them on the second or third day in the draft.

I like the idea of signing Duron Carter to add to the mix next year. Wayne just has been looking like he's headed to retirement of late, but a WR trio of Hilton, Moncrief, and Carter with Allen and Fleener at TE sounds like a good group of pass catchers to me. I also like Whalen, Cribbs, Doyle, and Swoope backing that group up next year. 

Defense:

I'm a believer that the trenches is where you should start examining a defense. Our D-line is alright. We have some decent players, Jones being the best when healthy, and we have some depth. We can play good football with the guys we have on the D-line, but brining in one more D-lineman that had added some ability to get to the QB would make the job of the rest of the defense easier.

At inside linebacker, Freeman and Jackson have been middle of the road. Freeman is an RFA which means we'll likely second round tender him which is pretty cheap, and I doubt Jackson moves anywhere, but I think an ILB that has coverage skills would be a nice add. OLB, we get Mathis coming back, but that's no long term solution. Werner looks like a long term solution at SAM, but we could definitely pick up a true Mathis replacement (I'm not sure whether or not Newsome is a guy that can develop into that yet).

At CB, Davis has reached the elite level this season and Toler has managed to stay healthy and been an adequate CB2. I'd like to add depth there, and/or possibly a long term solution at corner opposite Davis (which I don't consider Toler to be). At S, Adams has played surprisingly well this year and I think he deserves to be re-signed. Brown has done ok, McDonald has been really good on ST and has some promise, LaRoid should be cut. If the right guy came to us on one of our picks on day 2 of the draft, adding a difference maker at S would certainly be a nice upgrade for the defense. I don't however, feel that the Colts are in all that bad of a position overall with the guys we have as our DBs if the pass rush is improved.

Colts need to upgrade both of their Lines in my opinion! Offense and Defensive Line. On our OL the left side with Mewhort and Castonzo looks good, Center position is still a questionmark, RG looks weak and Cherilus was a disappointment but I doubt Colts will part ways next season with him. Dead money is about 6 Millionen. And Colts still have no quality depth on Oline.

Colts could need a dominant force in the middle of their Defensive Line. A guy like Eddie Goldman who also offers pass rushing skills would be huge and an immediate upgrade over Hughes and Chapman. 

Colts have way too many holes to fill: Pass Rush, ILB, the Secondary has only Vontae who is elite we need a playmaker on the other side. Adams was great so far but is 34....

I haven't gotten into the offseason college player analysis mode yet, but I'll make a general observation.

The colts most glaring weaknesses are in the interior positions, G, C, ILB, and S, and even RB. It has been that way for several years. Fortunately, those positions tend to be the cheapest in terms of FA and college draft picks. You can get good players there w/o having to spend a fortune in FA or first round draft picks.

The colts have the expensive O players already, the QB, over the top WR, and LT. The colts have expensive D players secured, two good C's and a decent 3 DL. Mathis can return as a situational pass rusher along with Newsome.

The colts most glaring weaknesses are in the interior positions, G, C, ILB, and S, and even RB. It has been that way for several years. Fortunately, those positions tend to be the cheapest in terms of FA and college draft picks. You can get good players there w/o having to spend a fortune in FA or first round draft picks.

Up the middle of the offense, and up the middle of the defense. I agree.

I still think some of the young linemen will be okay. Adding a guard/tackle convert would be nice (Ja'el Collins is the only one I've really looked at yet, but he can play guard and eventually kick out to right tackle). And we need to get more explosive at RB (those guys are a dime a dozen).

ILB is tricky. Signing DJ provided marginal improvement, but didn't add the athleticism that was needed to improve the defense. We need depth at safety, and a potential playmaker. Someone who can hold up against slot receivers would be a huge boost. Adams and Brown have been better than expected, and Landry has played better as he's worked his way back into the lineup, but those guys still struggle covering slot receivers and TEs. 

And of course, more pass rush. Always.

Team Needs:
Offense: (RG),Backup RT, (Center), Slot/2 Receiver, (RB), Backup Quarterback.
Defense: Defensive End, Strong Safety, Free Safety, Slot/2 Corner, MLB, (LOLB), (NT). 
With logical cuts this is possible
Resgin: Butler, RFA Freeman and Adams
Sign: Jabaal Shread OLB so we have someone who rush the QB and set the edge
Walter Thurmond CB as depth who's real good coming off an injuiry for cheap.
James Carpenter LG Who fits our * poor line and would come and shift mewhort on the line
Eddie Royal will fit nice into our slot with wayne and nicks leave 
Dan Williams NT/DT who would replace a dead average Chapman

Draft:
We trade our first and third for Pats 1st and 2nd
1: Eric Kendricks ILB
Trade our 2nd and 5th and move up a dozen spots and take Lorenzon Mauldin OLB
With the other second rounder we take Karl Joseph FS
We trade our 4th and one of sixth to move to Dolphins 3rd and Take TJ Yeldon RB
We receive a fifth comp pick for Bethea and take Deshazor Everrett CB
In the sixth we take Tyrus Thompson OT
With our final pick we take Justin Cox SS

Clearly it'll cost but if we cut who I believe will be cut and stuff we could leave this with 15m rollover

Is Eddie Royal hitting FA?  He would be a good addition presuming he doesn't cost too much.

Is Eddie Royal hitting FA?  He would be a good addition presuming he doesn't cost too much.

I'm kind of over the stopgap free agent receiver thing. It hasn't worked. I expected Hakeem Nicks to buck the trend, but he's been caught in the dragnet also. 

And young receivers are contributing right away. Jordan Matthews was a second rounder, and has been absolutely excellent this season. Jarvis Landry went at the end of the second round, same thing. John Brown went right after Moncrief in the third. I'd rather draft a receiver. Of course, we could do both. A small contract for Royal wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't have high hopes for him.

I'm kind of over the stopgap free agent receiver thing. It hasn't worked. I expected Hakeem Nicks to buck the trend, but he's been caught in the dragnet also. 

And young receivers are contributing right away. Jordan Matthews was a second rounder, and has been absolutely excellent this season. Jarvis Landry went at the end of the second round, same thing. John Brown went right after Moncrief in the third. I'd rather draft a receiver. Of course, we could do both. A small contract for Royal wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't have high hopes for him.

I think what Grigs has done which I think is right is to not depend on a rookie WR to play a major role their first year.  I hate to draft a receiver high because we really need to start concentrating draft picks on defensive players.  

I have a slight worry about Moncrief, he's gotten a lot of snaps recently but hasn't done much.  However to be fair the whole team hasn't looked that good either. 

I think what Grigs has done which I think is right is to not depend on a rookie WR to play a major role their first year.  I hate to draft a receiver high because we really need to start concentrating draft picks on defensive players.  

I have a slight worry about Moncrief, he's gotten a lot of snaps recently but hasn't done much.  However to be fair the whole team hasn't looked that good either. 

Moncrief is young and raw. One of the most athletic receivers in the history of the draft, but he has some issues to work out. Not nearly as refined as Matthews and Landry. I think he'll be fine, but he's always going to be more of a big play guy than a possession guy. 

Someone like Austin Hill or Josh Harper can probably contribute right away as a WR3/4.

Moncrief is young and raw. One of the most athletic receivers in the history of the draft, but he has some issues to work out. Not nearly as refined as Matthews and Landry. I think he'll be fine, but he's always going to be more of a big play guy than a possession guy. 

Someone like Austin Hill or Josh Harper can probably contribute right away as a WR3/4.

Yeah.. I mean the guy was 20 years old when drafted.

Even with the bad offensive line play, this team would be a much more serious SB contender this year if....we had a healthy Robert Mathis playing at the level he did last year. I really believe that. Yes we need upgrades at several places but a pass rushing demon who gets you 20 sacks cures a lot of what ailes you in the NFL. No, we cant run the ball, no we can't pass protect very well and we cant stop the run very well or the pass for that matter. But the NFL usually comes down to a handful of plays each game that make the difference in the outcome. Quarterback and DE/OLB are the two biggest impact positions in the game today and with Luck and Mathis we have two of the best in the game.

I doubt Mathis returns to his form of last year but getting him back will be an upgrade.

I hope you're wrong but I tend to agree that we might see a totally different player.

Logic says he won't return to his form of a year ago. Mathis has been a great player all along but last season was by far his best when he lead the league in sacks with 20. That was such a big year for him, he was always a great pass rusher, but 20 is in a league all it's own. It's like 45+ TD passes or 5000 passing or 1800 rushing. Very few get to that number. So, with him being another year older and coming off of Achilles injury I'd say if he got a dozen, which is really good, we'd be happy as heck. I just think this injury combined with his age will slow him up.

I would like the Colts to find a productive receiver who is coming off of his rookie contract. I guy that can start opposite TY, but is further along in his development than Moncrief. Let that guy and Moncrief compete for PT. Or, if the FA is a playmaker from the slot, that's fine too. Maybe that guy will be too expensive, but I think we need production right away, and I don't want to spend a 1st or 2nd pick on a WR.

I don't want to sign an 8 year vet to their third pro contract and third team.

I would like the Colts to find a productive receiver who is coming off of his rookie contract. I guy that can start opposite TY, but is further along in his development than Moncrief. Let that guy and Moncrief compete for PT. Or, if the FA is a playmaker from the slot, that's fine too. Maybe that guy will be too expensive, but I think we need production right away, and I don't want to spend a 1st or 2nd pick on a WR.

I don't want to sign an 8 year vet to their third pro contract and third team.

To me, Jeremy Maclin is the only one that fits that bill. And I don't think he's going anywhere. I also don't see adding a starting WR as being cost-effective. I understand wanting to have a proven guy and not wanting to spend a high draft pick for him, but unless you're willing to spend starter's money, I don't see it happening. 

Here's the list of WRs who are UFAs in 2015, pending teams that re-sign their own guys between now and the start of free agency (and I think Maclin will be one of them): http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/ufa/wide-receiver/

Randall Cobb and Torrey Smith are going to be paid very well. Maclin, also. Dez and DT aren't going anywhere. Crabtree is mildly intriguing as a possession guy, but is going to want to be paid, and is coming off of an underwhelming season. Kenny Britt is interesting, also, but I don't think he's going anywhere, and he's never really shown himself to be a productive player.

Keenan Allen was a third rounder. It's not something you can rely on, but you can get a guy who's ready to produce in middle rounds. I think that's the best bet. I also think Reggie is coming back for another year, and in a 30-40 snap/game role, he'll be able to get some first downs and continue to contribute.

To me, Jeremy Maclin is the only one that fits that bill. And I don't think he's going anywhere. I also don't see adding a starting WR as being cost-effective. I understand wanting to have a proven guy and not wanting to spend a high draft pick for him, but unless you're willing to spend starter's money, I don't see it happening. 

Here's the list of WRs who are UFAs in 2015, pending teams that re-sign their own guys between now and the start of free agency (and I think Maclin will be one of them): http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/ufa/wide-receiver/

Randall Cobb and Torrey Smith are going to be paid very well. Maclin, also. Dez and DT aren't going anywhere. Crabtree is mildly intriguing as a possession guy, but is going to want to be paid, and is coming off of an underwhelming season. Kenny Britt is interesting, also, but I don't think he's going anywhere, and he's never really shown himself to be a productive player.

Keenan Allen was a third rounder. It's not something you can rely on, but you can get a guy who's ready to produce in middle rounds. I think that's the best bet. I also think Reggie is coming back for another year, and in a 30-40 snap/game role, he'll be able to get some first downs and continue to contribute.

I think Crabtree is intriguiing as well. Always thought his hands were solid.

How much of this season in terms of his production do you attribute to

Capernick?

Not much to pick from in that list. I'd say Cecil Shorts may come with the right price tag and level of experience and competence, but I don't follow JAC close enough to know if he has good hands and route running.

He seems to have made his share of nice plays over the years, but I don't know if that's because of talent, or because even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

I'd be looking for a #3 WR who could push Moncrief into developing into #2 quicker.

Up the middle of the offense, and up the middle of the defense. I agree.

I still think some of the young linemen will be okay. Adding a guard/tackle convert would be nice (Ja'el Collins is the only one I've really looked at yet, but he can play guard and eventually kick out to right tackle). And we need to get more explosive at RB (those guys are a dime a dozen).

ILB is tricky. Signing DJ provided marginal improvement, but didn't add the athleticism that was needed to improve the defense. We need depth at safety, and a potential playmaker. Someone who can hold up against slot receivers would be a huge boost. Adams and Brown have been better than expected, and Landry has played better as he's worked his way back into the lineup, but those guys still struggle covering slot receivers and TEs. 

And of course, more pass rush. Always.

I'm starting to look over the college draft and Perryman and McKinney look like decent prospects for LB, with McKinney appearing to have the length to play some OLB too.

I'm starting to look over the college draft and Perryman and McKinney look like decent prospects for LB, with McKinney appearing to have the length to play some OLB too.

McKinney can't cover. He's athletic and rangy, but not a good cover man. As a first round prospect, I think that's a legitimate nitpick.

I've liked Perryman since last year. Questions about size and maybe some bad workouts might drop him to the second round.

Not much to pick from in that list. I'd say Cecil Shorts may come with the right price tag and level of experience and competence, but I don't follow JAC close enough to know if he has good hands and route running.

He seems to have made his share of nice plays over the years, but I don't know if that's because of talent, or because even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

I'd be looking for a #3 WR who could push Moncrief into developing into #2 quicker.

Tyler Lockett from Kansas State is a strong second/third day prospect at receiver. I think he'll produce right away, in the right situation. Nelson Agholar from USC is another midround guy I like.

Cecil Shorts probably doesn't get out of Jacksonville. I think he's a decent receiver, but not a guy who can run every route and work the middle of the field. He's kind of a duplicate of Moncrief, but not as big or fast, and has issues with drops from time to time. He could contribute, but I don't think he's the guy you're looking for.

I think Crabtree is intriguiing as well. Always thought his hands were solid.

How much of this season in terms of his production do you attribute to

Capernick?

He's been hurt all year, so I think that's the major consideration, regardless of Kap's struggles. He has great hands, he's a good route runner, he can handle physical defenders, good size, not a burner but fast enough... I'd take him on my team.

Problem is he's a legit #1 receiver. He'll easily get $8m/year, probably more. He's not cost-effective.

He's been hurt all year, so I think that's the major consideration, regardless of Kap's struggles. He has great hands, he's a good route runner, he can handle physical defenders, good size, not a burner but fast enough... I'd take him on my team.

Problem is he's a legit #1 receiver. He'll easily get $8m/year, probably more. He's not cost-effective.

I look at him more as a slot/possession type similar to what we are currently doing with Reggie Wayne.  I wonder if Crabtree would have any issues in that type of a role?  If he clicks with Luck he'll get his fair share of throws I think.