Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I sure hope Vontae is ready to go Sunday

RockThatBlue

Our defense is completely dependent on Vonte.     If he's playing -- and playing well -- our defense has a chance to be very good.

But if he's not playing,  we're in deep trouble.

Toler is a fine 2nd CB,  but he's not a #1.    And Gordy has our 2nd CB has been terrible the last few weeks.

Too bad we had to give up on Purifoy,  but that's life in the NFL.

I thought Gordy had a decent game.  On the first TD he gave up, he actually had decent coverage.  The ball was underthrown, allowing the WR to turn back to it.  Sure, he could/should have turned his head to look for the ball sooner, but I think that's correctable.

On the interference play, he was again right there with the WR because knees and legs hit one another and he fell down.  He was tugging the jersey a bit, but he was still in good position.  I think a week of practice with more reps and more intensity will help him.  Of course, he's no Vontae.

As for updates on Vontae, the last thing I saw was Pagano saying it's not possible to tell yet what will happen.  Each player responds to concussions differently and it's too early to tell if he'll be able to play or not

Our defense is completely dependent on Vonte. If he's playing -- and playing well -- our defense has a chance to be very good.

But if he's not playing, we're in deep trouble.

Toler is a fine 2nd CB, but he's not a #1. And Gordy has our 2nd CB has been terrible the last few weeks.

Too bad we had to give up on Purifoy, but that's life in the NFL.

I agree. His impact on defense reminds me so much of how past defenses relied on Bob Sanders.

If Bob Sanders was out, the defense was usually terrible. Its the same for Vontae. If Vontaes out our D is bad.

We will need him Sunday, I'm not sure Toler can handle Gordon, we know Gordy can't.

I thought Gordy had a decent game.  On the first TD he gave up, he actually had decent coverage.  The ball was underthrown, allowing the WR to turn back to it.  Sure, he could/should have turned his head to look for the ball sooner, but I think that's correctable.

On the interference play, he was again right there with the WR because knees and legs hit one another and he fell down.  He was tugging the jersey a bit, but he was still in good position.  I think a week of practice with more reps and more intensity will help him.  Of course, he's no Vontae.

As for updates on Vontae, the last thing I saw was Pagano saying it's not possible to tell yet what will happen.  Each player responds to concussions differently and it's too early to tell if he'll be able to play or not

Didn't fall flat on his butt that first TD?

I agree. His impact on defense reminds me so much of how past defenses relied on Bob Sanders.

If Bob Sanders was out, the defense was usually terrible. Its the same for Vontae. If Vontaes out our D is bad.

We will need him Sunday, I'm not sure Toler can handle Gordon, we know Gordy can't.

Actually we won far more games without Bob sanders than we did with him playing.

Yeah... I was going to post similar . He really did have good coverage most of the time. He was a little unlucky plus maybe didn't look for the ball soon enough. As for Davis , he looked pretty shaky after that missed tackle. Not trying to play doctor but I'm thinking pretty unlikely he plays. But every team has injuries ...

But at the NFL level its not enough to be in position, you have to make a play on the ball.  Gordy doesn't get points for doing half of his job.

I don't expect to see Davis this weekend so its a big spot for Gordy.  He has not faired well in extensive play.

I'm sure I'll get roasted, but I don't think Gordy is as bad as fans make him out to be. 

Actually we won far more games without Bob sanders than we did with him playing.

Well I wasn't really talking in terms of wins and losses. Just that our defense normally played better when Bob Sanders played, kind of like how our defense normally plays better when Davis plays.

But at the NFL level its not enough to be in position, you have to make a play on the ball.  Gordy doesn't get points for doing half of his job.

I don't expect to see Davis this weekend so its a big spot for Gordy.  He has not faired well in extensive play.

Fair point, but I think it shows that Gordy is capable.  He's not completely out in no man's land

Fair point, but I think it shows that Gordy is capable.  He's not completely out in no man's land

Yes, he is capable...in the Dime Package playing against the #3 of #4 WR.  This is how he has remained on the team I guess.  I look at AZ and see 4 DBs that can cover the #1 or #2 WR.  I think we had  some young DBs that could have developed to this level but they are gone as we have discussed on this Forum

That's what I'm thinking. If he's practicing tomorrow he's probably gonna play.

And I don't know if it means anything, but Vontae hasn't said anything about it on his Twitter. Could mean nothing though.

Toler had a concussion two weeks ago, and missed one game, but everyone is different and handle injuries differently. We could really use him on Sunday, or Hoyer might look like Peyton Manning against our secondary.

He had good coverage, but you can't run past the receiver and not turn around. He didn't even turn his head.

He thinks, but it's not his decision to make, unless Manuskey is also our team doctor.

I'm just assuming he's talked to the team doctors or was briefed on where Davis was in the concussion protocol before he made that statement would make sense being the D coordinator

Let's hope its true. I'm guessing we will know one way or another by tomorrow.

Would be great to have him playing against Gordan

I'm just assuming he's talked to the team doctors or was briefed on where Davis was in the concussion protocol before he made that statement would make sense being the D coordinator

Would be great to have him playing against Gordan

Well tomorrow will dictate everything.. Let's hope for the best..