Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49'ers will try to trade Jim Harbaugh at end of the season?

ReMeDy

Saw this on the Colts game newsticker. I never knew you could trade a head coach.

The clippers did it for Doc Rivers with the Celtics...but yeah I can't imagine someone doing that unless they don't think they can sign him in the offseason when there would be competition for the guy.

Mistake. It would be interesting if he ends up in Oakland, or New York.

I would love to see that, if for no other reason that it would prove my point that head coaches are more often then not victims of the teams they are given to coach.

But I would say most likely if they are trying to trade him he might just try and get Michigan to buy out his contract instead.  Better to do that then get traded to a team where he has no chance.

Irsay is not going to fire Pagano. Why would he? Pagano has a 8-4 record with a 2 game lead in their division. Get real.

Can't beat the top teams, then again we will wait and see what happens in the playoffs.  Another one win and done, the Colts will need something better to get them to the next level.  

Can't beat the top teams, then again we will wait and see what happens in the playoffs.  Another one win and done, the Colts will need something better to get them to the next level.  

It takes better players not new coaches. IMO. You want a head coach fired after taking a new team to the playoffs 3 years in a row? Like I said, get real.

It takes better players not new coaches. IMO. You want a head coach fired after taking a new team to the playoffs 3 years in a row? Like I said, get real.

This team has good players, all across the field. We have the #1 offense, #1 QB in the league, you don't do that with "players that aren't good enough".    The defense plays lights out on some days and doesn't show up for others, in my opinion that inconsistency is due to coaching.  Even in the first season, the Colts beat teams they had no business beating(granted they lost a few to lesser teams, but it was Luck's first season).  I am sorry if I expect my team to hold their own at home against top teams like the Patriots or not get embarassed by the Steelers, who aren't even that good this year.   I know a sound like a spoiled fan and we are spoiled to get so many playoff appearances.  But I want to see progression, not just being happy to make the playoffs.  With all the young and developing players, we should expect to get better every season, not just stay where we are and get comfortable.   Not to forget, with rookie contracts coming up soon, probably won't be able to keep some of these players. 

You mean like when he beat Seattle, Denver and San Francisco last year?!?     Those top teams?    Is last year so long ago that you forgot all that?

Pagano is on his way to his 3rd straight double-digit win season.   He's not going anywhere.....

This team has good players, all across the field. We have the #1 offense, #1 QB in the league, you don't do that with "players that aren't good enough".    The defense plays lights out on some days and doesn't show up for others, in my opinion that inconsistency is due to coaching.  Even in the first season, the Colts beat teams they had no business beating(granted they lost a few to lesser teams, but it was Luck's first season).  I am sorry if I expect my team to hold their own at home against top teams like the Patriots or not get embarassed by the Steelers, who aren't even that good this year.   I know a sound like a spoiled fan and we are spoiled to get so many playoff appearances.  But I want to see progression, not just being happy to make the playoffs.  With all the young and developing players, we should expect to get better every season, not just stay where we are and get comfortable.   Not to forget, with rookie contracts coming up soon, probably won't be able to keep some of these players.

name a true impact player on the colts front seven

If he can't take one the most talented rosters to the promise land he has no chance in Indy we don't need his dysfunction .

Harbaugh has had no luck (excuse the expression) improving the play of his QB....

Except that he made Alex Smith into a very good quarterback.    He's played the best ball of his career after Harbaugh got him.

And he got Kaepernick to lead his team to the Super Bowl his first year as a starter, and to the NFC Championship game in the other.

That doesn't sound so bad.

For some reason,  Kaepernick has regressed this year.    Not sure how much of that is on Harbaugh.....

But wherever Harbaugh goes,  he wears out his welcome pretty quickly....

Except that he made Alex Smith into a very good quarterback.    He's played the best ball of his career after Harbaugh got him. 

And he got Kaepernick to lead his team to the Super Bowl his first year as a starter, and to the NFC Championship game in the other. 

For some reason,  Kaepernick has regressed this year.    Not sure how much of that is on Harbaugh..... 

Two facts not in evidence...The SF defense got them to the finals..not Kap..I don't think that's debatable

...and Alex Smith was never nor is he now a 'very good quarterback'

the point? Harbaugh is no genius..and everybody who knows him thinks he's extremely difficult to work with.and strange.

Bottom line: Titles as a player or coach: Zero, right?

Go someplace else. Dont bet on the freak show

The Bucs and Raiders did that with Gruden.  Tampa gave up 2 first round picks for Gruden, I believe.  I think Schefter put out a tweet that said the Raiders and Jets are very interested, but there are people within the 49ers organization who think an extension can be reached

Yep, 21 it's the 1st thing that popped into my head. 

He's done in San Fran. That team is on full tilt right now.

Do you remember HC Mike Singletary? Jim Harbaugh took the same roster & started going to NFC Championship Games. Management would be dumb to cut him loose IMHO. 

You mean like when he beat Seattle, Denver and San Francisco last year?!?     Those top teams?    Is last year so long ago that you forgot all that?

Pagano is on his way to his 3rd straight double-digit win season.   He's not going anywhere.....

I love you man. Always the voice of wisdom & reason NCF.  :thmup:

Do you remember HC Mike Singletary? Jim Harbaugh took the same roster & started going to NFC Championship Games. Management would be dumb to cut him loose IMHO.

His act is apparently beginning to run thin with the 49ers.  Veterans are getting tired of him.  Even I'm starting to find him annoying and I only see him not even every Sunday for only a little bit

His act is apparently beginning to run thin with the 49ers. Veterans are getting tired of him. Even I'm starting to find him annoying and I only see him not even every Sunday for only a little bit

He annoys me too. He has the Temperament of a child. I've never seen a coach whine and cry during games as much as he does.

His act is apparently beginning to run thin with the 49ers.  Veterans are getting tired of him.  Even I'm starting to find him annoying and I only see him not even every Sunday for only a little bit

He annoys me too. He has the Temperament of a child. I've never seen a coach whine and cry during games as much as he does.

Does he complain a lot? Sure, he does. Do I like it? No, not particularly, but the guy took the Niners to the SB in the 2012 season & only lost the game by 3 points Ravens 34 San Fran 31. 

The last time the 49ers won the SB was the 1994 season under QB Steve Young. Colossal hot head or not, Bay area ownership needs to find a way to make it work & keep Coach Harbaugh intact. 

Does he complain a lot? Sure, he does. Do I like it? No, not particularly, but the guy took the Niners to the SB in the 2012 season & only lost the game by 3 points Ravens 34 San Fran 31. 

The last time the 49ers won the SB was the 1994 season under QB Steve Young. Colossal hot head or not, Bay area ownership needs to find a way to make it work & keep Coach Harbaugh intact. 

I agree SW. No one can argue that he is a great coach and has been for the niners since he got there. But his personality seems to grate on people after a few years. I sure hope he does not go to the Jets. There are rumors that they want him and will give up a lot to get him.

I agree SW. No one can argue that he is a great coach and has been for the niners since he got there. But his personality seems to grate on people after a few years. I sure hope he does not go to the Jets. There are rumors that they want him and will give up a lot to get him.

What if he decides to hold out? :)

Where have you heard that and what are they rumored to be willing to give up for Harbaugh? I hope they don't trade many high draft picks for him but given that it is the Jets, I would not be surprised if they did. Hiring Harbaugh would be great for them but not if they have to give up high draft picks, as the Jets need help at almost every position, especially at QB.

Keep in mind they were getting blown out of that Super Bowl until the lights went out.

But even the players are finding his act tiresome.  While he's done wonders with that offense and with Kaep, Kaep's development isn't where it should be.  He's had a really bad year this year.  Like you, I'm all for stability, especially if it means keeping successful people around the organization.  But when your own players are being annoyed by his antics, I think you let the guy go and try to get whatever you can in return for him.

Where have you heard that and what are they rumored to be willing to give up for Harbaugh? I hope they don't trade many high draft picks for him but given that it is the Jets, I would not be surprised if they did. Hiring Harbaugh would be great for them but not if they have to give up high draft picks, as the Jets need help at almost every position, especially at QB.

Nothing specific as I don't think they would disclose that publicly. But they are interested in him. I agree about the picks but if you can land a coach of his caliber, I think you take the hit. He will make everyone better and make smarter personnel decisions. But I really can't see him working well with Johnson. I guess we'll see. Oakland seems like the logical landing spot or back to college maybe.

I hear ya AMF. The Jets being a formidable foe in the AFC East would feel really bizarre to me if that franchise ever got good & started competing for a division crown. I don't think that's gonna happen since owner Woody Johnson is more interested in winning headlines than any hardware. Plus, I think Jim Harbaugh wants to stay on the West coast so I could see him in the running for the Oakland Black Hole gig. Translation: NE will still dominate the division next year & have nothing to fear from gang green & the Big Apple. 

I could see Tom Coughlin being interviewed for the Niners job if Jim is not brought back next year.  

Keep in mind they were getting blown out of that Super Bowl until the lights went out.

But even the players are finding his act tiresome.  While he's done wonders with that offense and with Kaep, Kaep's development isn't where it should be.  He's had a really bad year this year.  Like you, I'm all for stability, especially if it means keeping successful people around the organization.  But when your own players are being annoyed by his antics, I think you let the guy go and try to get whatever you can in return for him.

I know that when guys in the locker room start tuning out a coach's message it's difficult to recover from that 21st. No argument there. You're right about CK's QB development. He's not consistent enough in terms of accuracy which comes & goes during quarters. I bet some 49ers teammates wish they had Alex Smith back too actually. 

I'm gonna be honest here HC Harbaugh's constant complaining about zebra calls gets on my nerves too, but letting a coach go who got you to the SB is a dangerous game to play because there's no guarantee that the next coach will match his predecessor let alone surpass it. 

All people remember is the final score not which team had the lead in which half & a 3 point difference is quite impressive to me. We aren't talking about a blowout here. 

How much you should worry about it depends on if the Jets are in position to get Mariota at the end of the year.  If they are then Harbaugh might be able to coach him into a winner, but I still don't see him being able to out duel Brady on a regular basis.

If not then I wouldn't worry too much.  He's not going to make Geno into a winner.  I don't think he'd go for Winston . . . infact Winston would be entertaining on the Rex Ryan led jets because they are a circus, but that ship has sailed and Rex is gone.

Then who are the best QB's available in FA?  

Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez (Think he'd re-up with the Jets?? I doubt it), Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer and Matt Hasselbeck.  

Hasselbeck is old, may retire and if he doesn't he seems more then content to collect checks sitting on the Colt's sidelines.  He doesn't want to be a starter.  If he did he wouldn't have signed on with Indy in the first place.  Matt Moore is maybe the scariest name on that list, some coaching from Harbaugh could maybe turn him into a solid starter.  

Honestly I would not be surprised if Harbaugh tries to get Michigan to buy out his contract.  Michigan would love to have him, he's their dream hire.  I don't think Harbaugh wants to be traded to some team that doesn't have a quarterback and then be expected to work miracles.  The only place that will likely have an opening that I could see him wanting to go is Atlanta.  

If he goes to Michigan he may work his way back into the NFL, but he will likely buy his time until some team with a decent QB is under performing and needs a coaching change.  But I think he will do anything he can to avoid ending up with the Raiders or the Jets or some team like that.

did harbaugh have problems at stanford too?

so the lights going out gave the 49ers special football powers?

so the lights going out gave the 49ers special football powers?

It's hard to say what kind of effect it had.  It certainly killed any momentum the Ravens had and leveled the playing field in that sense.  I think Baltimore's offense ended up going something like 56 minutes without going on the field.  The lights weren't the deciding factor, but it does make you wonder what the score would have been if the lights hadn't gone out.  The Ravens were rolling at that point