Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hate to say it, the Patriots from the AFC are favorites to win the SB

chad72

I know it is about 3 months early but I feel with the way their defense is playing, and the health of Gronk and the turnaround on their O-line, the Patriots have to be the favorites to win the SB after their win vs the Colts tonight.

The only thing that can stop them is themselves and health, IMO, outside a fluky game by an opponent in the playoffs (definitely not a Hail Mary beating them like Jacoby Jones :), not vs Belichick). However, I do not see it happening with them. They are the kind of team that has been there, knows to win, knows not to get too high and not to get too low and keeps it steady, no matter what the opponent is.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other news, the sky is blue. They're the best team in the AFC and it's not really that close for second place. They're the only AFC team without a weakness

A few teams in the NFC can give them a run for their money should they make the SB. A few teams in the AFC (KC, MIA) have the any given Sunday factor where they're good enough defensively to win if their offenses DO SOMETHING.

No one has really said it but his Patriots team looks an awful lot like 2007. Explosive offensive with a great defense. Except this team can run the ball and will run the ball unlike 2007. And there won't be any Giants in the SB to spoil the party. :)

And I hate to say it but I'm still not sold on them.

Denver looked invincible last year too.

We know what happened the last time the Patriots got to the Super Bowl...and they barely got there the last time.

You're 100% justified in saying this based on 2011 and recent years, but the difference with this team is the secondary. In a league that's more pass-happy than ever, they finally have the personnel to do what Belichick wants to do on defense. If they can stay healthy, they should continue to get better as they go. 

They will still allow some yards, as the D is predicated mostly on keeping everything in front of them, but did you notice in the last two games how many times Manning and Luck had to just sit there and wait, patting the ball until someone came open? 

Belichick has the pieces he needs for this team to play like the '03 and '04 squads. Possibly even better than that, and certainly better on offense than either of those teams. 

I think they are peaking too early and will fade

Maybe.

But, this is a coach/QB combo that has, on two occasions, gone more than a calendar year without a single (non-preseason) loss. There was the streak that bridged the 2003-2004 seasons, and then after losing the AFFCG to the Colts in January '07 they didn't lose again until the Super Bowl in February '08. 

I'm not saying they'll run the table... Detroit and Green Bay are certainly both good teams and the Patriots could drop either one, or both. Miami too. But it's not outrageous to believe that it could happen. Especially given the fact that it's happened before. 

It is a safe bet that the Patriots finish no worse than 13-3 when it is all said and done.

Broncos probably end up 12-4 barely squeaking by the Chiefs for the division, I feel. AFC West will come down to the wire. For the Colts's sake, I hope the Broncos lose 5 so that we can run the table after this and hope for a bye week still. That is our only way, and the odds are not in our favor.

Patriots, Broncos, Colts, Bengals, Chiefs, Dolphins is what I think it will end up being in the AFC.

It is a safe bet that the Patriots finish no worse than 13-3 when it is all said and done.

Broncos probably end up 12-4 barely squeaking by the Chiefs for the division, I feel. AFC West will come down to the wire. For the Colts's sake, I hope the Broncos lose 5 so that we can run the table after this and hope for a bye week still. That is our only way, and the odds are not in our favor.

Patriots, Broncos, Colts, Bengals, Chiefs, Dolphins is what I think it will end up being in the AFC.

Great post Chad. I think Dolphins make it in this year too

At KC, with the Pats' o-line in complete disarray.

The o-line has been fixed. And they've dominated because of it.

You never know, KC may be a match up

problem to the Patriots, like you guys are to the Colts. I will say I'm impressed that Bill got Revis and Browner. I wish Ozzie was as aggressive in getting cornerbacks, as the lack thereof is what is costing the Ravens this year. Too many injuries, no secondary depth at corner.

I know it is about 3 months early but I feel with the way their defense is playing, and the health of Gronk and the turnaround on their O-line, the Patriots have to be the favorites to win the SB after their win vs the Colts tonight.

The only thing that can stop them is themselves and health, IMO, outside a fluky game by an opponent in the playoffs (definitely not a Hail Mary beating them like Jacoby Jones :), not vs Belichick). However, I do not see it happening with them. They are the kind of team that has been there, knows to win, knows not to get too high and not to get too low and keeps it steady, no matter what the opponent is.

First 4 weeks, it was Denver and now its NE.

Who will be after 4 weeks?.

The first sentence here is key.....Its 3 months early...

If the playoffs began today...New England would be the favorite....needing only 2 home game wins.

But after they visit Green bay in 2 weeks, things might change

Green Bay cant stop New England? Really?

The first sentence here is key.....Its 3 months early...

If the playoffs began today...New England would be the favorite....needing only 2 home game wins.

But after they visit Green bay in 2 weeks, things might change

Green Bay cant stop New England? Really?

I am not sure Green Bay can play clock control like the Pats can with their run game, there in lies the difference, IMO. Packers' DL can still be run on. Unless the Lions play dirty and knock Gronkowski out of the game to help the Packers, I do not see anyone containing Gronk either.

To me, it looks like a GB v NE Super Bowl right now. But after week 17, it may look completly different. Geez, the Colt D looked even worse in 2006, then look what happened. It's a strange game, this Grid Iron.

Any fans of any team rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of lifting the Lombardi are being very foolish.

I am not sure Green Bay can play clock control like the Pats can with their run game, there in lies the difference, IMO. Packers' DL can still be run on. Unless the Lions play dirty and knock Gronkowski out of the game to help the Packers, I do not see anyone containing Gronk either.

But Green bay can score.

Yesterday was a classic example of why he is the best.

His team doesnt rely on one player especially QB. Tom Brady was not very good yesterday and they still scored 42 points.

Normally they need Brady to play well to win, see first two losses of the season. They won yesterday with him playing a lousy first half because the Colts just got rolled up front.

I am not sure how you say it. Colts running game is not very good. What is your basis?.

Production. Before last night, you had better production in your run game than the Patriots. They lost their number one back in Ridley weeks ago. Although now you are down Bradshaw. Sorry about his injury. He is a tough player to lose. How do you feel about Trent carrying the load?

Production. Before last night, you had better production in your run game than the Patriots. They lost their number one back in Ridley weeks ago. Although now you are down Bradshaw. Sorry about his injury. He is a tough player to lose. How do you feel about Trent carrying the load?

Trent?. You should see our Trent special thread  :number1:  :cheer2: