Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whens the last time Indy had a d line this good?

RockThatBlue

2007 SB winners had  Freeney, Raheem Brock, Booger McFarland and Mathis was as good as it got for the Colts.  McFarland was one of Polians best acquisitions.  They were very good in the playoffs but had some awful regular season games.  Who can forget when the Jaguars went off on our defense late in the season.  This line was not as good against the run maybe but they could get after the QB.  Mathis had not yet fully emerged yet.  Bob Sanders was also cleaning up a lot of bad plays by the Front 7.

Redding

Chapman

Jones

Hughes

Kerr

RJF

I thought even Quarles looked decent when he played.

Holy cow thats some good depth. We didn't ever have a line as big or as good as that during the Peyton years.

I'd say the answer to your question is when it included Bob Sanders for a game or two.  

Colts with Fred Cook, Mike Barnes, Joe Ehrman, John Dutton; Indy with Mathis, McFarland, Brock and Freeney. Plus we are 24th in the League in rushing yards per attempt--yes i know LBs play a part in that, but D Line has to be a big part of doing better stopping the run than 4.4 ypc.

how much of the 4.4 ypc the D gives up is from garbage timey runs, end of half draws, etc? I know there's been quite a bit of that...for the most part, teams are NOT running it down the Colt's throat and controlling the LOS like in the past.

Exactly. The Houston game is a great example. Colts got up big early and the started playing mostly nickel. Texans then snuck in a lot of garbage rushing yards against the colt nickel front. When games have been on the line though, teams have had difficulty running on the colts.

And for those complaining about the pass rush, in our defense the pass rush is designed to come mostly from the linebackers, not the dl. This is the third year in this defense. Come on now people. :P

Exactly. The Houston game is a great example. Colts got up big early and the started playing mostly nickel. Texans then snuck in a lot of garbage rushing yards against the colt nickel front. When games have been on the line though, teams have had difficulty running on the colts.

And for those complaining about the pass rush, in our defense the pass rush is designed to come mostly from the linebackers, not the dl. This is the third year in this defense. Come on now people. :P

With the last part being 100% true, I think we've actually had a decent pass rush from the line. We have been able to squeeze the pocket. That's important.

Agreed.

After suffering through too many nightmares of Eric Foster, Kenyatta Dawson, Josh Williams, Larry Triplett, Montae Reagor, Raheem Brock at DT.

The Polian era failed miserable at supplying us with two solid DT's in our Tampa Cover-2 system. I remember how bad I wanted our defensive front to consist of four pro bowl players. Mathis, Freeney, Simon and McFarland.

Which obviously never happened.

Redding

Chapman

Jones

Hughes

Kerr

RJF

Holy cow thats some good depth. We didn't ever have a line as big or as good as that during the Peyton years.

RJF stepped up this year and Kerr made a name for himself. I'm still hoping Hughes becomes a force out there and Jones can stay healthy.

I still wouldn't be surprised if we add a DE or OLB in free agency or the draft next year.

Redding

Chapman

Jones

Hughes

Kerr

RJF

This is the defense that gave up 639 yards vs. steelers (39 minutes possesion time for steelers.)

I have never heard of a really good defense having that kind of meltdown.  I'm sure it's happened but let's understand that the Colts defense is vulnerable.  It's certainly better than what we are used to.

I like the rotation overall, and I must say I am happy with how Montori Hughes is progressing.  The guy is pretty darn solid against the run to me and he makes some decent contributions against the pass when given the opportunity.  I do think we are missing a penetrating type like Sheldon Richardson or Muhammad Wilkerson.  I suppose Corey Redding fits that somewhat but not dominant. We do have  a very solid group though.  I'm not putting a whole lot into that Pittsburgh game as I think every team has a game that is uncharacteristic of who they really are.  I think we've been pretty good more times than not.

This is the defense that gave up 639 yards vs. steelers (39 minutes possesion time for steelers.)

I have never heard of a really good defense having that kind of meltdown. I'm sure it's happened but let's understand that the Colts defense is vulnerable. It's certainly better than what we are used to.

Meh, it was one game. Our D has looked good pretty much every game this year. All defenses have a bad game, even good or great ones.

Redding

Chapman

Jones

Hughes

Kerr

RJF

I think Quarles can be a player for us after a full training camp. I was glad to see that move