Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Julius Thomas vs Gronk

RockThatBlue

Which TE is better in your opinion? These two are arguably the two best in the game. I'd go with Gronk myself, hes insanely good.

Thomas isn't even top 3. It's Gronk, then Graham, and then Gates and Witten. Then you have Julius with guys like Bennett and Olsen. If Peyton wasn't throwing JT the ball, you wouldn't hear his name much.

Gronk is a future hall of famer.

Gronk is in his own league...He is better in every phase. He is a better blocker, route runner, and overall he dominates linebackers...he punishes Defensive backs/linebackers. 

JT is more like Graham. Really good route runners that make plays in place of WR's. 

Thomas isn't even top 3. It's Gronk, then Graham, and then Gates and Witten. Then you have Julius with guys like Bennett and Olsen. If Peyton wasn't throwing JT the ball, you wouldn't hear his name much.

Gronk is a future hall of famer.

Witten? Have you looked at his numbers over the last 3 years? 13 TDs in three years? Gates has a good year going this season but only had 18 TDs over three years. Graham has 36 TDs in the last three years. Thomas has 21 TDs in 2 1/2 years. There is no doubt the Gronk can be in the HOF if he can stay healthy. None of the TEs could do what they do without the QB play so why is JT different? Brady feeds Gronk more than Manning feeds Thomas.

Witten? Have you looked at his numbers over the last 3 years? 13 TDs in three years? Gates has a good year going this season but only had 18 TDs over three years. Graham has 36 TDs in the last three years. Thomas has 21 TDs in 2 1/2 years. There is no doubt the Gronk can be in the HOF if he can stay healthy. None of the TEs could do what they do without the QB play so why is JT different? Brady feeds Gronk more than Manning feeds Thomas.

If I had to take a tight end to play a game next week, I'm taking Witten and Gates before JT and it isn't even close...Witten is still a beast at getting separation.  He is physical, and playing physical against him doesn't work.  He's also outstanding in blocking.  Gates makes ridiculous circus catches with ease and can still get it done even with two guys covering him.  Julius is just another guy.  I don't see anything special in him.  Put any average tight end in his place, and Peyton still would have gotten him almost identical production.

There were people saying JT was the best tight end Peyton's ever played with, earlier in the season.  They were nuts.  Dallas Clark could run circles around JT.  Clark had excellent hands, ran great routes, and wasn't afraid to make the hard, contested catch.

And Gronk could perform at his same elite level without Brady.  Gronk is arguably the best Tight End in the history of the league.  Watch this guy play, he is making insane catches every week, or trucking over two defenders on the way into the endzone.  You throw a ten yard pass to Gronk and he'll take it 30 yards into the end zone, with the remains of his would-be-tacklers sprawled on the ground.  Gronk has that blend you never see - he's physical, has great reach, and has enough speed where only cornerbacks can catch him.

If I had to take a tight end to play a game next week, I'm taking Witten and Gates before JT and it isn't even close...Witten is still a beast at getting separation.  He is physical, and playing physical against him doesn't work.  He's also outstanding in blocking.  Gates makes ridiculous circus catches with ease and can still get it done even with two guys covering him.  Julius is just another guy.  I don't see anything special in him.  Put any average tight end in his place, and Peyton still would have gotten him almost identical production.

There were people saying JT was the best tight end Peyton's ever played with, earlier in the season.  They were nuts.  Dallas Clark could run circles around JT.  Clark had excellent hands, ran great routes, and wasn't afraid to make the hard, contested catch.

And Gronk could perform at his same elite level without Brady.  Gronk is arguably the best Tight End in the history of the league.  Watch this guy play, he is making insane catches every week, or trucking over two defenders on the way into the endzone.  You throw a ten yard pass to Gronk and he'll take it 30 yards into the end zone, with the remains of his would-be-tacklers sprawled on the ground.  Gronk has that blend you never see - he's physical, has great reach, and has enough speed where only cornerbacks can catch him.

I agree with Gronk being the best but the rest is just your opinion. The stats and numbers don't back it.

Gronk. . . I think Thomas may be in part a product of Manning.  No doubt he's the best TE that Manning has played with as much as I hate to say that being a Dallas Clark fan.  

But he just doesn't shed off tacklers after the catch like Gronk can.  

Thomas is probably top 5, but I don't think he's #1 or #2

Gronk is the best tight end in the league.  There were debates between Gronk and Graham at the start of the year, but I don't think there's any doubt that it's Gronk.  What can Gronk not do?  He blocks, he runs good routes, he has good hands, he scores TDs, the guy does it all.  I've long maintained that Julius is overrated because of his QB and everyone knows Graham can't block.

There has never been any question who the best TE is. He is a freak of nature ala Megatron....if he is on the field (healthy) he is virtually unstopable...especially if he is allowed to push off at the top of his break like WRs are allowed to do....its suppose to be an emphasis but its not getting called anywhere...it's so hard to be a defender now days. Last night though we got to see a throw back performance however...a lot of hand fighting and face guarding...be interesting if the NFL allows that to continue.