Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones !

hptXcolts

I hopes he playes better and make a better impact because every game he's been in we've lost and when you watch the game tape you'll see he really isn't a impact player so far. But its the middle of the season so its still room for improvement so will have to see

I hopes he playes better and make a better impact because every game he's been in we've lost and when you watch the game tape you'll see he really isn't a impact player so far. But its the middle of the season so its still room for improvement so will have to see

I still think, if healthy, he is our most talented DL.  He reinjured his ankle early in the game last week, and the amount of weight/force that is put on a DL's ankles every play is pretty significant -- it may have been better for him to come out of that game right after he rolled it.  Hopefully it's not too serious, as he has the ability to be a game-changer for us if he is healthy.

Jones has been good when he's on the field, he's just been injured. You'll see what I'm saying when he's back and 100%. What's helped us is how good Francois has played in Jones's absence.

Ricardo Mathews has been more productive for the Chargers than Arthur Jones has been for us, to this point. Yes, I'm serious.

No offense, but don't kid yourself.

I have a huge feeling you watch stats only, and look at tackle numbers only. Ricardo Matthews has 7 tackles this year, so he's better because he has 1 more tackle.

Jones has been very good and disruptive when healthy in the first 2 games. Team had a noticable drop-off in the run game after he went out; luckily, RJF stepped up.

I have a huge feeling you watch stats only, and look at tackle numbers only. Ricardo Matthews has 7 tackles this year, so he's better because he has 1 more tackle.

Jones has been very good and disruptive when healthy in the first 2 games. Team had a noticable drop-off in the run game after he went out; luckily, RJF stepped up.

IDC he creates no pressureb

isnt an impact player? He hasnt played since like Week 2. And i dont really judge a player in the first 2 weeks getting used to a new system lol

Correlation ≠ causation. 

Art Jones being in the games the Colts have lost is just a coincidence - nothing more. Art Jones is really good when healthy. It stinks that he's been injured so far this year, but there isn't really much he can do about it.

isnt an impact player? He hasnt played since like Week 2. And i dont really judge a player in the first 2 weeks getting used to a new system lol

Not really a new system -- Jones played under Pagano in Baltimore -- new players, yes -- but Jones should be pretty darn familiar with the schemes and system we run.  He was good in his first 2 weeks, and got hurt last week and played injured.  Otherwise, he hasn't played at all so it is hard to judge, but based on what he did in Baltimore and what I saw in preseason and the first 2 games, I'm confident Jones is our most talented defensive lineman.  Hopefully we get him healthy before too long as he'll be a real asset come post-season.

I don't even know their stats and I don't give a % about tackles for DTs/DEs. I do know that in the Chargers games I've watched I've been very surprised to see Mathews jumping off the screen, meanwhile the few times that Arthur Jones has played he's been invisible (which, admittedly, isn't always a bad thing for defensive lineman).

I'm not saying Mathews is better than Jones, just making a point that we haven't got much out of Arthur Jones so far. I do believe he will show up, however.

Huh??

How many games do you think he's played?

The team has played in 8 games....    32 quarters.

I believe Jones was hurt (high ankle sprain) in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd game (vs. Philly)

That means he's played in no more than 10 quarters -- and that's assuming he played in all 4 of the quarters vs. Pittsburgh.

So, if he didn't play up to your expectations vs. J'Ville, or Tennessee,  or Baltimore,  or Houston,  or Cincinnati -- there's a reason.

He didn't play in those games.

Jones isn't playing this week vs. the Giants.    That's because he's still hurt with his ankle spring.   In short, he came back too soon last week.    He took one for the team and it didn't work out.    He shouldn't have played.

He's played less than a third of the season.   Maybe even closer to 25 percent.    Saying he hasn't done much misses the story line of his season so far........

Not really a new system -- Jones played under Pagano in Baltimore -- new players, yes -- but Jones should be pretty darn familiar with the schemes and system we run.  He was good in his first 2 weeks, and got hurt last week and played injured.  Otherwise, he hasn't played at all so it is hard to judge, but based on what he did in Baltimore and what I saw in preseason and the first 2 games, I'm confident Jones is our most talented defensive lineman.  Hopefully we get him healthy before too long as he'll be a real asset come post-season.

i do too. I really hope he can pressure qbs because Werner was shut down last week...

Wow.... I mean really.... WOW!!!

This thread is awful...   What are you people talking about?  Do you actually watch Colts games?  Jones is a difference maker on the D.  We are MUCH MUCH MUCH better when he is healthy.  We need him and Redding healthy as our DEs come playoff time.

I think the lack of noticing when Jones is out is due in part to how well RJF has played when he filled in. Both men have done what you want them to do which is win the battle up front do your linebackers can make plays, steelers game not with standing.

Agree 100%

Ricardo is a pretty bad backup. It is on the tape. You must be related or a friend. lol

Ricardo was pretty bad for us but he's playing pretty well for the Chargers in his limited snaps. LolzZz.

My whole point was the Chargers are getting more productivity out of Ricardo (a documented below average player) than the Colts have got from their big offseason signing.

My whole point was the Chargers are getting more productivity out of Ricardo (a documented below average player) than the Colts have got from their big offseason signing.

That's because Jones has played just 8-10 quarters this entire season.    Out of 32.

And the last few against Pittsburgh he was still hurt with his ankle sprain.    Which is why he's not playing tonight!

The guy is still hurt and has been hurt most of the season.

That's why we haven't gotten much out of Jones this year.     There's been a good reason.

That's because Jones has played just 8-10 quarters this entire season. Out of 32.

And the last few against Pittsburgh he was still hurt with his ankle sprain. Which is why he's not playing tonight!

The guy is still hurt and has been hurt most of the season.

That's why we haven't gotten much out of Jones this year. There's been a good reason.

True, but I don't think he was particularly great at the start of the season when he was healthy. Like I said, I expect him to be an impact in the long run but as of now I'm disappointed. Missing 6 of 9 games is dissappointing, even if it's out of the players control.

not sure but I think the 3 games we loss Art played and the 6 games we won he played in one.    Art is good yes,but certainly not super or he would still be playing with the ravens.

An excellent and in depth piece of analysis there! :P You'd have to fairly amazingly terrible as a defensive end to single handedly lose games and even that I'm not sure it's possible. 

I'm fairly sure the Ravens would have loved to keep Jones (graded 12th amongst 3-4DEs in 2013) but couldn't afford to. 

An excellent and in depth piece of analysis there! :P You'd have to fairly amazingly terrible as a defensive end to single handedly lose games and even that I'm not sure it's possible**.

I'm fairly sure the Ravens would have loved to keep Jones (graded 12th amongst 3-4DEs in 2013) but couldn't afford to.

**Unless you're JJ Watt

An excellent and in depth piece of analysis there! :P You'd have to fairly amazingly terrible as a defensive end to single handedly lose games and even that I'm not sure it's possible. 

I'm not sure money even came into the equation, I don't think baltimore ever had a chance of re-signing Jones.  He signed with Indy almost within minutes of the start of FA so I think Indy was his #1 choice.  

I'm not sure money even came into the equation, I don't think baltimore ever had a chance of re-signing Jones.  He signed with Indy almost within minutes of the start of FA so I think Indy was his #1 choice.  

Superman might be a better guy for this but I'm sure I had memories of Baltimore needing to free up some cap space this offseason. I don't doubt though that it was a done deal well before FA began. 

Superman might be a better guy for this but I'm sure I had memories of Baltimore needing to free up some cap space this offseason. I don't doubt though that it was a done deal well before FA began.

I think you're both right. The Ravens let good defensive players walk every year, and pretty much everyone knows it's going to happen. Jones was on that list. It's part of their cap strategy.

They had the cap space to keep him if they wanted. But it was never going to happen. He didn't get extended early, which was a signal he was gone, and he and the Colts were basically a pre-arranged marriage.

JJ Watt dismantled us in Week 6, by himself. We still won.

I've never seen a DT be blamed for losses. This is new.

I wouldn't and have never blamed a DT/DE for a loss. It was a bad joke alluding to how good JJ Watt is and how much the Texans depend on him. Plus, they almost did comeback and win vs us and it was largely thanks to Watt's ridiculous performance.

I'm just glad he doesn't play TE as well because he'd probably be a Gronk like TE.

I think you're both right. The Ravens let good defensive players walk every year, and pretty much everyone knows it's going to happen. Jones was on that list. It's part of their cap strategy.

They had the cap space to keep him if they wanted. But it was never going to happen. He didn't get extended early, which was a signal he was gone, and he and the Colts were basically a pre-arranged marriage.

Superman I just want jones at 100% so he can beast allday. This first half been ruff but like I said its still the second half to be played were gone be coming off a bye so he should be good by then be so far he hasn't

Jones ankle was rolled up on in the Steelers game. That's why he's out again. Pagano said it was reinjured. Can't recall if it was in the star or on my Colts app.

If you think Jones isn't a difference maker up front  you better get some new glasses.

He is a great run stuffer. Matthews couldn't carry Arthurs jock strap.

You do realize that in a 3-4 Defense, which the Colts run as their base D, the DTs arent supposed to pressure the QB.  Theyre supposed to eat up line men to allow the LBers to get to the QB.  Just sayin...

I hope someone tells jj watt that he does not know how a base 3 -4 defense works. at least before we play them again. his job is to contain the o-line and quit sacking the qb. jj please read the article on how a base 3-4 works and don't sack luck again. contain , contain, that is your job so the article says. get it jj? coach should fine him for sacking the qb.

I hope someone tells jj watt that he does not know how a base 3 -4 defense works. at least before we play them again. his job is to contain the o-line and quit sacking the qb. jj please read the article on how a base 3-4 works and don't sack luck again. contain , contain, that is your job so the article says. get it jj? coach should fine him for sacking the qb.

someone should also redding and kerr to contain , that is their jobs , not sacks. tell them to contain and the lbs will get the sack in a minute or two

Andrew Luck has been in every game we have lost also the last few years.  Should we just dump him?

Texans and 49ers run a 1-gap 3-4 defense, it is different than the 3-4 that Baltimore and Pittsburgh run. Meanwhile the Ravens ran a 2-gap 4-3 in their 2000 championship year, with Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa both at DT.

Love it when people don't know what they're talking about, yet pretend to be sarcastic and full of themselves in knowledge at the same time.