Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you consider Big Ben a hall of famer?

RockThatBlue

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does a guy who, at his best, has been considered the 3rd or 4th best QB in the league for only a couple of years of his career, be in the Hall?

I think not.

However, I suppose there are less deserving guys already in. So, what do I know.

I've never saw him in any top 5 discussions from any analyst on espn nfl network or any where that does sports

it's been Petyon Brady Brees Rodgers Eli Romo Luck Wilson Kap Rivers but but never Ben .

I've never saw him in any top 5 discussions from any analyst on espn nfl network or any where that does sports

it's been Petyon Brady Brees Rodgers Eli Romo Luck Wilson Kap Rivers but but never Ben .

Yeah, unless something changes for the rest of his career, he may get in, but he really doesn't deserve to.

Not in my eyes.

I think he is. He gets over looked because of the off the field stuff.  I think the he gets  pushed under the rug by the NFL hype machine due to his off the field problems. He was rookie of the year 2004. 

He has been one of the most efficient passers in NFL history. He currently ranks 9th all-time in NFL passer rating (92.6), 5th in yards per attempt (8.06), and 11th in completion percentage (63.24%) among quarterbacks with a minimum of 1,500 career attempts. He has the fourth highest career winning percentage (.710) as a starter in the regular season among quarterbacks with a minimum of 100 starts.

He has the most regular season wins by a rookie QB 13 and was the youngest starting QB to win a Super Bowl second youngest to play in the SB behind Marino. Then you toss in 2 Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP. That is a pretty good resume he has going.

There has been only 1 QB with 2 Super Bowl rings to not get in to the HOF that I know of, Jim Plunkett.  And every QB with 3 or more is in. Eli just might be the next with 2 SB Rings to be left out. Ben I think will sneak in, though.  He's 10 - 4 in post season play, won two Super Bowls, and lost 1. Never had a losing season (3 of them at 8 -8 though).  Only player ever to have two passing games over 500 yards.  I think he's the 4th or 5h player to ever get 100 victories within their first 150 games played. A fair 235 - 125 TD / INT ratio, 63.6 career completion %, and 93.4 career QB rating.  All in 10 1/2 seasons.  If he (and yes, even Eli) gets a third ring, it's slam dunk city a la Troy Aikman style.  Ben's career QB stats a significantly better than Eli's all around. (stats include this years play)

Even with out a third ring, I feel the next few years Big Ben will cement enough quality level stats to sneak in to the Hall 5 years after he calls it quits.

Eventually. I don't think he's a first ballot shoe-in kind of guy. Once he retires, I think we'll look at his career and recognize that he was really good, not elite, never the best in the league, and his first championship came in a season (and a Super Bowl) when he was an accessory, not a major component. Assuming he retires after Manning and Brady and Brees -- he's three years younger than Brees, the youngest of those three -- he'll be looking up at a recent history of first ballot guys who were no-brainers, without off field distractions, better career numbers, had long stretches as the very best in the league, and all have championships.

I am in no way arguing against him being a HOFer. I just don't think his career will be regarded in the same light as the guys who will be up immediately before him, and that might mean that he has to wait a couple years.

There has been only 1 QB with 2 Super Bowl rings to not get in to the HOF that I know of, Jim Plunkett.  And every QB with 3 or more is in. Eli just might be the next with 2 SB Rings to be left out. Ben I think will sneak in, though.  He's 10 - 4 in post season play, won two Super Bowls, and lost 1. Never had a losing season (3 of them at 8 -8 though).  Only player ever to have two passing games over 500 yards.  I think he's the 4th or 5h player to ever get 100 victories within their first 150 games played. A fair 235 - 125 TD / INT ratio, 63.6 career completion %, and 93.4 career QB rating.  All in 10 1/2 seasons.  If he (and yes, even Eli) gets a third ring, it's slam dunk city a la Troy Aikman style.  Ben's career QB stats a significantly better than Eli's all around. (stats include this years play)

Even with out a third ring, I feel the next few years Big Ben will cement enough quality level stats to sneak in to the Hall 5 years after he calls it quits.

It was a different game back then and Aikman's career was cut short but he deserves more respect than being compared to Eli. He played big in big games. Aikman was a hall of fame QB he had a 111.9 QB rating in his 3 Super Bowls. He could spin it. 

No, not even close.  The first championship was won despite him and both championships were won by the defense.

He has only been in the top 5 in yardage or touchdowns once.  He is constantly in the top 5 in sacks because he holds the ball way too long rather than simply throwing it away.  He has only been to two Pro Bowls.

I don't think he's done enough to be a HOF at this point.  But you never know.  If he where to play for a long time it would help his case, that is part of the reason I think that Farve is considered a future HOFer.  

But has he done enough now?  I don't think so.

Good QB, just not that good.

What if he wins a third ring?

I think he gets in if he continues to play into his late 30s but boy the Steelers are not helping him much with the team they have had around him the last few seasons.

Yeah I think the ring discussion is out the window now (Its a poor debate anyway)......Peyton has 1 ring.....Is he going to have to wait or not even get in because of 1 ring?....Roethlisberger has 2....Shall a QB who puts up great numbers through his whole career get punished because his GM and coaches could not put good enough players around him to win a couple rings?

Yeah I think the ring discussion is out the window now (Its a poor debate anyway)......Peyton has 1 ring.....Is he going to have to wait or not even get in because of 1 ring?....Roethlisberger has 2....Shall a QB who puts up great numbers through his whole career get punished because his GM and coaches could not put good enough players around him to win a couple rings?

Judging individuals by number of SB rings is just plain silly, the only indicator it provides is they played on a good team (or a team that got hot at the right time even). 

The nuanced conversation will still always be how well did they play individually and that is always going to be debatable. Really when you get down to it for a player in any sport to labelled the GOAT they either have to be play an individual sport and be miles ahead of their peers in the metrics or if they're part of a team sport it's a consensus thing and even then not everybody will agree. Player X vs Player Y debates are just for fun really because no can really ever "win" them. 

Long story short, using SB rings as metric to measure individual ability is just plain silly, and the talking heads experts who promote this idea should know better. 

Judging individuals by number of SB rings is just plain silly, the only indicator it provides is they played on a good team (or a team that got hot at the right time even). 

The nuanced conversation will still always be how well did they play individually and that is always going to be debatable. Really when you get down to it for a player in any sport to labelled the GOAT they either have to be play an individual sport and be miles ahead of their peers in the metrics or if they're part of a team sport it's a consensus thing and even then not everybody will agree. Player X vs Player Y debates are just for fun really because no can really ever "win" them. 

Long story short, using SB rings as metric to measure individual ability is just plain silly, and the talking heads experts who promote this idea should know better. 

They do know better but its there job to get create controversy and debate...I don't like it...But its true

I think he is. He gets over looked because of the off the field stuff.  I think the he gets  pushed under the rug by the NFL hype machine due to his off the field problems. He was rookie of the year 2004. 

He has been one of the most efficient passers in NFL history. He currently ranks 9th all-time in NFL passer rating (92.6), 5th in yards per attempt (8.06), and 11th in completion percentage (63.24%) among quarterbacks with a minimum of 1,500 career attempts. He has the fourth highest career winning percentage (.710) as a starter in the regular season among quarterbacks with a minimum of 100 starts.

He has the most regular season wins by a rookie QB 13 and was the youngest starting QB to win a Super Bowl second youngest to play in the SB behind Marino. Then you toss in 2 Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP. That is a pretty good resume he has going.

I agree. He belongs in the Hall of the Pretty Good, at this point.

Also, the Steelers didn't win his first SB because of him, and the second I'm not certain they won at all, let along because of him.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys on those two SB teams that won't be in the Hall.

Championships are part of the discussion. A QBs ability to lead his teams to rings is a factor in the HoF as if Ben didn't have two rings and three SB appearances, would we be even discussing him or Eli for that matter? Stats are a team accomplishment too as if Peyton did not have Reggie and Marvin all those years in a climate controlled dome doubt his stats look as good as they do. Everything is judged in totality but really HoF is about being the best or among the best of your generation at your position. This is where I think Ben falls short.

Ben has to have enough playoff appearances and play consistently well enough for the Steelers to make at least 10 playoff appearances in 10 different years, IMO. You can't go 14-2 or 12-4 and 8-8 in several years.

The defense had carried those Steelers in the early Ben years, now he needs to show he can win enough games on his arm and carry the team while it is rebuilding, he has not shown that ability to do so consistently. That is what is keeping him from the HOF, IMO.

2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011 so far for playoff appearances for Big Ben in 10 years. He needs to at least get his team to the playoffs another 4 times to add credibility to his 2 rings. If he does that, he would be a first ballot. Otherwise, he has a chance second ballot.

Same case with Eli too.

Much as I hate the Steelers, if Namath is in, he should be in. Two Super Bowl rings.

Namath in the HOF is a joke, IMO. It was probably decided more because of the historical significance of an AFC win propelling the AFC as a legit conference across the NFC.

It was a different game back then and Aikman's career was cut short but he deserves more respect than being compared to Eli. He played big in big games. Aikman was a hall of fame QB he had a 111.9 QB rating in his 3 Super Bowls. He could spin it. 

Not disparagng Aikman.  look up Eli's 8 games in post season 2007 and 2011.  Pretty good showing himself.  During toughest time and competition.  So Eli over the long haul has shown areas and seasons less than stellar, decent in others.  And  - he's also risen to top levels, notably in crunch time.  That's why a third getting will cement the deal for him.  Ben will sneak in at some point even without a 3rd ring.

His volume stats are, kind of surprisingly, up there and I think they'll be good enough, given his other accomplishments, to get him in. Not a slam-dunk first ballot guy necessarily, but he's better than a lot of guys who are there now (granted, from different eras). I'd take him over Eli based on the fact that in his "down" years, Eli has looked downright awful at times. 

Championships absolutely factor in... sorry but that's fact, not opinion. Would Montana be in the Hall on the merits of his stats and regular season performances alone? Maybe, but he wouldn't be regarded as highly as he is today.

There's no formula for this, every player's legacy is unique. Some are about production, some are about post-season accomplishments, some are a little of both. But to say that a player's jewelry (specifically those big gaudy rings) doesn't or shouldn't factor in is - no disrespect for diverging opinions - very far from the truth. I'm sure the people who actually do the voting would agree with me here. 

What if he wins a third ring?

I think he gets in if he continues to play into his late 30s but boy the Steelers are not helping him much with the team they have had around him the last few seasons.

I just do not know how you could hold any QB out with 3 rings.  You can't in good consciousness do that  and in the same breath say Elway is a GOAT candidate and Marino really is not. Just because the Broncos found a way to get Elway two rings at the very end of his career, where the Dolphins did not.  QB's are more measured by rings than any other player/position on the gridiron. At least Marino is recognized in the Hall, but almost never as a GOAT.

And why Elway's is bent on getting Peyton another Ring or two...  (Plus, Elway gets them himself, in another capacity) He knows too.

Namath in the HOF is a joke, IMO. It was probably decided more because of the historical significance of an AFC win propelling the AFC as a legit conference across the NFC.

I agree, Namath being in is a joke. The Baltimore Colts should have won game easily. They took it

lightly and sent that braggart into immortality, and the HOF. Still the worst loss in Baltimore history, and since you inherited it, Indy history. One of the worst losses of all time.

Championships are part of the discussion. A QBs ability to lead his teams to rings is a factor in the HoF as if Ben didn't have two rings and three SB appearances, would we be even discussing him or Eli for that matter? Stats are a team accomplishment too as if Peyton did not have Reggie and Marvin all those years in a climate controlled dome doubt his stats look as good as they do. Everything is judged in totality but really HoF is about being the best or among the best of your generation at your position. This is where I think Ben falls short.

There are a lot of factors why some great QB's could not lead there teams to SB wins....Marino never had the defense as an example yet he is in the HoF...Its not on the QB if your GM cant put talent around him on both side of the ball to get the job done.......Have you seen what Mannings been doing outside that dome? Ben has the 3rd most passing yards since coming into the league in 2004 and the 5TH most td passes...He also only trail, P Manning,,,Brady...and Brees in game winning drives ALL TIME

There are a lot of factors why some great QB's could not lead there teams to SB wins....Marino never had the defense as an example yet he is in the HoF...Its not on the QB if your GM cant put talent around him on both side of the ball to get the job done.......Have you seen what Mannings been doing outside that dome? Ben has the 3rd most passing yards since coming into the league in 2004 and the 5TH most td passes...He also only trail, P Manning,,,Brady...and Brees in game winning drives ALL TIME

I think you are missing the point. I am not saying that rings are the sole factor but they are a factor and a big one in the HoF. There are countless guys that are there without rings but there are also many there that would not be there without the rings. It is a PART of the criteria. I am not sure how you can deny that.