Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy fans should be pulling for the Pats next weekend

GoPats

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still have hope for the Chiefs to take out the Broncos. I think they are a great team and can pull it off in Kansas City at their home. But yes, we all know Broncos cant be stopped. However we have to fight the Patriots for the 2nd seed because they are hardly beatable at home in the playoffs. Broncos are beatable at home...

That's not aiming low, but nice cheap shot. This entire thread is framed in such a way to try to force Colts fans and Manning fans to declare their allegiance for one side or the other. It smelled kind of funny to begin with.

Oh, burn...

This suggests that I was smart enough to predict your reactions... we both know that's not true. ;-)

I was curious, given the AFC landscape, to see how people felt about it. You guys benefit either way, but to me, I would still be pulling for the top seed with just 3 losses. 13-3 could get it done. And the Pats have a tough stretch coming up and aren't going to win all of them.

Yes, this has been explained many times in this thread, although I had a pretty firm grasp of it prior to.

Crazy me, I was actually thinking you guys may be eyeing the top seed... didn't realize that you've all already settled for hypothetical second best in the conference. ;)

We don't control No.1 but we do for No.2 :)

Oh, burn...

This suggests that I was smart enough to predict your reactions... we both know that's not true. ;-)

I was curious, given the AFC landscape, to see how people felt about it. You guys benefit either way, but to me, I would still be pulling for the top seed with just 3 losses. 13-3 could get it done. And the Pats have a tough stretch coming up and aren't going to win all of them.

I don't think it suggests anything about your predictive ability. I think the question paints all responders into a box. And it's only relevant on a Colts board. The Steelers don't care about whether Manning beats the Pats, but I bet they understand probability.

And that's kind of the bottom line. The probability is pretty slim that the Broncos lose 3 of 9 and the Colts win out. Pinning hopes to that scenario doesn't make a lot of sense.

All the other stuff is auxiliary. 

I would rather (considering only the teams in discussion):

1. Play the Broncos at home. ('cause I've seen us beat them)

2. Play the Pats at home. (though I've not)

3. Play the Broncos in Denver.

4. Play the Pats in NE. 

I like Peyton, but he's a Bronco now, and I hate the Broncos as much as anyone ('cept the Bears & Steelers).

So, I couldn't care less who wins this match up.

Let the chips fall as they may.

You know, and then I'll feel completely differently come game time.

Anything can happen, here on out.

Heck, Romo may have just suffered a season/career ending injury.

Anything can happen, here on out.

Heck, Romo may have just suffered a season/career ending injury.

He forced his way back out on the field. He already fumbled. Now he's been sitting awhile, and they're getting the ball back. Let's see if he can move.

And Weeden was playing well...

Playoff seeding???

Playoff seeding???

(in best Jim Mora voice)

I just hope the Colts can win their division...

haha  Good 1 Buck start small & never bite off more than 1 can chew. Crawl, before you run...Playoff positioning is a bit hasty to think about right now. 

Why does it make a difference? This Colts team is one and done anyway.

Ouch man...With that throw in the towel attitude, why even finish the regular season Dustin? Go down swinging/fighting I always say. 

I am rooting for a meteor.

Like Halley's commet with a tail or just a flash of light & life is over as we know it? Should I bring a telescope or not Jules? At least tell me a cool crater is left when it hits the ground as a grand finale. 

Cue the 1812 Overture Finale...Just kidding! If I'm gonna perish, fire off some cannons 1st. Thanks. Yes I know, SW1 has a flair for the dramatic. 

http://youtu.be/Xos60guCmIg?t=2m44s 

Not just any team. A team that has gone 13-3 the past two years, that was in the Super Bowl last year, is playing really good football, etc. Again, I'm just talking about probability, and the idea that the Broncos go 6-3 and the Colts go 8-0 is far-fetched.

That's not aiming low, but nice cheap shot. This entire thread is framed in such a way to try to force Colts fans and Manning fans to declare their allegiance for one side or the other. It smelled kind of funny to begin with.

Anyways, like I said, while the top seed would be nice, I don't think it's likely, whether the Broncos beat the Pats or not. The 2 seed is much more attainable, and getting it is easier if the Broncos beat the Pats. Plus the obvious satisfaction of seeing Manning beat the Patriots. Call it what you want.

It is actually a great question precisely because it divides allegiances. At least you are man enough to admit your love for Manning. I have a tough time believing any Colts fan would ever vote for Brady to beat Manning no matter the stakes.

NE for sure. We can beat the broncos and we have before, and almost did this season. With Luck, we have yet to defeat the patriots.

I have to say, I'm very surprised that so many here think the Colts have no chance at Gillette but they would be able to just waltz into Denver and take care of business simply because they beat them before in Indy. Especially since just a few weeks ago 95% of this board already dug the Patriots' grave and were just waiting to fill the hole with dirt. 

Regardless, hopefully this one lives up to the hype, ill be there and I know what team ill be rooting for!

I have to say, I'm very surprised that so many here think the Colts have no chance at Gillette but they would be able to just waltz into Denver and take care of business simply because they beat them before in Indy. Especially since just a few weeks ago 95% of this board already dug the Patriots' grave and were just waiting to fill the hole with dirt. 

Regardless, hopefully this one lives up to the hype, ill be there and I know what team ill be rooting for!

Pats have owned Indy historically and Luck has not fared well at all in his two times playing the Pats. If I was a Colts fan, I would rather Denver too even in Denver as Manning has the penchant for blowing the big games especially when heavily favored as he would be vs the Colts if they do meet up in the post-season ... and I would also favor Luck in poor weather conditions as well if the weather was like it was two years ago when Denver played the Ravens.

I don't know, ever since Peyton went down the whole patriots colts rivalry went to heck. Don't get me wrong I still hate the patriots, but it's more of a respectful hate... As for the Denver broncos... It's just hate.

Level of hate as follows:

Chargers,

Steelers,

Broncos,

Patriots.

Then the division rivals.

But that's just me.

Agreed.

It makes sense for the Colts to root for Patriots.

Pats have a brutal schedule coming up. I have them going 2-3 in the next 5 games. I think we'll definitely beat them because we'll be playing at home.

If we want ANY chance at the 1st seed Denver has to lose here and hope that Chargers/Chiefs beat them when they go on the road.

Pats have owned Indy historically and Luck has not fared well at all in his two times playing the Pats. If I was a Colts fan, I would rather Denver too even in Denver as Manning has the penchant for blowing the big games especially when heavily favored as he would be vs the Colts if they do meet up in the post-season ... and I would also favor Luck in poor weather conditions as well if the weather was like it was two years ago when Denver played the Ravens.

Someone who gets it as to why the Colts would prefer to play the Broncos in the playoffs on the road over the Patriots.

It is a vicious circle whose elements of positive records historically are - Patriots over Colts, Colts over Broncos, Broncos over Patriots, Patriots over Chargers, Chargers over Colts

I don't think it suggests anything about your predictive ability. I think the question paints all responders into a box. And it's only relevant on a Colts board. The Steelers don't care about whether Manning beats the Pats, but I bet they understand probability.

And that's kind of the bottom line. The probability is pretty slim that the Broncos lose 3 of 9 and the Colts win out. Pinning hopes to that scenario doesn't make a lot of sense.

All the other stuff is auxiliary. 

Well yes, of course the question is more relevant here. That's why I started the thread. But if you feel "painted in a corner" that's you being a little too sensitive, my friend. We're talking about football here, it's not that complicated, and there's no "right" answer (as evidenced by the responses of some posters who agree with me). 

We're talking about rooting interests, not probability. I realize it's unlikely that the Colts will get the top seed. But if being a fan was based on probability instead of emotion and attachment, sports would be boring.

My intent was not to get anyone PO'd here, so... last word on that. 

Agreed.

It makes sense for the Colts to root for Patriots.

Pats have a brutal schedule coming up. I have them going 2-3 in the next 5 games. I think we'll definitely beat them because we'll be playing at home.

If we want ANY chance at the 1st seed Denver has to lose here and hope that Chargers/Chiefs beat them when they go on the road.

That's what I think only a few are seeing. 

Patriots have to go TO Indy, TO San Diego, TO Green Bay... very tough road slate coming up. 

The Broncos have six of their remaining nine games on the road. 

This is way more wide open still than people are seeing it. 

Someone who gets it as to why the Colts would prefer to play the Broncos in the playoffs on the road over the Patriots.

It is a vicious circle whose elements of positive records historically are - Patriots over Colts, Colts over Broncos, Broncos over Patriots, Patriots over Chargers, Chargers over Colts

Ah yes, the "rock/scissors/paper" thing... so true! 

I do see that. I also see that a lot of Indy fans are more confident against a Manning-led team in the playoffs (even if that team is potentially going to be 15-1). If only Denver would sign Vanderjagt. Someone needs to scour the dive bars for the drunken * kicker! 

Well yes, of course the question is more relevant here. That's why I started the thread. But if you feel "painted in a corner" that's you being a little too sensitive, my friend. We're talking about football here, it's not that complicated, and there's no "right" answer (as evidenced by the responses of some posters who agree with me). 

We're talking about rooting interests, not probability. I realize it's unlikely that the Colts will get the top seed. But if being a fan was based on probability instead of emotion and attachment, sports would be boring.

My intent was not to get anyone PO'd here, so... last word on that. 

You haven't upset me. I'm not being sensitive. It's just as I said, the topic puts Colts fans and Manning fans in a position where they have to make a declaration. It's not me trying to find some hidden meaning. This is surface level stuff.

And you are absolutely talking about probability. The probability of the Colts getting the 1 seed goes up if the Broncos lose to the Pats, slightly. If you're only talking about rooting interests, then it's of no surprise when someone who has been a Manning fan for the better part of two decades still enjoys seeing him beat the Patriots. 

You haven't upset me. I'm not being sensitive. It's just as I said, the topic puts Colts fans and Manning fans in a position where they have to make a declaration. It's not me trying to find some hidden meaning. This is surface level stuff.

Cool. Just making sure you know there was no nefarious intent here. 

For a Colts fan to cheer for New England is a sin for which there is no hell hot enough. May the good earth perish in to dust before any Colts fan so much as thinks about committing the ultimate blasphemy. Would getting beat by the likes of Brady be better than former Colt great, his majesty Sir Peyton Manning? What say ye lads and ladies?

Cool. Just making sure you know there was no nefarious intent here. 

For a Colts fan to cheer for New England is a sin for which there is no hell hot enough. May the good earth perish in to dust before any Colts fan so much as thinks about committing the ultimate blasphemy. Would getting beat by the likes of Brady be better than former Colt great, his majesty Sir Peyton Manning? What say ye lads and ladies?

All this talk of wickedness, darn nation, & the underworld fires below makes me realize why I love this Colts/Patriots rivalry so much...It's not spawned out of vile hatred just bragging rights like a villain & a hero who love the thrill of the hunt & never really wanting to stop chasing the other one. It's all either side has ever known & there is a twisted sense of competitive comfort in that for both teams that won't be dwindling or declining anytime soon. 

It is actually a great question precisely because it divides allegiances. At least you are man enough to admit your love for Manning. I have a tough time believing any Colts fan would ever vote for Brady to beat Manning no matter the stakes.

I do like Brady. I won't lie about that. But rooting against the man who put INDY on the proverbial map & brought home a Championship, nope I just can't do it. It's like slamming 1 of the original forefathers who built a nation from the ground up. The historian inside of me cannot dismiss what 18 has meant to this organization. Yes, Luck is our QB right now, but if INDY can't be in the SB, I immediately fall into Manning lockstep like a involuntary reflex. 

Yes, NE has in large part to Luck turning the ball over too much at Foxboro anyway. I usually don't put much stock in homefield advantage, but at this point, maybe a change of scenery after our Pittsburgh pounding will be a breath of fresh air. Go home, regroup, & cut down on the picks.

Sidenote: WR Brandon LaFell is quite the new weapon in Brady's arsenal. He is a beast man who tore through the Bear's secondary. I'm very impressed with LaFell even more than Gronk's return to form actually. 

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/10/27/brandon-lafell-now-one-patriots-top-targets/v07V2QRaE0olFNG26dtGLJ/story.html

Oh yeah, Colts o-line can we minimize the false start penalties too please? Nothing ticks me off more than moving early in our own stadium. There's no darn excuse for it ever especially now with pass rusher Chandler Jones out, but Akeem Ayers is reeking some nice havoc in Boston for your squad. I will acknowledge that. 

Oh please. If I higher seeding was at stake I don't think many colts fans would root for the broncos.

I do.

If the Broncos losing meant the Colts get the 2 seed instead of the 3 seed, sure. But those kind of scenarios only come up in late December, not in Week 9. And the league always schedules Manning v. Brady around this time of year. Playoff seeding is the furthest thing from anyone's mind.

If the Broncos losing meant the Colts get the 2 seed instead of the 3 seed, sure. But those kind of scenarios only come up in late December, not in Week 9. And the league always schedules Manning v. Brady around this time of year. Playoff seeding is the furthest thing from anyone's mind.

But this match up goes a long way in determining the 1,2 and 3 seeds. Every game in the NFL has significance especially a match up between the current 1 and 2 seeds.

Where does one cast their ballot to vote for peyton or Brady?