Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coyer Has Been Fired (Merge)

Peyton and Eli fan

The Indianapolis Colts have made an organizational decision to relieve Larry Coyer of his duties as defensive coordinator and have assigned Mike Murphy to the position.*

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts have made an organizational decision to relieve Larry Coyer of his duties as defensive coordinator and have assigned Mike Murphy to the position.

“The move was made to improve communication and production,” said Head Coach Jim Caldwell. “We feel this is the most effective and realistic way to move forward and win games this season. We appreciate all of the effort and hard work Larry Coyer put forth in his three years with the Colts.”

Murphy is in his 27th season as an NFL coach and 14th year with the Colts as the team’s linebackers coach prior to being elevated to defensive coordinator.

http://direct.colts....ive-coordinator use trhis link & then link in the blog on same for original article

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point of this comment? He hired him, and now he's firing him. That's what managers do. What would people say if he HADN'T been fired - that Polian was refusing to admit he made a mistake because of his ego?

hand picked at caldwells requestr

The Indianapolis Colts have made an organizational decision to relieve Larry Coyer of his duties as defensive coordinator and have assigned Mike Murphy to the position.*

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts have made an organizational decision to relieve Larry Coyer of his duties as defensive coordinator and have assigned Mike Murphy to the position.

“The move was made to improve communication and production,” said Head Coach Jim Caldwell. “We feel this is the most effective and realistic way to move forward and win games this season. We appreciate all of the effort and hard work Larry Coyer put forth in his three years with the Colts.”

Murphy is in his 27th season as an NFL coach and 14th year with the Colts as the team’s linebackers coach prior to being elevated to defensive coordinator.

http://www.colts.com/news-and-events/article-1/COLTS-RELIEVE-COYER-...

Another pathetic showing from our front office. The fact that we canned the Coyer and the Polians and Caldwell are still here is simply amazing. They all have their equal share in this mess. The Polians built a sub par team minus the GOAT, and Caldwell is not an NFL caliber head coach. Who made that decision? The Polians!!! Ding, ding, ding! Who threw away four million dollars of your money on the worst QB free agency pick-up ever Jim? The Polians!!!

They have drafted with a C-F grade since they have been here. The only year I would consider an A is the Peyton Manning year. A small undersized soft team that failed to get the greatest to ever play only one championship. The equivalent would be Michael Jordan only winning one. It's preposterous. With a half way decent team Indy wins the last three Super Bowls. Don't blame the injury thing either. GB had more players on injury than we did. This is simply a talent issue and we have drafted poorly and have made terrible personnel decisions.

Sorry until Polian is gone, we are screwed. And even after that we might be screwed unless Manning finishes his contract.

Another pathetic showing from our front office. The fact that we canned the Coyer and the Polians and Caldwell are still here is simply amazing. They all have their equal share in this mess. The Polians built a sub par team minus the GOAT, and Caldwell is not an NFL caliber head coach. Who made that decision? The Polians!!! Ding, ding, ding! Who threw away four million dollars of your money on the worst QB free agency pick-up ever Jim? The Polians!!!

They have drafted with a C-F grade since they have been here. The only year I would consider an A is the Peyton Manning year. A small undersized soft team that failed to get the greatest to ever play only one championship. The equivalent would be Michael Jordan only winning one. It's preposterous. With a half way decent team Indy wins the last three Super Bowls. Don't blame the injury thing either. GB had more players on injury than we did. This is simply a talent issue and we have drafted poorly and have made terrible personnel decisions.

Sorry until Polian is gone, we are screwed. And even after that we might be screwed unless Manning finishes his contract.

Well put.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR:

According to Michael Lombardi (when interviewed on the NFL network), Coyer didn't get along with the Colts because he wanted an aggressive/complex "get after the QB" defense with multiple blitz packages similar to what he developed in Denver but, the Colts wanted to keep a "Cover(Tampa) 2" based defense.

He said, there wasn't any particular coach that wanted the "Cover 2" but it was an organizational philosophy; and that Coyer is glad to get out-of-there.

He ended stating the obvious: " no coach is going to come in and make a difference, this team has a bunch of personnel issues that will have to be resolved during the off season."

This makes complete and total sense. We got a glimpse of what type of D Coyer wanted to run in 2009 where, prior to injury, our D was playing good enough for us to win a Superbowl - we pressed, we blitzed at opportune times ..granted not everything worked (eg stunting and majority of the blitzes) but at least he was willing to TRY to add new wrinkles rather than just play the same predictable, passive style of exclusive zone D that we've become accustomed to

I never got the impression that Coyer was ever able to run the type of D he wanted, whether because of injury, not having the type of personnel to run his D (none of our LBers were any good at blitzing and the style of D he wanted to run requires good man-to-man corners who can press) or because of some higher, overriding insistence from above to play a specific style of D. What little glimpse of Coyer's potential as DC pretty much ended after the Superbowl

The Coyer I thought we were getting was the Coyer I saw completely shut down and torment Tom Brady in the 2005 season play-off game where Coyer threw the kitchen sink at Brady. I remember at one point he had everyone at the line of scrimmage, guys wandering around like those amoeba Ds and generally being crafty. I thought we were getting that DC.

If there's any truth to the notion that Coyer was denied running the type of D he wanted to, then Bill Polian should be held accountable for meddling with and sabotaging the team through his own insistence on coaching and personnel choices. I know we're in the midst of a losing season, but amidst all the "un-named sources" and "insider" rumblings, a very unpleasant picture seems to be taking shape in terms of how things are done within the Colts organization

Caldwell next, Caldwell next. I'm tired of his terrible decision making(lack of), and his blank stare..........................................................hello, show some emotion.

Its not the lack of emotion that I have a problem with. Plenty of calm coaches are good. My problem is the lack of creativity and seems to coach on auto pilot. I don't want a auto pilot, I want an ace dogfighting pilot.

That is exactly why I have wanted Polian gone for a long time now. People were quick to credit Polian for all our winning seasons but I think we're finding out it was way more Manning than Polian. Polian has had like forever to fix the defensive side of the ball but his ego won't let him change his own philosophies that flat out haven't worked. Peyton would have 2 or 3 rings right now if we would have made defensive adjustments long ago.

Don't get me wrong I like Polian in some aspects BUT he needs to stay out of the "schemes and philosophies " department. Just hire a good coach and let him do his job. Help him find players that fits his system that will be affordable.

I am so thankful that those in charge of the Colts franchise have a better grasp on reality and how a football team on the pro level is ran and are not running around like chicken little and acting like the above poster is. This whole idea that the success this franchise has had is only due to just 1 player is probably one of the funniest things I have ever read. It is just another case of where fans react with limited information and knowledge of the game.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR:

According to Michael Lombardi (when interviewed on the NFL network), Coyer didn't get along with the Colts because he wanted an aggressive/complex "get after the QB" defense with multiple blitz packages similar to what he developed in Denver but, the Colts wanted to keep a "Cover(Tampa) 2" based defense.

He said, there wasn't any particular coach that wanted the "Cover 2" but it was an organizational philosophy; and that Coyer is glad to get out-of-there.

He ended stating the obvious: " no coach is going to come in and make a difference, this team has a bunch of personnel issues that will have to be resolved during the off season."

Sure Coyer is going to spout off he just got fired. I would never take anything someone said as gospel truth since he just got let go. JMO of course but in my years of working I worked in personnel and have heard a lot of things when people get fired. rotfl They always think they didn't do anything wrong it was the company. Even when they got caught stealing from the company wasn't their fault. haha

Sure Coyer is going to spout off he just got fired. I would never take anything someone said as gospel truth since he just got let go. JMO of course but in my years of working I worked in personnel and have heard a lot of things when people get fired. rotfl They always think they didn't do anything wrong it was the company. Even when they got caught stealing from the company wasn't their fault. haha

Or maybe he is saying these things because he couldn't say them while he was still working for the team.

Its not the lack of emotion that I have a problem with. Plenty of calm coaches are good. My problem is the lack of creativity and seems to coach on auto pilot. I don't want a auto pilot, I want an ace dogfighting pilot.

Once u have Peyton Manning it's better to have an auto pilot who does not disturb him. Once there is no Peyton the coach had better improve his game on his own.

Do you think a coach like Sean Payton can be a good combination with Manning? Can they be equally or more productive compared with the Payton-Brees combo?

I am so thankful that those in charge of the Colts franchise have a better grasp on reality and how a football team on the pro level is ran and are not running around like chicken little and acting like the above poster is. This whole idea that the success this franchise has had is only due to just 1 player is probably one of the funniest things I have ever read. It is just another case of where fans react with limited information and knowledge of the game.

Well to be honest, the only reason the franchise has had success is because of Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning isn't just one player, he's the greatest player of all time.

Polian has made horrible decisions over the last few years and Caldwell is not fit to be a head coach.

This is just a random thought, but Tressel would make a good DC (Or even head coach) next year.

Why would Tressel become the DC when he specializes in Offense lol.... if what Larry Coyer said is true then i wanna see what the colts do on defense.

Once u have Peyton Manning it's better to have an auto pilot who does not disturb him. Once there is no Peyton the coach had better improve his game on his own.

Do you think a coach like Sean Payton can be a good combination with Manning? Can they be equally or more productive compared with the Payton-Brees combo?

If we had Sean Payton, wow, just wow. Peyton would have broken every passing record by now. We would have probably won that sb. So much could be better with that. And we'd be in better shape this year too with Payton. Payton would have had a say in the talent department too and we wouldn't have Painter or some of the other scrubs on our team.

Why on earth would Les want to take this job? He makes like 4 million a year at one of the best College jobs in the country. Talk abotu a GIANT step down going to a coordinator making 20% of your current salary.

crap the way LSU is playing id take Les as the HC

Hello there Bill come to mingle with the sewer rats?

Coyer may not have been the problem, but he was certainly NOT proving to be the solution. Outside of his first year, this defense has been bad at best and horrible at worst. I don't know who would be the best replacement, but I'm open to any of the following:

Jack Del Rio - his defenses have always been stout. The Jags were always a tough "W" and it's just just because of Pocket Hercules. The Jags defense has not been bad and were solid against Baltimore earlier this year.

Winston Moss - This guy looks like a future DC or HC. I know this is reaching WAY out of the organization but I think this is the way to go.

Are you kidding. He's a great defensive coach. Its his offensive coaching that was suspect.

Would love to see NE pick him up and relieve BB some of those duties.

I concur that he'd be a real good pick up for NE, but can we try out Pepper Johnson? PLEASE!?!?

From what I've read from a lot of the players and coaches who know him, he's incredibly smart and commands the respect of his players. I'd love to see him get a chance in Indy as a DC.

Is that you Bill?

Caldwell next, Caldwell next. I'm tired of his terrible decision making(lack of), and his blank stare..........................................................hello, show some emotion.

People need to stop using Caldwell's lack of emotion when it comes to him not being suitable for being a head coach. Sure, he can show some emotion and it would be great if he could get his guys fired up, but there's a point where it's to much. Jim Swartz is an example. He's way to emotional and lacks self control at times as evidence by the Jim Harbaugh situation. He has coached one of the most talented DT of the last decade in Nndamikon Suh into being an insane, violence seeking filthy football player. Suh didn't show these warning signs in college, they've only started to develop in the past 2 years and especially this year with the Lions. If I remember right, Swartz was also the D-line coach when he was with the Titans of another very talented DT who is labeled a dirty player, Albert Haynesworth.

Tony Dungy has blamed the lack of self control on the Lions coaching staff. He said they haven't done enough to stop him from turning into a dirty player.

OP -- YES! It's about time, this organization is waking up, now thye have to get rid of the * behind the main headset. Now, with Coyer gone we could use less of Tampa 2 going forward, and maybe now the new guy will use our best players to their upmost potential instead of just using certain abilities from them. Stupid Larry, happy he's gone!