Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coyer Has Been Fired (Merge)

Peyton and Eli fan

Trust me, no move is made in Colt land that BP doesn't sign off on even at this point.

No.. i will not trust you, BP is not the top gun in this outfit anymore... he has passed that on to his son CP who's a quiet dude compared to his dad, but im sure he's gonna start being more vocal as soon as his dad fully retires.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Epstein first interned with the Orioles in the summer of '92, then did that the next two summers. Summer internship. He's in law school this whole time, by the way. He later became a PR guy for the Padres. From '97-'01 he was the Padres director of baseball operations (not the GM, not the president of baseball operations, but a departmental head). in 2002, he become the GM of the Red Sox. That's ten years since his first internship. Not even a full ten years in the business. In 2004, the Red Sox are winning their first World Series in 86 years. That's two years in, and just twelve years after his first baseball job.

The only reason I brought Epstein up is because you basically said Chris Polian's eleven years in the business aren't really enough to know the business and be a GM. I don't know what benchmark you'd like to set, but if Epstein can be a GM in ten years, how come Chris Polian can't be? He learned the business from his dad. There's likely some nepotism involved, that Irsay has enabled. That's NOT ideal, and honestly, I have no idea whether we have the best guy available taking the reins, which is the reason I brought up the Dungy-Caldwell successorship.

But you've basically decided that Chris Polian should NOT be the GM because he's taking over for his dad. I don't see any reason why we're knocking Chris Polian. I like what he's done so far, assuming that he's the main guy behind the past offseason. I'm willing to see what he comes up with going forward, rather than deciding he needs to be pushed out the door because we're 0-11.

Theo Epstein wasn't hired to his dad's team. Tell me why the Red Sox would hire him if he's in his in his 30's? It's because they thought he could become a good GM. Your completely missing the point that the Red Sox thought that Epstein was the best man for the job. If Chris Polian is the best guy for the colts GM job then why wouldn't other teams be trying to get him before he became the GM of the colts?

too late to read through 8 pages, but are we looking at Del Rio as a replacement?

Probably not in the middle of the season and frankly that's going to be a call made by whoever the HC is next year rather it be Caldwell or someone else. Frankly I doubt Del Rio would commit himself to a DC job or next year without seeing what all comes open this off-season. He might find a better job some place else (someone else might give him a shot at being a HC at a college or something or he could get a DC job with a friend or something). Also I doubt he would take a job not knowing who the HC is going to be next year. Say Caldwell brings him and then we fire Caldwell well DC don't normally last when a head coach change is made and the new guy we hire might not like Del Rio either. It's in his best interest to wait and see what happens.

Vice Chairman rules over the general manager. The GM does most of the day to day operations, but not without the Vice Chairman's approval. They would have made Chris Polian president if he is in complete charge like you say.

Yes a President is higher than a GM, which BP is BUT as Vice Chairman all he can do is be an advisor, he cannot make decisions when it comes to salary, drafting and other things like that when it comes to the players "which we are talking about", that is the job of a GM which his son is... soon CP will be president when his dad FULLY retires which could be next year who knows.. but BP does not have the say when it comes to getting players.

A title is just the thing they slap on your business card and on your office door. Definitions of tasks and responsibilities can vary enormously - especially in a small privately held business like the Colts. The only thing that we know for sure is that Jim Irsay has complete autonomy and ultimate responsibility. Who he delegates tasks too, and what he calls the people who do those tasks we can only deduced from what they tell us.

And based on that, we can be confident that more and more operational responsibility has been shifted to CP, and that BP is edging towards retirement. Common sense suggests that it's about a guy in his late 60's not wanting to work as many hours as previously (and wanting his son to succeed), not about someone having authority stripped away from him. It's not reasonable to assume that he "can't do" something. He's still the highest ranked employee in the company.

Theo Epstein wasn't hired to his dad's team. Tell me why the Red Sox would hire him if he's in his in his 30's? It's because they thought he could become a good GM. Your completely missing the point that the Red Sox thought that Epstein was the best man for the job. If Chris Polian is the best guy for the colts GM job then why wouldn't other teams be trying to get him before he became the GM of the colts?

I brought up Epstein because you said eleven years isn't long enough. He's an example of why that's not true.

And Chris Polian has been interviewed by other teams for managerial positions. Chiefs come to mind immediately.

I don't know that he is the best man for the job but I'm not going to assume that he's completely unqualified and incapable, like you, and undermine what experience he does have. I'm going to judge him by his record, which only goes back to the draft.

I brought up Epstein because you said eleven years isn't long enough. He's an example of why that's not true.

And Chris Polian has been interviewed by other teams for managerial positions. Chiefs come to mind immediately.

I don't know that he is the best man for the job but I'm not going to assume that he's completely unqualified and incapable, like you, and undermine what experience he does have. I'm going to judge him by his record, which only goes back to the draft.

I know Chris Polian has been interviewed by other teams, but did he get the job or was he offered the job? From what I've heard, no.

Like I said there are unique cases like Theo Epstein who are very good at there job, or at least I guess he is I don't really follow the Red Sox though. Epstein deserved the job based on what he was able to accomplish and the Red Sox believed that he could accomplish that.

I never said that Chris Polian is incapable of being a GM, just not qualified. Why should I be confident that he knows exactly what he is doing? It would be great if he turned into a great GM like his dad, Bill Polian, but being an NFL GM is not easy.

We also don't really know how much experience he has. It's hard to tell because the colts haven't released very much information lately.

• 5 weeks later...

Have you seen BP's track record when it comes to drafting QB's? THAT IS WHY the colts got peyton because when it comes to QB talent BP knows his stuff... you cant just bring in any Joe Blow just because you brung someone in the year before you got the 1 overall draft pick... if a Owner did that he would be dubbed as someone having the mindset of a elementary school kid.. It doesnt work that way thankfully... Chris Polian has done a great job, and if you look at they way he is going about things he seems to be different from his farther.

Um, we got Peyton because we had the no.1 pick, because previous regime got us that pick, we hired Polian, his first pick, Manning with the no.1 pick. See, now the previous regime would be the polians, and we have the number 1 pick. The owner already did that.

I haven't seen anything good outta Chris yet, and who is Farther???

Colts got peyton because BP chose peyton over leaf.. thats why the colts got peyton.. if BP went for leaf then the colts wouldnt have got peyton. And i meant father when i said farther... if you havent seen the good things chirs has done yet you havent been paying attention to the offseason at all.

Ok, as far as the Leaf over Manning debate, who would you pick, you have two guys that look pretty good, one of them has a father that played in the league and the kid grew up with the NFL. Pretty much was bred to be in the league, real hard choice there.

Secondly, you haven't even said one good thing Chris has done, and yes I did pay attention to the off-season, note, that is past tense off-season, as in done and over with, I know, I know, I'm in denial too, but we have actually been playing in regular season for sometime now, and yet to win a game.

Again, these are just my mindless thoughtless views, its not like it means anything, but please, don't act like I'm not paying attention to the team I've supported probably longer than you've been alive, and have spent thousands of dollars in tickets, jerseys, and travel to support them.

Bred, you know has more awareness of how things will go down, how things work. Your saying that's not an advantage.

Jury is still very much out on this draft. Constant injuries, not saying its his fault (polian) but there is much to be determined. Also have you seen our defense play??? We could have 11 1st rounder out there, but if there playing like they are, doesn't really matter.

I'm not saying the samething is gonna happen. I was saying the last time we had the first round pick we got rid of the regime that lead us to that pick and let a new GM in. It does happen, it did happen, that is football. And like I said, I respect your views, but mine is simply, we got the first pick because we stink, Why not give some new GM a chance. Whats the worse that could happen, we go 0-16, oh wait... nevermind

See told you it happens!! Time to get to work!