Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coyer Has Been Fired (Merge)

Peyton and Eli fan

11 years is not a long time at all, especially to go from a low position all the way to the general manager. Do you believe that Chris Polian could go from the scouting director to the general manager of any other NFL team in 11 years? I doubt that he could which is why I am not confident in him.

Hmmm... job requirements to be an NFL GM... Running a successful team efficiently. That can be done multiple ways, but as long as they are winning, stable, and in control then that's about it.

I know it's not football, but Theo Epstien who was in his early 30's I believe was hired to be the GM of the Boston Red Sox and he seemed to do a pretty good job. I have no idea what is involved with being a NFL GM, and Chris Polian may not have what it takes to be a successful one, only time will tell, but to say he shouldn't have the job just because he is young and only has 11 years of experience in teh NFL in mag't isn't fair. Matt Millen was a great college player a pretty good NFL player had years of knowledge of the sport, yet sucked as a GM. Look at the HC of TB, he had nearly zero experience in coaching and was named the TB head coach and they have done pretty well under his leadership. I believe the issue isn't experience with Chris Polian, it's his last name.....

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Polian is still in charge of this team. He is Chris Polian's boss.

And what do I mean how did Chris got his job? I mean, "How did Chris get his job." He hasn't proven anything that he should be the GM so far. How did he go from scouting director in 1998 to GM in 11 years? There's no way he earned it straight through job performance is what I'm saying.

Ok first of all BP is not in charge its all CP

Second how do you know and what makes you think chris polian hasnt proven he should be a GM? you wouldnt know unless your inside the colts organisation.. yes CP got this job due to a big part that his dad was once the GM but that should be no surprise... and with what he has done he has done a pretty good job so far for a GM, this 0-11 team isnt because he is a GM or that he "reportetedly fired dom anile a "supposedly" great personnel guru" the colts are 0-11 because they dont have peyton manning and never had any backup plan... with his first draft class and the FA's he got id rate him as a B+ right now... the injuries you cant help.

Do you wanna know who is gonna get the job when Jim Irsay retires? his daughter Casey and the wife of AJ Foyt IV... idk if they are qualified but thats just the way it is these days.

Second how do you know and what makes you think chris polian hasnt proven he should be a GM? you wouldnt know unless your inside the colts organisation.. yes CP got this job due to a big part that his dad was once the GM but that should be no surprise... and with what he has done he has done a pretty good job so far for a GM, this 0-11 team isnt because he is a GM or that he "reportetedly fired dom anile a "supposedly" great personnel guru" the colts are 0-11 because they dont have peyton manning and never had any backup plan... with his first draft class and the FA's he got id rate him as a B+ right now... the injuries you cant help.

Do you wanna know who is gonna get the job when Jim Irsay retires? his daughter Casey and the wife of AJ Foyt IV... idk if they are qualified but thats just the way it is these days.

I think Bill will have a say in the direction of the franchise over the next season or so, but over time I think Chris will take more and more control..

I think Bill will have a say in the direction of the franchise over the next season or so, but over time I think Chris will take more and more control..

I doubt it, CP has been making decisions since they drafted tony ugoh... he has complete say as a GM, yea BP will probably advise him to do something but like most sons they have their own mindset... this coming off season i highly doubt BP to have much of a say in much... he's retiring.

How do you evaluate a person's ability to run a successful team efficiently if you haven't given them the opportunity to do it? I don't think that's how you judge whether to make someone a GM or not.

I kind of think you've decided that it's nepotism, and nothing else. Maybe. I'm just saying the situation is what it is, now. Chris Polian is the GM. I think we did a good job this past offseason, when all indications have been that Chris Polian has been the numero uno for the first time. And if you like what we did this offseason, then why get rid of him just because you don't like how he got his job? Maybe we didn't hire right, but that doesn't mean he can't do the job. If you ask me, he's done a good job in what seems to be his first season as THE guy.

You don't just give random people the opportunity to be the GM. I haven't gotten a chance yet to be the GM of the colts, but does that mean I ever will? Probably not. You get to become the GM if you perform well in several areas over an extended period of time. I don't think that 11 years is enough for Chris and it's hard to tell if he earned his way to the top or if he just got there through promotions from his dad. I hope that Bill Polian wouldn't do that, but how can you really tell unless you work for the colts and watch what goes on everyday?

I doubt it, CP has been making decisions since they drafted tony ugoh... he has complete say as a GM, yea BP will probably advise him to do something but like most sons they have their own mindset... this coming off season i highly doubt BP to have much of a say in much... he's retiring.

Vice Chairman rules over general manager, bam, it's as simple as that.

Vice Chairman rules over general manager, bam, it's as simple as that.

"Vice Chairman title on its own usually has only an advisory role and not an operational one"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_title

It is what it is... if Bill Polian wasnt ready to step down he wouldnt have.. like i said before BP is retiring and he has no say in what the colts do, he can only advise.. this is BUSINESS first so ppls "status" matter

I am continually baffled by people who are just looking at this season and wanting to make massive changes off of one bad season. Yes we may not win a game...so what, there is no pattern of horribleness in anything that the mag't team here has done over the past decade. How about we get some more data like a couple of bad seasons before jumping off the bridge so to speak.

Caldwell isn't worth the risk of a 2nd bad season and has done enough losing for 2 seasons in 1.

There's just no upside with him anymore, everyone is used to the fact Dungy isn't here anymore and that Caldwell is no Dungy. Its pretty evident that he has lost this team.

"Vice Chairman title on its own usually has only an advisory role and not an operational one"

http://en.wikipedia....Corporate_title

It is what it is... if Bill Polian wasnt ready to step down he wouldnt have.. like i said before BP is retiring and he has no say in what the colts do, he can only advise.. this is BUSINESS first so ppls "status" matter

You must not have read up on it. Vice Chairman rules over the general manager. The GM does most of the day to day operations, but not without the Vice Chairman's approval. They would have made Chris Polian president if he is in complete charge like you say.

You must not have read up on it. Vice Chairman rules over the general manager. The GM does most of the day to day operations, but not without the Vice Chairman's approval. They would have made Chris Polian president if he is in complete charge like you say.

Yes a President is higher than a GM, which BP is BUT as Vice Chairman all he can do is be an advisor, he cannot make decisions when it comes to salary, drafting and other things like that when it comes to the players "which we are talking about", that is the job of a GM which his son is... soon CP will be president when his dad FULLY retires which could be next year who knows.. but BP does not have the say when it comes to getting players.

You don't just give random people the opportunity to be the GM. I haven't gotten a chance yet to be the GM of the colts, but does that mean I ever will? Probably not. You get to become the GM if you perform well in several areas over an extended period of time. I don't think that 11 years is enough for Chris and it's hard to tell if he earned his way to the top or if he just got there through promotions from his dad. I hope that Bill Polian wouldn't do that, but how can you really tell unless you work for the colts and watch what goes on everyday?

It's not random for Chris Polian to get the job. If you don't think he's earned his stripes, that's one thing, but again, how can you tell unless you watch goes on every day?

I don't think there's any benchmark for how long you need to be a part of an organization and be involved in the personnel side before you "qualify" to be the GM. I don't really see what's wrong with 11 years. Theo Epstein was 28 when he was made GM of the Red Sox. He'd started as a PR guy for the Padres just seven years earlier. He was working under Larry Luchino for a few seasons. All of a sudden, he's the head honcho. So what's wrong with Chris Polian being with the Colts for 11 years?

Nepotism is one thing. But then assuming that he has absolutely no business being the GM is another thing. I don't know what's wrong with what he's done so far, honestly.

This is really not news though. I expected that part to take, it's nerve regeneration that is the crux of the biscuit.

This is exactly right. I never doubted that the surgically repaired area would heal. The nerve is what I am worried about. It's good to know that the surgery was successful but I wouldn't read too much into this. I want to wait and hear what Manning has to say about it and see if there is going to be any kind of a timetable but I'm betting he still has a long way to.

There's more from another site:

"Peyton will now be allowed to increase the intensity and breadth of his workouts as tolerated. There remains every indication that his recovery will continue."

http://www.kffl.com/...ng-rehab-update

I agree with some of the other posters that this isn't exactly a statement about regaining strength in the triceps, but doesn't the doctor go out on a limb a little bit saying things like "...his expected return to game action..."

He can increase his rehabilitation program, which is progress. Better then nothing. :shrug:

Regarding Coyer and his defense... he claimed that the Colts organization did not want him to use exotic blitzes and that the Colts philosophy was to focus on a traditional cover 2.

I guess we will see if he was tellling the truth by the way the defense plays this week. If the defensive philosophy really is to be strictly a cover 2 team, then he may be right. However, if we see a lot of blitzes this week, then we will know that he was saying that to save face, and lobby for another coordinator job in the future.

Trust me, no move is made in Colt land that BP doesn't sign off on even at this point.

Caldwell isn't worth the risk of a 2nd bad season and has done enough losing for 2 seasons in 1.

There's just no upside with him anymore, everyone is used to the fact Dungy isn't here anymore and that Caldwell is no Dungy. Its pretty evident that he has lost this team.

People keep saying he has "lost" the team...I don't see it, they still battle week in and week out. Caldwell may not be the best coach in the NFL but even if the Colts go 0-16 I have no problem with him getting another season.

Chris Polian spent 11 years working his way up through one of the most successful NFL organizations in football. Heck the HC of the Bucs spent like just 3 seasons total in pro football and was given the HC position. Josh McDaniels has how many years in the NFL and has been both a OC and HC already. Exactly how many years does someone have to spend in football to be qualified to be a GM?

Chris Polian spent 11 years working his way up through one of the most successful NFL organizations in football. Heck the HC of the Bucs spent like just 3 seasons total in pro football and was given the HC position. Josh McDaniels has how many years in the NFL and has been both a OC and HC already. Exactly how many years does someone have to spend in football to be qualified to be a GM?

Use example that help prove you case. The only organization that Chris Polian has gone up through has been the colts. Josh McDaniels was fired as head coach of the Broncos.

It's not random for Chris Polian to get the job. If you don't think he's earned his stripes, that's one thing, but again, how can you tell unless you watch goes on every day?

I don't think there's any benchmark for how long you need to be a part of an organization and be involved in the personnel side before you "qualify" to be the GM. I don't really see what's wrong with 11 years. Theo Epstein was 28 when he was made GM of the Red Sox. He'd started as a PR guy for the Padres just seven years earlier. He was working under Larry Luchino for a few seasons. All of a sudden, he's the head honcho. So what's wrong with Chris Polian being with the Colts for 11 years?

Nepotism is one thing. But then assuming that he has absolutely no business being the GM is another thing. I don't know what's wrong with what he's done so far, honestly.

Theo Epstein worked for the Padres before he was with the Red Sox. Young people can become GM's if they prove that they can do it.

Use example that help prove you case. The only organization that Chris Polian has gone up through has been the colts. Josh McDaniels was fired as head coach of the Broncos.

True, but he was the OC at NE and I believe is now the OC at another team and isn't even yet to his mid 30's. If he is so bad why does he have a job?

Theo Epstein worked for the Padres before he was with the Red Sox. Young people can become GM's if they prove that they can do it.

Epstein first interned with the Orioles in the summer of '92, then did that the next two summers. Summer internship. He's in law school this whole time, by the way. He later became a PR guy for the Padres. From '97-'01 he was the Padres director of baseball operations (not the GM, not the president of baseball operations, but a departmental head). in 2002, he become the GM of the Red Sox. That's ten years since his first internship. Not even a full ten years in the business. In 2004, the Red Sox are winning their first World Series in 86 years. That's two years in, and just twelve years after his first baseball job.

The only reason I brought Epstein up is because you basically said Chris Polian's eleven years in the business aren't really enough to know the business and be a GM. I don't know what benchmark you'd like to set, but if Epstein can be a GM in ten years, how come Chris Polian can't be? He learned the business from his dad. There's likely some nepotism involved, that Irsay has enabled. That's NOT ideal, and honestly, I have no idea whether we have the best guy available taking the reins, which is the reason I brought up the Dungy-Caldwell successorship.

But you've basically decided that Chris Polian should NOT be the GM because he's taking over for his dad. I don't see any reason why we're knocking Chris Polian. I like what he's done so far, assuming that he's the main guy behind the past offseason. I'm willing to see what he comes up with going forward, rather than deciding he needs to be pushed out the door because we're 0-11.