Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coyer Has Been Fired (Merge)

Peyton and Eli fan

True. Firing Coyer was a good first step. Next to go should be the rest of the coaching staff. If we are going to a new system and new personnel as Polian said on hks radio show,we need to get rid of this defensive scheme. I hope whoever is the new head coach brings in Steve Spagnuolo (provided he is fired as expected) to be the new DC.Right now I have no idea whether to fire Coyer was a good first step, or simply after now that we have almost locked in the #1 draft pick, we now need a scapegoat. Who can say that the coaches were on there on in making decisions about this team. From all I have read and seen, which means nothing as I dont really know nothing except for the problem I have that if BP is as smart as a bunch of posters on this forum says he is, then I think it all is going according to plan.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So whats going to change.

Maybe he won't be as stupid as Coyer and play Tampa 2 90% of the time... his gameplans will probably be better as he has more experience with the Colts and knows what works and what doesn't. Like I said, I have a feeling he'll do well.

Maybe he won't be as stupid as Coyer and play Tampa 2 90% of the time... his gameplans will probably be better as he has more experience with the Colts and knows what works and what doesn't. Like I said, I have a feeling he'll do well.

the sad truth is that coyer was fired for wanting to blitz more n have exotic looks. Colts want to run more cover 2 and focus on the fundamentals. At least this is what i heard so far. I hope they do change things.

when has this system really ever worked well in the last 8 years. show numbers when we have been top ten in any catagory for two years straight.

when has this system really ever worked well in the last 8 years. show numbers when we have been top ten in any catagory for two years straight.

2006 the pass defense was second in the NFl during the regular season and the best defense in the playoffs.

2nd pass defense in 2002, 8th in total yards

2003 - 11th total yards, 5th pass defense

2005 - 11th total yards, 15th pass defense, 16th rush defense

2006 - 2nd pass defense, best defense during playoffs

2007 - 3rd total yards, 2nd best pass defense, 15th rush defense

2008 - 6th pass defense, 11th total yards (weird pattern)

2009 - 14th pass defense

2010, 2011 were bad years

Recently, the D has been bad, but during the Dungy/Caldwell era, both use the same defensive scheme, most of those years have been good years. Is that good enough for you?

the sad truth is that coyer was fired for wanting to blitz more n have exotic looks. Colts want to run more cover 2 and focus on the fundamentals. At least this is what i heard so far. I hope they do change things.

They wanted to run Cover 2? Most of the time they play Tampa 2, which is a variation of Cover 2...

From what Coyer said he had wanted to blitz and stunt more and Polian wouldn't let him

Coyer should have never been hired in the first place. I guess we accepted the fact that he will play cover 2 with vanilla schemes.

This new guy better blitz in key spots, surprise blitzes, play more man to man in key situations, bring the house on 3rd downs when needed. He better look at the rest of the league and watch how defense should be played. Most important thing is , he better win our players trust and respect.

I wonder if Polian's meddling had something to do with Moore and Mudd both retiring and then joining up with other teams the next year.

I doubt it. Both wanted to retire when the NFL made a change effecting their pensions. Both came back at "Senior" jobs, with such title preceding their old one. Of course, people were then moved to their old job titles, and I imagine it ultimately became too many chefs in the kitchen. If anything, I personally think Polian did it right in attempting to accommodate the changes the NFL made to their pensions. I'm not sure what else could have been done to accommodate them, but I think that was perhaps a fair effort.

The parallel only works if there is reason to believe that Caldwell is personally loyal to Coyer, as Mora was to Fangio. Where is it written that a coach must stand by his staff regardless of the cost. It's his job to put the best assistants in place. If it isn't working, move on.

He played for him in the 70's. Of course he is personally loyal. I said it was interesting, nothing more. But it is a parallel.

Cant Believe they would keep Caldwell, when they fired the ranting MORA for going 6-10. man 6-10 and you lose your job, but 0-16 and you keep it?

Mora last three seasons went 13-3, 10-6, 6-10.... caldwell last three seasons goes... 14-2, 10-6, 0-16 and keeps his job? that is simply amazing.

It's not really amazing. Mora was fired after the season. Most teams wait until then, unless there is a decent candidate on the staff to take over, especially when teams are doing hideously. Rod Marinelli was allowed to fulfill his 0-16 destiny. In season head coach firings are the exception and not the rule.

He played for him in the 70's. Of course he is personally loyal. I said it was interesting, nothing more. But it is a parallel.

Your right. I didn't realize that at the time I responded. There is a price to be paid in hiring old friends.

By the way, I just read this morning that Fangio is the DC for the 49ers! You have to laugh. Not that I want him back - I understand why he was fired - but it certainly reinforces the idea that "the scheme" is largely irrelevant. The Colts switched to the Tampa 2 so they could free up money for the offense, and it worked. As long as Peyton was in there.

Cant Believe they would keep Caldwell, when they fired the ranting MORA for going 6-10. man 6-10 and you lose your job, but 0-16 and you keep it?

Mora last three seasons went 13-3, 10-6, 6-10.... caldwell last three seasons goes... 14-2, 10-6, 0-16 and keeps his job? that is simply amazing.

Mora was fired because he refused to make changes on his staff per the request of Mag't. My guess is that Caldwell might be more willing to go along with the changes in coaching staff that Polian wants and thus will be back next year.

Hopefully it won't be any of Polian's business anymore.

I just don't see Irsay removing either Polian. Bill has more then a steller track record at running NFL teams. As long as he is around I don't see his son going anywhere while Bill is still around. I think Irsay knows he has to make a few changes to appease the ranting fans, which he did do this week and will probably add another coach at season end, but it's not in Irsay's DNA to make wholesale changes after just 1 bad season with your top player never player.

I just don't see Irsay removing either Polian. Bill has more then a steller track record at running NFL teams. As long as he is around I don't see his son going anywhere while Bill is still around. I think Irsay knows he has to make a few changes to appease the ranting fans, which he did do this week and will probably add another coach at season end, but it's not in Irsay's DNA to make wholesale changes after just 1 bad season with your top player never player.

0-11 is more than just a bad season. It means that something has gone fundamentally wrong in the last few years with the choices that the front office and coaching staff had made. I don't trust Chris Polian, but I trust Bill Polian because of his great track record with the colts. Chris hasn't really proven anything and that worries me a bit.

The problems with the coaching staff are that this team is better than 0-11. We are not the worst team in the leauge talent wise, so there's no excuse for going 0-11.

0-11 is more than just a bad season. It means that something has gone fundamentally wrong in the last few years with the choices that the front office and coaching staff had made. I don't trust Chris Polian, but I trust Bill Polian because of his great track record with the colts. Chris hasn't really proven anything and that worries me a bit.

The problems with the coaching staff are that this team is better than 0-11. We are not the worst team in the leauge talent wise, so there's no excuse for going 0-11.

As long as you have an offense that can't score, can't control the clock and causes your team to play from behind you are going to struggle. This whole franchise is built on the idea of the offense putting up points and making the other team play a certain way. At no point this season has our offense done anything. The reason is simple, we had Peyton, which made having a backup QB pointless basically and didn't allow the team to review the talent of said backup. Part of that blame is on Peyton and part on the coaches for not getting the backup playing time when possible.

There are few teams in the NFL with "quality" backup QB's. Playing that position is the toughest in sports, then you add in the style of offense the Colts play makes it near impossible for someone who never players and has limited abilities to come in and do well.

As long as you have an offense that can't score, can't control the clock and causes your team to play from behind you are going to struggle. This whole franchise is built on the idea of the offense putting up points and making the other team play a certain way. At no point this season has our offense done anything. The reason is simple, we had Peyton, which made having a backup QB pointless basically and didn't allow the team to review the talent of said backup. Part of that blame is on Peyton and part on the coaches for not getting the backup playing time when possible.

There are few teams in the NFL with "quality" backup QB's. Playing that position is the toughest in sports, then you add in the style of offense the Colts play makes it near impossible for someone who never players and has limited abilities to come in and do well.

Curtis Painter is good enough to have 1 win by now, and that's on the coaches.

Curtis Painter is good enough to have 1 win by now, and that's on the coaches.

Really, which game? I mean they guy is horrible, he would struggle in the USFL, UFL, the WWE league or Arena ball. He is not capable of completing passes, moving the chains or anything.

Finally a move has been made!!! def. unPolian-like, hopefully Irsay has had enough and this is just the start... Wasn't expecting any moves till the off-season, hopefully Polians are next.

I dont get it, what has chris polian done to justify that he should be gone? if anything fans should be praising him after all he is the GM whos actually making the decisions... 1st with the draft picks, FA's, Now this... BP is probably the one who needs to stop butting in but his son has done very well so far.

I dont get it, what has chris polian done to justify that he should be gone? if anything fans should be praising him after all he is the GM whos actually making the decisions... 1st with the draft picks, FA's, Now this... BP is probably the one who needs to stop butting in but his son has done very well so far.

Well I respect your opinion, but 0-11 in my mind, just my train of thought here, is not a good thing. So even though it won't happen, I still hope that we will be without the Polians next year, and don't see why we should award them the first overall pick. The last time we had that pick we had just brought in a new GM to right the ship that the previous regime had left us in, and that worked out well, seems like we should do the samething again.

Well I respect your opinion, but 0-11 in my mind, just my train of thought here, is not a good thing. So even though it won't happen, I still hope that we will be without the Polians next year, and don't see why we should award them the first overall pick. The last time we had that pick we had just brought in a new GM to right the ship that the previous regime had left us in, and that worked out well, seems like we should do the samething again.

I am continually baffled by people who are just looking at this season and wanting to make massive changes off of one bad season. Yes we may not win a game...so what, there is no pattern of horribleness in anything that the mag't team here has done over the past decade. How about we get some more data like a couple of bad seasons before jumping off the bridge so to speak.

From what Coyer said he had wanted to blitz and stunt more and Polian wouldn't let him

That seems strange to me. Coyer's blitzes the past two seasons have been highly ineffective. I like the changes he made in 2009, but nothing he's done has worked since then. He went completely vanilla in the Super Bowl, of all games, and that seriously hurt our chances in that game. If he really wanted to be more aggressive, it would seem like he would have quit and gone to work for a team that would let him call his own plays, especially after the way Brees carved us up in the Super Bowl. I don't think I'd just sit back and take the blame for a gameplan that's not even mine.

Anyways, the defensive scheme has been nonsensical on too many occasions to list. I would hope that Mike Murphy, being a linebackers coach, is going to want to use his primary unit (and the best unit on the defense this season) to do more than just drop into flare zones on first down. I would think he knows the strengths and limitations of Conner, Angerer and Wheeler better than anyone else on the staff, including in man coverage, and would be willing to break the mold a little bit. I don't care what kind of blitzes he calls. I think the single biggest change that can be made at this point is to run more man coverage without 8 yard cushions. Redirect receivers off the line, throw off the timing, allow the line to create pressure, and you'll see sacks go up and completion percentages come down. You can still play zone, and you can still play conservative defense. But you have to stop babying the secondary. Hopefully Murphy makes those minor adjustments, and we do a little better defensively.

I am continually baffled by people who are just looking at this season and wanting to make massive changes off of one bad season. Yes we may not win a game...so what, there is no pattern of horribleness in anything that the mag't team here has done over the past decade. How about we get some more data like a couple of bad seasons before jumping off the bridge so to speak.

again, that was a reply to someone who replied to what I originally said. It is of my views and was not directed towards you. If I feel like running around in circles, as always happens with you, I'll simply hold a baseball bat to the ground, stick my forehead on it and spin around till I puke.

In some people's defense, they have been calling for Polian's head for several seasons now. It really got loud in Week 16 of 2009. I don't agree with them, for the most part, but it's not just this season that there's been an anti-Polian sentiment. There's an anti-Polian sentiment after every loss on the message boards.

I think it is fairly clear evidence that Polian is way past his prime. What he has done all decade is not as relevant as what he has done recently. The man is nearly 70 years old.