Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coyer Has Been Fired (Merge)

Peyton and Eli fan

In some people's defense, they have been calling for Polian's head for several seasons now. It really got loud in Week 16 of 2009. I don't agree with them, for the most part, but it's not just this season that there's been an anti-Polian sentiment. There's an anti-Polian sentiment after every loss on the message boards.

From what I have read here and other places, the whole issue with Polian comes from 2 basic things. First and foremost is what happen in 2009 when he and the coaches decided to sit players in game 15 and 16. For some reasons some fans feel they were cheated out of something. Second is how Polian conducts interviews and his show. Fans feel like he is lying to them or talking down to them. He is doing both, but it's not a big deal. His job is to put a winning team on the field, nothing more nothing less and he has done that at a great rate then just about anyone else in the NFL ever has. That is what they seem to forget.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is fairly clear evidence that Polian is way past his prime. What he has done all decade is not as relevant as what he has done recently. The man is nearly 70 years old.

So he is 70 years old? Also lets look at the past two seasons before this one. Both saw the Colts win their division, and make 1 SB, not bad if you ask me. Also Bill is brining in his son to take over which is a work in progress but you can't really complain to much about this past draft which I think was a combo team effort with Bill and Chris.

So he is 70 years old? Also lets look at the past two seasons before this one. Both saw the Colts win their division, and make 1 SB, not bad if you ask me. Also Bill is brining in his son to take over which is a work in progress but you can't really complain to much about this past draft which I think was a combo team effort with Bill and Chris.

Once again I see no evidence that he had much to do with either season other than quitting the perfect season.

Those seasons were successful because of Manning far more than Polian. This season shows what the team is actually like without Manning.

As for this draft it still leaves a lot to be seen. It is hard to get excited about a draft when almost none of the players is on the field week in and week out.

Well I respect your opinion, but 0-11 in my mind, just my train of thought here, is not a good thing. So even though it won't happen, I still hope that we will be without the Polians next year, and don't see why we should award them the first overall pick. The last time we had that pick we had just brought in a new GM to right the ship that the previous regime had left us in, and that worked out well, seems like we should do the samething again.

Have you seen BP's track record when it comes to drafting QB's? THAT IS WHY the colts got peyton because when it comes to QB talent BP knows his stuff... you cant just bring in any Joe Blow just because you brung someone in the year before you got the 1 overall draft pick... if a Owner did that he would be dubbed as someone having the mindset of a elementary school kid.. It doesnt work that way thankfully... Chris Polian has done a great job, and if you look at they way he is going about things he seems to be different from his farther.

Well I respect your opinion, but 0-11 in my mind, just my train of thought here, is not a good thing. So even though it won't happen, I still hope that we will be without the Polians next year, and don't see why we should award them the first overall pick. The last time we had that pick we had just brought in a new GM to right the ship that the previous regime had left us in, and that worked out well, seems like we should do the samething again.

again, that was a reply to someone who replied to what I originally said. It is of my views and was not directed towards you. If I feel like running around in circles, as always happens with you, I'll simply hold a baseball bat to the ground, stick my forehead on it and spin around till I puke.

Painter's junior year at Purdue-29 touchdown passes & 296 ypg ave.

Just cause the guy has one bad year, joe colt's fan wants to write him off...

DSCF8879.JPG

Have you seen BP's track record when it comes to drafting QB's? THAT IS WHY the colts got peyton because when it comes to QB talent BP knows his stuff... you cant just bring in any Joe Blow just because you brung someone in the year before you got the 1 overall draft pick... if a Owner did that he would be dubbed as someone having the mindset of a elementary school kid.. It doesnt work that way thankfully... Chris Polian has done a great job, and if you look at they way he is going about things he seems to be different from his farther.

Um, we got Peyton because we had the no.1 pick, because previous regime got us that pick, we hired Polian, his first pick, Manning with the no.1 pick. See, now the previous regime would be the polians, and we have the number 1 pick. The owner already did that.

I haven't seen anything good outta Chris yet, and who is Farther???

I am continually baffled by people who are just looking at this season and wanting to make massive changes off of one bad season. Yes we may not win a game...so what, there is no pattern of horribleness in anything that the mag't team here has done over the past decade. How about we get some more data like a couple of bad seasons before jumping off the bridge so to speak.

I am continually baffled by Joe Colt Fan who is just looking at this season. Yes we may not win a game...so what, there is no pattern of horribleness in anything that Curtis Painter has done over the past decade. How about we get some more data like a couple of bad seasons before jumping off the bridge so to speak...

One bad year is all we have to go by.

He has been in the NFL for 3 seasons...

My point is that he DID produce at Purdue... Joe Colt Fan says the guy can not produce, but he did in college, albeit it was the Big Ten... He was drafted by a genius who Joe Colt Fan says should be exempt any responsibility for a WINLESS season due to past performance....

Um, we got Peyton because we had the no.1 pick, because previous regime got us that pick, we hired Polian, his first pick, Manning with the no.1 pick. See, now the previous regime would be the polians, and we have the number 1 pick. The owner already did that.

I haven't seen anything good outta Chris yet, and who is Farther???

Colts got peyton because BP chose peyton over leaf.. thats why the colts got peyton.. if BP went for leaf then the colts wouldnt have got peyton. And i meant father when i said farther... if you havent seen the good things chirs has done yet you havent been paying attention to the offseason at all.

Really, which game? I mean they guy is horrible, he would struggle in the USFL, UFL, the WWE league or Arena ball. He is not capable of completing passes, moving the chains or anything.

All nine except Texas and New Orleans....

You been watching any games this year????

All nine except Texas and New Orleans....

You been watching any games this year????

What I have been watching is one of the worse NFL players at a key position in all of the 40+ years that I have been watching pro football. Curtis wasn't very good in college, an average player at best who had a couple nice outings, but he is NOT NFL material in any sense. He can't look off recievers, his passes are not very catchable and if not for YATC in a few of his passes this season we would have even a lower point scored total then we do. Our running game has improved, I think our offense line is getting better, but as long as you have no talent at QB, you are not going to win in this league.

He has been in the NFL for 3 seasons...

My point is that he DID produce at Purdue... Joe Colt Fan says the guy can not produce, but he did in college, albeit it was the Big Ten... He was drafted by a genius who Joe Colt Fan says should be exempt any responsibility for a WINLESS season due to past performance....

He was average at best at Purdue and played in the Big Ten. Exactly how well did Purdue do during his tenure? How many BCS games did Purdue go to? How many upper level bowl games did he lead them to? And yes it was a horrible decision to draft him and keep him. No GM or Coach always makes the right decision and sadly this poor decision has been costly.

Colts got peyton because BP chose peyton over leaf.. thats why the colts got peyton.. if BP went for leaf then the colts wouldnt have got peyton. And i meant father when i said farther... if you havent seen the good things chirs has done yet you havent been paying attention to the offseason at all.

Ok, as far as the Leaf over Manning debate, who would you pick, you have two guys that look pretty good, one of them has a father that played in the league and the kid grew up with the NFL. Pretty much was bred to be in the league, real hard choice there.

Secondly, you haven't even said one good thing Chris has done, and yes I did pay attention to the off-season, note, that is past tense off-season, as in done and over with, I know, I know, I'm in denial too, but we have actually been playing in regular season for sometime now, and yet to win a game.

Again, these are just my mindless thoughtless views, its not like it means anything, but please, don't act like I'm not paying attention to the team I've supported probably longer than you've been alive, and have spent thousands of dollars in tickets, jerseys, and travel to support them.

No GM or Coach always makes the right decision and sadly this poor decision has been costly.

WHAT???

poor decisions... Just look at the Colts past decade, Colts have won sooo much I mean so much, that no one can be making bad decisions. Especially drafting Painter???

Go & look at Polians RESUME...

Bad decisions...

really...

WHAT???

poor decisions... Just look at the Colts past decade, Colts have won sooo much I mean so much, that no one can be making bad decisions. Especially drafting Painter???

Go & look at Polians RESUME...

Bad decisions...

really...

Yelp, everyone makes bad decisions, look at the Mighty Bill B. in NE, he has been making a number of bad choices also in the past couple of seasons, yet that doesn't mean he isn't a good NFL coach/gmish guy. What you try to do is limit your blunders the best you can and for the most part Bill Polian has, but it doesn't mean he hasn't made a few.

Yelp, everyone makes bad decisions, look at the Mighty Bill B. in NE, he has been making a number of bad choices also in the past couple of seasons, yet that doesn't mean he isn't a good NFL coach/gmish guy. What you try to do is limit your blunders the best you can and for the most part Bill Polian has, but it doesn't mean he hasn't made a few.

Polian does not make mistakes...

Look at his RESUME...

Jack Del rio for defensive coordinator. Let him pick players with attitude. Fisher could be a sparkplug for this team as headcoach. Father and son duo of Polian inc. need to find another team to mess with. Find some up and commer in the pittsburg or greenbay organization to be a GM. Keep Manning and draft Landry Jones. He is tough and could be the next Bert Jones.

Ok, as far as the Leaf over Manning debate, who would you pick, you have two guys that look pretty good, one of them has a father that played in the league and the kid grew up with the NFL. Pretty much was bred to be in the league, real hard choice there.

Secondly, you haven't even said one good thing Chris has done, and yes I did pay attention to the off-season, note, that is past tense off-season, as in done and over with, I know, I know, I'm in denial too, but we have actually been playing in regular season for sometime now, and yet to win a game.

Again, these are just my mindless thoughtless views, its not like it means anything, but please, don't act like I'm not paying attention to the team I've supported probably longer than you've been alive, and have spent thousands of dollars in tickets, jerseys, and travel to support them.

You cant be bred to play in the league mate, if that was the case peyton would have been a horrible QB cause his dad was no superstar... Ryan Leaf looked MUCH better than peyton coming out of college and anyone can tell you that.. but BP studied both tapes and then made his decision.

If you did pay attention to the colts offseason like you say you would have noticed that the colts first drafted a much bigger RB than they usually do, much bigger OL than they usually do, got a steal in the 3rd round with Nevis... dipped their hands into FA getting 4 former 1st round draft picks ON DEFENSE!! on the team with 3 still reamining and very cheap.. so tell me how is that not good?

Im not gonna debate whos the biggest fan here, BUT you thinking that just because you got the 1st overall pick one year and got a new GM, the same thing is gonna happen the next time you get the 1st overall pick does not help your case because thats just now how football works.

Really, which game? I mean they guy is horrible, he would struggle in the USFL, UFL, the WWE league or Arena ball. He is not capable of completing passes, moving the chains or anything.

This couldn't be farther from the truth... he has played well in several games. Kansas City and Tampa Bay to name a couple.

I dont get it, what has chris polian done to justify that he should be gone? if anything fans should be praising him after all he is the GM whos actually making the decisions... 1st with the draft picks, FA's, Now this... BP is probably the one who needs to stop butting in but his son has done very well so far.

The real question should be, "What has Chris Polian done to justify that he should be here?" How did he get his job? Is he even in charge right now? There are so many questions...

You cant be bred to play in the league mate, if that was the case peyton would have been a horrible QB cause his dad was no superstar... Ryan Leaf looked MUCH better than peyton coming out of college and anyone can tell you that.. but BP studied both tapes and then made his decision.

If you did pay attention to the colts offseason like you say you would have noticed that the colts first drafted a much bigger RB than they usually do, much bigger OL than they usually do, got a steal in the 3rd round with Nevis... dipped their hands into FA getting 4 former 1st round draft picks ON DEFENSE!! on the team with 3 still reamining and very cheap.. so tell me how is that not good?

Im not gonna debate whos the biggest fan here, BUT you thinking that just because you got the 1st overall pick one year and got a new GM, the same thing is gonna happen the next time you get the 1st overall pick does not help your case because thats just now how football works.

Bred, you know has more awareness of how things will go down, how things work. Your saying that's not an advantage.

Jury is still very much out on this draft. Constant injuries, not saying its his fault (polian) but there is much to be determined. Also have you seen our defense play??? We could have 11 1st rounder out there, but if there playing like they are, doesn't really matter.

I'm not saying the samething is gonna happen. I was saying the last time we had the first round pick we got rid of the regime that lead us to that pick and let a new GM in. It does happen, it did happen, that is football. And like I said, I respect your views, but mine is simply, we got the first pick because we stink, Why not give some new GM a chance. Whats the worse that could happen, we go 0-16, oh wait... nevermind

The real question should be, "What has Chris Polian done to justify that he should be here?" How did he get his job? Is he even in charge right now? There are so many questions...

What do you mean what has he done to justify that he should be here? this is his first year as a GM, and he got his job by his dad... who do you think is gonna get to be the owner when Irsay steps down? its not just gonna be anyone.. its gonna be someone in his family.. and Irsay himself has said that when peyton retires thats when he is gonna give it to that person... i cant remember who it is but its family as well... and yes Chris Polian is in charge of this team... this isnt any type of dictator ship... CP was the one who made the draft picks and got the FA's so yes he is the guy... his dad is just a loud speaker.

There is no question to who is in infact the GM its CP and it has been for a while now.

Bred, you know has more awareness of how things will go down, how things work. Your saying that's not an advantage.

Jury is still very much out on this draft. Constant injuries, not saying its his fault (polian) but there is much to be determined. Also have you seen our defense play??? We could have 11 1st rounder out there, but if there playing like they are, doesn't really matter.

I'm not saying the samething is gonna happen. I was saying the last time we had the first round pick we got rid of the regime that lead us to that pick and let a new GM in. It does happen, it did happen, that is football. And like I said, I respect your views, but mine is simply, we got the first pick because we stink, Why not give some new GM a chance. Whats the worse that could happen, we go 0-16, oh wait... nevermind

Born to play football yes, but bred to me sounds more like "to be like" and peyton is not like his dad

There are no constant injuries... they are either injured or have been.. but from the playing time those draft picks have played they have shows some pretty good signs.... as for the defense i didnt mention them, i mentioned individuals and those individuals have been playing well... as a defense the colts defense sucks but no doubt anderson and especially brayton has been a factor... ernie sims i think would look better if he had the starting job.. the only thing wheeler knows how to do is tackle...

I can understand your point of view.. try something new. What i think that plagues this team is the fact that they were once comfortble with how they were and now its hard for them to get out of that... the tampa 2 defense, i wouldnt be surprised if the colts still had that next year... the colts need some better players on both sides of the ball... they are still that "finesse" team... a TE that cant block.. a small defense... some things need to change no doubt.... but as for CP? he isnt going anywhere

What do you mean what has he done to justify that he should be here? this is his first year as a GM, and he got his job by his dad... who do you think is gonna get to be the owner when Irsay steps down? its not just gonna be anyone.. its gonna be someone in his family.. and Irsay himself has said that when peyton retires thats when he is gonna give it to that person... i cant remember who it is but its family as well... and yes Chris Polian is in charge of this team... this isnt any type of dictator ship... CP was the one who made the draft picks and got the FA's so yes he is the guy... his dad is just a loud speaker.

There is no question to who is in infact the GM its CP and it has been for a while now.

Bill Polian is still in charge of this team. He is Chris Polian's boss.

And what do I mean how did Chris got his job? I mean, "How did Chris get his job." He hasn't proven anything that he should be the GM so far. How did he go from scouting director in 1998 to GM in 11 years? There's no way he earned it straight through job performance is what I'm saying.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I like your Mark Twain line -- so here are some facts (rounded). In 2010 the Colts D was on the field an average of 30.40 mins. and allowed 342.2 yrds per game which is 11.25 yrds per min. This year they averaged 35.5 mins on the field and gave up an average of 389.4 yards per game which averages out to be 10.96 yards per min. Can we say the Colts are playing better D this year then last year? I know I can say our very poor O hurts our D very much. --- Hurts = performance and injuries

It's good to see how other Colts fan feel -- Our Defense is impacted greatly by the soft Tampa 2, no gamble style the Colts have used for years. This year we were shown how important the O is to our D.

I could go on and will in later posts, but the number one thing I would like to see from the Colts is a surprize onside kick even if it doesn't work. Am I alone?

That post starts with right now. sorry i messed that up

You sure did. You took my post, added your comments to the same post and reposted it as one post when in fact it was two separate posts. My post in its entirety was:

"True. Firing Coyer was a good first step. Next to go should be the rest of the coaching staff. If we are going to a new system and new personnel as Polian said on hks radio show,we need to get rid of this defensive scheme. I hope whoever is the new head coach brings in Steve Spagnuolo (provided he is fired as expected) to be the new DC."

You added the following:

"Right now I have no idea whether to fire Coyer was a good first step, or simply after now that we have almost locked in the #1 draft pick, we now need a scapegoat. Who can say that the coaches were on there on in making decisions about this team. From all I have read and seen, which means nothing as I dont really know nothing except for the problem I have that if BP is as smart as a bunch of posters on this forum says he is, then I think it all is going according to plan."

You combined the two to read as one post (see your post above). While I don't mind a spirited debate that out and out childish stunt is a non starter.

Bill Polian is still in charge of this team. He is Chris Polian's boss.

And what do I mean how did Chris got his job? I mean, "How did Chris get his job." He hasn't proven anything that he should be the GM so far. How did he go from scouting director in 1998 to GM in 11 years? There's no way he earned it straight through job performance is what I'm saying.

11 years is a long time, what makes you think that in those 11 years he didn't learn what is needed to become a GM? Exactly what are the job requirements to be a NFL GM?

11 years is not a long time at all, especially to go from a low position all the way to the general manager. Do you believe that Chris Polian could go from the scouting director to the general manager of any other NFL team in 11 years? I doubt that he could which is why I am not confident in him.

Hmmm... job requirements to be an NFL GM... Running a successful team efficiently. That can be done multiple ways, but as long as they are winning, stable, and in control then that's about it.

How do you evaluate a person's ability to run a successful team efficiently if you haven't given them the opportunity to do it? I don't think that's how you judge whether to make someone a GM or not.

I kind of think you've decided that it's nepotism, and nothing else. Maybe. I'm just saying the situation is what it is, now. Chris Polian is the GM. I think we did a good job this past offseason, when all indications have been that Chris Polian has been the numero uno for the first time. And if you like what we did this offseason, then why get rid of him just because you don't like how he got his job? Maybe we didn't hire right, but that doesn't mean he can't do the job. If you ask me, he's done a good job in what seems to be his first season as THE guy.