Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coyer Has Been Fired (Merge)

Peyton and Eli fan

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep cleaning house, boys! The only way to make me feel better about this season is to fire Caldwell...NOW! Why wait until the end of the year? He's been worthless since he came on board. In fact, I'd say he's been worthless his entire coaching career.

Could NOT have said it better.....

Keep cleaning house, boys! The only way to make me feel better about this season is to fire Caldwell...NOW! Why wait until the end of the year? He's been worthless since he came on board. In fact, I'd say he's been worthless his entire coaching career.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CUT THE CALD

How interesting that a decade ago Mora told Polian to pound salt when asked to fire Fangio.

The parallel only works if there is reason to believe that Caldwell is personally loyal to Coyer, as Mora was to Fangio. Where is it written that a coach must stand by his staff regardless of the cost. It's his job to put the best assistants in place. If it isn't working, move on.

Yes change was needed, but I do find the time interesting. I think the defense has played OK this year, the 10 yard cushion thing needs to go though. You see Chicago's playing cover 2 but doing more press coverage when the need to & it works!! We need to shake it up some. Although yardage wise we are near the bottom of the league alot of that is due to our POOR offense!! How may 3 & outs & 6 play drive can you have. Alot of injuries on the defensive side, not making excuses here & I wanted a change, but why not wait till the end of the year. Maybe the want to give Murphy a chance? I for one feel if we were going to fire someone NOW how about Christensen he is AWFUL, not inventive & a bad play caller!! :eek: Could be more changes & look forward to them!! Lots of guys getting valuable experience this year, if Peyton is back next year with some inprovement at some positions & a last place schedule we could be back quite quickly!! :P

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR:

According to Michael Lombardi (when interviewed on the NFL network), Coyer didn't get along with the Colts because he wanted an aggressive/complex "get after the QB" defense with multiple blitz packages similar to what he developed in Denver but, the Colts wanted to keep a "Cover(Tampa) 2" based defense.

He said, there wasn't any particular coach that wanted the "Cover 2" but it was an organizational philosophy; and that Coyer is glad to get out-of-there.

He ended stating the obvious: " no coach is going to come in and make a difference, this team has a bunch of personnel issues that will have to be resolved during the off season."

According to Michael Lombardi (when interviewed on the NFL network), Coyer didn't get along with the Colts because he wanted an aggressive/complex "get after the QB" defense with multiple blitz packages similar to what he developed in Denver but, the Colts wanted to keep a "Cover(Tampa) 2" based defense.

He said, there wasn't any particular coach that wanted the "Cover 2" but it was an organizational philosophy; and that Coyer is glad to get out-of-there.

He ended stating the obvious: " no coach is going to come in and make a difference, this team has a bunch of personnel issues that will have to be resolved during the off season."

If we keep this same philosophy next year is there any doubt that Polian needs to be shown the door? That philosophy should have been changed at least 5 years ago.

Yes change was needed, but I do find the time interesting. I think the defense has played OK this year, the 10 yard cushion thing needs to go though. You see Chicago's playing cover 2 but doing more press coverage when the need to & it works!! We need to shake it up some. Although yardage wise we are near the bottom of the league alot of that is due to our POOR offense!! How may 3 & outs & 6 play drive can you have. Alot of injuries on the defensive side, not making excuses here & I wanted a change, but why not wait till the end of the year. Maybe the want to give Murphy a chance? I for one feel if we were going to fire someone NOW how about Christensen he is AWFUL, not inventive & a bad play caller!! :eek: Could be more changes & look forward to them!! Lots of guys getting valuable experience this year, if Peyton is back next year with some inprovement at some positions & a last place schedule we could be back quite quickly!! :P

We have maybe slowed the run down a couple of times this year, but you relize this defense is or near or at the bottom of every stasticical catagory.

If we keep this same philosophy next year is there any doubt that Polian needs to be shown the door? That philosophy should have been changed at least 5 years ago.

To me it seems like Polians plan is to hold on to power by installing team philosophies so that no coach that has his own ideas would even want to coach the Colts. Basically so he can go about his business unchallenged.

I want the Colts to hire a HC that is a strategist and is creative. That kind of coach will have to be listened to when it comes to personnel because he would know who would fit best.

If this is true then Polian should be fired. Here we have been trashing Coyer for running vanilla Cover Two when in fact it very well could have been Polian interfering in coaching decisions yet again.

He ended stating the obvious: " no coach is going to come in and make a difference, this team has a bunch of personnel issues that will have to be resolved during he off season."

True. Firing Coyer was a good first step. Next to go should be the rest of the coaching staff. If we are going to a new system and new personnel as Polian said on hks radio show,we need to get rid of this defensive scheme. I hope whoever is the new head coach brings in Steve Spagnuolo (provided he is fired as expected) to be the new DC.

To me it seems like Polians plan is to hold on to power by installing team philosophies so that no coach that has his own ideas would even want to coach the Colts. Basically so he can go about his business unchallenged.

I want the Colts to hire a HC that is a strategist and is creative. That kind of coach will have to be listened to when it comes to personnel because he would know who would fit best.

according to that polian loving colts homer big joe staysniak, bill no likey head strong coaches.

That is exactly why I have wanted Polian gone for a long time now. People were quick to credit Polian for all our winning seasons but I think we're finding out it was way more Manning than Polian. Polian has had like forever to fix the defensive side of the ball but his ego won't let him change his own philosophies that flat out haven't worked. Peyton would have 2 or 3 rings right now if we would have made defensive adjustments long ago.

If this is true, then Polian and Caldwell need to be held more accountable by Irsay. They are the ones who hired Coyer in the first place so they had to know what kind of defensive philosophy he would want to run. If you wanted to keep the Tampa 2 why hire someone with a more aggressive system. You would not hire Wade Phillips and try to make him run a 4-3.

If this is true, then our defensive issues really just sit at the feet of Polian and Caldwell. It sounds like they did not even care who coached that side of the ball since we had Manning.

This kind of thing goes back to the reports we heard about how fractured our front office and coaching staff has been. If I was Coyer I know I would be ticked if I was not able to run my system or get the guys to run my system and was forced to run a system that I am not an expert in.