Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A statistical comparison of some of the league's notable cornerbacks.

Dustin

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vontae Davis is king.

Knock on wood, is it me or have the players gotten used to the newer CBA rules better and teams have adapted their training better to have lesser players on IR this year? Compared to last year after 5 games, I am leaning towards thinking that there have been lesser players on IR this year, am I wrong?

Dustin, my stat man, help me out here.

Vontae Davis is king.

Knock on wood, is it me or have the players gotten used to the newer CBA rules better and teams have adapted their training better to have lesser players on IR this year? Compared to last year after 5 games, I am leaning towards thinking that there have been lesser players on IR this year, am I wrong?

Dustin, my stat man, help me out here.

I think the Colts just got rid of the injury bug finally a lot of team have a bunch of players out or on IR . Seems we sent that pesky injury bug to the chargers the Brown they are dropping like flies .

Well done Vontae.  Glad to see that the contract we gave him was well spent.

If he can keep this up for the whole season, he might go to the pro-bowl and perhaps make more of a name for himself as a top CB.

Big test on Thursday though.  Has to cover Andre Johnson.

0c5gsgv.jpg

Click to enlarge. 

Can you also list which Qbs/receivers these CBs have gone up against thus far? I think that would also shed some light on these numbers as in fairness, Davis has gone up against the Titans, Jags and Ravens whereas Sherman has faced the Broncos, Packers, and Chargers.

Can you also list which Qbs/receivers these CBs have gone up against thus far? I think that would also shed some light on these numbers as in fairness, Davis has gone up against the Titans, Jags and Ravens whereas Sherman has faced the Broncos, Packers, and Chargers.

You left out the Broncos and Eagles . He's faced 3 of the best passing teams in the NFL and shut them down like Revis use to do well he did last week he looked like his old self .

Can you also list which Qbs/receivers these CBs have gone up against thus far? 

I don't have the snap counts against receivers. Vontae has lined up across from DT, Emmanuel Sander, Jeremy Maclin and Steve Smith who are all top 10 in YPG. 

And I like how you list the Ravens like they weren't one of the best offenseive teams in the NFL coming into Sunday. 

I don't have the snap counts against receivers. Vontae has lined up across from DT, Emmanuel Sander, Jeremy Maclin and Steve Smith who are all top 10 in YPG. 

And I like how you list the Ravens like they weren't one of the best offenseive teams in the NFL coming into Sunday. 

Actually, I think the case would be stronger for Davis as Sherman never shadows the best receiver anyways. But I was more interested in the breakdown because the Pats have played Revis in a lot of zone this year so I was interested to see who he has covered and for how many snaps.

You left out the Broncos and Eagles . He's faced 3 of the best passing teams in the NFL and shut them down like Revis use to do well he did last week he looked like his old self .

Sunday night was the first time the Pats let him man up the best receiver all game. Lots of zone this year for some reason.

Can you also list which Qbs/receivers these CBs have gone up against thus far? I think that would also shed some light on these numbers as in fairness, Davis has gone up against the Titans, Jags and Ravens whereas Sherman has faced the Broncos, Packers, and Chargers.

Davis has also played against the broncos and eagles

Actually, I think the case would be stronger for Davis as Sherman never shadows the best receiver anyways. But I was more interested in the breakdown because the Pats have played Revis in a lot of zone this year so I was interested to see who he has covered and for how many snaps.

Davis doesn't either. He's just faced a bunch of teams that move their receivers around. 

Best I can give you is the stats on who he covered that was targeted, not how many snaps he played against any given receiver.  

Like how last game he was 3-5 for 64 yards vs AJ Green. But I can't give you exactly how mnay snaps he played against him. 

Please don't put the Ravens in the crap category with Jags/Tenn and then turn around and add the Chargers with the Packers and Broncos.  SD and Bal are on the same level.  Vontae played the Broncos just like Richard, and the Eagles offense is a little better than the Packers.  That's the way I see it anyway.  Vontae has been thrown at 6 more times and given up almost half of what Sherman has.  All I'm saying is that Vontae is in a league of his own right now, even among the best corners in the league.  Let's not downplay anything because he has faced 2 bad teams, because he has also faced the best offenses as well!!  Through 5 games:  only giving up 79 yds 0 TD's and 2 int's, especially with the nonsense flags every official throws these days, Vontae Davis is redefining the term "shutdown corner"!!

I'll never get tired of laughing at those who think Vontae Davis is the top CB in the NFL.

His performance states that he is one of those top 5, if not THE top CB in the league. If he continues, he might as well stake a claim to that.

Like I said in the past, when he goes against A.J.Green and Antonio Brown in the next month and IF he clamps them down, there might be no other choice for opposing team fans but to acknowledge that Vontae Davis has arrived.

Davis doesn't either. He's just faced a bunch of teams that move their receivers around. 

Best I can give you is the stats on who he covered that was targeted, not how many snaps he played against any given receiver.  

Like how last game he was 3-5 for 64 yards vs AJ Green. But I can't give you exactly how mnay snaps he played against him. 

I appreciate you taking the time to research those stats and compile them. I know it is not easy to do the type of breakdown I asked for. I find it maddening to get decent defensive breakdowns in general.

Do you mind posting the stats again after week 8? I would love to see where the top CBs rank at the half way point.

Please don't put the Ravens in the crap category with Jags/Tenn and then turn around and add the Chargers with the Packers and Broncos.  SD and Bal are on the same level.  Vontae played the Broncos just like Richard, and the Eagles offense is a little better than the Packers.  That's the way I see it anyway.  Vontae has been thrown at 6 more times and given up almost half of what Sherman has.  All I'm saying is that Vontae is in a league of his own right now, even among the best corners in the league.  Let's not downplay anything because he has faced 2 bad teams, because he has also faced the best offenses as well!!  Through 5 games:  only giving up 79 yds 0 TD's and 2 int's, especially with the nonsense flags every official throws these days, Vontae Davis is redefining the term "shutdown corner"!!

Flacco is horrible, Rivers is MVP right now.

Flacco is horrible, Rivers is MVP right now.

I do admit Flacco is horrible, but he does have dangerous weapons with the Smith boys.  When your studying CB's the opposing WR is more important than the QB.  They're all professionals, if the WR is wide open the QB can put it on them. 

Funny stuff. Obviously some people take it personally.

I don't think they take it personally. I think they just get annoyed by your continued assertion that Davis is not a top flight corner when he is in fact a top five corner. The stats as well as the eye test back up the claim that, to this point in the year, Vontae Davis is a top five corner and could arguably be considered the best overall corner. You have no evidence to back up your claim and have thus far, avoided adding anything substantial to the argument to support your case other than ridiculous speculaton. Davis has the stats that assert he is clearly a premier player at his position and has even fielded a game where he was completely avoided (the ultimate form of respect for a  corner, a la Richard Sherman against the Packers).

As a stat lover, I enjoy this kinda stuff..... I'd like some more if you are able to do it....

Any way to calculate catchable balls? I think it was Trey Wingo who had a tweet yesterday something along the lines "M.Ffloyd has had 12 catchable passes thrown his way, Julio Jones has had 41"...or something similar.....I think something like that may come in handy when discussing DB coverages.

Where he got that info, I do not know. 

I don't think they take it personally. I think they just get annoyed by your continued assertion that Davis is not a top flight corner when he is in fact a top five corner.

They do take it personally and no he is not a top 5 CB. Not even close.

Funny stuff. Obviously some people take it personally.

I don't take it personally, I just get annoyed at you acting like your opinion is better than everyone else who thinks Davis is actually a top flight corner, and yet you have absolutely nothing to back up your claim that he is just average, as the stats say he is not only elite, but arguably the top corner in the league. 

I don't take it personally, I just get annoyed at you acting like your opinion is better than everyone else who thinks Davis is actually a top flight corner, and yet you have absolutely nothing to back up your claim that he is just average, as the stats say he is not only elite, but arguably the top corner in the league.

An objective look at his career tells you that he's average. Certainly not arguably "the top corner" in the league. At the rate you people have him improving, by the 8th game of the season, he will be in Dieon Sanders territory.

A couple of weeks ago, you guys said he was a top 10 corner. Then it progressed to one of the top 5. Now hes the very best. Like I said, in two more weeks, you guys will have him as a lock for the hall of fame and in the conversation as the greatest ever.

An objective look at his career tells you that he's average. Certainly not arguably "the top corner" in the league. At the rate you people have him improving, by the 8th game of the season, he will be in Dieon Sanders territory.

A couple of weeks ago, you guys said he was a top 10 corner. Then it progressed to one of the top 5. Now hes the very best. Like I said, in two more weeks, you guys will have him as a lock for the hall of fame and in the conversation as the greatest ever.

Oh so now you want to look at a whole career and not just the present? Convenient argument for you here I see. But then again, Sherman is still mad about his hair getting pulled.

Looking at his career? He just turned 26.... Can you at least agree he has been elite this season? I'm also curious as to how Morris Claiborne is better if you look at their careers.... Look people said Vontae Davis is the top corner in the league so far this season, you said no he is average..... His career doesn't matter in that argument, we were talking about this season and you claimed he was average. 

and now I get why your posts never make any sense. If you think neon deon is one of the best ever, you must have never actually watched him play. Just saw a few highlights of the guy returning interceptions or even worse just heard some good things about him. No one got burned as much as neon deon. The guy took too many failed risks to be considered one of the greatest ever.

They do take it personally and no he is not a top 5 CB. Not even close.

Except the stats and eye test say otherwise. Right now, there isn't a single corner that has played better through the first five weeks of the NFL season. If you like or prefer Peterson, Sherman, Revis or whoever then that's fine, but to this point, in this year, no corner has played better than Davis so not only is he top five, but right now, at this moment, he's number one. To insist otherwise, with zero support to your claim, is somewhat foolish. Just name something factual that lists Davis outside of a top five corner this year and perhaps it can be debated, but until then you're just making outlandish statements.