Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A statistical comparison of some of the league's notable cornerbacks.

Dustin

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,  there it is.

For you,  a player is either upper echelon, or he's average.     There appears to be nothing in between.

I think that's not just a bad argument,  I think it's a terrible argument.     But,  you're entitled to it.

Good luck with that.    And good luck with getting anyone here to take your views seriously anymore.

Obviously reading comprehension is a weakness with you.  Re-read my comment.

Obviously reading comprehension is a weakness with you.  Re-read my comment.

No.     I think reading comprehension is YOUR issue.    You don't even know what you write.    

I'll cut and paste it for you....

"I absolutely recognize his talent.  It's pretty much average.  The average NFL player is a fairly good player.  One doesn't make it that far by being a poor player.  However, when he gets to the upper echelon, the NFL,  he needs to be spectacular to be placed among the best of the best."

You're trying to be clever with your words.   But when you say "pretty much average"...   that's what you mean.   Also saying "fairly good player"  doesn't say much considering all your other comments.   

You believe players are either elite,  or they're average.   And you allow that average is a large pool of players.    Great.

You're argument is a loser.    And few here are going to take you seriously since your argument is nonsense.

No.     I think reading comprehension is YOUR issue.    You don't even know what you write.    

I'll cut and paste it for you....

"I absolutely recognize his talent.  It's pretty much average.  The average NFL player is a fairly good player.  One doesn't make it that far by being a poor player.  However, when he gets to the upper echelon, the NFL,  he needs to be spectacular to be placed among the best of the best."

You're trying to be clever with your words.   But when you say "pretty much average"...   that's what you mean.   Also saying "fairly good player"  doesn't say much considering all your other comments.   

You believe players are either elite,  or they're average.   And you allow that average is a large pool of players.    Great.

You're argument is a loser.    And few here are going to take you seriously since your argument is nonsense.

I think you just don't understand what it takes to make it to the NFL and then progress to the upper echelons of the league.  So, your lack of understanding is not my problem.

The average NFL football player is a very talented athlete, whether he's on a practice squad or a starter.  So, the average player is quite good.  BUT, to be considered the best of the best, one must be spectacular.  Davis is not anywhere approaching spectacular.  He's the average NFL CB. 

I haven't read this thread, but I can only assume we've come to a concensus on Davis as the premier cb in this league.

So glad we could all agree.

Uh... right. The best of the best.  Davis Island. 

Of course no one anywhere else would agree, but.......

0c5gsgv.jpg

Click to enlarge. 

Thanks for posting . . . I did not realize Vernon Davis is playing CB now, I just thought he was just a TE :)

I have a few questions and wanted to add a few points to the discussions . . . 

is there any way to know who the WR the CRs went up against via a stat from that website?  Or can the people who have seen all of the games for those players give us a rough idea?

I always love to break down stats to find out what they actually mean and how, if at all, they can correlate to great or poor play . . .

I just put down a few bullet points . . .

First, some teams will go to their TE in the red zone for scoring so the WR may not see as many TD attempts . . . or perhaps use the run game to get a TD . . . which can kind of skew the stats a little . . .

Second, I would love to see a stat showing miss opportunities or "left open WRs" . . .what I mean is some CBs will peel off their man to spy on another WR to get a pick and when it happens, he looks like a hero . . . but I would love to see a stat on when he does peel off what is result of the play . . . it is an easy first down . . . Asante Samuel would do this a lot, and although he got some picks, we also saw WRs catch a ball for a first down to extend a drive that might otherwise not been extended had the CB stayed home, which in effect is like an inverse pick so to speak, that is, like a turnover as instead of getting the ball on a punt the opponent retains the ball via a first down . . . nice to see this as a stat the NFL would track . . .

Either way it is a nice list to look at, be fun to see it as it goes through out the year and we have more pass attempts . .  .

So now, he's the new "shut down" corner back. 

Yup. He gets that label by shutting down everyone he's faced this year, to the tune of a 12.3 passer rating against. Through five games, he has absolutely been a shutdown corner. He's been the most shutdown corner in the league, as a matter of fact.

I think you just don't understand what it takes to make it to the NFL and then progress to the upper echelons of the league.  So, your lack of understanding is not my problem.

The average NFL football player is a very talented athlete, whether he's on a practice squad or a starter.  So, the average player is quite good.  BUT, to be considered the best of the best, one must be spectacular.  Davis is not anywhere approaching spectacular.  He's the average NFL CB. 

The average NFL CB who's is actually giving up the least amount of yards ,TD's, completions and allowing the lowest QBR of all the top CB's right? Lol 

Just as I predicted.

You're a funny guy. I want to see you tell me that Vontae Davis is a better CB than Sherman.

Richard Sherman gave up more yards and TDs last night than Vontae Davis has all season long.

Yup. He gets that label by shutting down everyone he's faced this year, to the tune of a 12.3 passer rating against. Through five games, he has absolutely been a shutdown corner. He's been the most shutdown corner in the league, as a matter of fact.

My thoughts on the topic are plainly obvious. Again and again and again.

Your troll game is weak.

Wow,  that's impressive.    Not sure you could miss the point any further than that.

I've already said that if you think Davis is not elite,  that's one thing.    But I also said Davis is not average.   And that there are a number of classifications in between elite and average.     But not you.     You have this giant bell shaped curve with about 5-10 elite corners,  and I'd guess roughly 5-10 corners who suck and everyone else,  about 100 other corners who must be average.

That's not the way my bell shape curve would look.   

Put another way,  you have a few A-grade corners and a few F-grade corners,  and everyone else gets a C.

But you don't have any B or D grades.    That's too nuanced for you.

Again,  I think your argument is beyond weak.    And that's why you've spent 4 pages responding to everyone who has taken you out behind the woodshed for a well deserved thrashing..........

Good luck.......

NOTE:    One last thought....   since you're a relative newcomer here....

I've been following football for far longer than you've been alive.    Nearly 50 years.    And I covered football as a member of the media for possibly longer than you've been alive.     30 years.    So,  I'm quite comfortable that my knowledge of football is enough to deal with you.....

Look at his career in an objective manner and honestly tell me he's an above average CB.

I'm quite comfortable saying Davis is above average.    Even if I never call him elite,  he's very easily above average.

In fact,  I think he's closer to elite than he is to average.

You've painted yourself into a corner....    and you're too stubborn to even try to get out.    So, now all that's left is for you to keep digging that hole you're in.    Deeper and deeper you go....     Soon,  you'll be in China!

Wow,  that's impressive.    Not sure you could miss the point any further than that.

I've already said that if you think Davis is not elite,  that's one thing.    But I also said Davis is not average.   And that there are a number of classifications in between elite and average.     But not you.     You have this giant bell shaped curve with about 5-10 elite corners,  and I'd guess roughly 5-10 corners who suck and everyone else,  about 100 other corners who must be average.

That's not the way my bell shape curve would look.   

Put another way,  you have a few A-grade corners and a few F-grade corners,  and everyone else gets a C.

Again,  I think your argument is beyond weak.    And that's why you've spent 4 pages responding to everyone who has taken you out behind the woodshed for a well deserved thrashing..........

Good luck.......

NOTE:    One last thought....   since you're a relative newcomer here....

I've been following football for far longer than you've been alive.    Nearly 50 years.    And I covered football as a member of the media for possibly longer than you've been alive.     30 years.    So,  I'm quite comfortable that my knowledge of football is enough to deal with you.....

You guys sure are good at providing moving targets.

I've been following football for far longer than you've been alive.    Nearly 50 years.    And I covered football as a member of the media for possibly longer than you've been alive.     30 years.  

And once again, you are wrong.

,  and everyone else gets a C.

Average players at a particular position would get a C in my grade book.  Above average would get a B and excellent players an A.  Very few would get an A+.  Some would get a D and very few would receive an F.

Vontae Davis would get a solid C.

You're a funny guy.  I want to see you tell me that Vontae Davis is a better CB than Sherman. 

That is easy Vontea Davis is a better corner in 14 than Sherman by a wide margin  . Sherman has been nothing but average at best so far so you could say a lot are playing better than Sherman . Shutdown corners don't allow passer ratings over 100 good corners don't either just average ones .

And once again, you are wrong.

Seriously?     How old are you?     How old a guy calls himself....   "thedude"

By the way.......    before this spins wildly out of control (likely too late)  I must say this.......

Very nice avatar!!    :thmup:

So,  you're a good judge of talent.....     just not football talent....   :thmup:

Average players at a particular position would get a C in my grade book. Above average would get a B and excellent players an A. Very few would get an A+. Some would get a D and very few would receive an F.

Vontae Davis would get a solid C.

Based on what?