Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A statistical comparison of some of the league's notable cornerbacks.

Dustin

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the famous words of Mike Ditka, "stats are for losers".  Any chimpanzee can simply quote stats.  Who would the number 1 CB be if one was to use only stats?  That's right, some dude no one's ever heard of.

Stats are by no means 100% of any argument, but they show a lot about players. Mike Ditka was wrong.

Well, I was only asking because this time, he was very obviously shown stats that would prove him otherwise. 

Guess he's doing kind of well with his trolling right now, considering the response. lol

He's been shown stats before. Called them "made up metrics" or some kind of crap like that. 

In the famous words of Mike Ditka, "stats are for losers". Any chimpanzee can simply quote stats. Who would the number 1 CB be if one was to use only stats? That's right, some dude no one's ever heard of.

In the famous words of Mike Ditka "thedude is a clown"

The ones in the OP that show Davis as a top 5 cb, if not THE best Cb...

Learn to Read.

Do you know what it means if someone says "______ is a top 5 player, if not the best"?  That person is making a case for player ______ as being the very best.

Stats mean different things depending on the position played.  Stats mean something when talking about a QB or running back.  they mean much less when talking about a DB.

Yeah...No they don't mean much less, They mean much different.....yards given up by a Corner is a stat.....catches allowed is a stat....catch percentage is a stat......Also rest assured coaches keep track of those kinds of stats

Yeah...No they don't mean much less, They mean much different.....yards given up by a Corner is a stat.....catches allowed is a stat....catch percentage is a stat......Also rest assured coaches keep track of those kinds of stats

I agree that they mean something different, but I disagree in that they do mean less than they do for some offensive positions.  A CB can give up some catches, but still dominate because he gave up zero impact plays and took away the deep passing game thus minimizing the receiver as a threat.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 8, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, October 8, 2014 - personal shot

Stats mean different things depending on the position played. Stats mean something when talking about a QB or running back. they mean much less when talking about a DB.

You dense fool, do you know what a cornerbacks job is? To cover opposing receivers, help in run support, and prevent completions... guess what Vontae does better than anyone else this year at the cornerback spot? He's the best coverage cb in the NFL according to the stats, and if you'd actually watch him play instead of sit in your troll cave eating cheetos/drinking dew, you'd see these things for yourself.

You dense fool, do you know what a cornerbacks job is? To cover opposing receivers, help in run support, and prevent completions... guess what Vontae does better than anyone else this year at the cornerback spot? He's the best coverage cb in the NFL according to the stats, and if you'd actually watch him play instead of sit in your troll cave eating cheetos/drinking dew, you'd see these things for yourself.

It's not to just prevent completions.  It's also to contain a receiver and minimize his impact. 

Did you watch the last Super Bowl?  A receiver set the super bowl record for catches, but had no impact upon the game.  he was completely contained.  His catches were inconsequential. 

If you are going to respond with an insult, keep it to yourself.

You just can't get away from tossing insults, can you?

Sorry, I just like telling the truth. You're a * for not putting together any argument or analysis in your favor. Hell you're a * for not responding to half the people that call you out on your crap posts, and the fact that you can't even argue against the points I just made in my last post. You're also blind if you don't know where the "quote" button is.

It's not to just prevent completions. It's also to contain a receiver and minimize his impact.

Did you watch the last Super Bowl? A receiver set the super bowl record for catches, but had no impact upon the game. he was completely contained. His catches were inconsequential.

If you are going to respond with an insult, keep it to yourself.

Guess what Vontae has done better than everyone else this year... all of what you just said.

I agree that they mean something different, but I disagree in that they do mean less than they do for some offensive positions.  A CB can give up some catches, but still dominate because he gave up zero impact plays and took away the deep passing game thus minimizing the receiver as a threat.

Right which you know Vontae has done through 5 games extremely well if you knew what you were looking at, That's not to say you don't of course but its quite clear he has, Unless your argument is that he has only 2 picks and 7 passes defensed...Which in this case you wont get a lot because QB's have not thrown his way a lot, Toler has gotten most of the attention in that regard as has our Linebackers

Guess what Vontae has done better than everyone else this year... all of what you just said.

Wait a minute.  I thought you folks have been telling me that he takes a receiver out of the game and opposing QB's aren't throwing his direction?  Make up your mind,  would ya?

I'm a troll because I say Davis is an average NFL CB.  Right.

You're not a troll,  but if you think Vonte Davis is an average NFL CB then you simply don't know football.

If you can't recognize above average talent,  then you don't know football.

He doesn't have to be the best or even top 5 to be above average.

He could be above average,  he could be good, or even very good.     All possible without being top-5.  

But no.    To you he's just average.    That either makes you someone who doesn't know football, or someone with an agenda.

Your choice.    But there's no argument -- at least none that you've made here -- that Vonte Davis is an average cornerback.

You're not a troll,  but if you think Vonte Davis is an average NFL CB then you simply don't know football.

If you can't recognize above average talent,  then you don't know football.

He doesn't have to be the best or even top 5 to be above average.

He could be above average,  he could be good, or even very good.     All possible without being top-5.  

But no.    To you he's just average.    That either makes you someone who doesn't know football, or someone with an agenda.

Your choice.    But there's no argument -- at least none that you've made here -- that Vonte Davis is an average cornerback.

I absolutely recognize his talent.  It's pretty much average.  The average NFL player is a fairly good player.  One doesn't make it that far by being a poor player.  However, when he gets to the upper echelon, the NFL,  he needs to be spectacular to be placed among the best of the best.

I absolutely recognize his talent.  It's pretty much average.  The average NFL player is a fairly good player.  One doesn't make it that far by being a poor player.  However, when he gets to the upper echelon, the NFL,  he needs to be spectacular to be placed among the best of the best.

You didn't answer my question, THIS YEAR, can you agree Vontae has easily been top 5? 

Well,  there it is.

For you,  a player is either upper echelon, or he's average.     There appears to be nothing in between.

I think that's not just a bad argument,  I think it's a terrible argument.     But,  you're entitled to it.

Good luck with that.    And good luck with getting anyone here to take your views seriously anymore.