Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offense Titans @ Colts

TheJACKCOLT

First, great game, Colts score 40plus 2nd straight game. The only thing holding this offense back from being the #1 offense in the NFL( hands down), is the coaching staffs insistence to give Trent Richardson the majority of the carries. Give Herron or Bradshaw just half of Trents carries and this would be the #1 offense in the NFL. I have been on Trents side from day one and I want him to succeed, but he will not get you yards unless there is a big hole there, he can not get anything when the hole is not there, he has no lateral quickness at all and doesn't have to ability to move laterally without coming to a complete stop first, unlike any back I've ever seen, and without that ability to move lateral, he can not pop it outside or cut back against the grain, between that and his lack of speed he can not get anything on his own. Every game he has seven to ten carries, where if he could pop it outside the way Bradshaw does he could pick up big yards. Give those carries to Bradshaw or Herron and they will pop it for big yards. Trent runs very hard and is powerful, but on the plays where the hole is not there he just can't get you anything and he's never going too. He just doesn't have that ability, and Bradshaw and Herron do. I know he had a couple of plays where he picked up yards and a good reception on one drive, but he is just leaving to many yards on the field and this hurts our offense, because we could be that much better if Bradshaw or Herron were getting these carries. I know this sounds like beating a dead horse, but I have been a big supporter of Trent, but I have seen enough, he just doesn't have it. There are situations where he can help this team, but as long as he gets the majority of the carries, he is holding this offense back. He is a situational back and nothing more, it's plain and simple and until this coaching staff realizes it and moves own, he is holding this offense back from being all it could be.

Colts 41 Titans 17

Offense:

31 FD's, 82 Plays, 498 Yards, 42:21 Possession, 1 Turnover

Defense:

16 FD's, 47 Plays, 261 Yards, 17:39 Possession, 3 Forced Turnovers

Not a bad days work. :)

Absolute domination against what I thought was supposed to be an overall good D.  One thing I did notice is that they sure did pressure Luck all day.  You can't always get what you want but he was knocked down a lot, still stood in the pocket like a great QB and completed pass after pass.

First, great game, Colts score 40plus 2nd straight game. The only thing holding this offense back from being the #1 offense in the NFL( hands down), is the coaching staffs insistence to give Trent Richardson the majority of the carries. Give Herron or Bradshaw just half of Trents carries and this would be the #1 offense in the NFL. I have been on Trents side from day one and I want him to succeed, but he will not get you yards unless there is a big hole there, he can not get anything when the hole is not there, he has no lateral quickness at all and doesn't have to ability to move laterally without coming to a complete stop first, unlike any back I've ever seen, and without that ability to move lateral, he can not pop it outside or cut back against the grain, between that and his lack of speed he can not get anything on his own. Every game he has seven to ten carries, where if he could pop it outside the way Bradshaw does he could pick up big yards. Give those carries to Bradshaw or Herron and they will pop it for big yards. Trent runs very hard and is powerful, but on the plays where the hole is not there he just can't get you anything and he's never going too. He just doesn't have that ability, and Bradshaw and Herron do. I know he had a couple of plays where he picked up yards and a good reception on one drive, but he is just leaving to many yards on the field and this hurts our offense, because we could be that much better if Bradshaw or Herron were getting these carries. I know this sounds like beating a dead horse, but I have been a big supporter of Trent, but I have seen enough, he just doesn't have it. There are situations where he can help this team, but as long as he gets the majority of the carries, he is holding this offense back. He is a situational back and nothing more, it's plain and simple and until this coaching staff realizes it and moves own, he is holding this offense back from being all it could be.

I agree it was a great game.

I do not agree that Trent should be taken out. I will be able to explain this better once I have a chance to re-watch the game. I want to double check some of the things I noticed full speed. 

Absolute domination against what I thought was supposed to be an overall good D.  One thing I did notice is that they sure did pressure Luck all day.  You can't always get what you want but he was knocked down a lot, still stood in the pocket like a great QB and completed pass after pass.

Yeah he stood in there and took some hits while delivering strikes. I like that he can do that, but wonder if if he should take those shots in blowout wins like this. One of the hits he took was very late in the game. 

In the end, I am not sure if it is a good idea to try to change him. I think we might cause an injury if we make him over-think it too much. 

wall'o'text hurts my eyes  :woah:

I am very pleased with Trent's production. He runs hard and I think he's getting better each game. With him and Bradshaw running the ball this well, the possibilities are endless. Also. I was really down on pep after the Eagles game, but these last two games have been called supremely well. It's been a good past two weeks.

I agree it was a great game.

I do not agree that Trent should be taken out. I will be able to explain this better once I have a chance to re-watch the game. I want to double check some of the things I noticed full speed. 

I've been in the camp that believes Richardson will come around.  However, now that he isn't getting hit 3 yards behind the line, which I felt like was a pretty valid excuse, it is very difficult watching them hand him the ball so he can plod for his 2 yards.  He is good catching the ball and making the first guy miss, but I'm not sure I remember a back ever doing less with more overall.  

I finally have to capitulate.  It's not gonna work out for T-Rich.  Too many journeyman backs out there that can give you more.

Wow.....  it only took one whole sentence to turn a resounding win into a complaint that the coaching staff doesn't know what they were doing.    And then you spent the rest of the paragraph talking about how obvious the fixes are.   Except to our coaches.  Congratulations.

Perhaps you missed the thread this week (it's still on this page) about the coaching staff pacing Bradshaw?    They are.   They could start him and give him the vast majority of touches and the odds are,  he'd be out for good by week 10.  

Most of the time Richardson had no where to run today.   There was very little room for him.    Gruden noted it on the Monday night game vs. Philly.   When he's being tackled behind the line of scrimmage,  it's not a Trent-problem.    It's a line/coordinator problem.    When Trent has some room,  he can run just fine.

The offense looks great two weeks in a row.....   how about we focus on that.....

So when the holes are there Trent can be average, when the holes aren't there Trent can be Trent. His best game was average with a side order of double fumbles.

He isn't fast, he can't find a hole unless its big enough to drive a truck through and his big runs are usually in the 10 yard range.

When he picks up average yards its because he is learning and becoming a beast, when he gets less then 3 ypc then its because the line.

He is a 3rd overall pick he shouldn't need much of a hole to get yards and his longest run shouldn't be a yard less the Peyton's longest run.

Against tough defenses he should be putting up average numbers and against weak defenses he should be putting up huge numbers. Instead ad he can deliver average numbers against a team playing the pass and horrible numbers if they actually play the run.

If Trent was handed the ball at the 20 and took off the wrong way and scored a safety for the other team 75% of this board would blame the line or say the box was stacked so he had to.

So good to see us attack a bad team through the air instead of trying to establish the run..

....The .little swing passes are 'virtual runs'

and we have a receiver group that cant be completely covered......take teams out early...well done

0-2 is a distant memory

It's strange, that's the first time I remember being 0-2 and not being particularly worried. 

So when the holes are there Trent can be average, when the holes aren't there Trent can be Trent. His best game was average with a side order of double fumbles.

He isn't fast, he can't find a hole unless its big enough to drive a truck through and his big runs are usually in the 10 yard range.

When he picks up average yards its because he is learning and becoming a beast, when he gets less then 3 ypc then its because the line.

He is a 3rd overall pick he shouldn't need much of a hole to get yards and his longest run shouldn't be a yard less the Peyton's longest run.

Against tough defenses he should be putting up average numbers and against weak defenses he should be putting up huge numbers. Instead ad he can deliver average numbers against a team playing the pass and horrible numbers if they actually play the run.

If Trent was handed the ball at the 20 and took off the wrong way and scored a safety for the other team 75% of this board would blame the line or say the box was stacked so he had to.

All I've ever seen you post about is Trent. Why does it even matter anymore? 

We get it. You think he's terrible. 

I've been in the camp that believes Richardson will come around.  However, now that he isn't getting hit 3 yards behind the line, which I felt like was a pretty valid excuse, it is very difficult watching them hand him the ball so he can plod for his 2 yards.  He is good catching the ball and making the first guy miss, but I'm not sure I remember a back ever doing less with more overall.  

I finally have to capitulate.  It's not gonna work out for T-Rich.  Too many journeyman backs out there that can give you more.

Having gone back to watch all Tent's games with Cleveland last year after the trade I had come to this conclusion long ago.   Immediately after the trade -- with some initial disappointment (giving up the first round pick) -- I thought "hey but it's Trent Richardson <with a 3.6 YPC red flag>".  Then I went to watch all his Browns games on Game Rewind and focused on him every play -- at which point I came away thinking "oh no, did Grigson watch these games".

I'm okay with splitting time between Bradshaw and Trent to keep Bradshaw healthy and fresh and I feel comfortable with Trent's pass blocking.  Float him the occasional screen or check-down pass if nobody is near him and he can make a nice play.  But please don't hand the ball to him twice in the same series of downs.

Wow.....  it only took one whole sentence to turn a resounding win into a complaint that the coaching staff doesn't know what they were doing.    And then you spent the rest of the paragraph talking about how obvious the fixes are.   Except to our coaches.  Congratulations.

Perhaps you missed the thread this week (it's still on this page) about the coaching staff pacing Bradshaw?    They are.   They could start him and give him the vast majority of touches and the odds are,  he'd be out for good by week 10.  

Most of the time Richardson had no where to run today.   There was very little room for him.    Gruden noted it on the Monday night game vs. Philly.   When he's being tackled behind the line of scrimmage,  it's not a Trent-problem.    It's a line/coordinator problem.    When Trent has some room,  he can run just fine.

The offense looks great two weeks in a row.....   how about we focus on that.....

Wow.... it doesn't matter what you post on here, some sm#rta#s, will always chime in with a sm#rta# comment about something you didn't say

I didn't say Bradshaw should get all the carries, I didn't even say he should get the Majority of the carries, but I guess you didn't see that (its still on the page)

I said I thought Trent shouldn't get the majority of the carries- you could make it 50/50 Bradshaw/Trent or give some of Trents carries to Herron.

I didn't say the coaching staff didn't know what they were doing, I just stated that I would like to see, (I thought Shipley was better than Satele too) but that's for another thread.

I don't think I'm smarter than the coaching staff, but I'm not dumb enough to think the coaching staff always does what's best for the team. Trying to save face comes into play in football like every thing else in life.

I 'm also not dumb enough to believe everything Gruden says.

I said when the hole is there Trent will run through it and get you some yards, but gets you nothing when it's not there, unlike Bradshaw or Herron.

The problems I pointed out about Trent (lack of lateral quickness) exist no matter how the line is blocking.

I also said great game, and pointed out that we have scored 40plus two weeks in a row.

I like the team (I'm sure) would like to focus on being even better.

Feel free to post on things I didn't say anytime you like

I like to interact and comment on things being said, not come off as some sma#tas# commenting on things that weren't said.

Perhaps you were commenting on another thread since nothing you said related to my post.

I agree 100% some just do not want to face the fact that this trade was a mistake and Trent will never be anymore than he is now, which is below average.

Wow.... it doesn't matter what you post on here, some sm#rta#s, will always chime in with a sm#rta# comment about something you didn't say

I didn't say Bradshaw should get all the carries, I didn't even say he should get the Majority of the carries, but I guess you didn't see that (its still on the page)

I said I thought Trent shouldn't get the majority of the carries- you could make it 50/50 Bradshaw/Trent or give some of Trents carries to Herron.

I didn't say the coaching staff didn't know what they were doing, I just stated that I would like to see, (I thought Shipley was better than Satele too) but that's for another thread.

I don't think I'm smarter than the coaching staff, but I'm not dumb enough to think the coaching staff always does what's best for the team. Trying to save face comes into play in football like every thing else in life.

I 'm also not dumb enough to believe everything Gruden says.

I said when the hole is there Trent will run through it and get you some yards, but gets you nothing when it's not there, unlike Bradshaw or Herron.

The problems I pointed out about Trent (lack of lateral quickness) exist no matter how the line is blocking.

I also said great game, and pointed out that we have scored 40plus two weeks in a row.

I like the team (I'm sure) would like to focus on being even better.

Feel free to post on things I didn't say anytime you like

I like to interact and comment on things being said, not come off as some sma#tas# commenting on things that weren't said.

Perhaps you were commenting on another thread since nothing you said related to my post.

Ummm.....

I don't think you know what is in your own post.    Really.

Just a thought, paragraphs make it easier to follow your post.

Also, no one had room to run in this game. Bradshaw averaged 3.6 ypc, and people are singing his praises. Trent averaged a worse 2.4 ypc, but it was really immaterial. No one ran the ball well, until Boom came in, and by then the game was over, and he only had a few good runs and then the Titans shut him down, too.

Problem is we missed Thornton, and Shipley hasn't been getting any push anyways, and now he's next to Louis who isn't a good run blocker. On top of that, the Titans have a good defensive front. The run game wasn't effective today. To pin it all on Richardson, completely ignoring the good plays he did make, it's strange. He made several defenders miss in the backfield, he did a really good job as a receiver, aside from the drop, and he was good in pass pro. 

The offense scored 41 points, and the only bad possessions we had were stalled because of penalties and a turnover. Richardson didn't hold the offense back at all.

Just a thought, paragraphs make it easier to follow your post.

Also, no one had room to run in this game. Bradshaw averaged 3.6 ypc, and people are singing his praises. Trent averaged a worse 2.4 ypc, but it was really immaterial. No one ran the ball well, until Boom came in, and by then the game was over, and he only had a few good runs and then the Titans shut him down, too.

Problem is we missed Thornton, and Shipley hasn't been getting any push anyways, and now he's next to Louis who isn't a good run blocker. On top of that, the Titans have a good defensive front. The run game wasn't effective today. To pin it all on Richardson, completely ignoring the good plays he did make, it's strange. He made several defenders miss in the backfield, he did a really good job as a receiver, aside from the drop, and he was good in pass pro. 

The offense scored 41 points, and the only bad possessions we had were stalled because of penalties and a turnover. Richardson didn't hold the offense back at all.

I'm a little surprised you would chalk up the low APC by both as immaterial.  

3.6 on 9 carries and a long of 6 means Bradshaw was getting something useful on nearly every carry, and that you like his odds to raise the APC with more touches.  

2.4 on 20 carries and a long of 10 means that he is putting you in 2nd and long almost every time.  Furthermore, that 10 yard carry looked like it should have gone for 15-20 for most backs.

I've abstained from the debate for the most part.  I don't think our staff can afford to give up on T-Rich, and I don't think they will, but for the first time I'd be very surprised if the staff isn't concerned about the difference in productivity between what T-Rich and most NFL caliber backs could achieve in 20 carries.

There is already a TOSS TRENT UNDER THE BUS thread pinned at the top of the page.

This whole thread belongs in there except for a few good post about Luck. smh

Yep...man improves and still doesn't do enough. Can't change the trade now..may as well get used to it and let the dead horse be.