Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Secondary loaded with talent

akcolt

Top 5 #1 CB & Top 5 Nickel CB. Then a solid #2

Not much else after those 3, so wouldn't say we're "loaded" but to each their own

Toler is proving himself more than solid if he could clean up the penalties. And also, that's the entire corner depth, I don't know how you don't call that loaded at the position. Sure safety is weak, but the corners are locked in.

Toler is proving himself more than solid if he could clean up the penalties. And also, that's the entire corner depth, I don't know how you don't call that loaded at the position. Sure safety is weak, but the corners are locked in.

Exactly, safety is weak

It says "Colts secondary loaded with talent"

Safeties count as part of the secondary too

Ummm.....

Considering the Colts are very, very below average at Safety,  I would NOT have labeled this thread that the "Colts' secondary is loaded with talent."

I would have said....  "The Colts are loaded at cornerback."

I think that would have been much more accurate.

I need to see more about our safeties before I completely agree with that statement. I think Mike Adams is solid, and hopefully LaRon Landry can get back to his good form (He was pretty good vs Jacksonville, and yes I know it was Jacksonville). But our corners are loaded, Vontae Davis is a premier corner in this league, Greg Toler is one of the top #2 corners, and Darius Butler is one of the top nickels. 

If only we had a safety..

It's not even so much as safety being the problem as it is the pass rush

If we improve the pass rush, I wouldn't care about having Landry and Adams back there. Everything starts up front

If we get a pass rush, we can have average safeties. Don't need a top flight safety if you have a dominate pass rush

Feel better?

Do you have anything to actually add or comment on, or do you just like posting pictures without any substance?

For what it's worth....   (and it may be nothing....)

While I'm certainly no fan of this particular poster,  he's hardly the only fan here who will respond to a post that way.

Lots and lots and lots of posters will respond with a snarky GIF like that.....

I'm not a huge fan of that...   but it's a popular thing to do....    what can I tell you?!?

For what it's worth....   (and it may be nothing....)

While I'm certainly no fan of this particular poster,  he's hardly the only fan here who will respond to a post that way.

Lots and lots and lots of posters will respond with a snarky GIF like that.....

I'm not a huge fan of that...   but it's a popular thing to do....    what can I tell you?!?

I have seen them do it.

Those fools do not bothering me.

Why wasnt this topic made after the Broncos or Eagles gm? Blowing out the Jags got people going a lil cooky.

Toler top 10?

Vontae the best cb?

A gif was the only way to respond to such foolishness.

Tell me 1 corner in the league who has played better than Davis after 3 weeks? He has shut down his opponents, and against some very good receivers. Davis is now officially a shut down corner, and he takes away one side of the field. 

Toler has been outstanding. Davis has been so good that quarterbacks have stayed away from him, and instead challenged Toler's side of the field. Toler has certainly had his wins.

Our corners have played great football this season. 

Only a troll would not see that.

Why wasnt this topic made after the Broncos or Eagles gm? Blowing out the Jags got people going a lil cooky.

Toler top 10?

Vontae the best cb?

A gif was the only way to respond to such foolishness.

Because 21 of the Broncos points came from an ILB covering the TE, which has nothing to do with the secondary. So your argument is invalid. 

Because 21 of the Broncos points came from an ILB covering the TE, which has nothing to do with the secondary. So your argument is invalid.

The point was, it came after a win vs 1 of 2 of the worst teams in the league. Had Bortles started the gm, he would've tested them more than Henne. And Manning went with was going good. And the pass rush was getting to him. He had open wrs too.

Greg Toler is not a top 10 cb and Vontae definitely isn't #1.

Tell me 1 corner in the league who has played better than Davis after 3 weeks? He has shut down his opponents, and against some very good receivers. Davis is now officially a shut down corner, and he takes away one side of the field.

Toler has been outstanding. Davis has been so good that quarterbacks have stayed away from him, and instead challenged Toler's side of the field. Toler has certainly had his wins.

Our corners have played great football this season.

Only a troll would not see that.

Kyle Fuller, Richard Sherman.

I honestly dont think you can judge these corners. They are the strength ofvthe d, but its so easy to throw to rbs and tes, why bother really throwing outside?

I believe that the "No Fly Zone" is for real. I said it last year and it showed until Toler got hurt. The safeties may not be the best but they will feed off the energy that our three very good corners provide this D and play lights out down the stretch and into the playoffs. Now the trick is that Toler has to stay healthy (knock on wood) and that may be hard if team consistently throw his way because Davis shuts down his side of the field. Hopefully with a few more picks from Toler team will not want to challenge him as much, and ya I said it Vontae Davis is a shut down corner. 

Kyle Fuller, Richard Sherman.

I honestly dont think you can judge these corners. They are the strength ofvthe d, but its so easy to throw to rbs and tes, why bother really throwing outside?

The only thing Richard Sherman does better than Vontae Davis, is run his damn mouth. 

Vontae spends his Sunday's playing man-to-man coverage all day and shutting receivers down!

I believe that the "No Fly Zone" is for real. I said it last year and it showed until Toler got hurt. The safeties may not be the best but they will feed off the energy that our three very good corners provide this D and play lights out down the stretch and into the playoffs. Now the trick is that Toler has to stay healthy (knock on wood) and that may be hard if team consistently throw his way because Davis shuts down his side of the field. Hopefully with a few more picks from Toler team will not want to challenge him as much, and ya I said it Vontae Davis is a shut down corner. 

Agreed.

There is no doubt the Colts have the most underrated group of corners in the NFL.

Ummm.....

Considering the Colts are very, very below average at Safety,  I would NOT have labeled this thread that the "Colts' secondary is loaded with talent."

I would have said....  "The Colts are loaded at cornerback."

I think that would have been much more accurate.

Man  I didn't write the article that would have been Jim Johnson of the AP his article his title. I guess I should have changed it to more accurately describe our back end. Maybe he doesn't think it is that bad. I don't know. Landry looks good on paper and Adams just started a Super Bowl. Like I said his article his title.  

Sorry....    but you can't have a "No Fly Zone" with only good corners.

Our safeties and linebackers aren't good enough to make-up a "No Fly Zone"

Seattle has one.    Other teams do.

The Colts do not.     We might look even better as the season unfolds,  but making such a claim after just three weeks and we're 1-2 is simply a fans view.....  and not a particularly good one.

Sorry........

Man  I didn't write the article that would have been Jim Johnson of the AP his article his title. I guess I should have changed it to more accurately describe our back end. Maybe he doesn't think it is that bad. I don't know. Landry looks good on paper and Adams just started a Super Bowl. Like I said his article his title.  

You're under no obligation to post the title of the story.

You can simply call it whatever you want if you don't agree with it.

But posting it as you did makes the people responding to it think that's your view too........

last time I checked the safety position was part of the secondary. and we have horrible safties. I love our corners, but the only thing Landry's good at is hitting and Adams is a pretty decent backup.

Landry's not even good at hitting, it's boom or bust with his "tackling" (if you wanna call it that)

If he was more serious about being a NFL safety than he is a body builder, than we'd be in better shape on the back end

Sorry.... but you can't have a "No Fly Zone" with only good corners.

Our safeties and linebackers aren't good enough to make-up a "No Fly Zone"

Seattle has one. Other teams do.

The Colts do not. We might look even better as the season unfolds, but making such a claim after just three weeks and we're 1-2 is simply a fans view..... and not a particularly good one.

Sorry........

What do LB's have to do with a "No Fly Zone"

"No Fly Zone" is given to secondaries, LB's are part of the front 7 category...... Not the secondary

Michigan State when Dennard was there called their "secondary" the "No Fly Zone", had nothing to do with LB's

Just the starting secondary

Much like the "Legion of Boom", it's only involving the secondary. No one else

What do LB's have to do with a "No Fly Zone"

"No Fly Zone" is given to secondaries, LB's are part of the front 7 category...... Not the secondary

Michigan State when Dennard was there called their "secondary" the "No Fly Zone", had nothing to do with LB's

Just the starting secondary

Much like the "Legion of Boom", it's only involving the secondary. No one else

I consider linebackers as part of the pass defense....

But even if you want to exclude them,  that's fine.    But the Colts still don't have a "No Fly Zone"....

We don't have good enough safeties for that.    Not even close.

We have very good corners.   But with quality safeties,  we don't have a "No Fly Zone"...

I consider linebackers as part of the pass defense....

But even if you want to exclude them,  that's fine.    But the Colts still don't have a "No Fly Zone"....

We don't have good enough safeties for that.    Not even close.

We have very good corners.   But with quality safeties,  we don't have a "No Fly Zone"...

Agree you're pretty much arguing semantics and in my opinion I'd also agree you've got to think about linebackers when it comes to pass defense. We've all seen TEs become weapons because the classic "prototype" LBs can't cover them so I'll think we'll see a shift towards LBs who can cover to a degree rather than thumpers. 

I'd also agree our safeties are poor, Landry I think could be ok with someone decent at coverage beside him but he's never really had that here. 

It's not even so much as safety being the problem as it is the pass rush

If we improve the pass rush, I wouldn't care about having Landry and Adams back there. Everything starts up front

If we get a pass rush, we can have average safeties. Don't need a top flight safety if you have a dominate pass rush

You mentioned Purifoy at safety awhile back, I wonder if theres any way to move Landry around as a pass rusher and substitute in Purifoy in his place? But then who would leave the field in that scenario? Thinking in the lines how the Steelers have used Troy P. over the years 

Inaccurate, Landry was matched up one-on-one playing safety vs Julius Thomas when we gave up that 3rd TD to JT before the half.

So, 14 pts from ILBs, 7 pts from secondary vs the Broncos. Safeties missed a lot of tackles on Sproles and company too.

It is very much safe and accurate to state that our talent at the CB position is very good. Good safeties are hard to find, that is why we need to train bigger CBs from college that can't cut it as NFL CBs but can cut it playing with their eyes on the QB as safeties than backpedaling as CBs.