Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian says "Ryan DIem pay cut or released" And negotiating with ADDAI AND JOHNSON

coltsuser21

(COPIED FORM THE ARTICLE)

The Colts are expected to release a veteran or two in order to be in compliance with the league’s $120.3 million salary cap. Right tackle Ryan Diem has been asked to take a cut from his $5.4 million salary, or be released.

The team has re-signed place-kicker Adam Vinatieri and safety Melvin Bullitt, and is in discussions with running back Joseph Addai and offensive lineman Charlie Johnson.

THIS IS THE LINK

*whistle blowing*...."False start number 71 of the offense. Five yard penalty, repeat third down." God! how does he get flagged and it's not even pre-season yet? Yea...we should definitely cut him haha

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/06/steelers-offensive-line-most-penalized-line-in-2010/

I think we should cut Diem, but the false start issue is greatly overblown.

He had ten penalties last season (not all false starts, by the way). Compare that with one of the best tackles in the NFL, Jake Long, who had eight. That's 1.47% of pass plays for Diem, and 1.44% of pass plays for Scott.

The Colts are expected to release a veteran or two in order to be in compliance with the league’s $120.3 million salary cap. Right tackle Ryan Diem has been asked to take a cut from his $5.4 million salary, or be released.

The team has re-signed place-kicker Adam Vinatieri and safety Melvin Bullitt, and is in discussions with running back Joseph Addai and offensive lineman Charlie Johnson.

THIS IS THE LINK

I would think they would have cut him outright save for the lockout and want him at less money for insurance untill the rookies are up to speed and then as signed hes depth

Quick guess at opening day O-Line

LT-Castonzo

LG-McClendon

C-Saturday

RG-Ijalana

LT-Johnson (pending re-sign but it looks like it's obviously going to happen)

Guard spots could be flipped, but yeah.

LT Castonzo

LG Johnson

C Saturday

RG McClendon/Ijalana

RT Linkenbach/Ijalana

personally i thought linkenbach did a great job filling in for diem last year. ijalana probably needs some time to adjust from villanova to the NFL. just my opinion

Colts20593, on 30 July 2011 - 02:33 AM, said:

Quick guess at opening day O-Line

LT-Castonzo

LG-McClendon

C-Saturday

RG-Ijalana

LT-Johnson (pending re-sign but it looks like it's obviously going to happen)

Guard spots could be flipped, but yeah.

LT Castonzo

LG Johnson

C Saturday

RG McClendon/Ijalana

RT Linkenbach/Ijalana

personally i thought linkenbach did a great job filling in for diem last year. ijalana probably needs some time to adjust from villanova to the NFL. just my opinion

all Depends on if rookies can be brought up to speed , sure hope so

THIS IS THE LINK

Diem is landmark under the new economics and Polian way, most particularly. The team has clearly drawn a new line between financial suicide with regard to highly paid players on their downside and/or inability to contribute. We've seen other examples in-house this offseason. I like the mindset because there's a difference between honorable intentions (still intact with regard to Diem) and self destruction. I believe the organization has turned a HUGE self realization corner and even better times for the team lie ahead.

Diem is landmark under the new economics and Polian way, most particularly. The team has clearly drawn a new line between financial suicide with regard to highly paid players on their downside and/or inability to contribute. We've seen other examples in-house this offseason. I like the mindset because there's a difference between honorable intentions (still intact with regard to Diem) and self destruction. I believe the organization has turned a HUGE self realization corner and even better times for the team lie ahead.

This is no different than how they have operated in the past. They have never been hesitant to cut or let walk high priced players whose production failed to match their salary.

This is no different than how they have operated in the past. They have never been hesitant to cut or let walk high priced players whose production failed to match their salary.

Things are different. This offseason has seen Sanders and Hart cut....both stayed longer than they should have taking up roster spots and cash (Sanders) because of bad team decision making in what had become the norm. Diem was given a choice - reduce salary/get cut...this while he was still able to contribute. In Diem's case, this is a break from Colt M.O. which has been - earn your way on as a starter, prove yourself, then get a hefty contract which the team will honor and expects you to play out as long as you can contribute. But the team is clearly seeing value for what it is these days. The team was still willing to have him back but at a reasonable cost in order to make it work. That's a lot better than destroying ourselves as has been the norm in the recent past. Even as far as Manning is concerned, Irsay said 25M is not doable. All of this is significant evolution.

In years past I recall the Corey Simon low return on monster FA contract mess which is well documented & there was no alternative but to let the character go. Then there was Marvin Harrison...who was a shadow of himself after being injured, and that situation (combined with gun mess in Philly) is well documented.

What other big money guys who have failed to earn their way as Colts & have had their contract agreements shortened are you talking about?

The Colts have made mistakes not resigning players like Jake Scott, Marshall Faulk, and take your pick at LB, but their contract agreements weren't shortened.

Unless Kelvin Hayden plays lights-out I expect he'll be the next one getting the talk. His guarantee/bonus situation make it impossible to give an ultimatum in 2011...but if he doens't live up to the elite pay he's set to make in 2012 and 2013 I believe he'll be looking at a Diem situation. Again, that's a welcome break from Colt norm.

edit to add: I remember Steve Emtman from years back, as well. This is my Colts all-time woulda/coulda guy. Injuries from the getgo but phenomenal potential never realized. I can't remember exactly....but I think he played one out of first three season with the team and was then asked to take a reduction or get cut. That makes 3 big ones I can recall right off the top of my head over the years & then all the goings on in 2011 by comparison. Again, with Diem the difference is he's still able to play and doesn't have the injury/non-contribution factors like Sanders, Hart, Harrison, Simon and Emtman.

Things are different. This offseason has seen Sanders and Hart cut....both stayed longer than they should have taking up roster spots and cash (Sanders) because of bad team decision making in what had become the norm. Diem was given a choice - reduce salary/get cut...this while he was still able to contribute. In Diem's case, this is a break from Colt M.O. which has been - earn your way on as a starter, prove yourself, then get a hefty contract which the team will honor and expects you to play out as long as you can contribute. But the team is clearly seeing value for what it is these days. The team was still willing to have him back but at a reasonable cost in order to make it work. That's a lot better than destroying ourselves as has been the norm in the recent past. Even as far as Manning is concerned, Irsay said 25M is not doable. All of this is significant evolution.

In years past I recall the Corey Simon low return on monster FA contract mess which is well documented & there was no alternative but to let the character go. Then there was Marvin Harrison...who was a shadow of himself after being injured, and that situation (combined with gun mess in Philly) is well documented.

What other big money guys who have failed to earn their way as Colts & have had their contract agreements shortened are you talking about?

The Colts have made mistakes not resigning players like Jake Scott, Marshall Faulk, and take your pick at LB, but their contract agreements weren't shortened.

Unless Kelvin Hayden plays lights-out I expect he'll be the next one getting the talk. His guarantee/bonus situation make it impossible to give an ultimatum in 2011...but if he doens't live up to the elite pay he's set to make in 2012 and 2013 I believe he'll be looking at a Diem situation. Again, that's a welcome break from Colt norm.

edit to add: I remember Steve Emtman from years back, as well. This is my Colts all-time woulda/coulda guy. Injuries from the getgo but phenomenal potential never realized. I can't remember exactly....but I think he played one out of first three season with the team and was then asked to take a reduction or get cut. That makes 3 big ones I can recall right off the top of my head over the years & then all the goings on in 2011 by comparison. Again, with Diem the difference is he's still able to play and doesn't have the injury/non-contribution factors like Sanders, Hart, Harrison, Simon and Emtman.

First off using Hart as evidence to support your argument tells me that your point is not that strong. He is a league minimum type of guy and those guys get cut all the time.

How different is Harrison v. Diem? Injury or not the point is they no longer merited the salaries they were making and were cut as a result.

Lilja was cut 2 years into a big contract. And if you are going back to Emtman, then let me throw in Dilger and Stokely who also had years remaining on their contract. As well as Ugoh. This is just off the top.

This is not only the standard Colts M.O it is pretty much what the league does as well. The Colts have never been afraid to cut a under-performing player regardless of salary considerations. I just don't see how the Diem situation is a departure from the past.