Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PHI @ IND Post-game discussion: defense

21isSuperman

We've always been a bad defense with a great pass rush. All those years under Dungy Freeney and Mathis were the wheels on the bus that went round and round.

Now it appears that the rest of our defense is actually pretty damn good, but what's this?

We have one of the worst (possibly THE worst) pass rushes in the game.

How does that even happen?

was the story about Mathis praising Werner even real ? lol

We've always been a bad defense with a great pass rush. All those years under Dungy Freeney and Mathis were the wheels on the bus that went round and round.

Now it appears that the rest of our defense is actually pretty damn good, but what's this?

I can honestly say Robert Mathis WAS the defense last year...He is literally the whole defense  

This is the side of the field I'm really upset with.. Manusky should be the coach under fire. Absolutely no pass rush. I'll hope that our defense was gashed with the Eagles and Broncos high powered offenses but if we can't pressure the Jags who allowed 10 sacks to the Redskins, something has to change I don't care what the result of the game is.

Also Manusky's game planning. Did it not involve Sproles! Or screen passes! You can't make adjustments! Come on.

This is the side of the field I'm really upset with.. Manusky should be the coach under fire. Absolutely no pass rush. I'll hope that our defense was gashed with the Eagles and Broncos high powered offenses but if we can't pressure the Jags who allowed 10 sacks to the Redskins, something has to change I don't care what the result of the game is.

Also Manusky's game planning. Did it not involve Sproles! Or screen passes! You can't make adjustments! Come on.

If we can't put pass rush on the jags. I might volunteer to join the team to play OLB.

Without Mathis, the only way we'll see a decent pass rush is from dialing up creative blitzes, which weren't there tonight. The multitude of weapons the Eagles had at their disposal made us keep our safeties and ILB's in coverage almost all game. They had to respect the run, pass and screen games and made our 3/4 man rushes have to beat their line. That of course just didn't happen.

I'm not all the way sold on Werner either, but in his defense I will say he's had to generate pressure against Ryan Clady, and in this game Jason Peters.  Those are two Pro Bowl tackles he's had to deal with.  He didn't get the luxury of playing against any of those back up lineman like Walden did.  In my mind we should do a much better job of moving him around and finding mismatches.  Instead we continuously run him into Pro Bowlers for the entire game.

I'm not all the way sold on Werner either, but in his defense I will say he's had to generate pressure against Ryan Clady, and in this game Jason Peters.  Those are two Pro Bowl tackles he's had to deal with.  He didn't get the luxury of playing against any of those back up lineman like Walden did.  In my mind we should do a much better job of moving him around and finding mismatches.  Instead we continuously run him into Pro Bowlers for the entire game.

Walden was lined up on Peters more often than not 

On top if the non existent pass rush, I think our D was just getting exhausted and worn down as the game went on. Philly goes at a rapid pace. We missed some tackles for sure. But we also tackled well at times. And we must remember who alot of the missed tackles came against. Two guys that make alot of defenders miss and look bad. This lack of pass rush if we dont find one somehow us gonna hurt us and really effect how effective our D can be. I pray seriously that our coaching staff and management look very hard at this problem and try to get an effective solution.

you let your franchise sack leader at the time leave because he's old and then trade your former first round pick because of lack of production to that point and bank on another first round pick while your all world pass rusher is suspended and gets hurt.

The pass rush was not the greatest,but the defense isn`t guilty to loose this game.

Werner plays the second time , a pro on the other side ...not easy for a young guy.

Walden play,what he play all time...the most running games goes over his side and the middle.

The defense get better...but is not horrible..