Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King Predicts Super Bowl: GB 30, IND 23

Andrew Luck's Beard

Making the Super Bowl this year would be overachieving.  I think we should put up a strong fight in the divisional round and make it to the AFCCG.  I also think the team is a year away, but we are getting close to being perennial contenders.  The lack of depth at OL and S is concerning.  I think next year we can start talking about Super Bowl aspirations

I think the team is a year...maybe two away, Need better O Line depth, Need a Safety and we need an Offensive Coordinator who will adjust to his talent and stick to it

I'm not much of a Pep fan....   but I hope he delivers this year....

But he adjusted on the fly nicely last year to using the no huddle offense a fair amount...   and it worked pretty well.

For a guy who had/has a terrible interior OL and question marks and problems at RB,  I don't think he's as bad as you seem to think he is......

As for making the Super Bowl this year.....

I think sometimes the media tries too hard to come up with a new fresh name....   a new flavor of the month....

And it appears we're it with USA Today and Peter King.     King should know better.   He should know our problems.   And he should know our defense is not ready for that king of stage.    I confess I'm a bit surprised at his call....

I don't see it.....   yet.

I still think we're a year or two away....

I think the team is a year...maybe two away, Need better O Line depth, Need a Safety and we need an Offensive Coordinator who will adjust to his talent and stick to it

This team has Andrew Luck, and weapons for him to toss the rock around to. The defense is good too. 

This year is just as good as any.

I think sometimes the media tries too hard to come up with a new fresh name....   a new flavor of the month....

And it appears we're it with USA Today and Peter King.     King should know better.   He should know our problems.   And he should know our defense is not ready for that king of stage.    I confess I'm a bit surprised at his call....

I believe they are making a wise choice this year. 

It could easily be our year.

I think health is the biggest factor.

Last year proved that, when healthy, this team can compete with anyone and now the Colts are very deep at DL which was a weakness last year. Now O line still needs time to gel, but there are signs it's getting better especially in pass blocking.

Safety seems to be the weak link, but we'll just have to see.

I think health is the biggest factor.

Last year proved that, when healthy, this team can compete with anyone and now the Colts are very deep at DL which was a weakness last year. Now O line still needs time to gel, but there are signs it's getting better especially in pass blocking.

Safety seems to be the weak link, but we'll just have to see.

And that is the key. Once we can toss it around as we please then it will create opportunities for Andrew to audible into effective running plays.

Pep was forced to adjust, He also has not shown with any consistency to know much in the form of proper route concepts...especially at the goal line or inside the red zone, And don't even get me started on his inability to create mismatches or run crossing routes to take advantage of the speed we have at receiver. Im hoping he has learned to adjust, Though I also put much of it on Luck for not checking out certain plays, Maybe he cant still..But to me it looks like sometimes he can

Pep was forced to adjust, He also has not shown with any consistency to know much in the form of proper route concepts...especially at the goal line or inside the red zone, And don't even get me started on his inability to create mismatches or run crossing routes to take advantage of the speed we have at receiver. Im hoping he has learned to adjust, Though I also put much of it on Luck for not checking out certain plays, Maybe he cant still..But to me it looks like sometimes he can

Hilarious.

Pep has known how to do all these thing for many years i am sure.

You just borrow from any of dozens of great coaches from the last 40 years.

How this can be difficult to get i find absolutely bizzarre.

What's wrong with our defense? Where are we weak?

Luck was calling audibles back at Stanford.     He can do it easily.

Why he doesn't do it more with the Colts,  I don't know.   But he can.....

Otherwise,  I don't have a lot of arguments with Pep and route concepts as well as his decisions at the goal line or red zone and mismatches.....   those are all issues he's going to have to address this year....

We'll find out over the next four months.

I believe!!!

I think the Colts CAN go to the Super Bowl this year and actually might!

Buuuuuut.... O-Line ONCE AGAIN is a major issue and some people don't realize how important having a good offensive line is! Some really bad teams that have a good offensive line can overachieve!

Offensive line will be a major issue also our whole injury prone team is another issue we must deal with all season!

Super Bowl is still possible!

What's wrong with our defense? Where are we weak?

I thought New Orleans put on a clinic against us....

But we are run defense is poor until it proves itself this year....

The Colts have one quality pass rusher and in today's NFL,  I don't think that's enough...

Plus,  I think we have a question mark at corner opposite Davis....   and I think we have two question marks at Safety.

I think the defense this year will be better than last year....   the big question for me is....   How much better?

Until we find that out,  I don't see a defense that gets us deep into the playoffs.

I thought New Orleans put on a clinic against us....

But we are run defense is poor until it proves itself this year....

The Colts have one quality pass rusher and in today's NFL,  I don't think that's enough...

Plus,  I think we have a question mark at corner opposite Davis....   and I think we have two question marks at Safety.

I think the defense this year will be better than last year....   the big question for me is....   How much better?

Until we find that out,  I don't see a defense that gets us deep into the playoffs.

1st That wasn't our starting defense vs NO.

2nd All of your other points are hypotheticals, You are already saying Werner / Walden can't pass rush, but we have already seen Werner can. Toler has proven to be a good CB when healthy, which he is right now. I think the safeties have played fine.

To say that the defense is holding us back from the big game is reckless. Let's let them play before we pass that judgment.

1st That wasn't our starting defense vs NO.

2nd All of your other points are hypotheticals, You are already saying Werner / Walden can't pass rush, but we have already seen Werner can. Toler has proven to be a good CB when healthy, which he is right now. I think the safeties have played fine.

To say that the defense is holding us back from the big game is reckless. Let's let them play before we pass that judgment.

????

We've seen no such thing from Werner -- yet.     When he does it in the regular season -- THEN we'll have seen it.

I like Toler as much as anyone here.    But,  can he stay healthy for 16 games?    History says no.   I hope he can this year.

Our safeties are giant question marks.

Nothing I've said is....   reckless.    If you're using that word here,  then I'm not sure you know what it means.

All this is....   is my opinion.

Just as your views are your opinions,  and I don't see them as reckless.      We just disagree,   that's all.

I think we can all agree that the best teams don't necessarily make it to the SB every year.  Heck, the year we won it we weren't the best.  And the year before that and in 09, I'd say we were.

This team could easily be a SB contender.  It's just a matter of health.

I think we can all agree that the best teams don't necessarily make it to the SB every year.  Heck, the year we won it we weren't the best.  And the year before that and in 09, I'd say we were.

This team could easily be a SB contender.  It's just a matter of health.

...and a few breaks. Maybe the Pats get upset by the Ravens before we can get to them or something :).

dear god man, give the guy some time.  He's only had one season to install his offense, and during that one season he dealt with numerous injuries to the OL as well as losing Wayne, Allen, Ballard etc.  That's going to hamper some of the game-planning and play-calling.  

How many times has a team brought in a new OC to run a completely new system, and have it purring right out of the gate?  

You give me a blood pressure spike every time you post something on "route concepts." 

????

We've seen no such thing from Werner -- yet.     When he does it in the regular season -- THEN we'll have seen it.

If that's the case then the "clinic" that NO put on us doesn't mean anything either.  If you're concerned because of the NO game then you can't really dismiss anything from the previous games or even the good things from that game because they have to show it in the regular season.  That's a bit of a contradiction.

Pep had enough talent last year to do some of what I mentioned in my last post even with Wayne and Allen down(Do I think it would have made up completely for our O Line? No but certain things would have helped...actually a lot)..Crossing routes for example which would have forced a Safety to have to stay back and ILB's, he also did not seem to grasp that the O Line last year was not cut out for Man Blocking

If that's the case then the "clinic" that NO put on us doesn't mean anything either.  If you're concerned because of the NO game then you can't really dismiss anything from the previous games or even the good things from that game because they have to show it in the regular season.  That's a bit of a contradiction.

Werner is a 2nd year player, who due to injury and learning a new position, didn't show much.

So, he has no real track record.

Sean Peyton and Drew Brees, on the other hand, have fantastic track records.

This was the 3rd game of the pre-season,  the one that means the most.   New Orleans showed up and delivered.    But the Colts laid in egg.

I'm not saying the pre-season is completely worthless.

I'm saying we haven't seen enough from Warner in real games that matter to give him much credit yet.

But New Orleans gets the benefit of any doubt because they have a fabulous track record.

I think that's very different.....

This team has Andrew Luck, and weapons for him to toss the rock around to. The defense is good too. 

This year is just as good as any.

Exactly!!! Theirs not one team in the NFL without problems in one area or another. So to say were a year or two away then every team in the NFL is a year or two away. They said that about Seattle last season. I have a lot of respect for Peter King and his opinion. 

Pep had enough talent last year to do some of what I mentioned in my last post even with Wayne and Allen down(Do I think it would have made up completely for our O Line? No but certain things would have helped...actually a lot)..Crossing routes for example which would have forced a Safety to have to stay back and ILB's, he also did not seem to grasp that the O Line last year was not cut out for Man Blocking

And that talent was exceptionally young, inexperienced and the OL shuffle prevented any type of real continuity from developing.  They also did run crossing routes last year.  As for the OL, as has already been pointed out, as the season went on, he did adjust the play calling to open up the offense more and go from more of a shotgun attack, utilizing Brown especially from spread looks.

Bottom line, the offense adjusted and transformed as the season went on so that clearly shows Pep's willingness and ability to adapt on the fly.  Was he perfect? No, far from it.  But it's far too early to say he's not the OC that can take the Colts to a SB.

Werner is a 2nd year player, who due to injury and learning a new position, didn't show much.

So, he has no real track record.

This was the 3rd game of the pre-season,  the one that means the most.   New Orleans showed up and delivered.    But the Colts laid in egg.

I'm not saying the pre-season is completely worthless.

I'm saying we haven't seen enough from Warner in real games that matter to give him much credit yet.

But New Orleans gets the benefit of any doubt because they have a fabulous track record.

I think that's very different.....

eh, just because the 3rd preseason means "the most" doesn't mean it really means all that much..it just means it means more than the other 3.  I still put very little stock into it because, regardless of the fact that coaches say they actually gameplan for that third game, I don't buy the fact that those gameplans are still only going to be using the most vanilla of plays.  

Can we mention that fact that the Jets have had a good track record of being a good running team but the Colts shut them down, or does it not matter because that was the first preseason game? :P

Also, in the NO game, Werner and Walden were both getting pressure, they just weren't getting home.  They don't necessarily always have to get home, because if they can get the QB to step up in the pocket then the DL should be able to finish the play.  However I will say in that game, the NO OL seemed to dominate the Colts DL in pass protection.  I did only watch the game once and only the first half, but the Colts DL was getting a much better push in the previous 2 games.  It should also be noted that Brees is one of the best QB's in the game in terms of pocket presence, awareness and pocket mobility.  He's not sacked very often, even by the greatest pass rushers in the league.

Then there's also the fact that Montori Hughes was attending the funeral of his 4 year old daughter that same day.  Perhaps the team as a whole was a bit off because their hearts and their thoughts were with their teammate?  

I'm just saying, I'm not taking that, or any of the preseason games as a clear indicator that the Colts defense is or is not at a point that it can help the Colts win a SB.  I do agree that remains to be seen.  However, from my observations both last year and so far this year, I do believe the defense will be MUCH improved and will be the type of defense that could get the Colts to a SB.  I believe we have a far superior defense now than we did in either '06 or '09.

Exactly!!! Theirs not one team in the NFL without problems in one area or another. So to say were a year or two away then every team in the NFL is a year or two away. They said that about Seattle last season. I have a lot of respect for Peter King and his opinion.

Lots of people were picking Seattle for the SB last yr.

Why don't we let them play a real game first before jumping to that conclusion.

Well seeing as Landry missed a large chunk of games last year and Howell has yet to play and missed time last year, it's fair to say they are injury prone. How is playing a real game first relevant to injury history?

Yes, I do think Sean Payton realized that with the loss of Sproles and how Seattle had issues with T.Y, he drafted Brandin Cooks. That guy always has a method to his madness, I believe.